Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 257430 times)

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Re: The "Apple Thread": iCloud (Fall) + Lion (July)
« Reply #1540 on: June 27, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
People are really over reacting to this. They said that they are planning on implementing the features that people are bitching about. Starting with the one i posted above. This is a 1.0 release. I don't know of any 1.0 software title that has every feature you could possibly want.
Well if it is a 1.0 then they should've marketed it as such and not as Final Cut Pro X. It's that simple. Nobody's overreacting, the thing is Apple are not as holy to everyone else as they are to you. They are a company like any other.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1541 on: June 27, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
They said it was a complete rewrite. A brand new software app that is different from the old Final Cut. It has a name but the version is 1.0. What is the big deal they are charging 700 dollars less and they will give you a refund if you aren't happy WHAT THE FUCK? No one said it was about being holy.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1542 on: June 27, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
The point is that they aren't charging less because it a different program.
Sure they can sell add-ons and upgrades and maybe it'll still come out as less but people were expecting a program with the same capabilities as the previous Final Cut Pro and thus were disappointed, and hence complaining. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1543 on: June 27, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
They said it was a complete rewrite. A brand new software app that is different from the old Final Cut. It has a name but the version is 1.0. What is the big deal they are charging 700 dollars less and they will give you a refund if you aren't happy WHAT THE FUCK? No one said it was about being holy.

Because Final Cut Pro is professional level software.  A 700 dollar discount to a multi-million dollar production is irrelevant.  The loss of features is.  When you TAKE AWAY features from your consumers they've been using for years, you're screwing them.  You're not seeing this from the point of view of the customer at all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:55:39 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1544 on: June 27, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
And what is stopping anyone from using their current version until the new one is up to par?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1545 on: June 27, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »
And what is stopping anyone from using their current version until the new one is up to par?

Because if you don't have a copy then finding one on the used market is tough.

Also, as someone who's getting Final Cut soon, this is a huge mixed blessing.  On one hand, for only $200 more I can have the same level of software as the pros, but on the other it seems to be missing crucial features like multi-camera editing.  I still want to know how you make such a basic mistake.  It's not like they left out a semi-obscure feature that it turns out people actually want.  Multi-camera editing makes things 1000% easier.

What I want to know is what is stopping you from understanding the perspective of the people who buy Apple's products?

EDIT:  I just read again - no support for Red Cameras?  Why make an affordable professional video editing software that can't be used with an affordable professional movie camera?  What!?!?!?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:47:47 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1546 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
Because they paid $300 for the new one. And sure it's refundable but it's still a pain to deinstall, and reinstall the old one.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1547 on: June 27, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »
Because I would return a product I wasn't happy with and continue using what I was using or use a different product. Apple or no apple. I've done it before and I'll probably do it again. Yeah it sucks that it doesn't have the feature you want but if you're ot happy get your money back and use what you are using and wait until they improve it, when it's not a 1.0 release or buy a different  software title from a different company if you are really that pissed. I just think the internet likes to bitch just to bitch. Why would someone buy a 1.0 software title and expect it to have every feature and work flawlessly. There are ALWAYs bugs and missing features in 1.0 software no matter WHAT company it is.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:07:24 PM by tjanuranus »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1548 on: June 27, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »
Because I would return a product I wasn't happy with and continue using what I was using or use a different product. Apple or no apple. I've done it before and I'll probably do it again. Yeah it sucks that it doesn't have the feature you want but if you're ot happy get your money back and use what you are using and wait until they improve it, when it's not a 1.0 release or buy a different  software title from a different company if you are really that pissed. I just think the internet likes to bitch just to bitch. Why would someone buy a 1.0 software title and expect it to have every feature and work flawlessly. There are ALWAYs bugs and missing features in 1.0 software no matter WHAT company it is.

Bugs are understandable, features are not.  If your customers expect your product to handle multi-camera editing and RED camera files, don't release the product until it can do those things.
Over and over again

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1549 on: June 27, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »

Bugs are understandable, features are not.  If your customers expect your product to handle multi-camera editing and RED camera files, don't release the product until it can do those things.

Ok so they made a mistake by releasing the product to early. Everyone get their money back, problem solved. Then when the add these features buy it again for 700 less than they were charging before. Doesn't sound like anything to flip out about. I don't get it. I use Logic studio and I'm used to the features. If they released a new one without features i use i wouldn't buy it or if i did i would get my money back.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1550 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
I think you're flipping out more than anyone else in this thread...

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1551 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:32 PM »
I'm not.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Over and over again

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1553 on: June 28, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »
This is pretty damning against FCPX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXepNCs_iZo

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1554 on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »

I feel really bewildered and confused right now.  A huge percentage of why I wanted to buy a Mac was to get Final Cut, and apparently Apple decided to ruin the program.  Should I just get a PC instead and learn Avid?  What gives here?

Like, a couple weeks ago I would have said "no way Final Cut Pro won't eventually take over film editing.  I need to get in on the future, which is easier to learn anyway.  All set to go."  Now all the sudden it looks like Apple's possibly giving up on the professional market completely... for some reason.  I have no idea how to read the Tea Leaves here.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:11:50 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: June 29, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
I think this was a real failure of marketing.  Was this new program supposed to be a budget version for those who wanted the bare essentials (loose definition of essential) while continuing with FCP7 for professional use?  If this was the plan and they marketed it as such, I'm sure people wouldn't be as upset as they have been.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1556 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »
I think this was a real failure of marketing.  Was this new program supposed to be a budget version for those who wanted the bare essentials (loose definition of essential) while continuing with FCP7 for professional use?  If this was the plan and they marketed it as such, I'm sure people wouldn't be as upset as they have been.

FCP7 has been discontinued.  This is meant to be the Pro/Prosumer editing program from Apple.  That would be nice except for the fact that it doesn't have a myriad of features pro editors demand.
Over and over again

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1557 on: June 29, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

You can't even open files made in the pervious version?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1558 on: June 29, 2011, 05:12:55 AM »
Since when did pro film developers import stuff from iMovie?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
Do all these changes to Final Cut apply to Premiere Pro as well?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1560 on: June 29, 2011, 08:38:42 AM »
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/apple-posts-final-cut-pro-x-faq-promises-updates/

Apple Posts Final Cut Pro X FAQ, Promises Updates

Apple has quietly posted a FAQ for Final Cut Pro X in response to the many questions and criticisms. (via 9to5Mac). The FAQ appears not to be linked from Apple's main site, and has not yet been publicized.
Final Cut Pro X is a breakthrough in nonlinear video editing. The application has impressed many pro editors, and it has also generated a lot of discussion in the pro video community. We know people have questions about the new features in Final Cut Pro X and how it compares with previous versions of Final Cut Pro. Here are the answers to the most common questions we’ve heard.

The FAQ mirrors some of the same issues addressed in David Pogue's article with responses from Apple product managers, but also gives a few more specifics.

Regarding importing from Final Cut Pro 7, Apple says that due to the many changes there was no way to "translate" old projects without losing or changing data. So, Apple suggests that users continue to use Final Cut Pro 7 for existing projects.

As for Multicam editing, Apple again promises that "it will" support it. The "next major release" will provide "great multicam support".

Another feature they promise will be coming is export of XML. They say they "know how important XML export" is to their users and expect to add it to Final Cut Pro X. A set of APIs will be released in the next few weeks so that 3rd party developers can access the "next-generation XML in Final Cut Pro X". Similiarly, OMF, AAF and EDL support should become available through 3rd parties once the API is available. One third party solution is already available for OMF and AMF export.

Finally, assigning audio tracks for export is promised for a "summer" update which will "allow you to use metadata tags to categorize your audio clips by type and export them directly from Final Cut Pro X."

Final Cut Pro X was released just last week, but was met with significant complaints due to missing features. The rest of the FAQ provides some more details that may be of interest to professional video editors.

https://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1561 on: June 29, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Granted they can make all these updates it's curious to see Apple rush an unfinished product. The reasons for the severely diminished pricetag is become all the more clear.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1562 on: June 30, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »
Ok with all the tech bitching that goes on it's nice to read a positive story once in a while about how this great new technology changes lives. This comes on the heels of Apple announcing over 100,000 Ipad apps today in the app store. (not iphone apps that can be used on the ipad.)

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/ipad-becomes-the-apple-of-hollys-eye/story-fn7x8me2-1226083773188

iPad becomes the Apple of Holly's eye

Holly's iPad is a hit with her schoolmates. Picture: Ben Swinnerton Herald Sun

A MELBOURNE schoolgirl with a sight disorder has become a poster child for Apple's iPad.

Holly Bligh, 9, has albinism, a genetic condition that affects not only the pigment in her skin, hair and eyes, but also her vision.

But the sight problems that once made school a struggle for Holly are now largely a thing of the past - and her parents thank her touch-screen tablet.

The iPad has replaced a weighty magnifying glass as Holly's classroom companion, and a simple swipe of her finger now zooms in on text that once had to be enlarged by teachers on the photocopier.

Holly's attention span has increased and her mother, Fiona, estimates "visual fatigue" now takes twice as long to set in.

"Holly's enthusiasm to read has grown so much, and it's definitely increased her independence," Ms Bligh said.

So impressed was Ms Bligh with her daughter's transformation that she sent a message to the very top at Apple.

Within hours of directly emailing multi-billionaire chief executive Steve Jobs, she was thrilled to receive a response.

"Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Do you mind if I read your email to a group of our top 100 leaders at Apple?" he wrote.

Mr Jobs signed off with "Thanks, Steve", and asked for a high-resolution photo of Holly with her iPad.

"I never thought we would hear back," Ms Bligh said.

"I know a lot of people think it's just a great gadget, but it's completely changed Holly's life."

Ms Bligh and her husband, James, were unaware they carried the recessive gene for albinism - and therefore a one-in-four chance of having an albino baby - until Holly, their third child, arrived.

Their family followed the textbook, with Holly the only one of four Bligh children inheriting albinism and nystagmus, a condition characterised by the involuntary flicker of the eyes.

Ms Bligh said the condition meant Holly would always have some limitations, such as being unable to drive. But it won't hold her back.

"Holly's very adaptable and she's got a fantastic attitude," Ms Bligh said.

And now she is cool with her schoolmates.

"All the other kids think it's awesome that she gets an iPad!" Ms Bligh wrote to the Apple boss. "Sometimes in the past Holly has found her extra equipment embarrassing ... But the iPad has a coolness factor!"

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1563 on: July 01, 2011, 12:45:07 AM »
It's great to know that Sonata's life has improved with the iPad.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/01/adobe-lures-unhappy-final-cut-pro-x-users-with-half-price-video/

To say the latest version of Final Cut Pro wasn't well received, would be a major understatement. Well, Adobe hasn't wasted any time taking advantage of consumer discontent, and is now offering dissatisfied users of Apple's video editing software a 50 percent discount to make the switch to its alternatives, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and CS5.5 Production Premium. If you're not feeling the latest iteration (or any version) of Final Cut Pro or Avid's Media Composer, the offer stands through September 30th. And here we thought Apple and Adobe had buried the hatchet.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1565 on: July 02, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/01/adobe-lures-unhappy-final-cut-pro-x-users-with-half-price-video/

To say the latest version of Final Cut Pro wasn't well received, would be a major understatement. Well, Adobe hasn't wasted any time taking advantage of consumer discontent, and is now offering dissatisfied users of Apple's video editing software a 50 percent discount to make the switch to its alternatives, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and CS5.5 Production Premium. If you're not feeling the latest iteration (or any version) of Final Cut Pro or Avid's Media Composer, the offer stands through September 30th. And here we thought Apple and Adobe had buried the hatchet.

That's beyond ballsy.  And maybe will serve as the wake up call Apple needs to realize that they have severe damage control to do.
Over and over again

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1566 on: July 02, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
OH SNAP..ple

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:49 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/07/09/apple-coughing-up-8-million-to-personal-audio-in-ipod-playlist/

Ah, the Eastern District of Texas. Home to tumbleweeds, free range cattle and boatloads of patent trolls. Personal Audio, a patent licensing company with a highfalutin' facility in Beaumont, Texas has become the latest outfit to claim victory over a major CE company, with Apple being asked to hand over $8 million to settle a tiff involving iPod playlists. Bloomberg reports that a federal jury in the Lonestar state found that Cupertino's iPod players infringed on patents for "downloadable playlists," right around two years after Personal Audio initially filed the claim for a staggering $84 million. We're told that the inventions cover "an audio player that can receive navigable playlists and can skip forward or backward through the downloaded list," and while Apple unsurprisingly stated that it wasn't actually using those very inventions, that hasn't stopped the courts from disagreeing just a wee bit. Now, the real question: are Sirius XM, Coby and Archos -- also named in the original suit -- going to be facing similar circumstances?

This is some stupid shit. Seriously? $8 million for downloadable playlists? I really don't think patents should be given out for things like this.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1568 on: July 09, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
That's clearly bull. Apple should refuse to pay.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1569 on: July 11, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1570 on: July 12, 2011, 04:11:12 AM »
I don't get it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1571 on: July 13, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »
Why I'm never bothering with Apple again... stemmed from the discussion in the Netflix thread.

Quote from: Tim
I received an iTunes gift card for Christmas a while back and added it to my account. I rarely use iTunes, except on the rare occasion that I can't find a physical copy of the movie I'm looking for, or if I install a digital copy of a movie. I logged in a few days ago to discover that several purchases were made using the gift card. All of them seem to be apps that I've never heard of (and I don't even own an iPhone or iPod).

My only legitimate purchases are Back to the Future and Ninja Assassin.

My city was changed to Towson, MD and the zip code to 21286-7840. I've never even been to Maryland. I take extreme caution to not store account information or to give out passwords. As I rarely use iTunes, this has been a significant experience in determining what movie and music software I use in the future. I have never had any account of any sort hacked in the past, and due to this, I've been forced to change the passwords tied to all my e-mail accounts, Facebook, chat clients, etc.

I trust this issue can be resolved quickly.

Thank you,
Tim
Quote from: Fuckheads
Dear Tim,

Greetings from Apple iTunes Store! My name is Sabrish and I will assist you today.

I understand you are reporting purchases that were made on your iTunes account without your permission or knowledge. I know how alarming it is when you become aware of unexpected purchases. I certainly understand your concern in this matter.

To prevent further unauthorized purchasing, I have disabled your account "**************". Please note that you can enable your iTunes Store account in the future by providing specific information to iTunes Store support as described at the end of this email.

Tim, I'm sorry, but under the circumstances the iTunes Store cannot reverse the charges for the unauthorized purchases.

I strongly recommend you change your account password immediately. Changing the password will help to prevent anyone else from using your iTunes Store account to place orders without your knowledge. To increase the security of your account I highly recommend that you follow the suggestions outlined in the following article:

iTunes Store: Best practices for protecting the security of your account
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4156

If you would like your iTunes Store account to be enabled, please reply to this email with the following information:

1) The billing address listed on the account, and

2) One of the following:

- the order number of your most recent legitimate purchase
- the name of any item you've purchased using this account

I will use the information you provide to re-enable your account.

Tim, I hope the above information is helpful. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to respond to this email and let me know.

Thank you for your interest in the iTunes Store. Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Sabrish
iTunes Store Customer Support

Note: I work from Friday to Tuesday, 11.00 A.M to 8.00 P.M (CST)

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.
Quote from: Tim
This is unacceptable. I have done much research and I am fully aware
that thousands of accounts have been compromised due to shoddy
security on Apple's side. I will NOT activate my account, and in the
future, I will never purchase anything by or affiliated with Apple. I
prefer to buy from reliable and trustworthy businesses. Obviously,
Apple does not qualify as such.
Quote from: Fuckheads
Dear Tim,

It's Sabrish again from the iTunes Store. I appreciate you for taking the time to write back.

I understand that you are concerned about the safety of your personal information in regards to the iTunes Store and the App Store. Your privacy is very important to Apple and we take numerous precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, and misuse, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.

The following page outlines, in detail, how Apple protects your information:

Apple Privacy Policy
https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

Tim, thanks for your understanding in this matter. Please do not hesitate to reply to this email if any further assistance is needed. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Thank you for your interest in the iTunes Store. Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Sabrish
iTunes Store Customer Support

Seriously? That's fucked up.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1572 on: July 13, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
*waits for tjanuranus to talk Apple out of it*

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »
*waits for tjanuranus to talk Apple out of it*

:lol
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1574 on: July 13, 2011, 11:31:08 AM »
That's pretty weak. I can kind of see their side, because then everybody could just say 'Hey I got hacked, give me free stuff.'

Then again, how hard would it have been for them to 'un-download' the purchases that you didn't authorize, refund whatever price it was plus $5 for your trouble? That way they aren't ripped off and you have your money back.

Simple Stuff Apple.