Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 257428 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "Apple Thread": iCloud (Fall) + Lion (July)
« Reply #1505 on: June 17, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »
I'm fairly confident it's not a streaming service.
And if they were, AAC 256 k/bps is pretty heavy to stream on a phone with just data plan (considering that your scenario was The Count of Tuscanyesque).

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1506 on: June 18, 2011, 05:50:44 PM »
Ok so there are talks that the ipad2 jailbreak will not allow piracy. Here is a good article on it and i agree with it.

https://lesspersonal.me/post/6667924555/anti-piracy-jailbreak-yes-please

Less Personal - Anti-Piracy Jailbreak? Yes, please.

If you’re current and up-to-date on news, then you probably have heard the rumors of Stefan Esser (@i0n1c) possibly working on an anti-piracy jailbreak. This is an idea that I’ve had for a few years but have never seen it implemented or taken seriously, however, this time it seems possible via a custom DRM solution that would make it possible for him to block jailbreak applications from running. This isn’t a great idea, it’s a fabulous one. We live in an age where people get on the defensive about not being able to do illegal things because “it’s their right to do whatever they want” which is a piss poor argument and plainly - idiotic. As Dissident from the Hackulous team, the people who make Installous, would put it:

The entire premise behind jailbreaking is that you’re able to do whatever you want with your device. It’s your device, you own it and you should be able to manipulate the software in any way that you like,”

“That doesn’t necessarily mean everything you do with it is legal, but that the manufacturer of the software and the hardware has no place in telling you how you use the device.”

“If a jailbreak author decides to add [his own] DRM to it, they are being extremely hypocritical,” he concluded.

Let me break this all down for you: He’s saying that because you bought an iPhone, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. He’s saying that because you bought something, your responsibility and morals are out the door. Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this the stereotypical teenager or too-lazy-to-care attitude? Of course it is. Let me put it this way. Murder is illegal. If you buy a gun, you shouldn’t murder people. According to Dissident, you should have the right to murder people because you bought a gun. Yes, I’m comparing pirating apps to murdering people because if you do either, you’re slime to me.

Next, he’s telling you that the people who’ve sold you said device or “gun” in this scenario have no right telling you how to use it. He’s saying those Warning labels on packs of ammunition aren’t to be read or even bothered with. He’s saying that the people who sold you the gun have no place telling you not to go on a killing spree with it.

Lastly, hypocritical. I’m starting tot hink he just threw this word in because it felt like a good time to use the word even without understanding it’s meaning. What is hypocritical about blocking access to piracy apps and allowing them? Not a thing. There’s people who release tweaks to allow you to mod the way Apple does this, there’s people who release apps that Apple won’t approve, and lastly, there’s people who simply enjoy that amount of customization that their granted. He used the word wrong, simply put, and there’s no solid defense against the idiocy that follows pirating an app that at most, is around 10 dollars.

Now, back to the subject. Taking about piracy, developers make 70% of sales for one app. Apple takes 30% and little teenagers who got their iPod Touch for Christmas say that they only pirate apps so Apple won’t get any of their money. But no no, they hate Apple - just love their devices. Makes perfect sense, right? Worst part is, they don’t care that in the end they’re stopping developers from gaining money off the app that they’ve devoted time and money into. On top of that, I think it’d be safe to say that the majority of apps that are pirated are made by independent developers or start up companies. For those of you who don’t know what that means, an independent developer is one person making one app by themselves. A start up company is basically a group of independent developers and designers trying to create a company for themselves and get their name out there. To evolve, in a sense. But these little kids who need to be able to pirate the full version of Words with Friends or unlock all the levels in Astronut are the ones who need to evolve. They need to get rid of this mentality that they don’t need to pay for apps, that this is perfectly fine and that by pirating apps, you look cooler. Truth is, pirating apps makes you look like a douchebag, but I guess that’s cool now?

One big argument is that adding this DRM makes it seem like Steffan would have complete control over what apps you can and can’t use. Honestly, do you think a leading head in the jailbreaking community would say “No, we don’t want you to play Real Racing 2” or block apps that have no horrible after effect? No. SImply put, no. His whole idea for helping with the jailbreak is to allow you to get passed what Apple’s barriers are preventing you from.

And then there’s the personal side of things. As a hacker or coder, however you would describe yourself, you should want to prevent these things from happening. You should want to help other developers because you know what it’s like creating something, trying to sell it and see people steal it. You know that feeling. You want respect from your fellow man, but also from the community as a whole. Who would have the mind to say otherwise? Little kids who can’t afford to buy new shoes so they still wear their talking Adidas that they got for their birthday 7 years ago. Those are the people who would try to push you down for preventing piracy. Everyone else would be right there with you supporting the entire idea and try to do the best they can to show that support.

In the end, jailbreaking to pirate apps is stupid. If you have a 300 - 600 dollar device and you can’t chuck a few bucks to buy an app - you’re retarded. Developers deserve the money, designers need the money, people need to stop running in circles. That’s all there is to it. It’s so simple and easy to understand that it makes me cringe that other people don’t get ti or have completely opposite views on it.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1507 on: June 21, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »
People who don't think like the author = murderers and retarded.

:therearenowords:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:40:41 AM by emindead »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1508 on: June 21, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
That is probably the most retarded tech-related article I've read since that one guy who said his son was buying two ipads so he could multitask.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1509 on: June 21, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Well you could've removed them from your computer when you removed them from iTunes but that's too late now. There's this function in iTunes that will create your Music folder, with artist and album maps for every song in your library. If you do that you can remove your "old" music folder completely.
How?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1510 on: June 21, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
*A load of tosh*

Holy strawmen batman!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #1511 on: June 22, 2011, 12:37:24 AM »
Well you could've removed them from your computer when you removed them from iTunes but that's too late now. There's this function in iTunes that will create your Music folder, with artist and album maps for every song in your library. If you do that you can remove your "old" music folder completely.
How?
Uhh, on Mac (but pretty sure it's the same on Windows) it's preferences>advanced and there'll be something like Location 'iTunes Media' folder. You can set the location, and underneath it there's two boxes you can check. The above will copy all the music currently in your library to your set folder in artist and album folders. If you also check the one underneath it will automatically copy the files to your set folder when you add new music.

Oh and also in the advanced tab, if you click reset all warnings then it will warn you again when you try to delete a file in iTunes and then you can click also delete from my computer.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1512 on: June 22, 2011, 02:16:58 AM »
That is probably the most retarded tech-related article I've read since that one guy who said his son was buying two ipads so he could multitask.

Why is it retarded? Because they are trying to eliminate piracy? I ton of developers are single or small group who put in a lot of hard work. I have no problem with people making it more difficult to impossible to pirate apps. It's not the same as the movie industry where a movie comes out in the theater, makes a ton of money and then makes even more money on DVD and then people pirate it. I'm not saying it's right but it's NOT the same. If they do this there would be NO way to pirate apps on iOS. IF they implement across all newer jailbreaks. That would be a MAJOR win for developers on the platform and a another incentive to write for iOS.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: June 22, 2011, 04:48:56 AM »
Isn't the fact that you can get free apps one of the reasons a lot of people jailbreak in the first place?

*A load of tosh*

Holy strawmen batman!
Also this.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1514 on: June 22, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »

Why is it retarded? Because they are trying to eliminate piracy? I ton of developers are single or small group who put in a lot of hard work. I have no problem with people making it more difficult to impossible to pirate apps. It's not the same as the movie industry where a movie comes out in the theater, makes a ton of money and then makes even more money on DVD and then people pirate it. I'm not saying it's right but it's NOT the same. If they do this there would be NO way to pirate apps on iOS. IF they implement across all newer jailbreaks. That would be a MAJOR win for developers on the platform and a another incentive to write for iOS.

It's retarded because of this:
We live in an age where people get on the defensive about not being able to do illegal things because “it’s their right to do whatever they want” which is a piss poor argument and plainly - idiotic.

Let me break this all down for you: He’s saying that because you bought an iPhone, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. He’s saying that because you bought something, your responsibility and morals are out the door.

His entire argument is based on the premise that the only reason people jailbreak is to pirate, which is simply false. He groups everyone who wants to hack or jailbreak their own hardware in with people who simply want to steal shit, and then argues against jailbreaking on that. It's a massive strawman.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1515 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:44 AM »

It's retarded because of this:
We live in an age where people get on the defensive about not being able to do illegal things because “it’s their right to do whatever they want” which is a piss poor argument and plainly - idiotic.

Let me break this all down for you: He’s saying that because you bought an iPhone, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. He’s saying that because you bought something, your responsibility and morals are out the door.

His entire argument is based on the premise that the only reason people jailbreak is to pirate, which is simply false. He groups everyone who wants to hack or jailbreak their own hardware in with people who simply want to steal shit, and then argues against jailbreaking on that. It's a massive strawman.

I've jailbroken before but it's mainly for myWI. And i paid for that app. I'm not against JB at all but I am against App Piracy.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1516 on: June 22, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
Apple Came out with a brand new Final Cut pro apparently re written from the ground up and dropped the price from 999.99 to 299.99 with more features to come soon from what i've heard. That's awesome.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1517 on: June 22, 2011, 11:33:03 PM »
I kinda wish Adobe would do that with Premiere.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: June 23, 2011, 05:43:47 AM »
I kind of wish Abode stopped making every single product cost £9,000,000 for each and every fucking license.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1519 on: June 23, 2011, 06:59:52 PM »
YEah my wife does a lot of graphic design and the prices are very high for adobe products! I wish apple would just buy them like they did emagic and other companies and incorporate it into their software lineup ala Logic Studio. Logic used to costs thousands when you added up each thing emagic sold for it now the entire thing is 499.99. c'mon apple just buy adobe and be done with it! Obviously they would need to support windows for everyone to be happy but they already to with itunes and safari. Apple has over 70 BIllion in cash that's just sitting there. That's insane. I heard rumors about them buying netflix but buying adobe would be awesome for everyone because the prices would come way down and they would probably keep the same engineers on like they did with logic.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1520 on: June 23, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
I know this isn't a big deal but i found this interesting...

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/icloud-logo-infused-with-golden-ratio/

iCloud Logo Infused With Golden Ratio

Apple's logo artists have infused the iCloud logo with some mathematical elegance. In this case, the golden ratio or φ.

The circles in the 'puffs' of the iCloud are sized in a ratio of 1:1.6, an approximation of golden ratio, as discovered by Australian designer Alan van Roemburg. It seems unlikely the proportion was unintentional; Apple's artists simply have an acute sense of the history of design and mathematics.

The golden ratio has been around since at least Euclid and Pythagoras. Fans of the Da Vinci Code should know it too, as Dan Brown has referenced φ several times in his books. No wonder iCloud seems so elegant and aesthetically pleasing.

Hat tip to John Gruber

Update: The original source of the image appears to have been Takamasa Matsumoto.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: June 24, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »
Skype accidentally uploaded a video of its upcoming iPad app onto YouTube as public. It quickly realized the mistake and marked the video as private but not before RazorianFly user Shason (@trackizmy1) managed to take a screen recording.

Take a look below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5G_CkPfDOU

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1522 on: June 24, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1523 on: June 24, 2011, 05:12:01 PM »
Skype accidentally uploaded a video of its upcoming iPad app onto YouTube as public. It quickly realized the mistake and marked the video as private but not before RazorianFly user Shason (@trackizmy1) managed to take a screen recording.

Take a look below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5G_CkPfDOU

Its about time.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: June 25, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »
Apple Came out with a brand new Final Cut pro apparently re written from the ground up and dropped the price from 999.99 to 299.99 with more features to come soon from what i've heard. That's awesome.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/06/25/apple-product-managers-respond-to-final-cut-pro-x-criticism/

Unfortunately, when starting from scratch, developers seem to have overlooked a few features that professional users have come to depend on, prompting widespread backlash -- both on internet forums and even on Apple's own App Store, where the $300 download-only app currently has a rating of just 2.5 stars (out of five), including nearly 500 one-star ratings. (Note: you must purchase the app before submitting a rating or review.) The New York Times spoke to product managers about these issues, which include an inability to import old FCP files, no multicamera editing, no support for RED cameras, and no ability to specify QuickTime export settings, among many others.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1525 on: June 25, 2011, 01:44:33 PM »
Yes but apple did say they will be adding those features. This is a1.0 release. No one is stopping anyone from using their preferred version until the features get added. So odd the behavior.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1526 on: June 25, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
Why couldn't they just... Do those as well? And maybe postpone the release a few months. They better make it a free upgrade.

Offline TL

« Reply #1527 on: June 26, 2011, 12:37:09 AM »
Honestly, I was soured to the whole notion of Final Cut when a professor at my university started requiring all of his students to use Final Cut, in spite of it being Mac exclusive, and 75% of the class using Windows based PCs.

On another note, I saw what is probably the most accurate advertisement for a Mac computer ever today in a Futureshop flyer;
The headline on one of the flyer pages literally said "MacBook. Oooooh, pretty...". Truth in advertising I guess.  :lol

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1528 on: June 26, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
Apple Says Multicam Support is "Top Priority" in FCP X and More

It's been three days since Apple released Final Cut Pro X, a complete redesign of its flagship video editing suite. Early reaction has been mixed at best, with users giving poor marks to the software on the Mac App Store and in reviews. Even Conan O'Brien poked fun at the new release.

Apple seems to be addressing concerns through David Pogue's column at the New York Times, assisting David with an extensive Q&A covering what's missing from Final Cut Pro X and giving some workarounds as well. One of the biggest complaints in FCP X was the lack of multicamera editing. Apple promises many more features and fixes, and notes that adding multicam is a "top priority":
Complaint: There’s no multicamera editing. In the old FCP, you could import the footage from various cameras that covered an event (say, a concert) from different angles simultaneously, and then easily cut back and forth between them while editing. It was a star feature of Final Cut, and it’s gone from FCP X.

Answer: Apple intends to restore this feature in an update, calling it “a top priority.” Until it does, here’s a stopgap facsimile of multicam editing: If you drag two clips into parallel timeline tracks, you can choose Clip->Synchronize Clips. By comparing their audio tracks, the program aligns the clips exactly. Now, each time you select a piece of the upper video track and press the V key (“disable”), you are effectively cutting to what’s on the lower video track.

The Q&A goes on for quite a while, and those FCPX users who have concerns would do well to give it a read.

Before the software came out, Final Cut Pro guru Larry Jordan warned against adopting Final Cut Pro X too quickly:
Whenever you've got something which is that big a re-write, stuff gets changed, stuff gets left out, stuff gets added later because they can't get it all re-written and I guarantee you that on day one when the dot zero release ships it will not be ready for professional use.

His advice seems especially prescient in the aftermath of the Final Cut Pro X launch.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1529 on: June 26, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
I read that there's a $50 add-on called Compressor or some such that includes several key features that aren't in FCPX. Stay classy, Apple.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1530 on: June 27, 2011, 05:47:11 AM »
I read that there's a $50 add-on called Compressor or some such that includes several key features that aren't in FCPX. Stay classy, Apple.

IF that's true what's wrong with that. Price before was 1000 dollars it's now 300. Even at 350 it's ridiculously cheap.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1531 on: June 27, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
I don't care what something costs. If you nerf features in a program just to make people pay more for an add-on, especially obvious small ones that should be put in like being able to make chapters for DVDs and formatting the file in different file types, that's shady business practice. We're talking features that people actually used in the past. If Apple seriously forgot to put those things in just make an update, not an "Oops we forgot!" pack you need to pay for.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1532 on: June 27, 2011, 06:37:50 AM »

IF that's true what's wrong with that. Price before was 1000 dollars it's now 300. Even at 350 it's ridiculously cheap.
You seriously see nothing wrong with that? To me, it looks like Apple handled it this way: OK so we redesigned Final Cut Pro. I think we would make maximum profit if we sell it at 350. No wait, we can make more money if we sell it for 300 but leave out key features so people will have to buy the $50 add-on to actually work with the program.

There's nothing wrong with a company trying to make as much profit as possible, but as orcus pointed out this just looks shady.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1533 on: June 27, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »
At the very least, if this was a planned thing, publicise the fact that you're releasing the new version with fewer features at a low price and allowing people to purchase the add-ons that they need for the type of work they do, saving them money overall. That sounds like a nice thing. Releasing a product and then later having an add-on seems like you either just forgot or didn't realize people actually used those features.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1534 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:06 AM »
... or wanted more money.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1535 on: June 27, 2011, 07:26:45 AM »
... or wanted more money.
I really don't buy that. Releasing a program for $350 with everything you need makes the company come off much better than releasing a stripped down version for $300, responding to outcries from customers, then releasing a $50 add-on. It just doesn't make sense when they're already dropping the price. If it used to be $1000, people would be thrilled with $500. Making more money doesn't appear to me to be the motive.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1536 on: June 27, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
HOW ARE THEY PRICE GOUGING? EVen with the add on it's 650 dollars less! WTF?

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1537 on: June 27, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
From what I've read it's actually a dumbed down version of FCP aimed more towards the "prosumer" types than professionals so you're not getting nearly the same amount of features in the $350 version as the full $1,000 FCP7.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1538 on: June 27, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
People are really over reacting to this. They said that they are planning on implementing the features that people are bitching about. Starting with the one i posted above. This is a 1.0 release. I don't know of any 1.0 software title that has every feature you could possibly want.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1539 on: June 27, 2011, 03:11:03 PM »
The format thing is kind of criminal. You don't release a photo editing software that only saves in Jpeg, even in a 1.0.