Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 220061 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3535 on: February 17, 2024, 08:27:50 AM »
Seasons 1 and 2 of The Sinner were great.  I was bored with season 3 (I think that's the one with Matt Bomer).  Season 4 was better. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3536 on: February 19, 2024, 06:31:07 AM »
We're 4 episodes into "Our Resident Alien" and loving it. It was added to Netflix last week.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3537 on: February 19, 2024, 07:04:55 AM »
I finished The Crown, great series overall.

Started Bodies, a murder mystery that follows 4 timelines (two past, one present and one future) where investigators stumble upon the same lifeless body. Very promising (I'm 2 episodes in), I hope it won't waste away its premise.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3538 on: February 19, 2024, 08:21:27 AM »
We're 4 episodes into "Our Resident Alien" and loving it. It was added to Netflix last week.
I just started that too.  Funny as hell.

Finished up True Detective: Night Country last night.  What an ending, and what a show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3539 on: February 19, 2024, 12:21:07 PM »
I liked the finale for True Detective but was tired last night when I watched it. I'm going to need a rewatch to fully grasp some details as I feel I didn't understand the motivation behind the sample contaminations. I was also hoping they would avoid the tropes of the previous seasons where it would be someone shown previously and they'd be responsible for the entire driving plot. Either way it was quite enjoyable and I'm content with the conclusion. I thought it was a strong season and certainly loved the whole unsettling vibe and I personally loved the characters, it could've used an additional episode or two but overall still pretty good arcs for all of them. The nods to S1 were more prominent I thought in the finale but don't think it deterred from the overal ending.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3540 on: February 19, 2024, 04:41:33 PM »
Really loved True Detective. I thought the last episode was great. The elements of horror/dread incorporated really worked for me. While answering many questions, a couple (or more) were left open to interpretation which I think is fine.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3541 on: February 20, 2024, 08:01:11 AM »
I liked the finale for True Detective but was tired last night when I watched it. I'm going to need a rewatch to fully grasp some details as I feel I didn't understand the motivation behind the sample contaminations. I was also hoping they would avoid the tropes of the previous seasons where it would be someone shown previously and they'd be responsible for the entire driving plot. Either way it was quite enjoyable and I'm content with the conclusion. I thought it was a strong season and certainly loved the whole unsettling vibe and I personally loved the characters, it could've used an additional episode or two but overall still pretty good arcs for all of them. The nods to S1 were more prominent I thought in the finale but don't think it deterred from the overal ending.

Yeah....all in all it was a good season and good watch. I'm on the fence of whether I really liked the 'spiritual' aspect they were intertwining with the story. I like how each character had that battle going on but the way they depicted it is what is bothering me. Can' decide if I liked how much they used it to tell the story or not.

I was satisfied with the explanation of it all....it made sense and was the most plausible explanation I suppose. I'd have liked for them to drop a few more bread crumbs to where it really solidified the explanation when it was revealed but I get that they wanted it to be a surprise. Still didn't explain how they all ended up in that twisted ball of ice and how her tongue got there but oh well. Not sure if I cared for the ambiguousness of Navarro's fate either....it falls in that realm of the spiritual stuff being open to interpretation which is fine and I get that they were trying to tie her to that where she made this huge spiritual advancement but I didn't care for her characters ending at all.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3542 on: February 20, 2024, 10:03:55 AM »
The tongue seems like the biggest non explained thing.  It kind of bothers me that its left unanswered.  I didn't love the ending, but it wasn't bad. It was mostly good. The season 1 stuff turns out to be meaningless which kind of sucked.  Now I guess I see why the S1 people didn't like the tie in, because there wasn't one.  Show was great throughout and the ending did tie up most knots so I should say I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3543 on: February 20, 2024, 10:48:14 AM »
Can I watch the current season and then go back and watch the previous seasons?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3544 on: February 20, 2024, 10:52:19 AM »

Yeah, each season of True Detective is it's own story. I'd watch the first season first though, it was just one of the best seasons of TV you can think of.  But can't fault you for watching the newest, it's only 6 episodes. There are call backs to the first season, but you don't need to have watched it.  I think those are just like "nuggets" for the viewer, not necessary to understand the story.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3545 on: February 20, 2024, 12:16:53 PM »

Yeah, each season of True Detective is it's own story. I'd watch the first season first though, it was just one of the best seasons of TV you can think of.  But can't fault you for watching the newest, it's only 6 episodes. There are call backs to the first season, but you don't need to have watched it.  I think those are just like "nuggets" for the viewer, not necessary to understand the story.

Yeah, completely not important to this seasons story....just there to be there.

Marc is right though about S1. It's one of the best seasons of TV out there.

S2 was good but it suffered majorly from being compared to S1 and the expectation that it should be as good or better. Were it to have just been released with no S1 to compare to it'd have been received better  because it is good. S3 IMO was REALLY good....well acted and written.....all in all every season is worth the watch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: February 24, 2024, 08:43:21 AM »
'Constellation' on Apple TV. Very trippy....after three episodes you can start to see what's going on (I think) but it's still pretty creepy/trippy.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3547 on: February 24, 2024, 10:43:03 AM »
Finished Bodies on Netflix, a murder mystery that spans 4 timelines. Quite good!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3548 on: February 26, 2024, 06:07:36 PM »
'Constellation' on Apple TV. Very trippy....after three episodes you can start to see what's going on (I think) but it's still pretty creepy/trippy.
I've only seen one episode but yea it's really trippy and weird but I like it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3549 on: February 27, 2024, 08:40:18 PM »
Just busted out the first 2 episodes of Shōgun on Hulu, really outstanding production on all fronts, this could be a true gem.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3550 on: February 27, 2024, 10:03:24 PM »
Only had time for one episode of Shogun so far but loved it. Looking forward to getting stuck into episode 2.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3551 on: February 28, 2024, 06:26:25 AM »
Been looking forward to Shogun, but it will probably be next week some time before I can get to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3552 on: February 28, 2024, 08:15:46 AM »
Just busted out the first 2 episodes of Shōgun on Hulu, really outstanding production on all fronts, this could be a true gem.

I'm excited for that.  One of the best books I ever read (I don't know how much the book plays into the show, if at all).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3553 on: February 28, 2024, 08:23:21 AM »

I'm excited for that.  One of the best books I ever read (I don't know how much the book plays into the show, if at all).
One of the books I have wanted to read that have escaped me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: February 28, 2024, 08:39:04 AM »

I feel like Apple TV hits on those odd shows.  I may have to check it out when we eventually get Apple TV back. 

Been looking forward to Shogun, but it will probably be next week some time before I can get to it.

My gf mentioned this show, maybe we will watch it too.

As mentioned in another thread, we've been watching 90 Day Fiance previous season, it's fucking insane  :lol

Also, been watching the game show, The Floor.  It's been entertaining, but as we are almost done with it, it's becoming a bit boring in terms of gameplay. I'm losing interest in trying to play along with the game basically.  The concept is cool though. It may just be a bit too drawn out and slow, but I get it, they are trying to build up personalities, but as soon as you get to know someone they get eliminated sooo kind of who cares about the fluff.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3555 on: February 28, 2024, 09:18:10 AM »
How much of Shogun is subtitled?  My wife refuses to watch things with a lot of subtitles.....

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #3556 on: February 28, 2024, 09:21:37 AM »
I’ve only seen the first episode, but I’d say maybe 90%. There’s only like 2 English speaking characters so far

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3557 on: February 28, 2024, 10:15:54 AM »
How much of Shogun is subtitled?  My wife refuses to watch things with a lot of subtitles.....

So far, like 90%...all of the Japanese is subtitled.

Supposedly it's based on the book, so I'm curious to hear how faithful it is. I personally never read it. Again, I can't stress how outstanding the production is across the board.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3558 on: February 28, 2024, 11:53:11 AM »

As mentioned in another thread, we've been watching 90 Day Fiance previous season, it's fucking insane  :lol

My wife watches that show.  I think some of these people really think they are celebrities now.  That we're NOT laughing AT them.

Also, been watching the game show, The Floor.  It's been entertaining, but as we are almost done with it, it's becoming a bit boring in terms of gameplay. I'm losing interest in trying to play along with the game basically.  The concept is cool though. It may just be a bit too drawn out and slow, but I get it, they are trying to build up personalities, but as soon as you get to know someone they get eliminated sooo kind of who cares about the fluff.

So we watched the finale last night.  No spoilers, but let me say that every hour episode could be about 12 minutes.  But for the actual game - the guessing - the rest I can do without.  The snarky comments from the "floor", the grand "I didn't come here to lose ... " pronouncements that inevitably are eight minutes before they go home for good, the "pretending" that this is some deep strategic decision that needs to be made...  I don't know.  Some people love it, I guess, but the hyperbolic nature of reality TV is really lost on me.  And I guess I don't like people very much because none of the "personalities" they put up there do anything for me.  I just don't LIKE any of these people. 

It really, for me, boils down to the simplest of facts:  do your job.   It doesn't matter who you go against, what the topic is, how many squares you have, just answer the questions. If you can't do that you're going home.  There were easily four or five contestants that got on a roll, but for whatever reason came across a picture - not the general subject, but one of the pictures IN the subject - and stumbled, and that was all she wrote.   All the back story about how your roommate is a plant afficionado or how you traveled the world while in college and so know "international foods" don't mean shit if you can't answer the questions.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3559 on: February 28, 2024, 12:28:54 PM »
Totally agree on both points.  I'm 100% laughing AT the people in 90 Day FIance.  And like the Love is Blind show, a lot of these people go into it for the "fame" which kind of ruins the show, but WOW do they really have no shame for fame.  I do feel bad for a lot of these people, but I get a lot of legit lols watching it that it's become very entertaining for me.

The finals would have worked better as like a 2 hour episode or something. Cut the fluff, no one cares.  And yeah, most of those people come off as unlikeable, but there were a couple I started rooting for, like the older technology guy.  I was rooting for him hard, but I guess it's part of the game, that if you are good at it, you won't last long because people go after you and eventually you'll stumble on that one picture like you said. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3560 on: February 28, 2024, 12:36:40 PM »
Totally agree on both points.  I'm 100% laughing AT the people in 90 Day FIance.  And like the Love is Blind show, a lot of these people go into it for the "fame" which kind of ruins the show, but WOW do they really have no shame for fame.  I do feel bad for a lot of these people, but I get a lot of legit lols watching it that it's become very entertaining for me.

The finals would have worked better as like a 2 hour episode or something. Cut the fluff, no one cares.  And yeah, most of those people come off as unlikeable, but there were a couple I started rooting for, like the older technology guy.  I was rooting for him hard, but I guess it's part of the game, that if you are good at it, you won't last long because people go after you and eventually you'll stumble on that one picture like you said.

Did you hear Stern talking about that woman Amouranthe from 90DF?   Man, talk about taking advantage of your 15 minutes...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3561 on: February 28, 2024, 12:42:46 PM »

Did you hear Stern talking about that woman Amouranthe from 90DF?   Man, talk about taking advantage of your 15 minutes...

I dont think so.  I never watched the show back when I would listen to Stern so I don't recall what he'd usually joke about.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3562 on: February 28, 2024, 02:45:48 PM »
So, during last year, we finished off 'The Sopranos' while starting (and finishing) 'Six Feet Under'.  Read some comments in this thread, so finally watched 'Boardwalk Empire' (the wife really fell in love with Richard and the actor).  A shame with the time jump, but a pretty good show with a bit much gratuitous violence.

We've been interspersing 'Seinfeld', 'Arli$$', and 'The Larry Sanders Show' for comic relief throughout.

This year, we watched the first two seasons of 'Fargo', and rewatched the movie.  Aces to all.  Season 3 has so far been one big, often disgusting downer.

As to 'True Detective', count us in the reddit bunch that did not like Season 4 at all.  Too many plot holes to drive semis through, almost all the characters were unlikeable tropes, horrible needle drops, and Jody Foster's character seemed to say 'f*ck' every other sentence for no reason.  We ended up watching it as a comedy over the final four episodes, and couldn't wait to see how other viewers would rip into it after each show.

For those that did like it, Issa Lopez has been signed on to do Season Five. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3563 on: February 28, 2024, 02:49:44 PM »
As to 'True Detective', count us in the reddit bunch that did not like Season 4 at all.  Too many plot holes to drive semis through, almost all the characters were unlikeable tropes, horrible needle drops, and Jody Foster's character seemed to say 'f*ck' every other sentence for no reason.  We ended up watching it as a comedy over the final four episodes, and couldn't wait to see how other viewers would rip into it after each show.

I'm still struggling to get over the tongue thing, but I'm also having a hard time seeing how this show was THAT bad.  I really enjoyed it, but do think it had it's flaws.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: February 28, 2024, 10:22:39 PM »

Just watched Ep. 4. Man, this is getting good. Don’t want to say too much so it’s not spoiled but it’s such a cool premise. And they’re totally going the creepy route with it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3565 on: February 29, 2024, 10:02:09 AM »
So, during last year, we finished off 'The Sopranos' while starting (and finishing) 'Six Feet Under'.  Read some comments in this thread, so finally watched 'Boardwalk Empire' (the wife really fell in love with Richard and the actor).  A shame with the time jump, but a pretty good show with a bit much gratuitous violence.

I loved Richard - he was my favorite character on the show.  Especially that one episode where he just went and killed everyone in Gyp Rosetti's house to rescue a kid.  He was a badass.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3566 on: February 29, 2024, 05:13:01 PM »
Resident Alien is *FINALLY* back after a long break.

I just noticed that the first couple of seasons popped up on Netflix as well. So I thought that that was cool.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: March 01, 2024, 08:52:51 AM »

I loved Richard - he was my favorite character on the show.  Especially that one episode where he just went and killed everyone in Gyp Rosetti's house to rescue a kid.  He was a badass.

Now Roestti was a character I LOVED.  Yeah, he's a bad guy, but damn that was a great bad guy.  You truly hated him.  I've been in love with Bobby Cannavale since then.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3568 on: March 05, 2024, 04:51:19 PM »

I'm still struggling to get over the tongue thing, but I'm also having a hard time seeing how this show was THAT bad.  I really enjoyed it, but do think it had it's flaws.

I know others did as well.  We didn't. 

Without giving away any spoilers, for those that want to read the bashing, here's a reddit link

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/1aud4rg/true_detective_4x06_part_6_postepisode_discussion/

Just finished Season 3 of 'Fargo'.  It had its moments, but what a huge drop from the first two seasons.  Varga was a bore, and a disgusting one at that.  Lacked the earlier charm and intrigue. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: March 06, 2024, 09:06:11 AM »

Fell asleep watching the final episode of The Finals.  Didn't care to rewind and see what happened  :rollin