Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 220052 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3185 on: October 12, 2023, 09:07:37 AM »
I guess, to me, a friendship project doesn’t necessarily have to be a vanity project. I guess sometimes there’s just a joy when talented people are doing something that they are so obviously having a lot of fun doing.

But the big draw to me is more about the show business “in-humor”. Mel Brooks does it quite a bit. And Tom Stoppard (Oscar winning writer of Shakespeare in Love and the equally brilliant Rosencranz and Gildenstern are Dead) does a more more dry version of show business humor.  But maybe that’s why SIL was so adored by everyone in the business (and those not in the business who enjoy that style of humor) and everyone else didn’t get it or outright hated it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3186 on: October 12, 2023, 09:31:39 AM »
I thought it was the final season as well…but it ended with a major cliffhanger. So I checked online, and it has been renewed for a 4th season with everyone returning.

Oh wow, I thought that was supposed to be the last season and last project from Steve Martin.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3187 on: October 12, 2023, 09:41:06 AM »
I thought it was the final season as well…but it ended with a major cliffhanger. So I checked online, and it has been renewed for a 4th season with everyone returning.

Oh wow, I thought that was supposed to be the last season and last project from Steve Martin.

It is most likely still going to be his last project. It just sounds like he got talked into one more year.

I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that they’re all having so much fun doing it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3188 on: October 12, 2023, 09:55:46 AM »
I guess, to me, a friendship project doesn’t necessarily have to be a vanity project. I guess sometimes there’s just a joy when talented people are doing something that they are so obviously having a lot of fun doing.

But the big draw to me is more about the show business “in-humor”. Mel Brooks does it quite a bit. And Tom Stoppard (Oscar winning writer of Shakespeare in Love and the equally brilliant Rosencranz and Gildenstern are Dead) does a more more dry version of show business humor.  But maybe that’s why SIL was so adored by everyone in the business (and those not in the business who enjoy that style of humor) and everyone else didn’t get it or outright hated it.

I do see the difference, and that difference is why I will, ultimately, probably watch that show.

But for me, my complaint stands; I'm not the biggest fan of "show business in-humor".  I already think Hollywood is chock full of out of touch assholes, and that cements that to a large degree.  The closest I come is "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and only because while most people seem to think that Larry David means it in a loving way, I have enough of a belief in him as a closet dick that he may actually not be joking when he makes people look like idiots.  Most of the people in Curb Your Enthusiasm I wouldn't want to spend five minutes with (Susie Greene/Susie Essman and JB Smoove the obvious exceptions).   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3189 on: October 12, 2023, 10:06:05 AM »
JB Smoove is legit one of my favorite Hollywood personalities.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: October 12, 2023, 10:56:09 AM »
Larry always makes himself look like the idiot though

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3191 on: October 12, 2023, 01:19:58 PM »

Love him! When he was still doing stand up I went to see him in NYC at a small club. before he went on he was hanging out in the lobby so I went up to him and he was so friendly and actually took time to talk with me. To make it even better he told me to seek him out after the show and asked me to sit with him in his merch booth and we were actually talking about mine and his favorite Curb episodes. I was referring to him as Doobersteen all night which he played along with even talking about Grotes disease from the Table Read episode. :lol  Epic night, great guy!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3192 on: October 12, 2023, 01:25:31 PM »

Love him! When he was still doing stand up I went to see him in NYC at a small club. before he went on he was hanging out in the lobby so I went up to him and he was so friendly and actually took time to talk with me. To make it even better he told me to seek him out after the show and asked me to sit with him in his merch booth and we were actually talking about mine and his favorite Curb episodes. I was referring to him as Doobersteen all night which he played along with even talking about Grotes disease from the Table Read episode. :lol  Epic night, great guy!

That's awesome.  It's hard for me to have much of an opinion on him.  He's great on curb, but I havent seen him in anything else other than annoying commercials.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3193 on: October 12, 2023, 01:31:20 PM »

That's awesome.  It's hard for me to have much of an opinion on him.  He's great on curb, but I havent seen him in anything else other than annoying commercials.

He's had some small roles like Date Night as the cab driver and the real estate agent in We Bought A Zoo but he was a main character in Almost Christmas which is hilarious!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3194 on: October 12, 2023, 11:24:53 PM »
2 Episodes into The Fall of the House of Usher - so far so good.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3195 on: October 14, 2023, 03:45:54 PM »

Here's the shirt he signed for me. It has a few stains from a few moves unfortunately.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3196 on: October 15, 2023, 09:28:25 AM »
That's awesome!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3197 on: October 16, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
Finished up season 2 of Wheel of Time on Prime.

I liked it OK, but I bet the book lovers hated it lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3198 on: October 16, 2023, 12:36:43 PM »
Invasion S2 on Apple TV. Really enjoying it, it's a pretty cool show that handles multiple characters and storylines pretty well.

I may take the plunge on 'For All Mankind' as well on Apple. I've heard good things, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3199 on: October 17, 2023, 10:46:55 AM »
Over the weekend, I started re-watching Backstairs at the White House.  It was a 1979 miniseries about a black woman who was the first "colored" presidential maid at the White House.  Her daughter eventually got a similar job, and, between the two of them, they worked at the White House from 1909 until 1960.  The daughter wrote a memoir on which the miniseries was based.  I watched this show with my mother when I was 11 and remember it fondly.  It's not on any streaming service, but it's up on YouTube.

Most of the cast appears to have been taken from the cast of Roots, but it also featured Cloris Leachman and (in possibly the only non-comedic role I've ever seen him) Leslie Nielsen (I keep waiting for his character to make some sort of wise-crack!).

I have no idea how historically accurate it is, but I'm enjoying it (although it may just be a case of watching through rose-colored nostalgia glasses).  I've made it through Taft and Wilson and am about get get to Harding's death.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3200 on: October 18, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
That's awesome!!

+1

Invasion S2 on Apple TV. Really enjoying it, it's a pretty cool show that handles multiple characters and storylines pretty well.

I may take the plunge on 'For All Mankind' as well on Apple. I've heard good things, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

My gf cancelled our Apple TV, we'll get it again when new shows come out we want to watch.  While we didn't watch Invasion, it was on our "maybes" list.  Maybe when we eventually start it up again we'll come back for that one.

Finished up season 2 of Wheel of Time on Prime.

I liked it OK, but I bet the book lovers hated it lol

We watched the first two episodes and I'm having a hard time following since I had completely forgotten season 1.  Even with watching a youtube recap video, I just can't seem to care to even try at this point.  I told my gf I don't want to finish watching.  She didn't push back  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3201 on: October 19, 2023, 01:42:06 AM »
Finished The Continental, prequel for the John Wick series (or better, the hotel of the series, hence the name).

It was fun, it was a way to have more ludicrous but absolutely entertaining fights. As with all prequels, knowing who would survive took away a bit of the tension, but I'm glad they've kept it short, three long episodes rather than dragging it out with a lot of filler. A clear story with a beginning, a middle and an end, and lot of blood and guns and fights.

You can live without it, but if you're into the John Wick series, it's a nice addition!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3202 on: October 19, 2023, 07:32:49 AM »
Finished The Righteous Gemstones

Good show. I still think Danny McBride is a bad actor, but the show itself is good
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3203 on: October 19, 2023, 09:07:52 AM »

Started this last night. Was hooked pretty much immediately. Cool premise…..I dig a lot of the actors as well. Looks like I’ll be busy for a couple weeks blasting through these three seasons. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: October 19, 2023, 09:11:58 AM »

Good show. I still think Danny McBride is a bad actor, but the show itself is good

Danny is basically a one role actor from everything I've seen and he does that role fine, but its not great acting by any means.  Just a douchebag  :lol  I enjoyed the show quite a bit though.  He also created, wrote and produced the show.  He's definitely talented just maybe not so much at acting.  Eastbound and Down still remains my favorite of his though.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3205 on: October 19, 2023, 10:49:48 AM »

Danny is basically a one role actor from everything I've seen and he does that role fine, but its not great acting by any means.  Just a douchebag  :lol  I enjoyed the show quite a bit though.  He also created, wrote and produced the show.  He's definitely talented just maybe not so much at acting.  Eastbound and Down still remains my favorite of his though.
It's funny because I think his best role was when he played himself in This Is The End  :lol in fact, I loved everyone in that movie
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3206 on: October 19, 2023, 10:54:50 AM »

It's funny because I think his best role was when he played himself in This Is The End  :lol in fact, I loved everyone in that movie

I thought he did a pretty good job in Alien:Covenant of playing a 'normal' role. It wasn't the most deep character ever written but he executed it really well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3207 on: October 19, 2023, 10:55:43 AM »

True, he was hilarious in that, but he wasn't the main character

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3208 on: October 19, 2023, 12:24:59 PM »
mrs.jingle and I are just about to watch the S2 finale of The Wilds (Amazon Prime).  Apparently it ends on a cliffhanger, and has been cancelled.  Fucking fuck fuck.  This is why I hate starting new shows out of the gate.  It was a pretty unrealistic premise (Lord of the Flies type shit), but was still well acted and pretty compelling plot points (dark at times as well).

It's a double edged sword for both the studio and the viewer - the former is quick to cancel shows if there isn't the expected viewership, but the latter is hesitant to start new shows knowing they'll likely be cancelled if they aren't a 'quick sensation'.  I told myself I was only going to start shows that had 2 seasons already completed, and confirmed to go on, or limited series (which, Treason was a great example of the latter).

/end rant
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3209 on: October 19, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »
mrs.jingle and I are just about to watch the S2 finale of The Wilds (Amazon Prime).  Apparently it ends on a cliffhanger, and has been cancelled.  Fucking fuck fuck.  This is why I hate starting new shows out of the gate.  It was a pretty unrealistic premise (Lord of the Flies type shit), but was still well acted and pretty compelling plot points (dark at times as well).

It's a double edged sword for both the studio and the viewer - the former is quick to cancel shows if there isn't the expected viewership, but the latter is hesitant to start new shows knowing they'll likely be cancelled if they aren't a 'quick sensation'.  I told myself I was only going to start shows that had 2 seasons already completed, and confirmed to go on, or limited series (which, Treason was a great example of the latter).

/end rant

It's actually a running joke in my family; no one let's me watch any show until it's officially complete.  My daughter begged me for a while to watch Ted Lasso; I finally relent and... "Next season is the last".   Manifest.  Mayans MC. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3210 on: October 19, 2023, 05:07:37 PM »
I caught part of The Insurrectionist Next Door on HBO and had to stop watching it because it made me too sad and embarrassed for this country.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3211 on: October 19, 2023, 08:14:53 PM »

/end rant

It's actually a running joke in my family; no one let's me watch any show until it's officially complete.  My daughter begged me for a while to watch Ted Lasso; I finally relent and... "Next season is the last".   Manifest.  Mayans MC.

Yeah, but at least Ted Lasso was a planned ending.  Don't know about the other two.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online nick_z

« Reply #3212 on: October 21, 2023, 09:07:06 AM »

5 episodes in and it's quite the ride! It's kinda nuts but my wife and I are enjoying it a ton. Hoping to finish it this weekend.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3213 on: October 21, 2023, 03:32:37 PM »

5 episodes in and it's quite the ride! It's kinda nuts but my wife and I are enjoying it a ton. Hoping to finish it this weekend.

Starting that tonight!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3214 on: October 22, 2023, 04:43:58 PM »

Starting that tonight!

Currently on the 4th episode. Yes it is nuts but really compelling and very well made.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3215 on: October 22, 2023, 05:41:12 PM »

Started this last night. Was hooked pretty much immediately. Cool premise…..I dig a lot of the actors as well. Looks like I’ll be busy for a couple weeks blasting through these three seasons.

Completed S1.....one Ep. in on S2. Cool show....liking it a lot

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3216 on: October 23, 2023, 06:46:35 AM »

Starting that tonight!

Watched the first two episodes last night with friends, we liked it a lot. There's a little bit of Nicolas Winding Refn in there I think, influence wise.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3217 on: October 23, 2023, 07:42:54 AM »
Anybody else watching Billions? Very excited for the finale next week.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3218 on: October 23, 2023, 08:25:43 AM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 3 of Upload. Saw a story with Greg Daniels where he mentioned they were supposed to start writing Season 4 in May but the strike got in the way. Says they plan to start up next month. Guess Amazon already gave him the green light even though no announcement yet.

I have become really gun shy on starting any new show these days. I blame Netflix and their cancel every single show after 1 season method. I just can't bring myself to dive in. I find myself going to old shows that are complete and have a proper ending. I go as far as to check if the show ended on a cliffhanger or got a proper ending. I feel anything else is a waste.

With that said, I am 7 seasons into Stargate SG-1 and I plan on moving on to the other 2 shows as well.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3219 on: October 23, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
I'm the same (for the most part).  Turns out The Wilds wasn't a sharp cliffhanger with an obvious and immediate "what the hell is going to happen"... but more of the kind of ending where there is still a whole lot more story to tell / wonder where they're going to go with this?

Still pisses me off though.