Author Topic: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !  (Read 38997 times)

Offline geeeemo

Re: The Alien Listening Party ! ALL SPOILERS !
« Reply #455 on: September 11, 2021, 01:16:21 PM »
I haven't been able to stop thinking about the lyrics. I think the whole song is one big metaphor about us as people.
We see others as "alien" because they are different. In any way. Our judgements - ..not just the biggie popular ones of say sexuality, but politics, music  - anything that causes us to see others as not right..but Alien. But this judging has turned us into the "alien" . Our holy grail of (arguing, anger, cancel) needs redefining. He's inviting us to climb aboard - to search until we find a new way to treat one another, a different scale of consciousness. 

I couldn't stop thinking in this vein, because of a couple of conversations I have had with James and listening to him in interviews etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

One of the many things I love about DT. Not only can we take their music and have different ideas from it, but it isn't rude or profane either.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #456 on: September 11, 2021, 04:36:12 PM »
I haven't been able to stop thinking about the lyrics. I think the whole song is one big metaphor about us as people.
We see others as "alien" because they are different. In any way. Our judgements - ..not just the biggie popular ones of say sexuality, but politics, music  - anything that causes us to see others as not right..but Alien. But this judging has turned us into the "alien" . Our holy grail of (arguing, anger, cancel) needs redefining. He's inviting us to climb aboard - to search until we find a new way to treat one another, a different scale of consciousness. 

I couldn't stop thinking in this vein, because of a couple of conversations I have had with James and listening to him in interviews etc.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

One of the many things I love about DT. Not only can we take their music and have different ideas from it, but it isn't rude or profane either.

It's like the colonization of the Americas. That lifestyle and culture is/was Alien to the Native People and their lifestyle and culture.

Only this time, The astronaut is the colonizer of another world and comes to find that out there in that other world, he is The Alien. Just as if another being were to come into our world as an Alien.

I like your description because it gives a different perspective on the ending lyrics...I am the Alien, out here discovering, for our human race and beyond. Almost like how being here in the Earth, you are still an Alien as we do not know everything there is to know about the Earth, and a connection to the Earth that keeps us grounded as Earthlings and not an Alien to the world itself.  :)

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #457 on: September 12, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
I just re-watched MM's playthrough of the Alien @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFx19PMxGTc

Such a sick drum track and it really makes the song for me. The craziest part is how easy he makes it look. He possesses a level of limb coordination that is rare. I hope the rest of the album has drums like this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: September 12, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
How hilarious it would be if the remaining 60 minutes of the new album were all 4/4 Phil Rudd backbeats...  :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #459 on: September 12, 2021, 01:59:25 PM »
How hilarious it would be if the remaining 60 minutes of the new album were all 4/4 Phil Rudd backbeats...  :rollin

Apparently, he used to play Back In Black for his students the first time they had classes with him at Berklee :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #460 on: September 12, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »

Apparently, he used to play Back In Black for his students the first time they had classes with him at Berklee :rollin

Is that right? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: September 12, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
" And over the next 3 semesters i'm gonna teach you all 10,746 ways you can play the bass drum in the first measure of that song. "

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #462 on: September 13, 2021, 12:32:57 AM »
" And over the next 3 semesters i'm gonna teach you all 10,746 ways you can play the bass drum in the first measure of that song. "

:lol :lol :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #463 on: September 13, 2021, 01:44:20 AM »

Is that right? Wow!

I think this traces back to his experience playing the first time with Annihilator. Jeff Waters was a stickler of playing exactly on the beat and what happened was when Mangini was playing the fills and the complex stuff, he was hitting it but when he was doing the basic 4/4 AC/DC style, he was hitting a few milliseconds off and Jeff can hear it. Mangini was made to repeat it over and over again and he was hospitalized afterwards.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #464 on: September 13, 2021, 07:58:54 AM »

Is that right? Wow!

I think this traces back to his experience playing the first time with Annihilator. Jeff Waters was a stickler of playing exactly on the beat and what happened was when Mangini was playing the fills and the complex stuff, he was hitting it but when he was doing the basic 4/4 AC/DC style, he was hitting a few milliseconds off and Jeff can hear it. Mangini was made to repeat it over and over again and he was hospitalized afterwards.

I remember him talking about that experience in-depth on a recent podcast (Breaking Absolutes) and I was taken aback by how candid he was regarding his percieved flaws and the work he has put in over the years to make himself the best drummer he can be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #465 on: September 13, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
Really cool drum breakdown video from a fan here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3tiQqyICQ

This guy knows his stuff, and it's cool how, with various passages, he kind of breaks down different ways of annotating the time signatures and how they "feel" to a drummer (and the rest of the band).
Crowder is great.  His videos are fantastic, and I love the music he makes with Adam Neely as well (Sungazer).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
Side note: Jeff Waters is a fantastic guitar player. Kind of a shame that Annihilator never quite hit the potential that Alice In Hell showed.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »
Speaking of Alice... Alice Cooper is touring again. I can't imagine being 73 and still touring. I know they still want to and love it etc etc.

But i'm really healthy and 42 and I still ache after a long day. I can't imagine how he feels the next day after a gig or after a tour.

Same with the Stones or the AC/DC guys.

Mind you it's only 90 - 120 mins actually on stage and the rest of the day is probably spent getting as much rest / leisure time as they can...

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #468 on: September 14, 2021, 04:38:35 PM »
Speaking of Alice... Alice Cooper is touring again. I can't imagine being 73 and still touring. I know they still want to and love it etc etc.

But i'm really healthy and 42 and I still ache after a long day. I can't imagine how he feels the next day after a gig or after a tour.

Mind you it's only 90 - 120 mins actually on stage and the rest of the day is probably spent getting as much rest / leisure time as they can...

I can imagine being retired and boating on a lake.

But where some of these musicians are concerned, maybe Alice needs the money? He grew up in the era where musical acts got royally (literally speaking) fucked. It happened to a lot of these acts back in the day. And to top this, a lot of musicians squandered their money. Look at Guns and Roses. They squandered tons of money because of Axel's ridiculous antics during their tours causing them to extend tours. So maybe Alice has to work to live the lifestyle he wants because let's face it, the only way most people will care, is when he is not longer with us.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #469 on: September 14, 2021, 04:41:06 PM »

I can imagine being retired and boating on a lake.

But where some of these musicians are concerned, maybe Alice needs the money? He grew up in the era where musical acts got royally (literally speaking) fucked. It happened to a lot of these acts back in the day. And to top this, a lot of musicians squandered their money. Look at Guns and Roses. They squandered tons of money because of Axel's ridiculous antics during their tours causing them to extend tours. So maybe Alice has to work to live the lifestyle he wants because let's face it, the only way most people will care, is when he is not longer with us.

That's a great point to raise.  But I would guess that that doesn't fit Alice, given that he just seems to be so together and has been known for giving financial and other advice to other musicians.  But I could be wrong.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Trav86

« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »

I think touring at 73 is different for him (or rockstars in general) than us. They have personal trainers, nutritionists and probably a masseuse working for them. All the stuff to help you survive a lot easier.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2021, 08:00:00 PM »

I think touring at 73 is different for him (or rockstars in general) than us. They have personal trainers, nutritionists and probably a masseuse working for them. All the stuff to help you survive a lot easier.

I think there are way too many people that STILL don't appreciate him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2021, 08:41:32 PM »
Paul McCartney doesn't need the money and was on tour until COVID got in the way.
It's his life. That simple.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #473 on: September 15, 2021, 06:39:03 AM »
Joe Paterno (legendary Penn State football coach) famously said he would coach as long as he could, because he believed if he stopped it would be like dying for him.   He was forced out (scandal) on November 9, 2011 at age 84, and died not even three months later on January 22, 2012 at age 85. 

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2021, 01:33:28 PM »
Just realized how similar the first two minutes of this song are to ITPOE... If this means that the title track will be similar to ITPOE, then I'm as hyped as possible for the album
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2021, 02:09:08 PM »
I knew it sounded familiar but it's a touch more upbeat than In The Presence Part 1.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #476 on: September 21, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »
There were ITPOE bits on LTE3 as well.

Maybe it's time for that 1-5 year break.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #477 on: September 21, 2021, 10:23:30 PM »
5 year break for guys pushing into their 60s? JR would almost be 70 by then? Just stop listening if you don't like their music anymore.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:50:37 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2021, 10:39:25 PM »

For you or the band?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2021, 08:04:43 AM »
Lolz their music would have to be seriously verging on unlistenable for me to stop caring about the band.

A more run-of-the-mill Dream Theater album is still vastly preferable to The Offspring's new album or Foo Fighters Concrete and Gold where they're borderline unlistenable.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: September 22, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »

5 year break for guys pushing into their 60s? JR would almost be 70 by then? Just stop listening if you don't like their music anymore.

Seriously.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #481 on: September 23, 2021, 08:10:25 AM »

For you or the band?

I've taken multiple breaks from the band since I first got into them nearly 20 years ago, but I nearly gave up on them after DT12, and then The Astonishing came out and besides a few solid cuts, the bloat of it all really soured my mood on the band and the fall out of MP leaving, the band's reaction to him leaving, all that drama, has left a lingering bitter taste in my mouth. My expectations for their new material has been at an all time low. I enjoyed DoT when it first came out because of that, but after the honeymoon period I realized DoT was just a slightly better DT12 but without a side-long epic. I still keep up because they DO put out a cool song here and there, and I respect their musicianship. I stick around here because I like the discussion of other bands with members of this forum.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:15:57 AM by darkshade »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #482 on: September 23, 2021, 08:14:18 AM »

Seriously.

Well, doing it 11 years ago would have made more sense from that standpoint.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #483 on: September 23, 2021, 08:33:05 AM »

The two points are not directly related.  I can list the number of bands that either admitted they needed a break, or in hindsight wished they had taken a break and I'll be here through dinner time. For me, there is almost no correlation between "if the band needed a break" and "whether I like their music anymore".

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #484 on: September 23, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »
I am not seeing any indication anyone in the band is unhappy, letting his musicianship or technique slip, or slacking in any way. Not sure why they should take a break because of one single which is getting a lukewarm reception.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #485 on: September 23, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
I am not seeing any indication anyone in the band is unhappy, letting his musicianship or technique slip, or slacking in any way. Not sure why they should take a break because of one single which is getting a lukewarm reception.

Because fans always know what's better for the band's health.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #486 on: September 23, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »

For you or the band?

I've taken multiple breaks from the band since I first got into them nearly 20 years ago, but I nearly gave up on them after DT12, and then The Astonishing came out and besides a few solid cuts, the bloat of it all really soured my mood on the band and the fall out of MP leaving, the band's reaction to him leaving, all that drama, has left a lingering bitter taste in my mouth. My expectations for their new material has been at an all time low. I enjoyed DoT when it first came out because of that, but after the honeymoon period I realized DoT was just a slightly better DT12 but without a side-long epic. I still keep up because they DO put out a cool song here and there, and I respect their musicianship. I stick around here because I like the discussion of other bands with members of this forum.

Look mate, to each his own, I just don’t really find I need to take breaks from bands I enjoy. I will absolutely have periods where I listen to other stuff a bunch, or bits and pieces as I go, but I never felt the need to actively take a break from listening to the band (or any band for that matter).

I can comfortably say that the period from TOT - BCASL is my least favourite of the band, however, there are still some songs I love on those albums, so I just listen to those. Occasionally there will be a track from that period I haven’t heard for a while and if it randomly comes up I’ll be like “that actually sounds better than I remember. But overall, there is stuff on every album I enjoy.

The only thing that does seem evident from your post, is that it seems like you are almost going into their new stuff almost not wanting to like it, or going in with a negative vibe. In my experience, that will almost always result in not enjoying something as much, because even if there is stuff that you like the sound of, the things that you don’t like as much will be highlighted, to almost “prove it to yourself” if you will. It absolutely could be that you flat out just don’t like it and that’s also fair however. But from what you’ve said in terms of the Astonishing and the Mike Portnoy thing, it appears deeper than that. In any case, all due respect, I hope you find something to enjoy with the new album  :tup

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #487 on: September 23, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »

The two points are not directly related.  I can list the number of bands that either admitted they needed a break, or in hindsight wished they had taken a break and I'll be here through dinner time. For me, there is almost no correlation between "if the band needed a break" and "whether I like their music anymore".

Oh there is for a lot of people here,  because it almost always felt like "I don't like their music now, so I think they should take a break so they can make music I like again."

In the end, it is really just about not liking their music and projecting it as something the band "needs."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #488 on: September 23, 2021, 10:31:51 PM »

I don't like your recent posts. Maybe it's time for 5 year break.

:lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #489 on: September 24, 2021, 06:27:04 AM »

For you or the band?

Look mate, to each his own, I just don’t really find I need to take breaks from bands I enjoy. I will absolutely have periods where I listen to other stuff a bunch, or bits and pieces as I go, but I never felt the need to actively take a break from listening to the band (or any band for that matter).

I can comfortably say that the period from TOT - BCASL is my least favourite of the band, however, there are still some songs I love on those albums, so I just listen to those. Occasionally there will be a track from that period I haven’t heard for a while and if it randomly comes up I’ll be like “that actually sounds better than I remember. But overall, there is stuff on every album I enjoy.

The only thing that does seem evident from your post, is that it seems like you are almost going into their new stuff almost not wanting to like it, or going in with a negative vibe. In my experience, that will almost always result in not enjoying something as much, because even if there is stuff that you like the sound of, the things that you don’t like as much will be highlighted, to almost “prove it to yourself” if you will. It absolutely could be that you flat out just don’t like it and that’s also fair however. But from what you’ve said in terms of the Astonishing and the Mike Portnoy thing, it appears deeper than that. In any case, all due respect, I hope you find something to enjoy with the new album  :tup

Not only have I taken a break from DT in the past, I've taken breaks from all prog rock related music for years at a time. There's too much music out there to stick to listening to only prog rock/metal, or rock/metal in general, for me at least. I totally enjoy ADTOE, and went into DT12 with a positive attitude before it came out. I just get a cold, clinical feeling from the newer material, and also sense a lack of compositional chops from the band, who come up with tons of interesting ideas, but don't seem totally sure how to put it all together since MP left, unless it involves arrangements that were already done in the past with greater results, with rare exceptions.