Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 310658 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #1505 on: August 30, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
Nah, he probably busts out the Jiffy Lube attire for fancy restaurants.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1506 on: August 30, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
Good grief, people. Are we falling into the trap, yet again, of taking Derek far too seriously? :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1507 on: August 30, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »
Good grief, people. Are we falling into the trap, yet again, of taking Derek far too seriously? :lol

Derek has been taking jabs at DT since they announced the band. The question is why though. What do they have to do with anything?

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1508 on: August 30, 2017, 11:45:40 PM »
So, let me get this straight, 'cos it's early and stuff. We think that his utterance re "no fictitious characters" is a genuine slight against Dream Theater? And I thought I had thin skin :biggrin:

Derek has a larger than life personality, we all know that. He's a cheeky scamp. It's clearly evident when you watch his interviews. Hell, it's even clear from that Making History clip years ago.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1509 on: August 30, 2017, 11:52:59 PM »
I just want to repeat this comment regarding his tweet about concept albums and fictitious characters.

Because this is a prog-metal project with two former members of DT, maybe he stated that to not get people's hopes up that there will be a concept album with characters and stuff like that.  I don't think this one is a jab against DT in general (other comments may be, but I don't think this one is).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1510 on: August 31, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
Clearly a jab at Rhapsody. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1511 on: August 31, 2017, 03:14:39 AM »
So, let me get this straight, 'cos it's early and stuff. We think that his utterance re "no fictitious characters" is a genuine slight against Dream Theater? And I thought I had thin skin :biggrin:

Derek has a larger than life personality, we all know that. He's a cheeky scamp. It's clearly evident when you watch his interviews. Hell, it's even clear from that Making History clip years ago.

It pretty clearly is a dig at The Astonishing. He's going for the DT audience that are disappointed with DT's last album. "Come to us - we have the real heart of DT". Probably done with a great deal of tongue in cheek - that is Derek's way. Now if MP said it...

I think he's advertising rather than trying to stir up a shit storm. If SoA do well, expect a reaction in music from DT.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1512 on: August 31, 2017, 03:16:16 AM »
Alright, as if ONE interview of ONE band member was not enough, Your Majesty (official French fan club bla bla bla) has had the opportunity to interview face to face (and not an email interview) Derek AND Mike! So I'm pretty excited to have a chat with two of my heroes!
So once again, if you have some questions, write them to me and I'll ask them ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1513 on: August 31, 2017, 03:48:46 AM »
Alright, as if ONE interview of ONE band member was not enough, Your Majesty (official French fan club bla bla bla) has had the opportunity to interview face to face (and not an email interview) Derek AND Mike! So I'm pretty excited to have a chat with two of my heroes!
So once again, if you have some questions, write them to me and I'll ask them ;)

Ask them if Tony Macalpine was considered to join the band, since he played with them on PSMS, which stemmed Sons of Apollo. I would ask Derek how he intends to juggle SOA with Black Country Communion and his solo career.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1514 on: August 31, 2017, 03:54:12 AM »
Ask Mike, since he's someone always thinking and planning ahead, if he has already a clear idea of the setlists for the future shows, or if he has yet to discuss it with his bandmates, and if actually he's gonna be the setlist master as he was in DT. Subtle hints are welcomed  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

« Reply #1515 on: August 31, 2017, 03:55:48 AM »
Ask Mike, since he's someone always thinking and planning ahead, if he has already a clear idea of the setlists for the future shows, or if he has yet to discuss it with his bandmates, and if actually he's gonna be the setlist master as he was in DT. Subtle hints are welcomed  :D
If you read my interview, you know that I asked Derek the question and with his elusive answer, I won't miss the chance to ask Mike ("the setlist master" as he called him) directly ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:04:59 AM by the keyboard wizard »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1516 on: August 31, 2017, 04:10:04 AM »
Ah ok, I did read it and I remember Derek saying "Maybe Lines in the Sand, no Anna Lee", I missed the part where it was confirmed that Mike would be once again in charge  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1517 on: August 31, 2017, 06:18:56 AM »
If you read my interview, you know that I asked Derek the question and with his elusive answer, I won't miss the chance to ask Mike ("the setlist master" as he called him) directly ;)

I'd love if they resurfaced the tracks of the FII sessions that didn't make it to the album.

« Reply #1518 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:55 AM »
They should play Burning my Soul 96', it's been 15 years since it was last played!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1519 on: August 31, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »
Ask Mike the status of Flying Colors 3, Transatlantic, Neal Morse Band.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1520 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »
I think the song on the background of the second introduction video is the long instrumental.

« Reply #1521 on: August 31, 2017, 07:06:30 AM »
Mike on Twitter : "One has nothing to do with the other...haven't I proved I'm more than capable of juggling them ALL??
SOA, TWD, NMB, FC, TA, MA, TSF, TS, etc"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1522 on: August 31, 2017, 07:22:37 AM »
Once slightly disconcerting aspect of that video was the whole thing about Ron Thal's struggle with the (seemingly) breakneck speed at which DS and MP were operating. That seems to have become an overarching thing with MP ever since ToT, and IMHO some albums, DT and non-DT, have suffered from that lack of gestation. Case in point, I think both solos in Signs of the Times are improvised; not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, but I felt Ron's solo ran out of steam halfway in.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1523 on: August 31, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
Ask what's DT got to do with it, got to do with it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1524 on: August 31, 2017, 08:01:20 AM »
Regarding JSS and a stable gig -- he has one. Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Although I understand in the context of this conversation, most wouldn't view that as full-time. On top of that, Talisman was pretty popular in Europe. As bosk1 said, he got a raw deal with Journey, and Yngwie's reputation speaks for itself.

Chris Caffrey once said that TSO paid the members enough to be comparable to an annual salary, based on their earnings from the Christmas tour alone.  I'm not sure if that has changed since the production has increased so much over the past 10 years, but I still believe it to be accurate.  So you're not wrong in saying that he has a stable gig with TSO, even if it's only a few month's work each year.  That allows him (and everyone else in TSO) the time to do some other projects and still pay his bills as well.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1525 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »
Once slightly disconcerting aspect of that video was the whole thing about Ron Thal's struggle with the (seemingly) breakneck speed at which DS and MP were operating. That seems to have become an overarching thing with MP ever since ToT, and IMHO some albums, DT and non-DT, have suffered from that lack of gestation. Case in point, I think both solos in Signs of the Times are improvised; not that there's anything inherently wrong with it, but I felt Ron's solo ran out of steam halfway in.

That's actually a good point rumby. I thought the same thing about the guitar solo in the single, maybe that is the result of not giving things enough time.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1526 on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »
Mike on Twitter : "One has nothing to do with the other...haven't I proved I'm more than capable of juggling them ALL??
SOA, TWD, NMB, FC, TA, MA, TSF, TS, etc"

I'm more wondering when we can expect new releases from those 3 bands.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: August 31, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »
Once slightly disconcerting aspect of that video was the whole thing about Ron Thal's struggle with the (seemingly) breakneck speed at which DS and MP were operating. That seems to have become an overarching thing with MP ever since ToT, and IMHO some albums, DT and non-DT, have suffered from that lack of gestation.

I was thinking the same thing.  But Ron said he seemed to have settled in after an hour or so of playing with them, so I guess we'll see.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1528 on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »

Derek has been taking jabs at DT since they announced the band. The question is why though. What do they have to do with anything?

Derek is a very smart guy and a smart ass; I wouldn't put it past him to be doing it to wind up those that are sensitive to that sort of thing. 

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1529 on: August 31, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »

Derek is a very smart guy and a smart ass; I wouldn't put it past him to be doing it to wind up those that are sensitive to that sort of thing. 

Yeah, I keep hearing that, so why should I take him seriously at all?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1530 on: August 31, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
Derek Sherinian on twitter:

@SonsOfApollo1 promises you that there will be no concept records based on fictitious characters-
The era of the Sons is coming Oct 20

I mean, is this really neccesary to promote his band?  :facepalm:

I have been in the probably "too sensitive" camp but this seems like no big deal. If anything it is a knock against

The Astonishing
Similitude of a Dream
Operation Mindcrime
The Wall
Tommy
The Lamb

Oh yes and Scenes from a Memory

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
Yea, I don't see that as a direct shot at DT since pretty much every concept album has fictitious characters.  I would include things like Apollo in that as well. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1532 on: August 31, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
Yea, I don't see that as a direct shot at DT since pretty much every concept album has fictitious characters. I would include things like Apollo in that as well.

That's the funny part about it.  :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
Once slightly disconcerting aspect of that video was the whole thing about Ron Thal's struggle with the (seemingly) breakneck speed at which DS and MP were operating. That seems to have become an overarching thing with MP ever since ToT, and IMHO some albums, DT and non-DT, have suffered from that lack of gestation.

I was thinking the same thing.  But Ron said he seemed to have settled in after an hour or so of playing with them, so I guess we'll see.

I agree that some albums show signs of beeing too hastily done.

That Thal has adopted to it says nothing about if the break neak speed has made the album suffer or not.

Sure... this is the way MP is able to juggle soo many bands but I can't help wishing some projects were given more attention.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1534 on: August 31, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Yea, I don't see that as a direct shot at DT since pretty much every concept album has fictitious characters. I would include things like Apollo in that as well.

That's the funny part about it.  :lol

I think MP or someone pointed it out because I don't see the tweet anymore. Actually I never saw it so maybe I am twitter illiterate.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1535 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »
I think Derek is just having fun now. :)

Derek Sherinian‏ @DerekSherinian  1h1 hour ago
More
 The DelFuvios Bros....
Bringing heart, balls and swag back to Prog Metal!.
@MikePortnoy @SonsOfApollo1 #reclaimthethrone #nocyborgcheese

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1536 on: August 31, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »

Yeah, I keep hearing that, so why should I take him seriously at all?

I think that's the point.  You SHOULDN'T.  (Or at least, you do so at your own peril.)

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1537 on: August 31, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »
There wasn't any cyborg cheese on The Astonishing so I guess DT is in the clear. I wonder which band he's taking shots at then.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1538 on: August 31, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »
I think Derek is just having fun now. :)

Derek Sherinian‏ @DerekSherinian  1h1 hour ago
More
 The DelFuvios Bros....
Bringing heart, balls and swag back to Prog Metal!.
@MikePortnoy @SonsOfApollo1 #reclaimthethrone #nocyborgcheese
:rollin :rollin
I guess it's what he is really up to ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1539 on: August 31, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
Derek Sherinian on twitter:

@SonsOfApollo1 promises you that there will be no concept records based on fictitious characters-
The era of the Sons is coming Oct 20

I mean, is this really neccesary to promote his band?  :facepalm:

On that I think he's talking a bit serious. If I'm not mistaken, DS is really a guy who is interested in history. I remember Bruce Dickinson saying that he liked much more to write songs about historical characters than fictional ones. Maybe it's just a DS preference and, if one day SOA will do a conceptual album, maybe they'll write about a historical character.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)