Author Topic: Seize the Day  (Read 3633 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Seize the Day
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
Two questions, one regarding A Change of Seasons in Metropolis 2000.

1. When you play ACOS in the bonus features, there's a one sec footage of a video played right before JP kicks in. Is that the scene from Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams is teaching the kids the concept of Carpe Diem? And when the song goes to Part III, Carpe Diem, there's a hush sound saying "Seize the day". Is that also Robbin Williams? because in that scene he does that as well.

2. Do you think this song is going to be played live while MP is absent?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Seize the Day
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:04:39 PM »
You know, DT is somewhat known for its shoddy lyrics, and its excellent music. Just because the writer of the lyrics is no longer with the band doesn't mean they're gonna stop playing the excellent music.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:08:27 PM »
I wouldn't say that ACOS has shoddy lyrics. I was implying: they won't play because it is too personal to some absent member (like what happened with (to an extent) Space Dye-Vest; and Derek's Anna Lee).

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »
ACOS has greater change of being played than TBOT, I think... it's widely regarded as the band's epic, their "Supper's Ready", "Close To The Edge", "2112", "Tarkus"... I they may bring it back.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
Didn't LaBrie write Anna Lee?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »
Didn't LaBrie write Anna Lee?

Lyrically, yes, but I think he meant musically. I know SDV was *entirely* Kevin's, but in terms of being a piano ballad, they're similar. I would liken "Disappear" to both of them as well, for being Jordan's piano ballad.

I think it's only a matter of time before the band plays "Anna Lee" again. I'm sure Jordan wants to do it, and I think Mike was probably one of the band members who felt strongly against it, considering it as one of Derek's pieces.

Hopefully they change their mind about it. I'd love to hear Jordan play it and with James's current voice.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
I love the guitar solo in Anna Lee. Such an underrated ballad.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
OK, so... for question 1. Anybody?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »
OK, so... for question 1. Anybody?

The first part, yes. The second part, I dunno. If you're talking about the whisper "sieze the day", then I doubt it. But there is at least one sample from the movie, when they read the poem.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
Mike expressed interest in pulling out Anna Lee on the 5 Years commentary. He didn't seem to have anything against it.
Almost seemed like they weren't playing it out of respect to Derek, not out of any sort of animosity for the song.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
They still play songs that Kevin wrote the lyrics for.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:20:15 PM »
To clarify, JAMES wrote the lyrics. Derek wrote the MUSIC, or at least enough of it for the band to essentially designate it as "one of his songs".

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:40 AM »
They did play Anna Lee at the acoustic show in 1998.  It was awesome. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 04:20:44 AM »
Yes, when DS was still in the band.  MP was on record as viewing that as a DS song, which was why he avoided putting it in setlists once JR joined.  But since MP won't be designing the setlists now, and since the lyric-writer is still with them, and JR likes the song, hopefully it will reappear on future setlists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 06:48:56 AM »
Yes, when DS was still in the band.  MP was on record as viewing that as a DS song, which was why he avoided putting it in setlists once JR joined.  But since MP won't be designing the setlists now, and since the lyric-writer is still with them, and JR likes the song, hopefully it will reappear on future setlists.

This is my hope!  :tup

Ironically, the song I would compare to "Anna Lee" for Jordan ("Disappear") also had it's lyrics written by JLB.

-Marc.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:18 AM »
Hasn't Disappear been played only twice because MP wanted them to have a song that has been played only once but after they had played it, they decided to play it at the show which was filmed for Live at Budokan? At least I've read something like that. Anyway, if that's true, Disappear could return to the setlist too!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
Hasn't Disappear been played only twice because MP wanted them to have a song that has been played only once but after they had played it, they decided to play it at the show which was filmed for Live at Budokan? At least I've read something like that. Anyway, if that's true, Disappear could return to the setlist too!

This is what I have read as well. They did the song at a NYC show where they introduced a cellist to play "Vacant" and "Stream Of Consciousness" with them, and closed the second set with "Disappear" with him playing as well.
https://mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=776

I think he said he wanted to have that "mythical" song that was only played once or twice, something "rare" in their discography. I figure, if they don't do the Twelve Step Suite, that "Repentance" would be that song now because they've only played it once (which is half the number of times "Disappear" was played).

As it stands, I wouldn't mind seeing "Disappear" make it to a few shows in the future. Also fun to note, both performances of "Disappear" have been released - the widely available one on Live At Budokan and the NYC performance on the Fan Club disc A Sort Of Homecoming, which is a pretty good performance, and a great disc (love the instrumental jams on there!).

-Marc.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 07:12:39 AM »
This is what I have read as well. They did the song at a NYC show where they introduced a cellist to play "Vacant" and "Stream Of Consciousness" with them, and closed the second set with "Disappear" with him playing as well.
https://mikeportnoy.com/dates/tourography/?show=776
Stream of Consciousness with a cello? Wow, that would be awesome to see!

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »

Ahhhh, yes, gotcha. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 11:35:08 AM »

Ahhhh, yes, gotcha. 
I thought it was fantastic.  JP playing slide on the Talman.  Mmmmmm...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.