Author Topic: Your relationship with music/albums  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Your relationship with music/albums
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 07:45:06 PM »
1. What was your first album ever, and how did you get it?

Uh, do albums bought for me by my parents count? If so then it's probably Weird Al's Bad Hair Day or this album of songs about Pokemon.

If it's albums I bought myself, I think it would be System of a Down's self-titled?

2. What's the longest album you've listened to?

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence? Maybe? Not a metric I really keep track of.

3. What's your favourite album and why?

Difficult question. Maybe Devin Townsend's Terria? Or Epicloud? Obviously for very different reasons I don't think I can explain.

4. (If you play an instrument) What album/s do you like playing along to, from start to finish?

n/a

5. What album/s do you listen to when you're in love with someone?

:sadpanda:

6. Do you give albums as presents to other people (friends, love interests, younger cousins/nephews, etc)? If so, which one/s had an effect on the other person?

Uh I think I gave my brother Ziltoid the Omniscient? He liked it, but I already knew that before I bought it for him.

7. (Finally, and probably the hardest but funniest question to answer) Which album are you?

Lightbulb Sun?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
Sunday - Jewel
I don't even know how I got hold of it, but I inexplicably have the original album version (not the one I was long familiar with from radio) of Foolish Games. The single version wasn't bad, but the original is amazing. The vocal delivery is so much better, more pained and restrained and less Mariah Carey-ish. It had a weird grit to it that a pop song rarely has.

Agreed. It's almost a totally different song.  She's such an emotive singer.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 08:25:37 PM »
1) N*Sync - No Strings Attached. But the first one I bought with my own money was Straight Outta Lynwood - Weird Al Yankovic

2) Kamasi Washington - The Epic

3) Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech. Discovered it during a particular low point my life and it help me get through it. I’ll leave it at that.

4) Any Pink Floyd album, and most of Devin Townsend’s discography.

5) Not sure. Hasn’t happened yet.

6) I have in the past, but the usual response is just “Oh cool, thanks.” and nothing more.

7) Contain Us - Devin Townsend

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
uhh. i'm pretty sure it was like, the sonic adventure 2 soundtrack or something when i was 9 or 10  :lol

technically Bing Satellites - More which is like 5 hours of ambience.
consciously, dunno. The Astonishing might be the longest album I own, but Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade is like 2hr25m and i listened to that in one sitting the one time i did listen to it.

i guess i'll stick with pain of salvation - the perfect element for being the closest to a flawless album i've ever heard and being damn great front-to-back

4. (If you play an instrument) What album/s do you like playing along to, from start to finish?
i play guitar and drums but don't play to albums on the former. on drums tho i really like Thank You Scientist - Maps of Nonexistent Places and Thrice - Vhiessu, both simple enough for a loser like me but with a ton of fun beats and enough places i can improv on

i am aromantic. i have never experienced romantic love.

6. Do you give albums as presents to other people (friends, love interests, younger cousins/nephews, etc)? If so, which one/s had an effect on the other person?
i think if i gave my friends/relatives the kind of music i listen to they'd never speak to me again

7. (Finally, and probably the hardest but funniest question to answer) Which album are you?
east of the wall - the apologist because i constantly have to apologize for how awful my music taste is, but simultaneously i am very awesome

Offline 425

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »
east of the wall - the apologist because i constantly have to apologize for how awful my music taste is, but simultaneously i am very awesome

This may be the most Parama thing I have ever read.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »

Chicago at Carnegie Hall.  It was 1974.  I was 12 years ago and had a newspaper route, therefore I had disposable income for the first time in my life.  My friend Dave asked me if I liked Chicago, I said "Yes", and he told me that his sister had bought their live album, but didn't like it.  She had played Side One and it didn't grab her at all.  She was going to try and sell it for five dollars.  I gave him five dollars on the spot.  Five dollars for a live album sounded like a great deal.  He came by my house later with it, and it's a four LP boxed set!  I spent most of the next few weeks listening to it over and over.  There was so much to it, it never got boring.  By time I finished a listen through, I was ready for another.  The stereo was in the front room of the house, and was rarely used.  It became my listening room, until I bought my own stereo.  At that point, I became much like any other teenager, spending pretty much all my time in my room listening to records.  I had four of them.

Chicago at Carnegie Hall.  See above.

Going for the One by Yes.  It still blows me away the balls these guys had, making this album.  Electric and acoustic guitars, synthesizers, tuned percussion, grand piano, church choir, pipe organ, and somehow it's all still rock and roll.

I don't do this much any more, but I used to play along to my Chicago albums on either flute or saxophone.  I used to play along with Side Two of The Dark Side of the Moon on the piano.  With records, you're more limited.  I usually did a side at a time.

Interesting question.  I don't think my music listening habits changed at all when I fell in love, so it's not really a valid question for me.  Being a burnout geek loser, I've only had a couple of girlfriends in my life, the last one when I was 20.  She eventually became my fiancée, and now my wife of over 26 years.  I used to play anything from Chicago to Zappa to Genesis to Yes when she was around.  It never occurred to me to change up what I was listening to just because she might not like it.

In my day, you gave mix tapes.  Mix tapes were a very personal thing, because they were a collection of tunes selected by one person specifically for another person.  The person making it had to sit and record from records onto cassette tape in real time.  A 90-minute tape took at least two hours to make.  It represented an investment in time.  That's how much it meant to you, and you're giving it to someone.  There was no shuffling or skipping, at least not easily, so the order could also matter, and often extra care also went into the order of the tunes.  Nowadays, people send each other links to songs on YouTube or maybe Soundcloud, but it's not the same thing.

I am Close to the Edge by Yes.  I am both very complex and deceptively simple.  I start off in near cacophony, have moments of placid reflection, often touch upon everything in between, and will someday fade away...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:26:45 PM by Orbert »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
Real brief:  I've checked in on this thread, and because of it, yesterday I listened to the longest album that I have:
Chicago at Carnegie Hall vinyl
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »

I have two answers for this one. The first full album I got a hold of in a physical format were two albums at once actually. The Offsprings' Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace and Bullet For My Valentine's The Poison, both of which my older brother received from a friend of his which he then passed onto me. They both hold a bit of nostalgic value for me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them now.

The first full album I bought with my own money was a CD of Metallica's Master of Puppets, a purchase I still don't regret. I was already a fan of Metallica but was very much only a "singles" guy at the time and only ever knew certain songs from the bands I that claimed to like, not full albums. Puppets would be my introduction into actively listening to full albums from then on.

Probably Robert Rich's Somnium, an ambient/drone album meant to be played while falling into sleep and runs for nearly 7 hours. Though this wasn't in one sitting and it wasn't a totally active listen.

In terms of active listening, that goes to Ten Freedom Summers by Wadada Leo Smith, a great though not-so-conventional jazz album that clocks in at about 4 hours 34 minutes.

I don't have an absolute #1 since it's been a three-way tie for some time now, and each of these three have been my #1 at some time or another.

Aphrodite's Child - 666: An amazingly cohesive concept album that never fails to amuse when I give it a listen. It's at times incredibly fun and catchy but can quickly change dials and turn haunting, eerie, dark, and tribal. It flows and progresses so well, yet really just does whatever it wants. Definitely the most liberating musical experience I can think of.

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom: I've always found this album unpredictable, even after however many times I've listened to it. Each listen yields some new nuanced detail that lay undiscovered before. The soundscapes that Robert Wyatt paints here are so surreal, it reminds me of the whimsy of a child yet the emotional maturity of an adult at odds with each other. This album is one of the most personal I can think of, both beautiful and melancholic. It really is as the title says of it says. Plus it has my favorite song of all time, "Little Red Riding Hood Hit the Road".

Yes - Close to the Edge: For me, the peak of traditional prog music. It encapsulates so much of what I love about the genre. Never afraid to show off some technical proficiency, it never slouches on being emotionally uplifting or moving either. The lyrics are superb, the melodies are sweet. This whole album just stands on this other plane existence, and for me is almost spiritual in a way. Very few albums can make me feel the way this album feels, simply put.

I played guitar at a very novice level, and would (try) to play along to Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

:emo:

But seriously, that's a tough one. In my past experience I'd listen to:

Arcade Fire - Funeral and The Suburbs
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
And as described above, Yes - Close to the Edge

Not really. I don't know many people who listen to full albums. Maybe if I knew they were really big on a certain band, I'll do it in the future.

Idk, Trout Mask Replica. Long-winded, vile, foul, and probably insane. How am I supposed to answer this question? :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 12:59:22 AM »

mission accongo'd

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 01:04:57 AM »

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 01:15:25 AM »

I have......no idea. I remember being into movie soundtracks when I was much younger. One of the earliest albums I remember buying, however, was Hemispheres by Rush. Doubt it was my first album, but I can't remember much before it.

Has to be The Astonishing. Not too many albums longer. What an odd question.

The Perfect Element by Pain of Salvation. Just brilliant music and the most perfect lyrics telling a gut wrenching story. So many prog concept albums are plot focused and end up sounding silly, which is why I like PoS albums so much, the albums are about emotions and character and are just brutal on an emotional level.

I don't really enjoy playing cover songs on any instrument. When I play guitar or bass, I usually am trying to write. When I play drums, sometimes I'll play Metallica or Power Metal songs as a means of warming up and getting my speed up if I'm out of practice.

......the same albums as I do when I'm not in love?

No. I don't feel that need to show off the music I like as some holy grail that other people are lucky to be exposed to.

Alien by Strapping Young Lad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 01:20:55 AM »

i think if i gave my friends/relatives the kind of music i listen to they'd never speak to me again

This happens in roulettes, too :P

This made me think... my close family knows most of the things I'm listening to because I blast it out loud but I think my cousins, aunts etc. have no idea. Some of them don't even know I'm a metal fan, and most people are surprised when I tell them because I'm always very calm and quiet (opposed to metalhead stereotype :lol).  I can't imagine their reaction if I played them some progressive instrumentals or some of the weird stuff I'm listening to.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:10:14 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »

I don't have particular albums I listen to when I'm in love but I have albums that take me back to a time when I was falling in love. Right now a lot of songs by The Dear Hunter make me think of my girlfriend and make my heart swell, especially stuff of The Colour Spectrum.

I think I am going to go for England Keep My Bones by Frank Turner. This album would probably get into my top 50 albums. I think it best sums up how I've been feeling about life the last few years. It is very English (although I'm not particularly patriotic) and celebrates parts of English culture in a beautiful way. Frank is also a similar age to me and has similar views, he doesn't want to be tied to a life that he feels he is expected to lead or feels socially pressured into, he wants to travel, live his life, take risks and not live a safe (boring) life. I'm planning to travel again soon with my girlfriend and every time I listen to this album I want to up and leave and just experience more of the big wide world. He also celebrates the power that music can have in a perfect way (in my opinion) with songs like I Still Believe.
I've already said so, but that The Dear Hunter sounds interesting. Your comment on it makes me more curious about it.

Your other answer is interesting to me as well. Usually in my country, people either hate English people or they consider them boring and dry. To me, it's the complete opposite. My favourite TV series (Peep Show, Black Mirror, Friday Night Dinner, Man Stroke Woman) are English. I've always loved the way English people talk - not just the accent, but certain ways of expressing ideas, and their humour. I read a cool interview with Frank last year - didn't know who he was - and he came across as a cool guy (he used to be in a punk/hardcore band, but later he explored his softer, acoustic side as a solo artist, right?).

I've only been to England (London in particular) just once, 5 years ago, but I loved it. It was February, so it was the middle of the Winter. Still, I remember we got lucky because there was one sunny day while we were visiting. My city frequently receives English tourists, and whenever I hear them talk on the street I smile. I like engaging in conversations when possible, too. A few years ago there was this cool exchange student who visited the city for half a year, and he shared my love for Peep Show and some bands, so a few times we went out to eat and I got to practice my English speaking skills. Well, he was Scottish, but still.

Yes, you are right about Frank Turner, he used to be in a hardcore band but now plays the type of punky folk music I love. He has really relatable songs to some one of my age and experience, growing up in a small town in England. He is a very down to earth guy and hates all the "Rock Star" bullshit. I can't recommend him enough, especially the album England Keep My Bones.

I'm a big fan of Peep Show too, very underrated comedy.

Also I do suggest you check out The Dear Hunter as soon as possible, they are fantastic and put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 02:09:52 AM »

This made me think... my close family knows most of the things I'm listening to because I blast it out loud but I think my cousins, aunts etc. have no idea. Some of them don't even know I'm a metal fan, and most people are surprised when I tell them because I'm always very calm quiet (opposed to metalhead stereotype :lol).  I can't imagine their reaction if I played them some progressive instrumentals or some of the weird stuff I'm listening to.
I think actually quite a lot of the " calm quiet (opposed to metalhead stereotype :lol) " people listen to metal.  It's a great way for them to lose some stress I think  :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2016, 03:11:15 AM »

This made me think... my close family knows most of the things I'm listening to because I blast it out loud but I think my cousins, aunts etc. have no idea. Some of them don't even know I'm a metal fan, and most people are surprised when I tell them because I'm always very calm quiet (opposed to metalhead stereotype :lol).  I can't imagine their reaction if I played them some progressive instrumentals or some of the weird stuff I'm listening to.
I think actually quite a lot of the " calm quiet (opposed to metalhead stereotype :lol) " people listen to metal.  It's a great way for them to lose some stress I think  :P
This actually makes sense :tup

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 04:06:43 AM »
1. I couldn't tell you what the first one I ever heard was but the first one I bought with my own money would be Imagine Dragons - Night Visions: At the time, I was really into worst-of songs lists but at times I wouldn't understand what was so bad about some of the songs they listed, so I would often go to iTunes & preview the songs (lame, I know). Anyway, through this process, I began being interested in album structures & how certain tracks were spread out. I became so intrigued with the structure of an album that I eventually decided to search for a band I liked, so I listened to the album previews, liked it, & eventually bought it. In fact, I still occasionally listen to it to this day.

2. If Load/Reload counts as one album, that one, if Use Your Illusion counts as one album, that one, otherwise The Astonishing.

3. Yes - Close to the Edge: perfect balance between complexity, surface accessibility (well, to me at least), & a classic 70's sound with a whole world of dynamics. Every song (albeit there's only 3) can fit with any emotion I may be feeling at the time, & it still retains its emotional value while still being incredibly immersive. This used to be rivaled with Images & Words, but a lot of I&W's value wore off once I stopped using earbuds to listen to music (seriously, I&W sounded amazing on cheap earbuds at the time), still my favourite DT album though.

4. I play bass, though not enough to know a full album (or more than a few songs in general), I did plan on learning all the songs off Octavarium, but stopped when I couldn't pull off the bass fill at the end of These Walls.

5. My music usually doesn't change when I'm in love with someone.  :-\

6. I remember giving my dad a copy of Back In Black once (because despite being a huge AC/DC fan, he only had a few tracks off each album). Other than that though, I can't recall many times where I'd done so. If I got them albums I didn't already know they'd wanted, they'd probably be weirded out by my proggier musical taste. A few days ago I suggested to my brother that he use King Crimson's The Sheltering Sky as background music while he worked on drawings & his first response was "Is this what being on drugs sounds like?".  :lol Anyway, I'm going on a tangent so I'll just stop now.

7. GnR - Chinese Democracy: a disappointment to everybody. :biggrin:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:30 AM »

Atleast you don't listen to The Swans - Seer. :neverusethis:

I'm sorry Sacul

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:06 AM »

This actually makes sense :tup
I think it's becoming less of a thing than before, to be showing off you're a 'metal-head' by your appearance. I know one or two guys who still rock the bracelets with spikes, army boots and long hair, but I don't look anything like a stereotypical metalhead.

The point being made about calm people listening to metal as sort of a stress-relief I can see. Though for me I don't think that's the case.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 07:15:41 AM »
7. GnR - Chinese Democracy: a disappointment to everybody. :biggrin:
:D

It never occurred to me to change up what I was listening to just because she might not like it.

In my day, you gave mix tapes.
On question 5: Maybe I should have asked the question using different words (because from reading most answers, it seems to me I was misunderstood). What I meant to ask was, 'what album/s do you listen to when you start liking or having a crush on someone?'. It's interesting to me, because, when that happens, I find myself listening to music I might have ignored for years, and I ignore music I've been listening to for years - in short, my taste changes, and I feel the need to listen to bright simple pop and melodic punk (and I leave prog or world music behind for some time). By the way, congratulations on that marriage!

On question 6: I agree on everything you said about mixtapes. I was a teen in the early '00s, yet I developed a huge interest in making mixtapes (both for myself and for friends). It was the most fun for me sitting in my room all day, making lists of what song/s to choose from each album, and coming up with a cool order, which also had to obey to ceratin rules - the timing, for instance (since you were limited by the length of the tape for each side of the cassette). Later on, when we were in our late teens, my friends and I kept the tradition, but with CD-Rs, which of course made the process easier / faster, but way less entertaining. At least you had more space for artwork / drawings / liner notes :)

I have two answers for this one. The first full album I got a hold of in a physical format were two albums at once actually. The Offsprings' Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace and Bullet For My Valentine's The Poison, both of which my older brother received from a friend of his which he then passed onto me. They both hold a bit of nostalgic value for me, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them now.

Aphrodite's Child - 666: An amazingly cohesive concept album that never fails to amuse when I give it a listen. It's at times incredibly fun and catchy but can quickly change dials and turn haunting, eerie, dark, and tribal. It flows and progresses so well, yet really just does whatever it wants. Definitely the most liberating musical experience I can think of.
Too bad that Offspring album doesn't get as much love as their earlier ones. I think it's strong, and features many great songs - "Kristy", "Rock Botom", "Nothingtown" (with a cool bass solo by Greg :tup).

About 666- the only thing I remember about the whole of it, is Irene Papas singing 'I am, I was, I am to come, I was' in "∞" over and over again, and sounding creepier and more 'orgamisc' as the song progresses. By the way, do you like Vangelis? Of course it's not remotely rock music like this album, but you mentioned Yes, so there's a chance you might enjoy his work with Jon at least??

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »
Couple thoughts from reading the replies...

Prog Snob said "funny how tastes change..." and that's interesting, because mine really haven't.  They've EXPANDED... I'm not a metal snob like I was in high school, but I still love to put on You Can't Stop Rock and Roll from Twisted Sister, or the Scorpions, or Priest.  I think the only album(s) I'm really self-conscious about are some of the Scorpions albums (because of the covers) and Stay Hungry, because of the costumes and the videos.  I feel like Twisted got a little too cartoon-y for my tastes then, and still to this day.  But I would put Dee Snider up against anybody as a metal singer (hell, as a singer in general). 

Funny how so many people in a forum feel they are "unique outcasts".   I mean this in a good way, but you're not.  No matter what you're feeling, or how alienated you feel, SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has felt that too.

Finally, this:
I think it's becoming less of a thing than before, to be showing off you're a 'metal-head' by your appearance. I know one or two guys who still rock the bracelets with spikes, army boots and long hair, but I don't look anything like a stereotypical metalhead.

I can remember, it was '83, '84 or so, I was 15 or 16, and at my friend John's house.  We were best friends, and played in a metal band together.   So between us we had the studded arm bands, the belts, the red parachute pants, the bandannas, etc.   It was a Saturday night, it was just us and his sister and two of her friends.   And we were showing off, as kids (boys) do, playing our guitars, cranking up the music (think Dokken, Kiss, Scorpions... early 80's metal) and I can remember one of the girls said "let me dress you up!" and we went into John's room and she put on all the metal "gear".  Arm bands, the tiger print tank top - Google "Paul Stanley, 1984" and you get the idea - and to this day, I don't know her name, I can't even really picture her face (she was cute, not hot, in an Amer-asian sort of way) but I can recall the palpable sense of desire... I wanted to kiss her so badly, touch her, fuck her, and it was weird, because not an hour before I had no interest, nothing happened, and the feeling faded never to return, but at that moment, being decked out like a metal hero, it was such a sense of power and sex and ... I know this sounds totally crazy, but it's a feeling that I can remember almost 30 years later, so it was REAL.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:45:12 AM by Stadler »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »

Atleast you don't listen to Death Grips or Merzbow. :neverusethis:
Fixed ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2016, 10:45:18 AM »
personally I like metal because it has the potential to be more dynamic than most genres.
simultaneously this is part of why I dislike consistently loud metal, it's boring and not dynamic in the slightest

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
Finally, this:

I can remember, it was '83, '84 or so, I was 15 or 16, and at my friend John's house.  We were best friends, and played in a metal band together.   So between us we had the studded arm bands, the belts, the red parachute pants, the bandannas, etc.   It was a Saturday night, it was just us and his sister and two of her friends.   And we were showing off, as kids (boys) do, playing our guitars, cranking up the music (think Dokken, Kiss, Scorpions... early 80's metal) and I can remember one of the girls said "let me dress you up!" and we went into John's room and she put on all the metal "gear".  Arm bands, the tiger print tank top - Google "Paul Stanley, 1984" and you get the idea - and to this day, I don't know her name, I can't even really picture her face (she was cute, not hot, in an Amer-asian sort of way) but I can recall the palpable sense of desire... I wanted to kiss her so badly, touch her, fuck her, and it was weird, because not an hour before I had no interest, nothing happened, and the feeling faded never to return, but at that moment, being decked out like a metal hero, it was such a sense of power and sex and ... I know this sounds totally crazy, but it's a feeling that I can remember almost 30 years later, so it was REAL.
:rollin

I need Stadler as my personal storyteller.

I've been to one of those goo' ol garage jam sessions of a friend once and it's totally awesome. Jamming in a rented studio of the college a friend of mine is attending isn't nearly as fun (still pretty cool though).

personally I like metal because it has the potential to be more dynamic than most genres.
Same here.. all in it for the music. I just love when people say all metal is is screaming and loud noise, and maybe it's because it's one of the only genres I pay so much attention to, but the top 40 stuff they listen to isn't nearly as 'interesting'. I find myself enjoying music more when you can really dig deep into an artists catalogue, song/album structures, song meanings and stuff.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2016, 12:02:50 PM »

It never occurred to me to change up what I was listening to just because she might not like it.

In my day, you gave mix tapes.
On question 5: Maybe I should have asked the question using different words (because from reading most answers, it seems to me I was misunderstood). What I meant to ask was, 'what album/s do you listen to when you start liking or having a crush on someone?'. It's interesting to me, because, when that happens, I find myself listening to music I might have ignored for years, and I ignore music I've been listening to for years - in short, my taste changes, and I feel the need to listen to bright simple pop and melodic punk (and I leave prog or world music behind for some time). By the way, congratulations on that marriage!

On question 6: I agree on everything you said about mixtapes. I was a teen in the early '00s, yet I developed a huge interest in making mixtapes (both for myself and for friends). It was the most fun for me sitting in my room all day, making lists of what song/s to choose from each album, and coming up with a cool order, which also had to obey to ceratin rules - the timing, for instance (since you were limited by the length of the tape for each side of the cassette). Later on, when we were in our late teens, my friends and I kept the tradition, but with CD-Rs, which of course made the process easier / faster, but way less entertaining. At least you had more space for artwork / drawings / liner notes :)

I figured that was what you meant about #5, but somehow that never made it into my reply.  Longtime DTF'ers know that I can write some very long posts.  What's not as obvious is that they go through several revisions and edits along the way.  Also, there are a lot of posts that I wrestle with for a while and then eventually give up on.  I never do post a reply; I just delete it all.  In this case, I had multiple points to make, and reduced it to one.

My first thought was "I'm in love! I feel like listening to some ABBA, or maybe Air Supply.  I know... Barry Manilow!"  Except that that never happens to me, or any sane man.  But there you go.  Emotions are wacky, and music hits on an emotional level.  But the closest thing to that happening for me is listening to music that I might not have otherwise picked, because she's around and likes it.  My wife and I dated for seven years, and I fell in love sometime during that period, but it wasn't a thunderbolt; it was more like a slow roast.  At some point it was done, but it's hard to say exactly when.  So there was no Walking on Sunshine moment.

Similarly, my "mix tape" response originally included a bit about "CD-R mix discs" and how the idea is the same, but much easier to do, and since the time investment isn't nearly as significant, to me it somehow didn't carry the same importance.  But you're right; doing the custom artwork was fun and made up for it.  I made a CD-R or two for my girlfriend-now-wife, but stopped when it became clear that our tastes were too divergent.  I'd ask her what she thought of certain tunes, and she'd say "Oh, I skipped that one.  I didn't like it."  (In other words, she listened to about 10 seconds and blew it off.)  That's what led to the remark about how you couldn't easily skip tracks on a mix tape.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2016, 12:49:10 PM »

Too bad that Offspring album doesn't get as much love as their earlier ones. I think it's strong, and features many great songs - "Kristy", "Rock Botom", "Nothingtown" (with a cool bass solo by Greg :tup).

Even though I said I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to the album now, I still really like "Half-Truism" and "Hammerhead".

About 666- the only thing I remember about the whole of it, is Irene Papas singing 'I am, I was, I am to come, I was' in "∞" over and over again, and sounding creepier and more 'orgamisc' as the song progresses. By the way, do you like Vangelis? Of course it's not remotely rock music like this album, but you mentioned Yes, so there's a chance you might enjoy his work with Jon at least??

I feel as though the strangeness of that track often overshadows how great the rest of the album really is in the minds of most people who listen to it, and I still love "∞" as it is.

Vangelis is a genius. His film scores, soundtracks, solo output. I haven't gotten around to listening to every single thing he's put out, but it's all great. Of course, his work with Jon Anderson shouldn't be ignored either.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »
The first album i had was actually my fathers... it was an EP containing only 2 songs which were recorded in the band he was in back in the late 70's early 80's... Band fizzed away but they were on the same scene as Iron Maiden.. playing at the Ruskin Arms and other pubs (as you do back in the day when music was live)....

Solo Album in the making.....

Offline 425

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
simultaneously this is part of why I dislike consistently loud metal, it's boring and not dynamic in the slightest
Same here.. all in it for the music. I just love when people say all metal is is screaming and loud noise, and maybe it's because it's one of the only genres I pay so much attention to, but the top 40 stuff they listen to isn't nearly as 'interesting'. I find myself enjoying music more when you can really dig deep into an artists catalogue, song/album structures, song meanings and stuff.

I agree with most of this.

I have to say, I really hate identifying as a metal fan and make a point of not doing so, even though somewhere around a third of music I listen to would be classed as some type of metal (it's about 35% metal, 35% prog rock and 30% other). I just don't identify with the reasons other people name as why they like metal. People talk a lot about how they like metal because it's loud and fast and dangerous, or whatever. I don't care about that at all, it doesn't matter to me, and it really just doesn't strike me as a good reason to like a genre of music. I don't like metal qua metal, I like good music that meets my tastes, and a lot of that ends up being metal. For me, the draw to a lot of metal is probably more about epic scope in terms of melody and emotion. It's certainly what draws me to something like Dream Theater's A Nightmare to Remember or Kamelot's Memento Mori or Nightwish's Ghost Love Score. It's not "this is heavy and loud so I like it," it's "this is really massive, there's a lot of melody, emotion and dynamic stuff here."

When people in real life ask me what my favorite genre of music is, I always say that it's prog rock. It's intentional, because I don't like the "metalhead" stereotype and don't really identify with most metal fans in terms of why I listen to music. No disrespect to self-identified metal fans, it just is not a label to which I feel any sort of connection at all.

I also don't like most music that's really obscure and seems to be almost intentionally inaccessible. If something is inaccessible because it's a huge edifice of melody and complexity that takes several listens to take in, and eventually coheres, that's one thing. Something like Close to the Edge—I imagine if you listened to that having no knowledge of prog or epics, you'd have no idea what's going on, but if you listened to it probably 5 or definitely 10 times, you'd be able to see the structure and understand the whole edifice. Even if you didn't particularly like it. But to me that's different from something that's just played so loudly, rapidly and aggressively that it's almost impossible to make out what's going on, or is so complex that its complexity takes away from its quality. Close to the Edge is a complex song, but everything has its purpose. Maybe some people like music like what I described, and again, no disrespect to those who do, but it's not my thing. My idea is that I should be able to play any song I like for a total layperson to the genre and at least be able to explain generally what's going on in the song, why it is written and played the way it is and why I like it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 03:01:28 PM »

Not counting albums my parents/family/friends would let me borrow and whatnot, Avenged Sevenfold's City of Evil was the first album I sought out to have myself. It was my seminal album for so long and I still love it, wouldn't say it is my absolute favorite, but I still have such a love for it because of the avenues of music that it opened up for me.

Probably The Lord of the Rings Complete Soundtrack by Howard Shore. Beautiful stuff, of course, haha.

The National - Boxer. It's the embodiment of growing up, the feelings of losing people you've been friends with for so long, the heartache of loving someone and feeling like you might overdo it, and the anxiety and worry that comes with taking on responsibility and finding new opportunities in life. The songs are genuine, they are real, and they are often catchy, beautiful, and have so much depth. The lyrics are phenomenal, Matt Berninger's vocals are just something else, and overall the album just encapsulates what music can do for you-- it can be there for you when you're sad, it can lift you up when you're happy, and it is always there for you no matter what. That's what Boxer is to me.

I can sort of play piano, and I've loved trying to work out various Anathema songs, but overall I'm not that good with any instruments. I sing and have sang competitively since I was 4, though, and I absolutely love belting it out to Fair to Midland's Fables from a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True.

In love? Probably Anathema's Weather Systems. It's light, it's bright, it's just an overall amalmagation of happiness. However, falling out of love, or heartbreak, etc. is where I really tend to listen to music-- Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago, Frightened Rabbit's The Midnight Organ Fight, The National's High Violet,

I've not often given albums as presents, as I'm probably the most into music amongst my family and friends, but I've introduced some albums to friends. Showing my friend Sean Fair to Midland and Mastodon basically changed his viewpoint on music, and he loves those two bands like nothing else.

Right now, I'd say I'm like The National's Alligator. A bit reckless, a bit wild as I'm still in college, but trying to grow up at the same time. Still wanting to have fun as much as I can, but recognizing that things like that come to an end eventually. Having regrets, finding and losing lovers, and trying to cope with it all-- that's what Alligator reminds me of, and in that way, reminds me of myself right now.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2016, 03:56:25 PM »

I agree with most of this.

I have to say, I really hate identifying as a metal fan and make a point of not doing so, even though somewhere around a third of music I listen to would be classed as some type of metal (it's about 35% metal, 35% prog rock and 30% other). I just don't identify with the reasons other people name as why they like metal. People talk a lot about how they like metal because it's loud and fast and dangerous, or whatever. I don't care about that at all, it doesn't matter to me, and it really just doesn't strike me as a good reason to like a genre of music. I don't like metal qua metal, I like good music that meets my tastes, and a lot of that ends up being metal. For me, the draw to a lot of metal is probably more about epic scope in terms of melody and emotion. It's certainly what draws me to something like Dream Theater's A Nightmare to Remember or Kamelot's Memento Mori or Nightwish's Ghost Love Score. It's not "this is heavy and loud so I like it," it's "this is really massive, there's a lot of melody, emotion and dynamic stuff here."

When people in real life ask me what my favorite genre of music is, I always say that it's prog rock. It's intentional, because I don't like the "metalhead" stereotype and don't really identify with most metal fans in terms of why I listen to music. No disrespect to self-identified metal fans, it just is not a label to which I feel any sort of connection at all.

I also don't like most music that's really obscure and seems to be almost intentionally inaccessible. If something is inaccessible because it's a huge edifice of melody and complexity that takes several listens to take in, and eventually coheres, that's one thing. Something like Close to the Edge—I imagine if you listened to that having no knowledge of prog or epics, you'd have no idea what's going on, but if you listened to it probably 5 or definitely 10 times, you'd be able to see the structure and understand the whole edifice. Even if you didn't particularly like it. But to me that's different from something that's just played so loudly, rapidly and aggressively that it's almost impossible to make out what's going on, or is so complex that its complexity takes away from its quality. Close to the Edge is a complex song, but everything has its purpose. Maybe some people like music like what I described, and again, no disrespect to those who do, but it's not my thing. My idea is that I should be able to play any song I like for a total layperson to the genre and at least be able to explain generally what's going on in the song, why it is written and played the way it is and why I like it.
It's easier to just say that I listen to metal. When I'm asked, I usually say I listen to many different things, mostly rock (broad term, I know). And I also don't like to think or say I'm a metalhead because many metalheads I met act like metal is the only music out there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »

I can totally relate. Totally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »

Yeah, I get it, pop sucks, metal, yadda yadda yadda, but I'm perpetually fascinated by the concept of sitting down, writing a three-minute, thirty-second song, and having it connect with millions and millions of people.    To me, there is a profound difference between what Rush and Metallica did (purposefully writing shorter, more concise songs that are still intense, still created with integrity, and still created to connect with a kid in his bedroom seeking answers, and the Disney Product of the WeekTM, which is primarily intended to move units.   

I don't get the idea of being obtuse on purpose.  It's almost easy to build walls; to me it's hard to knock them down.   To this day, after about 400 concerts, one of the most memorable moments ever (and the only time I've ever cried at a concert) was when Paul McCartney walked out on stage with just an acoustic guitar - after already playing for about 2 hours straight through - and playing a solo, unaccompanied "Yesterday".    It was so moving, and he had every one of the 20,000 people in that room (the Wachovia Center in Philly) ENRAPTURED for 2 minutes and 2 seconds.   I was by myself, but I remember turning away from the girl next to me because I had tears running down my face, and she yelled over "Don't worry, you're not the only one". 

If it was so easy, everyone would do it. 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
I think when most people answer to "what kind of music do you like" with something along the lines of "you know, a bit of everything" (which really annoys me at times >:() it's because they don't want to identify themselves with a certain stereotype attached to a genre. That's why this probably happens more when the question comes up in a conversation where you barely know the other person.

Also, I don't really like talking about music in real life, unless I'm with someone who is genuinely interested in it, rather than just talking about which hot new artists I should check out or something. So mostly I'll just answer with something like "mostly rock". I remember mentioning progressive rock once and I won't use that one anytime soon, caused more confusion than I expected :lol

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
I think when most people answer to "what kind of music do you like" with something along the lines of "you know, a bit of everything" (which really annoys me at times >:() it's because they don't want to identify themselves with a certain stereotype attached to a genre. That's why this probably happens more when the question comes up in a conversation where you barely know the other person.
Mm, I think of it another way. The usual response where I live is "I listen to a bit of everything... except for cumbia and reggaeton" (those genres being the 'hip-hop' to our country, in some ways). Still, after some further talk, it's clear those people don't listen to much (diverse) music, and maybe they are exaggerating, or they think their taste is broader than it really is. Usually, when I get to know them, I discover they only listen to rock classics from the '60s to '90s, maybe some modern pop, and that's it basically. It's obvious it's impossible to listen to "a bit of everything", since there are way too many genres of music - not only subgenres of Western pop/rock/jazz, but also a lot of different traditional ethnic music from all around the world. Maybe "a bit of different things" would be a better answer.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
The first album I ever bought was Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare.

2. What's the longest studio album you've listened to? (live jazz albums of new material also count.)
The Astonishing.

Metallica's Master of Puppets has been my favorite album since I'm three years old. In my opinion, it's perfect from start to finish, and it's the first album I ever remember hearing. I've loved it since the first moment I heard it.

On bass, the first four Metallica albums are mainstays in my practice schedule. On drums, I can fly through Scenes from a Memory and Octavarium along with the aforementioned Nightmare no problem.

5. What album/s do you listen to when you're having a crush or started liking someone?
I never listened to specific songs or albums when I was crushing on my now girlfriend, but she started listening to Metallica as soon as our best friend told her it was my favorite band.

No. Among the people I know, I'm the only one who really likes full albums.

I don't know if there's any one album to define who I am, but the album I feel the most personal connection to is Octavarium. Something about it just speaks to me on a spiritual level.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »
1. First Album ever

Dire Straits „Making Movies“ on vinyl, bought from my own pocket and paper route money at a small local record store

2. Longest album

Problably DT’s The Astonishing, but size doesn’t matter, as we all know

3. Favorite album

I shy away from declaring one album the ultimate best that I have/know, because there are so much awesome albums out there. But if I have to pinpoint it for the sake of this thread it would be DT’s “Images And Words”. That’s the album that probably had the most impact on me and is probably my most played record.

4. Albums to play along to

I used to play guitar but I wasn’t very good. I seldom played whole cover songs, apart from the roundabout 50 songs I played in my covers-band. I was more like learning a riff and a lick here and there from songs I liked. And then I had a shitty technique, Kurt Cobain could probably shred better and faster than me, so I couldn’t play along to records like Dream Theater, even if I wanted to.

What I did was jam along to some records, mainly rock or blues record like Gary Moore, Robben Ford, Stevie Ray Vaughan etc. Just noodling along and trying to improvise.

5. Albums when I’m in love

Nothing particular and nothing that tied me to a certain girl/woman, because if it went bad it may taint my liking of certain records.

6. Albums to friends

I gave a whole lot to my younger sister, so that her tastes are now similar to mine. I turned her on to Dream Theater, Queensryche, Savatage, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon and the like.

When I was in a band we exchanged music constantly and for some time I had a friend/colleague that was also into metal and we exchanged a lot of records and I discovered quite a few new bands through him and vice versa. Sadly when he changed jobs we kinda lost contact.

Other than that only the occasional mix-tapecd for my wife.

7. What album are you

Probably some heavy concept double album that gains weight the longer you play it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D