Author Topic: The Jazz Thread  (Read 112552 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Jazz Thread
« Reply #350 on: July 24, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
I need some big band Jazz album suggestions.

Check out Mingus Big Band's Nostalgia in Times Square. They specialize in Mingus tunes, and the version of Moanin' is mind blowing. Ronnie Cuber is one of the best bari sax players that I've heard in a long time, and he just throws down on that track.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: July 24, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
i'm just listening to Herbie's Fat Albert Rotunda, as i got it today, and i'm kind of assuming you have it as well. but yes, it's really good!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: July 24, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »
Actually no. I haven't listened to anything of his other than Head Hunters. I have a tendency to find something I like and stay on it for a really long time.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #353 on: July 24, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
i'm just listening to Herbie's Fat Albert Rotunda, as i got it today, and i'm kind of assuming you have it as well. but yes, it's really good!

Dude, that's my absolute favorite by HH.  Well, it's a tossup between Fat Albert and Mwandishi. 

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #354 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »

Dude, that's my absolute favorite by HH.  Well, it's a tossup between Fat Albert and Mwandishi. 

dude, i love both too. mwandishi is superbly superb and F.A.R just ended. great album, you should check it out Pat.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:49 PM »

dude, i love both too. mwandishi is superbly superb and F.A.R just ended. great album, you should check it out Pat.

After Fat Albert Rotunda is done I'll queue it up.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: July 24, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
Herbie Hancock never ceases to amaze me.
prog sucks

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #357 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »
Well, I'm a listening to Everybody Digs Bill Evans for the first time, and I must say, there couldn't have been a better title.   :smiley:

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #358 on: July 25, 2011, 02:07:01 AM »
Well, I'm a listening to Everybody Digs Bill Evans for the first time, and I must say, there couldn't have been a better title.   :smiley:

Heh, yeah it's a pretty amazing album. Have you got Sunday at the Village Vanguard?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:14 AM »

Heh, yeah it's a pretty amazing album. Have you got Sunday at the Village Vanguard?

Nope, is it like 4 discs, or something?

Cause if that's the case, I'll have to beg for that from my family for like Christmas.  If not, I'm getting it ASAP.

I'll definitely keep it in mind, and also would you say if Waltz For Debbie is worth my money?

« Reply #360 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:26 AM »

Nope, is it like 4 discs, or something?

Cause if that's the case, I'll have to beg for that from my family for like Christmas.  If not, I'm getting it ASAP.

I'll definitely keep it in mind, and also would you say if Waltz For Debbie is worth my money?

The Village Vanguard boxset is 3 cds. Most people think this is his best work. It's in my top 5 of favourite jazz recordings ever, it really is amazing. What makes it more amazing is that the bass player, Scott Lafaro, died 10 days after this recording. So it's the last recording of one of the greatest, if not the greatest, jazz piano trios ever.

Waltz For Debbie is actually a selection of songs from the Village Vanguard sessions. So the boxset includes all the songs on Waltz For Debbie.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #361 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:12 AM »
So, in other words, if I buy the VV, I effectively have Waltz for Debbie?

How swell.  ^^

Are there any other Evans albums I'd be effectively owning by going ahead and getting the Village Vanguard set?

« Reply #362 on: July 25, 2011, 02:32:28 AM »
So, in other words, if I buy the VV, I effectively have Waltz for Debbie?

Yep.

Are there any other Evans albums I'd be effectively owning by going ahead and getting the Village Vanguard set?

Yeah, 2 seperate cds were taken from the Vanguard sessions: Waltz For Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard. The boxset also has some extras, there's a track of the band discussing the repertoire, and the announcements and intermissions were kept in as extra tracks. Oh, and there's a couple of minutes of solo improvisation by Evans to fill up the tapes at the end.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #363 on: July 25, 2011, 02:33:09 AM »
Jazz is one of the greatest genres in music. From the early jazz of greats like Duke Ellington to new fusion artists like Pat Metheny, we appreciate all that is Jazz in this thread. Talk about concerts you have seen, your favorite artists, etc.

I'm more of a Jazz-fusion person myself, but I also love the more traditional jazz. I'm also not a big fan of vocal jazz.

Bro detected. Commence agreement.

I love Weather Report, Miles Davis, John Coltraine, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock and Pat Metheny. I do need to get hold of some Dave Brubeck and some of the more traditional stuff too. Recently I heard Santana for the first time, and I need to get some of his stuff. What would people recommend?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #364 on: July 25, 2011, 02:43:41 AM »
In terms of Santana, go fer Caravanserai, if yer in search of his jazziest album, but I love all of his first 4.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #365 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:28 AM »
Excellent, will do, thanks.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2011, 05:20:44 AM »
I've been listening to Santana before I even knew what music was. Get his first album! That's perhaps my first exposure to him and gets me nostalgia every time. Not "jazz" per se, but necessary if you want to get into Santana.
The jazzy stuff would be Caravanserai and Abraxas, which I also just adore of his. You will not be disappointed mate.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Early Santana is great. You can tell that he was destined to be great.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: July 25, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
So I listened to Mwandishi, and I just want to know... what's with the 15/8? WHY WAS IT NECESSARY!?!
prog sucks

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:31 PM »
I don't know what you're really talking about. but anyway, i'm listening to amy winehouse seriously for the first time. not bad!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: July 25, 2011, 08:46:59 PM »
My sister has been listening to her lately as well. She isn't bad at all. I really wish her addictions hadn't overshadowed how talented she was. More people would've seen that she could really sing.
prog sucks

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: July 25, 2011, 09:23:02 PM »
it's funny i have some pop music my sisters will never get or want, but then again i have lots of music they'll never desire to hear. oh well.

Offline Metropolis pt.-1

« Reply #372 on: July 26, 2011, 05:30:33 AM »
I saw Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea and Lenny White play in 2009. That was awesome!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #373 on: July 26, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
Just started to listen to the Fearless Leader Coltrane box set. If you don't hear from me for a couple days, do not be alarmed.
prog sucks

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #374 on: July 28, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
Jukka Eskola is awesome, thanks to whoever recommended it on the other forum. Deimos?

Smoother than smooth jazz without the negatives of smooth jazz

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2011, 11:27:49 PM »
listening to Bitches Brew right now.

*you are now feeling jelly forcibly*

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #376 on: August 02, 2011, 01:03:53 AM »
 :D

I have not been listening to jazz at all lately, which is weird for me.

I do still have a couple bottles of Bitches Brew that need to be drunk...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #377 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:59 AM »
Everyone needs to hear this album!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: August 02, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »
Just listened to Dexter Gordon's One Flight Up. Man do I love his sound on tenor. Just so good.
prog sucks

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #379 on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:06 PM »
Everyone needs to hear this album!

Been a few months for me sitting down with this, but it's among my Holdsworth faves.....

Same with Bitches Brew I guess (well, it's probably been over a month since I've heard it so I guess it hasn't been THAT neglected).

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #380 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:46 AM »
It's been ages since I last heard Bitches Brew. No idea why. I love it.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: August 03, 2011, 04:12:40 AM »
I'm-ah hear it again once my vinyl rip download of it is done. Original mix.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
Yea the Holdsworth album is FIRE!!!

Anyone here into Hiromi? Her albums are sooo good, and her new one "Voice", which I previewed yesterday, is like jazz with prog rock sensibilities. I thought it was going to be trio-jazz (usually post-bop or something) but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: August 06, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »
You guys must hear Thelonius "edit: Thelonious" Monk. Monk's Dream and Straight, No Chaser. get em now! well that's all i have of monk, those and thelonius monk with john coltrane. all jazztastic albums.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:05:57 AM by SPNKr »

Offline jsem

« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »
Reporting in to say that Stanley Turrentine is one of my recent discoveries, and what took me so long... amazing Tenor saxophonist.

And, finally E.S.T's full discography popped up on Spotify.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to learn the entire Time Out album, note for note. I'll start with the melodies, then maybe work my way through the solos - that is if I feel it's necessary.