Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 114141 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Tim Lincecum Lays the Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #560 on: February 26, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
You never heard the story of him throwing a chair into the TV when they were going over the previous game and he thought he was being singled out?! :lol

Oh man I could go on!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #561 on: February 26, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
You never heard the story of him throwing a chair into the TV when they were going over the previous game and he thought he was being singled out?! :lol

Oh man I could go on!

Certainly, but is that really comparable to missing the Kings game?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: February 26, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »
Yes, as the Captain and a player you have an obligation while traveling to the team.  Now we all know he wasn't playing but he needs to ask to not travel with the team to stay over.  You have to ask your boss.  Not just decide to do it yourself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
I just don't understand how that's comparable to throwing a remote at a TV screen.  One is an act of violent rage, the other an act of questionable work place ethics.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
 :facepalm:

You asked what kingshmegland was talking about when he said outbursts, and he merely gave you an example of another.  That doesn't mean every outburst is created equal.  Sheesh, is Rondo your brother or something? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »
Listen, I love rondo on the court but he has been trouble from the beginning here.  He was in a perfect position to grow with a great coach, and great vet. leaders and he still caused so much problem to everyone.  He is a professional, and now that captain and he needs to act accordingly.  If it's not lashing out, he's causing issues between players, being selfish, and now ,when he is who the team looks to, leaves without asking permission.

It all goes toward why he is his own worst enemy.  If he wasn't so talented, he'd be on the streets right now.  Hell, being on the trading block and having interest even though of his past tells you what kind of player he is.  Imagine if he could get the other side right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #566 on: February 26, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
:facepalm:

You asked what kingshmegland was talking about when he said outbursts, and he merely gave you an example of another.  That doesn't mean every outburst is created equal.  Sheesh, is Rondo your brother or something? :lol

No, but I think most of the anti-Rondo narrative is unfair.

Listen, I love rondo on the court but he has been trouble from the beginning here.  He was in a perfect position to grow with a great coach, and great vet. leaders and he still caused so much problem to everyone.  He is a professional, and now that captain and he needs to act accordingly.  If it's not lashing out, he's causing issues between players, being selfish, and now ,when he is who the team looks to, leaves without asking permission.

It all goes toward why he is his own worst enemy.  If he wasn't so talented, he'd be on the streets right now.  Hell, being on the trading block and having interest even though of his past tells you what kind of player he is.  Imagine if he could get the other side right.

Two very important things (was reading more about this):

- Rondo did tell the team he was leaving.  He didn't just head off without saying anything.

- If KG did this, no one would dare question it.

I'm not saying Rondo and KG are the same people in the same situation, but the lack of consistency to me has less to do with that than simply what people think of Rondo in the first place.

You mention Rondo being his own worst enemy, but he's played with vets that never totally respected him, a coach who never totally bought into him, and a GM who's never totally bought into him.  You might say that people buy into you when you deserve it, but look at Rondo and Stevens.  Stevens bought into Rondo unconditionally from the beginning, and Rondo's responded with excellent basketball (14-6-10 47%FG in February, even though he's playing in a knee brace).

I'm not saying Rondo should get special treatment, but he's been the Celtics' best player since 2010 and worth a max contract.  Pierce and KG never wanted to admit Rondo was better than them.  And Ainge's game for years has always been to make sure he never talks up Rondo too much, or else he'd never be able to talk Rondo's agent out of a max contract.

Not trying to paint Rondo as a martyr.  He creates enough problems for himself.  But the 'Rondo is a headcase' media narrative is a bunch of air.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #567 on: February 26, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
Important enough to double post - Apparently under Doc, there was no procedure.  If you wanted to leave the team, you just did.

It's hard for there not to be a misunderstanding given that.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #568 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »
So basically, in nearly every instance where there is a problem, even though Rondo is the one constant, it is almost always someone else's fault and/or not his.  How convenient. 

I hate to break it to you, but when one guy is the one constant in all of these problems, everyone else is not the problem; that one guy is.  And that one guy is Rondo.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2014, 01:48:32 PM »
That argument is problematic here.  Rondo's not choosing his circumstances.

Look at Dwight.  Rondo couldn't be as big of a headcase if he tried.  When Dwight got to choose his team, he went to Houston and started playing better and having better relationships with the team.  In retrospect, the dysfunction in Orlando and LA was underrated.  You can blame Dwight for being... Dwight, but you can't discount the situation.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #570 on: February 26, 2014, 02:00:27 PM »
That might be, but Dwight has only been in Houston for a little over half a year.  Give it time. :lol :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
Definitely.  Dwight has a lot of career rehabbing to do.
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
Here in Boston he's saying he did and the ownership said he didn't.  Like Kev said, there is just so many instances with him that it is his fault not the other way around.  Secondly when a new coaching staff comes in, we all know damn well they lay down the new rules and guidelines so we can't use the past coaching staff as an excuse.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #573 on: February 28, 2014, 06:16:32 AM »
That might be, but Dwight has only been in Houston for a little over half a year.  Give it time. :lol :lol

So funny, so true.  :lol  :lol  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #574 on: March 01, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
Ainge did the right thing and tried to diffuse the Rondo story.

- No team discipline
 - Ainge is "satisfied" with Rondo's explanation

At this point, some people will keep bitching about the story.  But when the player, coach, and GM are all saying it's time to move on, the media starts to look ridiculous.

Thank god.
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #575 on: March 01, 2014, 12:04:19 PM »
Haven't been following basketball closely lately. Why are the Lakers blowing so hard?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
D'Antoni
Injuries
West is a beast.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2014, 12:36:50 PM »
Adam Silver just said:  "I have no reason to believe the use of PEDs are widespread in the NBA"

When a major PED scandal hits (there's no if here), he's going to be really embarrassed.
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
Yeah, the West seems stacked with good teams. Rockets, Clippers, Thunder, Warriors, etc.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2014, 12:41:03 PM »
The West is so incredibly competitive it's ridiculous! The Grizzlies, the West's 9th best record would be the East's third seed if the playoffs started today!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
Ainge did the right thing and tried to diffuse the Rondo story.

- No team discipline
 - Ainge is "satisfied" with Rondo's explanation

At this point, some people will keep bitching about the story.  But when the player, coach, and GM are all saying it's time to move on, the media starts to look ridiculous.

Thank god.

ReaP.  That's Danny in front of the Cameras.  Here in Boston the writers that follow the team say they are hearing something totally different from Ainge which means he's saying the the right things to trade him.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »
ReaP.  That's Danny in front of the Cameras.  Here in Boston the writers that follow the team say they are hearing something totally different from Ainge which means he's saying the the right things to trade him.

Do you have links?  I need to know what they're saying specifically.
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2014, 07:59:36 PM »
Lot of them are on sports talk radio for interviews. I'll try to dig some up tomorrow.

BTW, I'm not trying to run him out of town, but there are some damning things against him over the years.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »
I say this as a non-Bostonite, but my impression of the talk radio people is that they try to stir things up on purpose.  The one article I saw questioning Ainge's words on the internet came from CNSSE summarizing the words of two talk radio people.  They were shocked Ainge would do it, and speculated it might be a play to keep his trade value up.  I'm not criticizing them for being biased, but it's hard to believe their speculation.
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: March 01, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
You have to think that is a true statement even though every GM knows Rondo already.  Sports is like business, paint a picture the other person interested will like.

It will quiet own soon enough until the summer when Rondo is on his last year of his contract.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #585 on: March 01, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »
I sorta know what you mean.  I think when Ainge said him and Rondo needed to talk about it, he was trying to put Rondo's feet to the fire a bit.  But I think he saw how the story made Rondo look bad and realized he had to kill it.  The thing is, I don't think it's totally fake.  If the team fined Rondo, the info would leak.  It would be impossible for it not to.  If Ainge was secretly fuming, it would leak.  I'm not saying Ainge necessarily had a genuine change of heart, but I think he genuinely wants this story to go away and is willing to let Rondo's behavior go if necessary.

Also, Ainge stated publicly that he wants the team to contend for titles again in the 2015-2016 season.  He needs Rondo to do that.  If they trade for another superstar, that player isn't resigning without Rondo.  Free agents aren't coming to Boston without someone else like Rondo to play with. 

Ainge wants to have it both ways.  He wants to keep Rondo's trade value high and his free agency value down, but it can't work because those things are the same.  The more teams are willing to give up in a trade, the more likely he'll be worth the max.  The less teams are willing to give up, the worse his market value is.  But if Rondo suspects Ainge is purposefully trying to push his value down, he won't stick with a franchise that's trying to compromise him.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:33:06 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: March 02, 2014, 04:21:23 AM »
All so very true ReaP.  All teams want to handle these things in house for all the reasons we talked about. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #587 on: March 02, 2014, 06:58:29 AM »
Heard someone on the radio say only the Pacers this year could stop the Heat from winning it all again. Not even anyone from the West.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: March 02, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
The west is so much stronger so I'm not sure about that James and is seems the Pacers play well against the Heat.  3-peats are so damn hard.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #589 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
Heat are being overrated this year.  They could still win this year, don't get me wrong.  LeBron's potential if sufficiently motivated is limitless.  But, the Pacers this year have a better team.  OKC looks dangerous.  San Antonio can never be counted out.  As for the Clippers, what Doc's doing over there is amazing.  I think people need to take them more seriously.
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #590 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »
I'm interested to see how Miami starts closing out the regular season. They may be battling for that first seed until the end. Or will they rest the big 3 and some other starters at the end, 1st seed be damned?

It's obvious Indiana or Miami is in the Finals. Pacers are fucking scary. West overall could kill them as well. Spurs almost did it last year.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #591 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »

Allen Iverson, breaking ankles even if he's not physically on the court,

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #592 on: March 02, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
 :lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #593 on: March 02, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
If Dwayne Wade can stay healthy for the playoffs, the Heat will likely 3-peat, plain and simple (assuming the other key players remain healthy too, of course).  Their best is still better than anybody else's best.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
The Pistons are considering hiring Isiah Thomas as their GM... Thomas along with Joe Dumars, this should end well.