Author Topic: Would DT 6.0 survive a flop?  (Read 13409 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Would DT 6.0 survive a flop?
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
Was thinking about that yesterday. I was thinking back and got reminded how other bands, for example Extreme, had member fluctuations after a long period of steadiness, right before they completely disbanded. In the case of Extreme, the album with the new member was a flop, and so the fragile new construct didn't survive.

What's your thought? Say DT 11 is really not that good, for whatever reason. Do you think DT would survive it?

rumborak
P.S.: And if you want to be really creeped out: Extreme's replacement drummer was ........ Mike Mangini :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Would DT 6.0 survive a flop?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »
I think so.  It probably really comes down to the tour and whether there are enough DT fans who will see them without Mike.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
I'm sure they will be fine.  Their attitude at the moment seems very positive and give me the sense they will do just fine.  Album wise, it can't be any worse than SC, surely.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 5

• Serial thread killer
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
I think these guys are too determined for that. And they had their share of crises too, and they survived.

Offline EternalDancer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
I *liked* the Extreme album with the lineup change...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
P.S.: And if you want to be really creeped out: Extreme's replacement drummer was ........ Mike Mangini :lol

Now, that's something that lends in quite nicely for a conspiracy theory  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »
:lol

It's an interesting question though, hard to say. On the whole I think they all really love what they do and so would probably soldier on anyway, at least for another couple of albums.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
The end of Extreme was more down to changing their style, jumping onto the Grunge bandwagon which was killing the melodic rock scene they were a part of.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
With the kind of fan base they have I don't know if a flop is even possible.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »
What goon said. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:30:11 PM »
With the kind of fan base they have I don't know if a flop is even possible.

Actually, this. No matter how the release will turn out musically, I'm sure that part of it will always accept and appreciate it (although the size and "target audience" may vary).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
I think most people here and other places will accept anything they do, if they change the structure of their metal songs, mainly the trade-off solos.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 03:48:44 PM »
If they could survive FII, they can survive another flop.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
Absolutely, they would survive it.  Hell, look at the number of internet fans who have been disappointed by some of their material over the past decade or so, and yet here we are all still big fans, still waiting for the next album, etc.  That is a huge credit to the band as a whole, as there is always that hope that they will knock one out of the park again.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
@ Hef: Well yeah, but they followed it with an album considered by many at the time to be a huge hit.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
Survive?  Yes.  They have enough dedicated fans and like what they're doing enough to continue.

But it would be a tough if not impossible road to coming back to where they are now.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »
@ Hef: Well yeah, but they followed it with an album considered by many at the time to be a huge hit.
Yes, which is what the album following the next would have to be, as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »

I feel like they're already in that situation.  Imagine what would have happened if SFaM flopped?  That's kinda how I feel about what would happen if this one flopped.
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

I feel like they're already in that situation.  Imagine what would have happened if SFaM flopped?  That's kinda how I feel about what would happen if this one flopped.
That doesn't make any sense.  BC&SL wasn't a flop.  FII was.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:02:53 PM »
Dude, the same 500,000 of us prog nerds who love them will stick with them. 

They arent "mainstream" enough to have a backlash.  DT is niche market, and as long as they dont release a real stinker (which I dont think any band with JP in it could do) they should be fine.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »

But then Portnoy left, creating a similar question of whether DT can/should continue.
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »

But then Portnoy left, creating a similar question of whether DT can/should continue.

I don't think that was ever a legitimate question for most fans.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »
It seems like it actually is, beyond us weirdos here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
Was thinking about that yesterday. I was thinking back and got reminded how other bands, for example Extreme, had member fluctuations after a long period of steadiness, right before they completely disbanded. In the case of Extreme, the album with the new member was a flop, and so the fragile new construct didn't survive.

What's your thought? Say DT 11 is really not that good, for whatever reason. Do you think DT would survive it?

rumborak
Rumbo, You do know that the original Drummer from Extreme, Paul Geary, played on all songs but 3 on Waiting For The Punchline.  Also, with Extreme, it was a very long layoff between WFTP and Saudies. So I don't think this is a good example.  Mangini only played on 3 songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 12:39:58 AM »
The end of Extreme was more down to changing their style, jumping onto the Grunge bandwagon which was killing the melodic rock scene they were a part of.
[/quote
Nuno suddenly forgot how to play and recorded his solo album an liked it so much he quit the band.  Months later Gary was in Van Halen.    They could have kept going if Nuno had wanted to.   Having said that their last album was crap.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »
I'm pretty certain DT11 is going to be bigger than ever. Their popularity has been accumulating over the years, and now with a new drummer and all things Portnoy related, including all the A7X fans who discovered DT, they will top their sales with BC&SL. In terns of being a band, i'm sure they will be fine. They still have 4 key members of the band, some of whom are stepping up to fill the void of Portnoy, and a drummer who will spice things up a bit (hopefully). If for whatever reason DT11 is not great musically, I'm sure they will continue. If not in terms of sales, I think there is a possibility that they will go their separate ways, doing solo projects and maybe one day a reunion (with Portnoy).

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 01:36:20 AM »
Sorry, but comparing DT to Extreme is ludicrous.  First of all, no offense to Extreme, but none of those guys are even in the same ballpark as DT in terms of being true artists.  I really like Extreme, but it's true.  Nuno is a great player, but he's more about being successful and rich than making artistic statements.  Petrucci, on the other hand, is more interested in creating works of substance (for the most part) rather than selling albums.  Just that difference between JP and Nuno invalidates the comparison.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 03:44:39 AM »
If the new album it's a flop, DT will go astray. But I don't really thing that'll happen. It is all in their hands right now.

Offline Funkafonik

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:41 AM »
First of all, no offense to Extreme, but none of those guys are even in the same ballpark as DT in terms of being true artists.  I really like Extreme, but it's true.  Nuno is a great player, but he's more about being successful and rich than making artistic statements.

Sorry but you've just shown you really have no clue what you're talking about.... most ignorant comment about Extreme and Nuno I've ever read. Next.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 08:20:29 AM »
Rumbo, You do know that the original Drummer from Extreme, Paul Geary, played on all songs but 3 on Waiting For The Punchline.  Also, with Extreme, it was a very long layoff between WFTP and Saudies. So I don't think this is a good example.  Mangini only played on 3 songs.

Geary might have played most songs on WFTP, but even at the release of the album Mangini was the new drummer of Extreme, and the following tour was with him. So, at least to me, Mangini was the drummer of WFTP-era Extreme. Shortly after which they imploded.

Sorry, but comparing DT to Extreme is ludicrous.  First of all, no offense to Extreme, but none of those guys are even in the same ballpark as DT in terms of being true artists.  I really like Extreme, but it's true.  Nuno is a great player, but he's more about being successful and rich than making artistic statements.  Petrucci, on the other hand, is more interested in creating works of substance (for the most part) rather than selling albums.  Just that difference between JP and Nuno invalidates the comparison. 

This is such a ludicrous statement, it's unfathomable. If you consider Everything Under the Sun anything but an artistic statement, you lost all credibility right there.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 08:32:31 AM »
BTW Rumbo, I saw them on the WFTP tour at the Orphium.  Great energy to that show.  I would say the demise of Extreme was that the average fan thought More Than Words was what Exteme was about.  We all knew better.  When they came out with III Sides, the music nuts like us loved that CD but the ballad fans jumped off the ship.  It was a blessing and a curse for them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:46:16 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
Sorry, but comparing DT to Extreme is ludicrous.  First of all, no offense to Extreme, but none of those guys are even in the same ballpark as DT in terms of being true artists.  I really like Extreme, but it's true.  Nuno is a great player, but he's more about being successful and rich than making artistic statements.  Petrucci, on the other hand, is more interested in creating works of substance (for the most part) rather than selling albums.  Just that difference between JP and Nuno invalidates the comparison. 

This is such a ludicrous statement, it's unfathomable. If you consider Everything Under the Sun anything but an artistic statement, you lost all credibility right there.

Yeah, I'm far from being an Extreme fan but I agree that that statement is pretty ridiculous
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »
First of all, no offense to Extreme, but none of those guys are even in the same ballpark as DT in terms of being true artists.  I really like Extreme, but it's true.  Nuno is a great player, but he's more about being successful and rich than making artistic statements.

Sorry but you've just shown you really have no clue what you're talking about.... most ignorant comment about Extreme and Nuno I've ever read. Next.

Yeh, where are you getting that information from SnakeEyes?

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 09:11:27 AM »

Geary might have played most songs on WFTP, but even at the release of the album Mangini was the new drummer of Extreme, and the following tour was with him. So, at least to me, Mangini was the drummer of WFTP-era Extreme. Shortly after which they imploded.

Sorry, but comparing DT to Extreme is ludicrous.  First of all, no offense to Extreme, but none of those guys are even in the same ballpark as DT in terms of being true artists.  I really like Extreme, but it's true.  Nuno is a great player, but he's more about being successful and rich than making artistic statements.  Petrucci, on the other hand, is more interested in creating works of substance (for the most part) rather than selling albums.  Just that difference between JP and Nuno invalidates the comparison.  

rumborak

Yes but what has Nuno done since?  Mostly just unlistenable garbage.   He was still going strong in waiting for the punchline but there last album is horribly bad.

BTW Rumbo, I saw them on the WFTP tour at the Orphium.  Great energy to that show.  I would say the demise of Extreme was that the average fan thought More Than Words was what Exteme was about.  We all knew better.  When they came out with III Sides, the music nuts like us loved that CD but the ballad fans jumped off the ship.  It was a blessing and a curse for them.
Nuno was the cause of Extreme's downfall.   He made his album Shizophic (posing as a woman on the cover)  Then he decided he enjoyed having 100% control over his songs and he quit extreme.   After that he totally changed his way of playing and focused on singing and song structure over concentrating on playing his guitar which is a shame.   I would compare it to J.P leaving Dream Theater and joining a Kurt Cobain cover band.  Nuno even admits he does not practice all that much anymore.   Being in Rihana's band does nothing for his credability as an artist.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:18:45 AM by lord-ruler »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 09:19:23 AM »

FII was released after Kevin Moore left. ACoS softened the blow, sure, but it still had the eyes of the world on it.

I don't think an album released today could flop harder than FII did back then, given how much control they have over their own careers nowadays, and how confident and natural they've become at doing what they do. I think it's very unlikely, at this stage.