Author Topic: after thought: CDs vs online music  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
after thought: CDs vs online music
« on: August 02, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
I'm going to start up by revealing I grew up in the 80s and 90's, and witnessed the "end" of cassette tapes and vinyls and the rise of the CDs, and today dominant technology: online sharing (mp3).

Music is a big part of my life, it has helped me through rough times which I think most of you also have faced.
Here's a strange fact to me, the more I listen to new music and new artists the more I appreciate the songs of the past even most pop.
Radio music was most of the times thought as crap back in the past century but that was surely because on different musical tastes. Being a metal dude listening to Toto or Tears for Fears was irrelevant but I could acknowledge them as music.
Today, I think it really is crap because artists are aware that they can't experiment without losing fans and therefore radio time. New artists that come with a bang come far and spaced between. Adele and Radio Gaga were pushed to the top by record execs because people weren't listening through radio or TV. Today, dance music is more on radio because that's what people hear in discos not concerts.

I remember using a tape recorder to copy vinyls to save some money, but I knew it was better to have the real deal (Having the Judas Priest's Painkiller artwork was like a Picasso's painting to me). Later on, CDs were much more affordable, easier to copy and the album artwork were less impressive. However, the music was still good but my interest for having the original CD started to fade out and began to buy stuff like t-shirts. CDs are still around but I use them now like a cheep gift more than anything.

What I still don't get is with the internet and mp3 piracy rapidly improving speeds in the 90's record companies who are controlled by technology companies (looking at you Sony) and they didn't even bothered to try to find another physical means to protect music.
It should be easy to speak with all the record companies and try to find another type of disc/usb/hd-dvd or codec that can't be copied. Instead they preferred to give out money to companies like iTunes or Spotify, a chance to make money and at the same time to let people listen on youtube to practically everything for free and for advertisers to profit.

What we are experiencing as a public, detaches us from the physical object that music should be. It shouldn't be for everyone that doesn't pay for it. Artists should make more money of course but that should be a war between them and record labels who did marketing for them.

Compact Discs have 30 years old, they had their prime, shouldn't this be the time to find a replacement that enhances music instead of clipping it and the artists?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: after thought: CDs vs online music
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:27:25 AM »
I haven't purchased a CD in years. I bought 500+ songs on itunes in 2012 and am over 200 in 2013. I don't really care at all about album art or booklets. My car is so much cleaner now that I don't have CDs anymore. The sad reality is that there is no physical method to protecting music. Any security measures are bypassed within days (if not hours). Between 2006 and 2009, I illegally downloaded over 22,000 songs just because I could. I no longer have them fyi. I absolutely hate CDs and love the fact that I can buy digitally.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »
I mainly by cds and records, the only time I ever really buy digital files is when the cd or record is ridiculously expensive, and even then I usually just end up saving up for the record. I do appreciate that digital retailers are trying to make digital files more worthy of your buck, with finally including a digital copy of the booklet, but nothing beats holding a record in hand, putting it in, and dropping the needle.
Saying that though, sites like Bandcamp make me much more okay with buying digital files, since they let you download in any format the band makes available, and bands set their own prices, along with Bandcamp lowering their % of the profits they take for life if you reach a certain amount of sales within a year.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
I love my CD collection. I still buy CDs and always will until they are no longer available. I've only bought a handful of songs off itunes and bandcamp. I like having a physical backup that I can go to. Unfortunately my collection has shrunken due to lack of funds and having to make sacrifices in order to get something new that I really like, but that just makes my collection more sentimental. Having an ipod or smartphone makes travel easier and more convenient, but they'll never replace my CDs.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
I haven't purchased a CD in years. I bought 500+ songs on itunes in 2012 and am over 200 in 2013. I don't really care at all about album art or booklets. My car is so much cleaner now that I don't have CDs anymore. The sad reality is that there is no physical method to protecting music. Any security measures are bypassed within days (if not hours). Between 2006 and 2009, I illegally downloaded over 22,000 songs just because I could. I no longer have them fyi. I absolutely hate CDs and love the fact that I can buy digitally.
By buying mp3's there's no actual retail value after your purchase.. music has become more like food. You can eat it but you can't sell shit.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
Even if a new physical medium were introduced, as said any protection it offers is short-lived. It takes longer and costs much more to develop something like that than it does for a small group of people to bypass any protection there is. After that, it's completely open for everyone. It's an uphill, quickly lost battle. Also consider that a physical medium needs to last long term because people will only repurchase their music and hardware so many times (and not often) and the effort that goes into making a new disc or whatever is just a waste.

On top of that, we have the convenience of single devices that can house multiple albums, MP3 players and mobile phones. I don't think the industry could go backwards and make a physical medium succeed - people don't want to carry around discs and buy new players for their home, and their car, and for their pocket. It's never going to have the same level of convenience that most of the world is now accustomed to now. I don't think MP3 players or phones that play music would ever be thrown to the side for some other thing that plays discs. It's completely backwards. It would be next to impossible to market a replacement for the CD unless maybe for something that people already know and use - such as DVD-audio discs or blu-ray audio discs. Even then, people wouldn't adopt it at any significant level, they wouldn't go and buy in-car DVD-A players - because the unit they already have has USB or an aux-in they can connect their MP3 player or phone to.

The future of the industry is going to be the abolishment of physical digital mediums altogether. Eventually the only thing you'll be able to buy is vinyl, because there will always be a niche for that.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
I love CDs, and if I could afford it I'd buy all my music on CD. I probably buy half of my music on CD and the other half on digital (I also buy a bunch of used vinyl, but it's usually stuff I already have on other formats). For digital, I prefer to buy from Bandcamp so the artists get more money but a lot of my digital buying is from Amazon MP3 as well. I really hope there's still a demand for a physical medium years from now, as I can't imagine not having the linear notes and artwork.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »
I love CDs, and if I could afford it I'd buy all my music on CD. I probably buy half of my music on CD and the other half on digital (I also buy a bunch of used vinyl, but it's usually stuff I already have on other formats). For digital, I prefer to buy from Bandcamp so the artists get more money but a lot of my digital buying is from Amazon MP3 as well. I really hope there's still a demand for a physical medium years from now, as I can't imagine not having the linear notes and artwork.

I'm certainly no expert on this matter, but it seems to me if vinyl has continued to persist, I can't see CDs going by the wayside anytime soon.

At least, I hope not. Then I'd have buy all my albums again in a different format. :P

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
I won't ever stop buying CDs. The fact I can turn them into MP3s encoded to MY PREFERENCE is the the majority of it, along with liking the art/liner notes.

I'd maybe swing the other way if FLACs were downloadable in most cases (I can then cross convert them to MP3 without worrying about lossy to lossy transitions)... but they'd still have to be about 50% of the price the physical media might have been.

CD's give me something to pass on to my kid.  MP3s will never do that.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Digital music is nowhere near as fulfilling as Vinyl or CD.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 05:11:14 AM »
I'm with Zantera on this. Record shops allow for that spontinaety of seeing something that has a pretty art or you've heard of in passing, and just buying it because it's there and why the hell not? If it's good, then it's money well spent, if not, then at least you know not to go for more. That whole ethos has caused a large part of my music collection to be owned by me, not least all the Dream Theater I have (as I largely had picked it up on a whim). That, and ordering CDs online leads to me being all excited about the nebulous future moment when it actually arrives and I get to look through it. I love that wait, it makes me happy, if also mildly stressed out at times if it's taking a long time.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Vinyls > all

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »
I still buy CDs and immediately rip them to FLAC. I've bought one record digitally lately, which was available in the FLAC format. I will absolutely not buy shitty mp3s. I'm surprised that lossy formats are still available, they lost their usefulness a long time ago. Also, the selection of music available on CDs is still ridiculously much better than what is available in lossy formats online.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
I probably bought around 20 CDs this year. So I'm still very much collecting them. I do rip them to my computer, for ease of access of course. I only buy digital albums if it's an indie band, and their CDs are difficult to obtain, or in a rare case, where I don't much care about having the physical copy, probably because it's not an artist I feel like collecting. But that's very rare.

I won't ever stop buying CDs.

Yeah... Let's just hope they never stop selling them. :/

EDIT: You know, I found out there's a bit of a psychological explanation of why we prefer CDs. Basically the idea is that when a person touches an object, mentally, that object increases in value for them. There's a number of reasons, but the bottom line is that when you touch the CD, the booklet, all that, your personal value for that particular object increases. That's something you could never have with MP3s.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:43:20 AM by TheGreatPretender »
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 10:53:24 AM »
My CD collection is in the thousands.  I love the artwork and reading the thank yous.  I love reading who produced it and where they recorded it.  Later when I read an interview by a band, sometimes I can say, "Hey, didn't that guy produce...." or even something as simple as them saying the inspiration was their wife or daughter and saying, "oh that must be so and so whom they always thank first."

Most of the time I can get the actual album for cheaper than the mp3 download.  I purchase most of my stuff online and get a lot of it secondhand. 

Of course, I'm lucky that I have the space to put all that stuff. 

And also, of course, I immediately rip everything and put it on my ipod so I have almost my whole collection with me in digital forms at all times.  Its the best of both worlds. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
I probably bought around 20 CDs this year. So I'm still very much collecting them. I do rip them to my computer, for ease of access of course. I only buy digital albums if it's an indie band, and their CDs are difficult to obtain, or in a rare case, where I don't much care about having the physical copy, probably because it's not an artist I feel like collecting. But that's very rare.

I won't ever stop buying CDs.

Yeah... Let's just hope they never stop selling them. :/

Even if they stop there are MILLIONS of cds out there to buy.. you can always continue to backfill your catalog.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
My CD collection is in the thousands.  I love the artwork and reading the thank yous.  I love reading who produced it and where they recorded it.  Later when I read an interview by a band, sometimes I can say, "Hey, didn't that guy produce...." or even something as simple as them saying the inspiration was their wife or daughter and saying, "oh that must be so and so whom they always thank first."

Don't forget that new CD booklet smell.  :azn:

Although if you're buying used, then I suppose that won't always be there.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »

THIS

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »
I buy mostly CDs and vinyl. I hate the idea of not having the hard copy of the music I just bought even if it's just gonna sit around. It's not just about the artwork or the booklet, it's just o have a physical copy of my music that I can put my hands on. I will only buy digital music if that's the only way it's available, which is the case with a lot of local bands, but as soon as there's a hard copy I will buy it. It just feels wrong only having some files on my computer.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »
The only reason I'd ever buy music online is if I'm unable to locate a physical copy, or it is much, much cheaper. Other than that, CD's are my preference.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
I buy mostly CDs and vinyl. I hate the idea of not having the hard copy of the music I just bought even if it's just gonna sit around. It's not just about the artwork or the booklet, it's just o have a physical copy of my music that I can put my hands on. I will only buy digital music if that's the only way it's available, which is the case with a lot of local bands, but as soon as there's a hard copy I will buy it. It just feels wrong only having some files on my computer.
^^^^

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »
I do think digital distribution is an excellent tool, for newer, independent bands that want to get their music out there, and start building a fanbase, without having to get a record deal or spend a ton of their own money on printing CDs, without knowing whether anyone will actually buy them. But for bands who do have record labels, and are making albums and touring, hard copy is a must for me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
Online music is great; if I happen to come across a new band/artist that I like, it's easy to check them out using Spotify, Youtube or whatever. But when I realise I love the band/artist, their albums immediately go on my to-buy-list. I don't like LPs very much, I prefer CDs. I really like to have the physical product instead of just a file on my computer. The artwork and booklet are also important. I don't really want LPs because 1) I don't have a good record player and 2) CDs don't have that popping sound and don't scratch that easily. Lastly, when a band/artist I already like is releasing a new album, nowadays I always will listen to the CD first and will not listen to a digital version (aside from early released singles) until I actually have the CD.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 04:50:28 AM »

I thought I was the only freak that did that. 

Although if you're buying used, then I suppose that won't always be there.

Sometimes it is...and sometimes you go, "Oh, the last person that owned this was a smoker." :tdwn

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »

Sometimes it is...and sometimes you go, "Oh, the last person that owned this was a smoker." :tdwn

I just sent some crap back to an ebay seller. Said everything was great.. smelled like a smokers house.  He was surprised I cared.

I lost money on the deal since I paid shipping back, but he refunded me my total purchase price plus the original shipping (to me) that I paid.

The jewel cases were stained yellow........
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:30:14 AM by Mindflux »

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »

Most of the used stuff I buy is at the used section at the record store, so I'll know exactly what it smells like. Or at least make sure it doesn't smell like nicotine.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
I wish more bands used sites like Bandcamp where you can digitally download music at lossless quality and get digital linear notes and artwork as well. And albums I've bought this way have never been more than $8. I just don't see the point in paying $14 on an album of mp3's.

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
I wish more bands used sites like Bandcamp where you can digitally download music at lossless quality and get digital linear notes and artwork as well. And albums I've bought this way have never been more than $8. I just don't see the point in paying $14 on an album of mp3's.

Which is why you should just buy CDs.  ;D

Digital art and liner notes are pretty cool, but they still don't replace the physical thing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
I really do like CD's, but sometimes, I'm impatient and want the music now. Also when I get a CD, I rip it, then it goes into a stack never to be seen again. I like he idea of own a physical copy of music enough to keep buying them.

Also even CD's have a bitrate cap. If there's a lossless download from the artist, I feel a bit more sure that I'm getting the purest form of the work rather than paying for a compressed version with missing data as if it's the full product. I know this can be dumb; I'm not really an audiophile. I'm not sure I can hear the difference between CD quality and something with a 2k bitrate. But just knowing that i'm settling for something of lower quality bothers me.

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
Also even CD's have a bitrate cap. If there's a lossless download from the artist, I feel a bit more sure that I'm getting the purest form of the work rather than paying for a compressed version with missing data as if it's the full product. I know this can be dumb; I'm not really an audiophile. I'm not sure I can hear the difference between CD quality and something with a 2k bitrate. But just knowing that i'm settling for something of lower quality bothers me.

There are only a small handful of albums where I'd care about something like this. If they released an "HD Audio" FLAC version of SFAM, for example, I'd be all over that. But even the DT albums that they HAVE released in that format, I don't want to spend another $20 just to purchase digital versions of.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
Comparing the bitrate of an uncompressed format (CD/WAV) and a compressed format (like FLAC) is redundant. A 16 bit 44.1khz FLAC is identical to the standard 1411kbps raw CD no matter what the bitrate of the FLAC file is. You've probably noticed that FLAC files will have differing bitrates anyway, even songs that are part of the same album. It's because each song is capable of being compressed losslessly more or less, based on the content of the song, its data. That's what the bitrate is indicative of; the amount of data required to represent this data without loss of quality.

As for a purer version of an artists' work, you'd have to be getting files that have a bit depth and sample rate higher than CD quality. So 24bit/96khz FLAC files are much higher quality and closer (or in some cases, identical) to studio-recorded quality, than CD-quality 16bit/44.1khz.

For what it's worth, comparing bitrates with lossy files (like MP3) is directly indicative of sound quality. More compression = more loss of data = lower sound quality.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 11:18:40 PM »
Not a fan of CDs in the slightest. About 6-7 years ago I had a huge 500 CD binder jam packed with music that I hooped into the garbage can. The novelty of having a physical disc, booklet, liner notes wears off as soon as I go through it all and it's just needless clutter shortly after. Hell, I threw my ADTOE box set in the trash once I found out there was no golden ticket in it. I still have the vinyl somewhere though.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
CD's all the way for me, I want to see something physical for my money.
Given that in rip-off Australia iTunes charge $16.99 for a full album, the CD is only a couple bucks more.
I've even seen CD's more expensive than than iTunes, which is absolutely ridiculous.
I'm even thinking about spending a decent amount on a new record player and getting back to the basics and that wonderful sound of vinyl.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 12:32:45 AM »
Hell, I threw my ADTOE box set in the trash

:|
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:12 AM »
Hell, I threw my ADTOE box set in the trash

:|

Not to worry, the music is safe and sound deep within the cockaloins of my heart.