Author Topic: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)  (Read 11362 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Re: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2024, 11:47:29 AM »
Damn....that was even worse the 2nd listen :facepalm: those vocals are horrendous and the music goes NOWHERE! :tdwn

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2024, 08:35:30 AM »
Just finished up the album, and I've gotta say, my initial thoughts on that first single were way off. The album as a whole really impressed me. Those previously released tracks? They fit seamlessly into the album's vibe, and honestly, they shine even more in this context.

Makes me a bit sad that Sons of Apollo didn't sound like this. Seriously, it would've been a game-changer.

And let me tell you, "The Decision" is an absolute beast of a track, while "Find My Way Back" is just a hypnotic anthem that I know I'll be belting out for days to come.

Hypernova 158 is their take at the Dance of Eternity

:metal
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 08:45:09 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2024, 08:53:40 AM »
I respect your judgement and will defer to the point I can hear the album, but based on the two singles, there's nothing "game changing" about what I heard.  Those vocals are the very definition of "generic" to me.   Some decent playing in the background, but as songs... I was not impressed.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2024, 08:56:22 AM »
Those vocals ruin it for me. Yuck.

And yeah that quote from Overture 1928 was so blatant.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2024, 11:13:00 AM »
Just finished up the album, and I've gotta say, my initial thoughts on that first single were way off. The album as a whole really impressed me. Those previously released tracks? They fit seamlessly into the album's vibe, and honestly, they shine even more in this context.

Makes me a bit sad that Sons of Apollo didn't sound like this. Seriously, it would've been a game-changer.

And let me tell you, "The Decision" is an absolute beast of a track, while "Find My Way Back" is just a hypnotic anthem that I know I'll be belting out for days to come.

:metal :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2024, 11:47:37 AM »
They had socks at the merch stand of Sons of Apollo (socks of Apollo - get it?). I think this band should release a rum and call it Rum Gods Destroy.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2024, 03:54:12 AM »
I am really not hearing the Overture 1928 thing. I've listened to both back several times and I'm totally missing it. Is it literally just 2 notes in the guitar solo we're hearing? Cos that could be anything.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2024, 05:04:52 AM »
last few notes of the guitarsolo

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2024, 06:22:19 AM »
I am really not hearing the Overture 1928 thing. I've listened to both back several times and I'm totally missing it. Is it literally just 2 notes in the guitar solo we're hearing? Cos that could be anything.

3:08 in Over Again

And, funny enough, 3:08 in Overture 1928

Offline nick_z

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2024, 06:51:00 AM »

Is that right?  :lol

It's definitely there, don't know if intentional, but there's a sequence of notes in the guitar solo that's exactly the same.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2024, 07:34:56 AM »
Aaaaah okay, that's very clear. Cheers guys.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2024, 07:38:43 AM »

That just has to be intentional then?  :lol

I respect your judgement and will defer to the point I can hear the album, but based on the two singles, there's nothing "game changing" about what I heard.  Those vocals are the very definition of "generic" to me.   Some decent playing in the background, but as songs... I was not impressed.

I may not be impressed either but people on social media seem to like it, so I can see that some people may enjoy this and I also give some benefit to the doubt that the singles aren't the best songs on any given album.... but the vocals just haven't clicked at all for me which makes me wanting to listen to the full album very unlikely to happen now.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2024, 02:48:45 PM »
The only solace I'm taking so far is that I didn't think much of TEMIC when the singles came out and that was my favorite album of last year... perhaps of the 20s so far! So we'll see. Love Sherinian's keyboard sounds and really hope he might've found a solid long-term project here.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2024, 02:55:15 PM »
I'm a HUGE fan of Derek's music but so far, it's 0-2 with WGD! Still looking forward to hearing the album though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2024, 02:55:21 PM »
I'll check out the album. Based off of these two released songs, I am interested in hearing how the others sound.

This is what I thought Sons of Apollo was going to sound like. I quite enjoy it and it's got me interested in hearing the rest of the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2024, 06:04:45 PM »
I have the album, but my routine has been so hectic that I haven't had time for a full listen yet. I will say these things about my experience with this album so far:

1) I agree with MinistroRaven that the two singles work WAY better in the context of the album than as isolated tracks;
2) Overall, I would describe their sound as a darker, grittier Sons of Apollo;
3) I love Dino, but on the tracks I heard so far, he's using A LOT of drive...not sure if he'll be able to sustain this on a 90 minute set.
4) Bruno Valverde adds a whole different dynamic to this band's sound.
5) I wouldn't call the instrumental track "a response to Dance of Eternity", but it sure is complex...I'd be more inclined to call it a modern-day Planet X track.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2024, 08:13:33 PM »
They had socks at the merch stand of Sons of Apollo (socks of Apollo - get it?). I think this band should release a rum and call it Rum Gods Destroy.
Nah - they should go the Kiss route and sell caskets: Tomb Gods Destroy
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2024, 01:56:48 AM »
at least when you look at the views their videos are generating, the consensus is that the 2nd single isn't as appealing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2024, 08:13:50 AM »
Nah - they should go the Kiss route and sell caskets: Tomb Gods Destroy

Maybe their own brand of extra large condoms, "womb gods destroy". Ok, I went too far now. Carry on...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2024, 06:57:35 AM »

That just has to be intentional then?  :lol

I may not be impressed either but people on social media seem to like it, so I can see that some people may enjoy this and I also give some benefit to the doubt that the singles aren't the best songs on any given album.... but the vocals just haven't clicked at all for me which makes me wanting to listen to the full album very unlikely to happen now.

Yeah, I've long ago resigned myself to the fact that - vocally, though it extends beyond that - I'm not exactly in step with the mainstream, but with certain exceptions, I just don't go for that generic, gravelly rock voice.   You hear Ozzy, you KNOW it's Ozzy and NO ONE sounds like him.  Love Ozzy.  You hear James, or Bruce Dickinson, and you KNOW it's James or Bruce and NO ONE sounds like them.   I can't abide those singers that sound like it could be Russell Allen, or Jeff Scott Soto or Dino whatever his name is... it's just...  I don't know, not appealing to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2024, 09:31:38 AM »
I'm not exactly in step with the mainstream
I'll take "Great Moments in Understatement" for $500, Alex.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2024, 08:12:37 AM »
I have the album, but my routine has been so hectic that I haven't had time for a full listen yet. I will say these things about my experience with this album so far:

1) I agree with MinistroRaven that the two singles work WAY better in the context of the album than as isolated tracks;
2) Overall, I would describe their sound as a darker, grittier Sons of Apollo;
3) I love Dino, but on the tracks I heard so far, he's using A LOT of drive...not sure if he'll be able to sustain this on a 90 minute set.
4) Bruno Valverde adds a whole different dynamic to this band's sound.
5) I wouldn't call the instrumental track "a response to Dance of Eternity", but it sure is complex...I'd be more inclined to call it a modern-day Planet X track.

Having heard the album a few times now, i agree 100% with Rordrigo. I really like the drumming, and i feel Dino's delivery at some songs is a bit exaggerated.

Overall, the description "darker, grittier Sons of Apollo" sounds about right. Nothing groundbreaking, but solid and enjoyable overall.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2024, 05:58:44 AM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Hey bud, we published your review today:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/whom-gods-destroy-insanium-album-review-by-gabriel-zarruck/

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2024, 09:14:54 AM »
Spoiler: I enjoyed it a lot :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2024, 11:25:11 AM »
I just don't go for that generic, gravelly rock voice.
I hear ya. The thing is, this is Dino doing his "tough guy" vocals, sounding like Coverdale. But there's been a couple of covers that he's done posted online (can't remember which songs) where he sings clean and he sounds really good. So if he took that approach rather than the tough guy bit, I'd be more interested in what he has to offer.

Hey bud, we published your review today:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/whom-gods-destroy-insanium-album-review-by-gabriel-zarruck/
Might wanna check that link. All I get is:
The page can’t be found.

It looks like nothing was found at this location.

As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2024, 11:31:14 AM »
weird, i've read it but it's gone now

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2024, 11:52:10 AM »
Link doesn't work for me either

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2024, 01:28:29 PM »
Take the 'c' out of garruck in the link and it'll work.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/whom-gods-destroy-insanium-album-review-by-gabriel-zarruk/
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2024, 02:33:34 PM »
Take the 'c' out of garruck in the link and it'll work.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/whom-gods-destroy-insanium-album-review-by-gabriel-zarruk/

No, I added the C back for now.

The original link must work

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2024, 11:32:03 PM »
Sure. But I posted a way for people to get to the review before you changed it again. I was being helpful :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2024, 01:34:48 AM »
Always make sure your site redirects when you change URLs. Wordpress usually does that automatically these days.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2024, 04:58:11 AM »
Always make sure your site redirects when you change URLs. Wordpress usually does that automatically these days.

Note taken, thanks

Derek posted a teaser of tomorrow new single:

https://x.com/DerekSherinian/status/1762427518500684008?s=20

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2024, 10:22:33 PM »
Now, THIS ONE I really like!

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2024, 12:07:32 AM »
I dunno. Just sounds super generic to me. Like Temic, Icefish and a whole host of others.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Kocak

« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2024, 01:37:12 AM »
I dunno. Just sounds super generic to me. Like Temic, Icefish and a whole host of others.

Just listened to the track. I agree. It feels like I have heard this song multiple times before.