Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 213087 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1540 on: October 26, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »

I think deactivating him for Sunday's game is going to be the extent of his punishment, unless he does something else dumb.

Which is so unlikely!   ::)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1541 on: October 26, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »

I think deactivating him for Sunday's game is going to be the extent of his punishment, unless he does something else dumb.

:lol True story.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1542 on: October 26, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
Hightower out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle.  Not good at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1543 on: October 26, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »

I give him 'til Thanksgiving.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1544 on: October 26, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »

I give him 'til Thanksgiving.

Generous.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1545 on: October 26, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »

No doubt, but I'd still put bets on the rule not the exception, and if we use history as our guide, the rule is that in meaningful games, Belichick teams beat Tomlin teams. Obviously, anyone can beat anyone else any given week, etc...etc... but in this instance, I'll believe it when I see it.

Understandable.  The Steelers have basically been the Patriots whipping boy since 2001 (with the exception of two games, I think).  Sometimes, one team just has another team's number.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1546 on: October 26, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
And that would be the Ravens for the Pats.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1547 on: October 26, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »
I was going to mention how the entire league has the Brown's number, but low hanging fruit isn't that snarky...

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1548 on: October 26, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
In other news, someone just asked Flacco if he knows what his name is, and his answer was "Batman".

That was a nasty shot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1549 on: October 26, 2017, 07:49:49 PM »
Yeah, he's in Henrietta right now. I liked how he raised his finger like he had something to say and just sort of stayed there.  :lol

In the end, it's pretty meaningless now. Unlike Romo, I don't see a comeback happening here. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: October 26, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »
^
Had that happened to Brady, the officials would have forfeited the game to the Pats on the spot.

Flacco was sliding, not diving.   A  :censored bush league play no matter what QB it happened to.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1551 on: October 26, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
It was the right call. It was a penalty and it wasn't flagrant. He was certainly trying to slide, hence the penalty, but he pushed it to the very limit trying to get the first down.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1552 on: October 26, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »
Now this, on the other hand, constitutes flagrant in my book.  :lol

E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1553 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:14 PM »
Suh?....

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1554 on: October 27, 2017, 12:11:47 AM »
How out of character.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1555 on: October 27, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
Now this, on the other hand, constitutes flagrant in my book.  :lol

How the hell has he not been banned from the league yet? Such a disgusting player.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1556 on: October 27, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: October 27, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »
I didn't watch last night but that happened?  WTF, get this guy out of the league.  As if the NFL didn't have enough going on to turn people off, that to me, that's really high on the list since we, the fans, are watching this happen.  Unlike lots of the off the field stuff we dont see, when you see someone getting choked on the field, that's really fucked up. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1558 on: October 27, 2017, 07:31:04 AM »

No doubt, but I'd still put bets on the rule not the exception, and if we use history as our guide, the rule is that in meaningful games, Belichick teams beat Tomlin teams. Obviously, anyone can beat anyone else any given week, etc...etc... but in this instance, I'll believe it when I see it.

Understandable.  The Steelers have basically been the Patriots whipping boy since 2001 (with the exception of two games, I think).  Sometimes, one team just has another team's number.

One thing that sets Belichick apart is that he can play any game.  Pats need to score 50 to win?  They will, 12 times out of 16, score 51.   They need to limit the other team to under 14 point to win?  They will, 11 times out of 16, hold the other team to 13.   They need to be a precise, unemotional machine to win?   You get the point.   

Tomlin is an emotional coach.   He needs that "us versus them", gang mentality to win, and it's a double-edged sword.  You get a couple quarters where your "emotion" doesn't translate into points on the board and it gets harder to maintain.   Belichick is a master at overcoming that. 

As for Suh, he needs to go.  I'm not sure why teams are willing to pay a guy like that.  Same with that guy from Cincinnati.  Bur-whatever.

Is that Flacco "Batman" story true?  If so, and while I feel for him and hope he's not seriously injured, that's a hell of a line.  :)

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #1559 on: October 27, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »

One thing that sets Belichick apart is that he can play any game.  Pats need to score 50 to win?  They will, 12 times out of 16, score 51.   They need to limit the other team to under 14 point to win?  They will, 11 times out of 16, hold the other team to 13.   They need to be a precise, unemotional machine to win?   You get the point.   

Tomlin is an emotional coach.   He needs that "us versus them", gang mentality to win, and it's a double-edged sword.  You get a couple quarters where your "emotion" doesn't translate into points on the board and it gets harder to maintain.   Belichick is a master at overcoming that. 

As for Suh, he needs to go.  I'm not sure why teams are willing to pay a guy like that.  Same with that guy from Cincinnati.  Bur-whatever.

Is that Flacco "Batman" story true?  If so, and while I feel for him and hope he's not seriously injured, that's a hell of a line.  :)

The "Batman" line if from a commercial.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1560 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »
I have soft spot for Suh since I'm a Nebraska fan and he's donated a ton of money to the program, but yeah he went over the line again. Mallet must have big pair of balls to get in his face like he did.

Also, I really like Tony Romo. His honesty and ability call spade a spade is really entertaining.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1561 on: October 27, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »

That is spot-on analysis.

Also, I really like Tony Romo. His honesty and ability call spade a spade is really entertaining.

Speaking of spot-on analysis, Romo has without question become my favorite NFL TV color guy. His insight is interesting, timely, and refreshing. Good for him, seriously.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1562 on: October 27, 2017, 08:51:29 AM »
Yeah, Nance and Romo are pretty good.  Enjoyable commentary and analysis.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Maybe it's because I despise Nance, but I haven't warmed to Romo yet.  I actually liked Phil Simms, so for me, so far, it's not a trade up. 

Offline DanLore

« Reply #1564 on: October 27, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »

Agreed on the emotional aspect Stads, but there is more to it.  The Steelers biggest issue in the past (especially with the Pats) is in-game adjustments on defense.  They have a game plan, and stick to it no matter what.  Brady picks them apart, and they continue to play zone against him with no pressure.  Next game against the Pats, same thing with the same result.  It has been painful to watch over the years.

This year, they are finally making adjustments defensively as shown this past weekend.  The Bengals moved on them in the first half, then the Steelers put the hammer down.  No points, 20 something yards and one first down in the second half.  Yes, it was the Bengals, but its progress.  Stafford and Brady will test their resolve in upcoming games, so the jury is still out with me on if the defense is truly worthy of their current ranking.  I sometimes wonder what the Steelers would look like with Belichick as their coach.  Straight X's & O's, do your job, make adjustments from play to play.  He would have been good for at least two more Super Bowls;-)

DanLore

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1565 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
Agreed on the emotional aspect Stads, but there is more to it.  The Steelers biggest issue in the past (especially with the Pats) is in-game adjustments on defense.  They have a game plan, and stick to it no matter what.  Brady picks them apart, and they continue to play zone against him with no pressure.  Next game against the Pats, same thing with the same result.  It has been painful to watch over the years.

This year, they are finally making adjustments defensively as shown this past weekend.  The Bengals moved on them in the first half, then the Steelers put the hammer down.  No points, 20 something yards and one first down in the second half.  Yes, it was the Bengals, but its progress.  Stafford and Brady will test their resolve in upcoming games, so the jury is still out with me on if the defense is truly worthy of their current ranking.  I sometimes wonder what the Steelers would look like with Belichick as their coach.  Straight X's & O's, do your job, make adjustments from play to play.  He would have been good for at least two more Super Bowls;-)

DanLore

Good post, I agree. It's also worth noting that for the last several years, the Steelers have not had the personnel in the secondary to make a good adjustment to man-to-man when Brady started picking apart the zone. They seem to have that this year, especially with the addition of Haden. I think this will offer them the flexibility to feel comfortable making those adjustments, they just need to have the proper coaching and preparation to be put in a position to succeed.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1566 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
Maybe it's because I despise Nance, but I haven't warmed to Romo yet.  I actually liked Phil Simms, so for me, so far, it's not a trade up.

Well, I can see how someone might not prefer Nance, but despise?  He seems to be a pretty likable guy.  I thought Simms was pretty good and knowledgeable, but Romo has a lot more energy and really gets into the game.  I think fans can really appreciate his enthusiasm.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1567 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »

Well, I can see how someone might not prefer Nance, but despise?  He seems to be a pretty likable guy.  I thought Simms was pretty good and knowledgeable, but Romo has a lot more energy and really gets into the game.  I think fans can really appreciate his enthusiasm.
A bit too much, IMO. He's annoyed me a couple of times, but I am warming to him.

I was wondering if they keep those guys on a delay, because it's only a matter of time before Romo calls something bullshit or exclaims what the fuck! I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, assuming it hasn't, but it will.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1568 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:34 PM »

My hatred for him goes back to the 1999 NCAA Championship Game between Duke and UConn, and UConn was leading most of the game, and to hear Nance and Billy Packer talk about it was just... deplorable (can I say that?).  It was never "look at this UConn team!" it was always "well, Duke is going to have to play Duke basketball to get this where it should be" and "Duke this" and "Duke that", as if UConn was upsetting the cosmos by fucking with the order of things.   Even at the end - UConn won 77-74 - it wasn't about the UConn team it was about the Duke team.   It's almost like they were homers rooting for their team and were disappointed when it didn't work out in their favor.    It was an upset, to be sure, but it shouldn't have been that big a surprise to someone that knew about the game and was unbiased.   UConn was like ten point underdogs in the game, but they were a good solid team, number one in the country for about half the season, Big East regular season and tournament champions, and number one seed in the tourney.   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1569 on: October 27, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »

A bit too much, IMO. He's annoyed me a couple of times, but I am warming to him.

I was wondering if they keep those guys on a delay, because it's only a matter of time before Romo calls something bullshit or exclaims what the fuck! I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, assuming it hasn't, but it will.

I think there is a delay of some sort, sometimes my phone will let me know of a touchdown being scored before it happens on TV.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: October 27, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »
My hatred for him goes back to the 1999 NCAA Championship Game between Duke and UConn...

To be fair, Packer was the biggest ACC honk, and would have called a biased game if they played against God, Jesus, Joseph, Mary, and Mother Teresa. Not to mention the general media bias toward Duke (it's there Dukies, quit denying it). I can't recall a game from that long ago, but Nantz never seems too biased in any direction for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1571 on: October 27, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »

I think there is a delay of some sort, sometimes my phone will let me know of a touchdown being scored before it happens on TV.
There are certainly delays with regards to how the broadcast gets to you.  I know there are several seconds between CATV and OTA broadcasts. I stream games via P2P and I'm usually a couple of minutes behind. That's not the same as a broadcast delay, where somebody's got 7 seconds to dump the audio after a drunken Al Michaels says "filthy cunt whore" live on the air. However, now that I think about it, after the tragic events of 2/1/04 I'm pretty sure there's a mandated delay.

NEVER FORGET!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:10:05 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1572 on: October 27, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
There are certainly delays with regards to how the broadcast gets to you.  I know there are several seconds between CATV and OTA broadcasts. I stream games via P2P and I'm usually a couple of minutes behind. That's not the same as a broadcast delay, where somebody's got 7 seconds to dump the audio after a drunken Al Michaels says "filthy cunt whore" live on the air. However, now that I think about it, after the tragic events of 2/1/04 I'm pretty sure there's a mandated delay.

NEVER FORGET!

JT and JJ halftime show?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1573 on: October 27, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »

NEVER FORGET!

JT and JJ halftime show?
That should be etched into your brain. Why do you hate America so much?
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1574 on: October 27, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »

NEVER FORGET!

JT and JJ halftime show?
That should be etched into your brain. Why do you hate America so much?

:lol