Author Topic: Astonishing my first DT album....where next?  (Read 8660 times)

SebastianPratesi

Re: Astonishing my first DT album....where next?
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 09:40:39 PM »
No need to speculate, as the band already refers to it as the "12-Step Suite."  And since it is a collection of related songs, it fits the definition of a "suite."  If they were to compile all of them and release them on an album, then it would also obviously be considered an "album" as well--an album that contains a suite.  But it still would not be a "song" because it would be comprised of separate songs.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know so. I always thought that was how fans/journalism referred to it. I guess Mike has talked about it in some interviews, then.

We mostly referred to it as the AA saga until MP gave the proper name.

Thanks for clarifying!

Offline Billzo

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2016, 05:19:22 AM »
includes Metropolis Pt. 1, a single song

:lol

Offline clinks63

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:52 AM »
Images And Words
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 05:28:37 AM »
Images And Words

You want him to buy a second copy? I admit it's awesome, but . . .

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
I am a complete DT newbie. The Astonishingly is my first DT album and has completely blown me away. Never heard anything like it before, I've taken the time to read the story and follow the lyrics, and wow! The musicianship is amazing and what I really love about it is that despite its length, it is accessible with loads of memorable and catchy stuff throughout. Can't stop playing it.

I come from the melodic side of rock/prog...earlier Genesis, Marrillion, Jethro Tull, Spocks Beard, Pendragon. I get the impression that The Astonishing is a one off, a rock opera/ musical theater thing. I'm a sucker for a good melody/power ballad, but also love raw rock power.

Which album should be my second purchase? Btw, can't believe I have missed this band for so many years, really excited to discover more!

Welcome aboard

If you liked the concept album theme check out Scenes from a Memory (which is head and shoulders better than The Astonishing in my opinion.

Truthfully any album is a great choice. 

My dad got into them through Awake (which is another great record and shows off a more metal side)

Summary- Scenes or Awake would be great choices but you can't go wrong with any album.

Probably wouldn't start off with Train of Thought (Dream Theater was trying to be Metallica and Megadeth on this one) or When Dream and Day Unite because they had a different singer.

Even there weaker ones (Black Clouds, Systematic Chaos, Self Titled) are great