Author Topic: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)  (Read 350953 times)

Offline DTA

Re: DT15: A View From The Top Of The World (Timeline for DT15)
« Reply #2590 on: August 01, 2021, 07:56:59 PM »
Jordan is doing solo shows, so it’s possible he’s rehearsing Tuscany for those. I don’t recall any guys in DT giving away setlist info before a tour so I wouldn’t read too much into that. Plus an all epics show sounds like the most boring experience you could possibly design for a live show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2591 on: August 01, 2021, 08:03:41 PM »
Jordan is doing solo shows, so it’s possible he’s rehearsing Tuscany for those. I don’t recall any guys in DT giving away setlist info before a tour so I wouldn’t read too much into that. Plus an all epics show sounds like the most boring experience you could possibly design for a live show.

I used to think that as well, but after Morsefest 2017, where night 1 saw the first 85 minutes (-ish) of the show feature a total of four songs, I changed my mind.  If we can assume for the sake of argument that the long epic from the forthcoming album will be, at the very worst, very good, a back to back to back of The Count of Tuscany, the new epic and Octavarium could be pretty freaking sweet.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2592 on: August 01, 2021, 10:30:36 PM »

I used to think that as well, but after Morsefest 2017, where night 1 saw the first 85 minutes (-ish) of the show feature a total of four songs, I changed my mind.  If we can assume for the sake of argument that the long epic from the forthcoming album will be, at the very worst, very good, a back to back to back of The Count of Tuscany, the new epic and Octavarium could be pretty freaking sweet.

They could include those two epics and play 4-5 songs from the new album, including the 20 min. title-epic.

I actually wouldn't mind that. That is dependent though on how good the new album is. What sucks about seeing them on their first show is I do not have much time to digest the new album before my first show, but will do my best to get familiar with the songs prior to the show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: August 02, 2021, 03:46:43 AM »
A Change Of Seasons : 23
Six Degrees : 42
In The Name Of God : 14
Octavarium : 24
ITPOE : 25
The Count of Tuscany : 20
Illumination Theory : 23
A View From The Top Of The World : 20

That would be a 3 hour show. If they played non-stop.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #2594 on: August 02, 2021, 03:56:28 AM »
Jordan is doing solo shows, so it’s possible he’s rehearsing Tuscany for those. I don’t recall any guys in DT giving away setlist info before a tour so I wouldn’t read too much into that.

I am pretty sure Jordan was playing snippets from TCOT before the BCSL tour, if my memory is correct, pretty much confirming that it was gonna be played. I remember being so hyped for that.

Edit: Found them. These are so good I am gonna share them 😁

https://youtu.be/hwF4oo1CZNo

https://youtu.be/d3t-EQpbKvM

https://youtu.be/1USh-arMBwE
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:04:40 AM by Pettor »

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2595 on: August 02, 2021, 04:12:54 AM »
A Change Of Seasons : 23
Six Degrees : 42
In The Name Of God : 14
Octavarium : 24
ITPOE : 25
The Count of Tuscany : 20
Illumination Theory : 23
A View From The Top Of The World : 20

That would be a 3 hour show. If they played non-stop.
add the 12 steps suite as an encore lol
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline DTA

« Reply #2596 on: August 02, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »

Somehow Morsefest feels different though, mainly because there was two nights of music and you knew the epics were just one piece of the entire experience. With 3 epics in a DT show, you've reduced the amount of time for back catalog so much that it will be new album stuff + epics + whatever JP feels are crowd pleasers to round out the night. After the SFAM/I&W tours, I'm ready for a setlist containing stuff from their entire career, including a healthy dose of MM-era stuff that maybe hasn't been played before (Surrender To Reason/Viper King/Out of Reach) or only played on the album tour (This Is The Life, Behind The Veil). Also, I know he's probably not as thorough as MP when creating setlists, but somehow I feel that JP wouldn't do another epic from BC&SL after doing A Nightmare To Remember in the first set on the entire SFAM run. I think Octavarium has the most chance of returning if they do decide to do a 2-epic set.

Offline DTA

« Reply #2597 on: August 02, 2021, 04:52:01 AM »

They could include those two epics and play 4-5 songs from the new album, including the 20 min. title-epic.

I actually wouldn't mind that. That is dependent though on how good the new album is. What sucks about seeing them on their first show is I do not have much time to digest the new album before my first show, but will do my best to get familiar with the songs prior to the show.

I think I selfishly want them to avoid other epics since I've been lucky enough to see all of them live. Their setlists have seemed so rigid lately with the SFAM/I&W tours that I'm just looking for a little more variety in the song choices. The first show of a tour is usually pretty exciting though, as there are often little mistakes and quirks that get ironed out as they get more comfortable, but yeah, it's frustrating going into a concert only partially knowing the material. I think I would probably listen 24/7 in the few days leading up to the show.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2598 on: August 02, 2021, 06:56:07 AM »
Would be really surprised, with these not being ‘an evening with’ shows if they play any of the other 20min plus songs other than the title track off the new album.  It just takes up too much of the show, especially since there are a number of other long songs on the new record. 

Even though I don’t love the album as much as some, I’m hoping they maybe touch on SDOIT this time around as they don’t seem to play much from that album live.  I’ve got a feeling that we might get The Glass Prison on this run, JP must know that a lot of fans are asking for it and it’s interesting that JM mentioned it in his recent interview about hard songs to play.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2599 on: August 02, 2021, 06:57:43 AM »
I was made aware that the Cover image that we were given actual wasn't the final one - there was a more polished version available:

Notice the dust and waterfall changes, the bird changes, and the shadows on the boots...

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2600 on: August 02, 2021, 07:14:58 AM »
I was made aware that the Cover image that we were given actual wasn't the final one - there was a more polished version available:

Notice the dust and waterfall changes, the bird changes, and the shadows on the boots...

I'm starting to like this cover a lot  :metal

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2601 on: August 02, 2021, 07:18:48 AM »

For whatever reason, I associate the 'blue/watery' imagry of FII with the more atmospheric side of the band.

If this album dips into the 'Lines in the Sand,' 'Trial of Tears' end of the pool, I will be so happy!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2602 on: August 02, 2021, 07:43:26 AM »

I never had a problem with the the first one. But seeing this, yeah…it looks better. Much cleaner and more detailed. I love the cover.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: August 02, 2021, 07:45:55 AM »
It is a very nice cover. Reminds me of Octavarium and A Dramatic Turn of Evente - and yeah a soupcon of Falling Into Infinity.

Best Hugh cover since Octavarium for me.

Another Hell's Kitchen would be nice.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2604 on: August 02, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »

Another cool but relatively bland instrumental lifted from a song where it didn't belong, and with the best part tackled onto the end just to make it flow into another song? no thanks  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: August 02, 2021, 07:50:22 AM »
k

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2606 on: August 02, 2021, 07:52:26 AM »
It is a very nice cover. Reminds me of Octavarium and A Dramatic Turn of Evente - and yeah a soupcon of Falling Into Infinity.

Best Hugh cover since Octavarium for me.

Hell yeah—or something in the vein of 8VM!.

All kidding aside, I'm super excited. I really hope the single drops on Friday, bc I'm off, and I'll be able to soak it in.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2607 on: August 02, 2021, 08:04:30 AM »
The more I look at the cover the more I like it. So colorful and I think it’s some of Hugh’s best composition 👍

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2608 on: August 02, 2021, 08:12:22 AM »
It's a beautiful cover and kind of reminiscent of Yes covers, which is a cool reference. I still think it would be cool if they had cut off the top of the right side of the mountain to match more literally the title of the album, but it's not a big deal.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #2609 on: August 02, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »

What did the original one look like? I went back to the original post for the album cover on Page 64 of this thread and both images look completely identical.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2610 on: August 02, 2021, 08:27:45 AM »
Maybe it's a social experiment by noxon to get people to appreciate the "new cover" while it's actually the same one  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2611 on: August 02, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »

What did the original one look like? I went back to the original post for the album cover on Page 64 of this thread and both images look completely identical.

DT Socials and Website:

Press Release (And actual Final Version):

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2612 on: August 02, 2021, 08:38:13 AM »
Relax guys, no need to get all angry because some of us don't like Hugh Syme's art. In the end it's the music that matters.
I couldn’t care less if you don’t like it, but there are better ways for people to articulate that. Most people are great, but then there are a bunch of comments which are childish and lame. It’s almost like the minute DT put out a Syme cover, there’s this thing where instead of saying “that’s overall pretty cool”, or “I’m not feeling this one as much”, they are like “here we go again with Syme, what can we find that’s wrong”. They’ll get out a microscope and nitpick every fucking detail. It’s like “Hugh Syme has got form of missing the last half centimetre of a shadow, so I’d better check every shadow on this new album art”. And if they find something off the size of a bees dick, they are the first to get on the forum and say “see, see, I told you so, man that guy is lazy hahaha”, like there is some prize at the end of it all. Sorry man, but that’s just bullshit.
I don't know how much of your post is directed at me, but I'll say this: Hugh Syme has been designing album cover artwork for 46 years (maybe even more). It is his profession. From past artwork (especially Rush), it is clear that it is something he took great care in doing. But that attention to detail is not what it once was. So if some, especially those like myself that are pretty familiar with Photoshop take issue with some details not right, why is it wrong to bring that up? They may not be glaring errors (although there was that issue with the s/t cover that was) but they are simple things that someone like him could easily fix, if he would take the time (no pun intended) to give the artwork a final once over before submitting the final version.

And for those that say "it's just artwork - get a life!", don't forget that the cover art is a visual *representation* of the album. Yes the music is the most important thing - no argument there - but the cover is the first thing people see when looking at the album, especially vinyl with it's resurgence in popularity. Why wouldn't you want it to be the best it could be? First impressions are lasting.

For the record, I do like the cover art for this one and don't have a problem with it, aside from perhaps questioning the size of the child in relation to the viewfinder or whatever you call it (which is a minor quibble) and wondering if the 3D metallic style band logo was a good choice against that shade of blue since it seems a bit hard to read.

None of it was directed at you specifically. If it was, I would have no trouble stating that. You always articulate your thoughts well and provide reasonable arguments and solutions. No problem with that at all.

Clearly, the frustration is more referring to the sheep that think it’s somehow cool to say “it’s shit” regardless simply because it’s Hugh Syme. Bandwagon jumpers or to quote Noxon “the echo chamber” that find it funny to shit on the artwork simply because - well, frankly I don’t even know, because it’s super lame. Well put together responses I’ll gladly converse with all day. But the lame and disrespectful shit is what keeps me away from these boards for long periods, because it sounds like it’s coming from pre-pubescent teens that need to get laid.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2613 on: August 02, 2021, 08:40:26 AM »

Another cool but relatively bland instrumental lifted from a song where it didn't belong, and with the best part tackled onto the end just to make it flow into another song? no thanks  :D

Hell's Kitchen is fantastic. One of the few instances I can think of where Dream Theater exercises a lot of restraint and commits to building up a single idea over the course of an instrumental section (and they build it up wonderfully) rather than stringing a bunch of different ideas together or vamping on the same riff for a while without any real changes in intensity. I don't understand anyone who criticizes the song for being too repetitive (which maybe you're not, but I've seen that take around here before).

So yes, more Hell's Kitchen would be nice.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2614 on: August 02, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
Maybe it's a social experiment by noxon to get people to appreciate the "new cover" while it's actually the same one  ;D

:rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2615 on: August 02, 2021, 08:49:34 AM »

Hell's Kitchen is fantastic. One of the few instances I can think of where Dream Theater exercises a lot of restraint and commits to building up a single idea over the course of an instrumental section (and they build it up wonderfully) rather than stringing a bunch of different ideas together or vamping on the same riff for a while without any real changes in intensity. I don't understand anyone who criticizes the song for being too repetitive (which maybe you're not, but I've seen that take around here before).

So yes, more Hell's Kitchen would be nice.

Absolutely. Not only is Hell’s Kitchen underrated, but to me, it’s their best instrumental bar none. And yes, I prefer it to Dance of Eternity. Love em both, but the pure feeling of HK gets me every time…

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2616 on: August 02, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »

DT Socials and Website:

Press Release (And actual Final Version):

While I can definitely see the cleaner version, the first pic that came out on page 64 of this thread had the better version, so that’s what I’ve been looking at the whole time if that’s worth anything. And yep, still think it’s a ripping cover  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2617 on: August 02, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »
Maybe it’s just because I’m on my phone, but I still can’t tell any difference and I’ve been staring at them for five minutes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2618 on: August 02, 2021, 09:14:29 AM »
Album art Patch Notes:
- Increased camera FOV slightly
- Fog (mist?) at the bottom removed to prevent an exploit
- Waterfall VFX improved (droplets now visible)
- Bird has been buffed, now slightly larger
- Color balance is slightly more blueish
- Album text is slightly less bold (anti-accessibility feature)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline mariner

« Reply #2619 on: August 02, 2021, 09:15:48 AM »
The bird is definitely larger, and the fog has been removed.  More dust in the lower right corner, too.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #2620 on: August 02, 2021, 09:17:55 AM »
From what I can see, the shoe laces now have their own shadows too.

Offline dream75

« Reply #2621 on: August 02, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »

I think there will be no instrumentals…

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2622 on: August 02, 2021, 09:42:22 AM »
I’ve always liked it when there’s texture to the DT font on their album covers.

Also, I’ve noticed that IO likes to release the first song from an album as the first single (also DT has been doing this since ADTOE) so I’m gonna guess we’re getting The Alien first.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2623 on: August 02, 2021, 09:48:27 AM »
Album art Patch Notes:
- Increased camera FOV slightly
- Fog (mist?) at the bottom removed to prevent an exploit
- Waterfall VFX improved (droplets now visible)
- Bird has been buffed, now slightly larger
- Color balance is slightly more blueish
- Album text is slightly less bold (anti-accessibility feature)
From what I can see, the shoe laces now have their own shadows too.

The waterfall has more detail.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2624 on: August 02, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »
Maybe it’s just because I’m on my phone, but I still can’t tell any difference and I’ve been staring at them for five minutes.

Me too...and I'm on a desktop.

To paraphrase Joey Tribbiani:  Looks exactly the same to me!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung