Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 193757 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2520 on: June 27, 2021, 04:31:32 AM »
I just run with phone in hand with some music playing from the phone.

Do you also blast the music from your car for everyone to hear while driving? :biggrin:

Actually I probably wouldn't use headphones while running in the city either, it's just I live near a huge park so it's less of a problem here.

Don't think I could talk on the phone running either truthfully lol.

Yeah, with your time per km you probably wouldn't. :lol Although I managed a few calls with 5:20 per km, mostly it was just some spam and internet companies so the calls lasted for 10 seconds while I told them to fuck off.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2521 on: June 27, 2021, 04:47:44 AM »
I just run with phone in hand with some music playing from the phone.

Do you also blast the music from your car for everyone to hear while driving? :biggrin:

Actually I probably wouldn't use headphones while running in the city either, it's just I live near a huge park so it's less of a problem here.

Don't think I could talk on the phone running either truthfully lol.

Yeah, with your time per km you probably wouldn't. :lol Although I managed a few calls with 5:20 per km, mostly it was just some spam and internet companies so the calls lasted for 10 seconds while I told them to fuck off.

Ha!  I need a few of those, might fire you up to go a bit faster.

Yeah, I've gotten a few weird looks if there are people around running with some Agalloch or Edge of Sanity going, but it's not that loud, and I run around the people I do see and generally stay out of everyone's way.  I'll go on the road so the people using the footpath still have the whole path to themselves.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2522 on: June 27, 2021, 04:48:54 AM »
Damn Kade... hope you don't do too much damage to yourself.  Power through mate, but then you better damn well recover!

Had to take a couple days off, having gotten my 2nd Covid vaccine shot on Thursday.  Was pretty low-key on Friday, and yesterday was spent working on a project in our storage room which has become the workspace for jingle.son.  Took virtually all day, but was good to get it done, and now I can get back to working out today

Bough an EZ curl bar, and some more weight plates (rubber coated ones, which will make loading/unloading the plates a little quieter) last week.  Looking forward to using 'em this morning.  Chest and tris this morning; back and traps tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: June 27, 2021, 05:06:26 AM »
Damn Kade... hope you don't do too much damage to yourself.  Power through mate, but then you better damn well recover!

Had to take a couple days off, having gotten my 2nd Covid vaccine shot on Thursday.  Was pretty low-key on Friday, and yesterday was spent working on a project in our storage room which has become the workspace for jingle.son.  Took virtually all day, but was good to get it done, and now I can get back to working out today

Bough an EZ curl bar, and some more weight plates (rubber coated ones, which will make loading/unloading the plates a little quieter) last week.  Looking forward to using 'em this morning.  Chest and tris this morning; back and traps tonight.

Thanks mate.  I'll be sweet.  It's good to see how far you can push yourself sometimes.

Those rubber weights are the shit.  Much more preferable for my liking.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: June 27, 2021, 05:33:12 AM »
At first I thought you were implying they were shit!  As soon as the 'new' smell wears off (as well as the oily residue of the coating), I'm really gonna be annoyed that I've got 300lbs of cast-iron plates.  I got a pair of 35s and 25s for the rubber coated ones.  Might gradually add (ie, replace) the cast iron ones.  But at $2.25/lb, it's gonna add up.  I might see if they'll buy back / swap my cast iron ones - they normally sell the 300lb set of rubber plates for $700.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: June 27, 2021, 02:27:33 PM »
At first I thought you were implying they were shit!  As soon as the 'new' smell wears off (as well as the oily residue of the coating), I'm really gonna be annoyed that I've got 300lbs of cast-iron plates.  I got a pair of 35s and 25s for the rubber coated ones.  Might gradually add (ie, replace) the cast iron ones.  But at $2.25/lb, it's gonna add up.  I might see if they'll buy back / swap my cast iron ones - they normally sell the 300lb set of rubber plates for $700.

No, I love them.  Much better than the metal ones.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: June 27, 2021, 04:07:49 PM »
Damn, my right heel area is fucked.  Hurts to walk and have a bit of a limp.  Hmmm......took This morning off unfortunately.  Hopefully there's a quick improvement by tomorrow....... :-\

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2527 on: June 30, 2021, 05:42:27 AM »
Well done Kade! 300km in a month is ridiculous. Take some well deserved time off from running lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: June 30, 2021, 05:50:52 AM »
Thanks Rich.  My right foot is buggered and you can see by my pace the last 2 days, well below par.  Hurts to walk.  Thinking maybe plantar fasciitis maybe.  But maybe just overuse.  Few days off running I need.  Want to keep it up but my aim is to improve time so rest is needed.

Must admit my body is hurting but glad I got it done, just.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: June 30, 2021, 06:05:14 AM »
Well done mate.  Now rest and heal up.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2530 on: June 30, 2021, 06:42:06 AM »
Thanks Rich.  My right foot is buggered and you can see by my pace the last 2 days, well below par.  Hurts to walk.  Thinking maybe plantar fasciitis maybe.  But maybe just overuse.  Few days off running I need.  Want to keep it up but my aim is to improve time so rest is needed.

I thought plantar fasciitis was due to over use? Either way, sounds like you need a few no-run days!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: June 30, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »
Well done mate.  Now rest and heal up.

Thanks dude.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: June 30, 2021, 02:42:24 PM »

I thought plantar fasciitis was due to over use? Either way, sounds like you need a few no-run days!

300km in 30 days isn't over use?  Plus 5 weight sessions a week and my job is moderately active.  Guess I better get back into it then.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2533 on: June 30, 2021, 08:19:06 PM »

300km in 30 days isn't over use?  Plus 5 weight sessions a week and my job is moderately active.  Guess I better get back into it then.

Huh? Of course 300km in 30 days is overuse. My comment was in reference to you saying its PF or maybe overuse. I thought they were essentially related but the phrasing of your sentence makes it seems like they aren't.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2534 on: July 01, 2021, 12:36:31 AM »

Huh? Of course 300km in 30 days is overuse. My comment was in reference to you saying its PF or maybe overuse. I thought they were essentially related but the phrasing of your sentence makes it seems like they aren't.

Oh, my apologies.  yeah, I took your comment wrong, my fault.  I haven't done a lot of reading, just a quick google search so not sure if there are other causes, but yeah, reading back, my comment does contradict itself I guess.  There was no sudden point I felt anything wrong so overuse is what I've boiled it down to.  A couple of days off and I'll be sweet.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: July 01, 2021, 04:44:27 AM »
I developed a case of PF about a year ago, simply by walking barefoot (or just socks) around the house all the time.  As soon as I started wearing a pair of shoes on a regular basis, it cleared it right up.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2536 on: July 01, 2021, 06:47:27 AM »
You know you're old when you have to wear house shoes to avoid injury lol Love you

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: July 01, 2021, 09:05:50 AM »
You know you're old when you have to wear house shoes to avoid injury lol Love you

Rite!?!?

It’s probably genetic, as my mother has worn prescription sandals for a couple of decades.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: July 03, 2021, 05:24:04 AM »
New thread title is ironic.  I wrenched my back doing deadlifts yesterday.  Piss me off, because I did a lot of stretching and warmup, including rolling my back which I haven't done in quite a while.  I was on my 2nd working set at 263lbs and felt it instantly.  At least I was smart enough to stop straight away.  Still kept working out doing lat work and biceps, but my lower back is a bit of a mess.  I just spent 20 minutes stretching it out and trying to keep it loose.  I'm hopeful this is a short term thing, and it'll work itself out over the next few days.

At least it's not totally debilitating like when I thru my back out in 2014 - that was 5-6 weeks of recovery.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: July 03, 2021, 06:42:12 AM »
New thread title is ironic.  I wrenched my back doing deadlifts yesterday.  Piss me off, because I did a lot of stretching and warmup, including rolling my back which I haven't done in quite a while.  I was on my 2nd working set at 263lbs and felt it instantly.  At least I was smart enough to stop straight away.  Still kept working out doing lat work and biceps, but my lower back is a bit of a mess.  I just spent 20 minutes stretching it out and trying to keep it loose.  I'm hopeful this is a short term thing, and it'll work itself out over the next few days.

At least it's not totally debilitating like when I thru my back out in 2014 - that was 5-6 weeks of recovery.

Ouch mate.  Hopefully it's just a jar or something.  It's the worst feeling when you feel something instantly.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: July 03, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »
Agreed.  I just spent 15 minutes in the hot tub with the "super duper" jets (literally, that's what the Arctic Spas calls this one set of jets - SDS / Super-Duper System).  Pretty sure I'll be back to normal in a few days or so.  Just pissed, cuz I'm on a roll with my workouts, and being off for 10 days have a bunch of things I want to do - which are fairly low-key, so I'll still be able to do them ... just with a bit of discomort.  >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: July 04, 2021, 09:56:42 PM »
Agreed.  I just spent 15 minutes in the hot tub with the "super duper" jets (literally, that's what the Arctic Spas calls this one set of jets - SDS / Super-Duper System).  Pretty sure I'll be back to normal in a few days or so.  Just pissed, cuz I'm on a roll with my workouts, and being off for 10 days have a bunch of things I want to do - which are fairly low-key, so I'll still be able to do them ... just with a bit of discomort.  >:(

They seem to happen at the most inconvenient times.  Not that there is a convenient time.

My right foot is still stuffed.  Although I went for a 10km run yesterday.  It was getting better but pushed myself.  The first few steps were excruciating but I had psyched myself up so ran through the pain.  5.35 pace surprisingly. 

I think it feels like torn ligaments or something around my heel, but just guessing.  Theres a sick part of me that actually enjoys pushing thrpugh the pain.  I think I'm a bit sadistic.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: July 05, 2021, 04:46:11 AM »
You must be!  I'd tell you to read the thread title (and do it!), but you probably won't.   :lol

Fortunately, with some stretching, hot tub jets, and muscle/back pain pills, I'm good to go.  Just a dull ache in my back if I'm stationary for too long (sitting/sleeping).  Got a solid chest workout in last night; tris and forearms shortly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: July 05, 2021, 05:19:18 AM »
You must be!  I'd tell you to read the thread title (and do it!), but you probably won't.   :lol

Fortunately, with some stretching, hot tub jets, and muscle/back pain pills, I'm good to go.  Just a dull ache in my back if I'm stationary for too long (sitting/sleeping).  Got a solid chest workout in last night; tris and forearms shortly.

Nice outcome.

Yeah, concentrating on weights for the week and hopefully back out running on the weekend.  Did a massive chest and tri workout myself tonight.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: July 13, 2021, 10:45:04 AM »
I just want to say, screw this weather. Been like that for over a week and I would like some rain right now please. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2545 on: July 13, 2021, 10:51:23 AM »
I just want to say, screw this weather. Been like that for over a week and I would like some rain right now please. 

We just went through that here, except 5 or 6 degrees warmer. It was brutal. Just about everyday was a new record for daytime high and overnight temps. Not quite as bad as our neighbors one province over where they hit 47C multiple times, but 39 in the shade was plenty hot enough.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2546 on: July 13, 2021, 10:52:25 AM »
Glad to see you're a nut like me, and still went exercising in the heat lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: July 13, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
We just went through that here, except 5 or 6 degrees warmer. It was brutal. Just about everyday was a new record for daytime high and overnight temps. Not quite as bad as our neighbors one province over where they hit 47C multiple times, but 39 in the shade was plenty hot enough.

Holy shit. Yeah well I hope it doesn't get 5 or 6 degrees warmer here. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2548 on: July 13, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »
Meanwhile in Russia.   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: July 13, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
33 degrees is typical summer weather here too.  I'd much rather run in that than the mornings where it's like 5 degrees.  Ruslan, dunno how you run when it's way colder than that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: July 13, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »
I haven't run for a week now.  That 300km challenge caught up with me and my right leg is still recovering.  My heel is improving but the tightness of everything from my hip down to my feet is insanely tight.  I think the heel pain may not be from injury but over tightness of everything else.  Should be back into it by the weekend but it's been depressing not being able to run.  :(

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: July 14, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »
33 degrees is typical summer weather here too.  I'd much rather run in that than the mornings where it's like 5 degrees.  Ruslan, dunno how you run when it's way colder than that.

Yeah I'd prefer anything from +10°C to -10°C to this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2552 on: July 18, 2021, 04:52:57 AM »
First run in 2 weeks today and the foot handled it pretty well.  8km at an 5:24 average so happy with that.  Hopefully tomorrow the aftermath isn't too bad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: July 18, 2021, 05:19:19 AM »
First run in 2 weeks today and the foot handled it pretty well.  8km at an 5:24 average so happy with that.  Hopefully tomorrow the aftermath isn't too bad.

Good stuff mate.  Luckily my back issues from 2 weeks ago were gone after a couple of days of stretching and hot-tub soaking.  I did buy a weight belt though for those heavy deadlifts, squats, and such.  Also ended up swapping out my cast-iron plate for rubber ones - the store gave me a pretty good deal.  Only rub is that they are slightly wider, so I can't fit quite as many plates on a bar - though, I doubt I'll be getting up to anything that would necessitate 400lbs anytime soon.

Gains have been continuing nicely.  Starting to see more veins pop out - getting close to having that bicep vein full-time.

Shoulders this morning, quads tonight.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: July 18, 2021, 06:17:20 AM »

Good stuff mate.  Luckily my back issues from 2 weeks ago were gone after a couple of days of stretching and hot-tub soaking.  I did buy a weight belt though for those heavy deadlifts, squats, and such.  Also ended up swapping out my cast-iron plate for rubber ones - the store gave me a pretty good deal.  Only rub is that they are slightly wider, so I can't fit quite as many plates on a bar - though, I doubt I'll be getting up to anything that would necessitate 400lbs anytime soon.

Gains have been continuing nicely.  Starting to see more veins pop out - getting close to having that bicep vein full-time.

Shoulders this morning, quads tonight.

Sounds like you got a good routine going.  What about calories, are you tracking anything?  Eating a bit more for size or anything?