Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 193757 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2205 on: January 27, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
Great reading lads.  I'll chime in a few thoughts when I get to work.

But the heaviest I've been is 118kg (260lbs).  I'm 6"2.  Currently around 80kg. (175lbs.)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2206 on: January 27, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »

But the heaviest I've been is 118kg (260lbs).  I'm 6"2.  Currently around 80kg. (175lbs.)

It's like we mirror each other.  For some reason, I didn't think you were that tall.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: January 27, 2021, 07:02:08 PM »

It's like we mirror each other.  For some reason, I didn't think you were that tall.

yeah, haha I thought that too reading your post.  Yeah, 187cm, that might be 6"1 and a half maybe but close enough.  Dunno if that's a good thing or not that you didn't think I was that tall haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: January 27, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »
Also, here's the graph of my weight over the last 4 years. It' interesting to see the spikes where I made deliberate changes to my diet or exercise. If I look at the data over a shorter period, like say 3 months, you can actually see the weight increase virtually every weekend. I typically try to view it as a 'best fit' line to determine the actual trend in my weight so I don't get discouraged. Part of tracking my weight daily means dealing with the wild swings from changes in my sodium or carb intake. Example: sunday morning - 193lbs, monday morning - 196.5 lbs, tuesday - 193lbs, today 191.8. Daily weight logging is definitely not for the faint of heart lol.

Your progress and loss during that one specific year between 15 and 16 is bloody impressive mate.  What were your calories and diet looking like during that year?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2209 on: January 27, 2021, 07:09:37 PM »
Two sleeves of Mega Stuf Oreos, ngl

Strength gains going way up in the gym. I love watching those numbers go up.

I realize I may have messed up my knee. I did Insanity for four months straight, and often after workouts, my left knee would be frickin killing me (esp. after sitting for a long stretch of time). Like, the front part of the knee, just lower than the knee bone. I think it's a cartilage issue. It was the many burpees and in-and-out abs that would trigger it.

Well, I quit Insanity because of that three months ago, so I've kept to more mild HIIT  once a week, and light jogging once a week. Still, my knee is achy and uncomfortable at times. So, I am going to just going to lay off it, I think. I think I'll switch my HIIT workout to swimming, and instead of jogging I'll just be walking. Sucks.

mate, if you're in that much pain, I'd recommend switching to the swimming for a period.  You can get a great workout and is mostly upper body so it will give your knee a break.  I'm using what I'm doing at the moment to give my leg a break after a long running stint.  Maybe use a pool bouy and concentrate on your pull. It catches up with you unfortunately so switch it up now so you don't get long term chronic issues.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2210 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:27 PM »
Damn H... If this is how you are at the end of your 20s, wait 'til you hit your 40s!

Oh shit, not even 30.  Definitely take my advice above then mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. liftin' and losin'
« Reply #2211 on: January 27, 2021, 07:13:48 PM »
Kade and Chad, same here. I started rewarding myself more as I began running longer distances so I stopped losing but also didn't gain weight, and then Covid + Christmas / New Year holidays and it got way colder, like -20°C. In between Dec 15th and Jan 22nd I only ran once before the New Year, but I didn't do diet at all, ended up gaining around 13-15 lbs. Not as fat as before, but definitely still uncomfortable.

Now I'm facing Gary's problem :) Only just now getting back into the whole diet and running routine. Saturday 5k run (first this year) was difficult as hell and I couldn't even get out of 30 minutes. Today's 5k was also difficult as hell, I was out of breath after 3km but persevered and at least I finished at 29:05.

Eating-wise, also cutting all sugar again (I ate quite a lot of it during Covid as I didn't lose my sense of taste and had nothing better to do, you know), now it's no breakfast, a routine salad (cucumber, tomato, a bell pepper, a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper) with either turkey or chicken at work, sometimes with broccoli, green beans or rice (carbs, but I like rice too much), cold cuts of low-calories cheese/some meat at home after work. Sometimes a beer, usually after a run (like today). Loads of water at work as I'm with Chad on the whole water thing, always feel much better because of it. Weekends will probably include some cheats though, it's weekends.

I do plan to adhere to the whole thing again though, I liked being thinner way too much.

Hopefully your plans will work out for you, keep the updates coming.

This.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but if it keeps you motivated, then sometimes you need it.  I've made it an unhealthy habit though and trying to break it.

Sucks about your running guys.  I can't relate to the COVID situations but it indeed doesn't take long to lose it.  Your diet looks really clean but seems very low calorie wise mate if that's on a daily basis.  that would affect your running too if your energy is low.

I'm still running through some pain though which is silly.  I don't recommend this to any of you, I'm just a bit stupid.  The month of swimming should help.  However I did an 8km run on Sunday in 42:08 minutes, 5:16 average pace.  My dodgy left leg stopping me from going to the next level.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: January 27, 2021, 07:36:33 PM »
As for my diet, the last two days plus today and Friday simply looks like;

*At least a litre of water in the morning with vitamins.  I like the flavoured disolvable vitamins you can get.  You drink a bit more and has a nice sweet flavour. 

*Mid morning - 2 scoops of protein usually with almond milk and maybe some all natural peanut butter and maybe some instant coffee depending on the protein flavour I choose for the morning.

* Around 2-3pm.  Large can of tuna with a packet of frozen vegetables.

*post workout - scoop of protein.

*Dinner - A decent amount of protein (chicken/steak/salmon), a couple of eggs with some cheese, maybe a slice of bacon also for flavour, green veg (beans/broccoli/spinach) and a large sweet potato

* Before bed - 50-60 grams of oats with chia seeds, natural peanut butter and protein powder.  Usually eaten cold with almond milk.

Thinking the more swimming I'm doing I'm going to have to up the carbs a little.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2213 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:12 PM »
Also, here's the graph of my weight over the last 4 years. It' interesting to see the spikes where I made deliberate changes to my diet or exercise. If I look at the data over a shorter period, like say 3 months, you can actually see the weight increase virtually every weekend. I typically try to view it as a 'best fit' line to determine the actual trend in my weight so I don't get discouraged. Part of tracking my weight daily means dealing with the wild swings from changes in my sodium or carb intake. Example: sunday morning - 193lbs, monday morning - 196.5 lbs, tuesday - 193lbs, today 191.8. Daily weight logging is definitely not for the faint of heart lol.

Your progress and loss during that one specific year between 15 and 16 is bloody impressive mate.  What were your calories and diet looking like during that year?
Thanks!

Diet didn't really change from my usual chicken, fruit and vegetables  as my core foods, but i did tighten the calories. I started tracking my food  daily on MyFitnessPal (where the screen shot is from) just to keep me accountable. I would still indulge in treats, but it got logged win or lose. In fact, I've logged everyday for the last 1851 days according to MyFitnessPal.

The other change was that my son was due Aug 2016 so it was a now or never to get back in shape. I imagined it would only get harder once i had kids. I set up a home gym (a very, very far cry from the current space), and dusted off my old race bike. I was active before with hockey and some gym work, but i probably increased my workouts two or threefold beginning in 2015.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2214 on: January 27, 2021, 09:43:46 PM »
The switching to black coffee definitely made a difference. That probably cut 500-600 calories a day. That was a the top of the steep decline in weight, so I'm sure it's not a coincidence

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: January 27, 2021, 11:36:29 PM »
The switching to black coffee definitely made a difference. That probably cut 500-600 calories a day. That was a the top of the steep decline in weight, so I'm sure it's not a coincidence

Yeah, the first thing I noticed mate.  It's amazing the difference a simple switch like that makes.

Interesting trend too when you started a recomp.  Similar and normal flucuations then a sudden drop at one point.  Thanks for sharing that mate.  I did use MyFitnessPal too for a while and didn't mind it, it's a great tool.  I just got tired of having to log everything.  To do it for 5 years straight is incredible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2216 on: January 28, 2021, 04:21:27 AM »

I assume you were getting latte's or some shit like that from Timmie's or Starbucks?  When I hear someone switches to black coffee, I first assume it means just dropping the cream, which would be about 30-40 cals... so when I hear you say you're saving 500-600 cals, I don't suspect you're drinking 20 cups of coffee a day!   :rollin
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: January 28, 2021, 04:25:32 AM »

I assume you were getting latte's or some shit like that from Timmie's or Starbucks?  When I hear someone switches to black coffee, I first assume it means just dropping the cream, which would be about 30-40 cals... so when I hear you say you're saving 500-600 cals, I don't suspect you're drinking 20 cups of coffee a day!   :rollin

My coffee of choice is usually a latte with caramel or something like that.  You have it on full cream milk and a single coffee can be 300-400 calories or more. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: January 28, 2021, 04:27:06 AM »
Day 3 and up to 9km of 60km.  Need to hit 15km but the end of the week.  Swimming is not my exercise of choice and it's already very tough mentally.

The no sugar thing is going okay, but night time I struggle.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2219 on: January 28, 2021, 05:59:33 AM »
I have to vent a bit here. Before I start, in reference to some of the recent comments, I NEED to weigh myself every day in order for me to lose weight. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it's an accountability/motivational thing. If I see the scale didn't move from the day before, or if I gained anything, I'll take my calories a little more seriously for the day. It's easier for me to cheat and slack if I'm not constantly holding my feet to the fire.

My weight is really pissing me off right now. Most of you probably know already that I lost a lot of weight last year being home during quarantine. By November 30th, I had gone from 300.4lbs to 209. I had some medical stuff come up in December, had two leg surgeries, and I had something like 19 days of PTO to use. I barely exercised and didn't weigh myself once that month. I didn't eat like a complete asshole, but I stopped counting calories and grilled plenty. Come January 5th or so, I finally got myself to climb back on the scale to face my shame. To my surprise, I was only at 214. I was actually wasn't even pissed. I thought only gaining 5lbs after being bed-ridden for a half a month and lazy the other half was pretty good. 

Anyway, on Jan 6th I started running on my treadmill every morning. I'm at the point now where I'm able do 2.5 miles in a half hour, which I think is pretty good given my athletic background and size. I usually do 30 minutes of running or hill climbs followed by a 10 minute cooldown. I've limited myself to 1500 calories a day, and since weighing in at 214lbs 22 days ago, I'm now sitting at 222.2lbs. It boggles my mind and makes absolutely no sense. How have I put on more weight while calorie counting and running every day than I did when I just sat around for a month? I've had plenty of shitty swings over the last year, but 8+lbs gained when I'm pushing myself as hard as I can is something I'm not used to and kind of concerned about. I've never had so many consecutive days of weight gain, and nothing even close to this amount in the given time frame.   

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2220 on: January 28, 2021, 06:42:48 AM »

No, sadly the 5-600 calories was just from cream, and not fancy lattes or anything. I would only use 1 cream portion, but that would be anywhere from 30-45 cal per cup of coffee.

To provide sone context to my coffee habit: i made a New Year's resolution to limit my coffee to 1 pot per day (about 2.5L). That's a reduction by half or more for me, so i was slamming 10-15 cups a day with ease.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:59:27 AM by SchecterShredder »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2221 on: January 28, 2021, 06:53:24 AM »

Amen, brother. I just checked my log, and 95% of my sugar intake for the day happens after dinner.

What do you mix with your protein powder, out of curiosity? I'm guessing water  if you're trying to eliminate sugar. Milk yesterday made up most of my sugar (which i did not expect when i just checked)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2222 on: January 28, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »
Chino,

My understanding of your situation is that it's pretty normal to add weight when going from zero to daily cardo. I think that's why a lot of the weight loss guru's say that 45 minutes of HIIT (3 days of 15 minutes) cardio per week is preferable. My guess is that eventually your body chemistry will balance out if you continue with your current regime and you'll start to loosing again. Also, they usually advise weight training is preferable to cardio for fat burning for reasons I'm not completely sure of.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2223 on: January 28, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »
Chino,

My understanding of your situation is that it's pretty normal to add weight when going from zero to daily cardo. I think that's why a lot of the weight loss guru's say that 45 minutes of HIIT (3 days of 15 minutes) cardio per week is preferable. My guess is that eventually your body chemistry will balance out if you continue with your current regime and you'll start to loosing again. Also, they usually advise weight training is preferable to cardio for fat burning for reasons I'm not completely sure of.
Part of this is the self-fulfilling prophecy quality that comes with adding, or even just moving, body weight from fat to muscle. More muscle will burn more calories, so the more you add the better your base is.

Personally, I also find I gain weight at the onset of winter when I switch from high volume cycling to high volume xc skiing. The skiing works different leg muscles than the cycling, and it usually takes a good 2 or 3 weeks for my body to adjust (during which I'm pretty sure the weight gain is from my legs getting more dense with muscles in areas that are largely underworked all spring, summer and fall)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2224 on: January 28, 2021, 10:34:02 AM »
The body is a fickle mistress sometimes for sure.  1500 cals at that bodyweight does seem a little *too* low, imo.  When I was just doing cardio for my weight loss, I kept it in the 1800-2200 range.  Could be the transition of your body slowing metabolism down in the "starvation mode" scenario that is often referenced.  Your BMR is probably around 1900 cals, so doing the additional exercise as you describe, it probably isn't necessary to go as low as to 1500 cals for your consumption.

Just my 2 cents for an amateur's opinion.

Offline H2

« Reply #2225 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
Coffee people - if you're switching to black, can I recommend investing in fresh-roasted beans? The quality is unbelievably different from brand coffee or even Starbucks/Panera. These guys are great: https://www.stereoscopecoffee.com

mate, if you're in that much pain, I'd recommend switching to the swimming for a period.  You can get a great workout and is mostly upper body so it will give your knee a break.  I'm using what I'm doing at the moment to give my leg a break after a long running stint.  Maybe use a pool bouy and concentrate on your pull. It catches up with you unfortunately so switch it up now so you don't get long term chronic issues.
Thanks. Yeah, I just won't do cardio with any impact. Thanks mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: January 28, 2021, 12:46:50 PM »

Amen, brother. I just checked my log, and 95% of my sugar intake for the day happens after dinner.

What do you mix with your protein powder, out of curiosity? I'm guessing water  if you're trying to eliminate sugar. Milk yesterday made up most of my sugar (which i did not expect when i just checked)

It was milk mate but I've kind of switched to a half water and half unsweetened almond milk.  Some proteins don't mix well with almond milk so sometimes it's just water.  Ones that do work with almond milk I have to dilute it with water.  Full almond milk for me isn't a great consistency.  It's a bit different than using whole milk like I have been lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: January 28, 2021, 12:48:49 PM »

No, sadly the 5-600 calories was just from cream, and not fancy lattes or anything. I would only use 1 cream portion, but that would be anywhere from 30-45 cal per cup of coffee.

To provide sone context to my coffee habit: i made a New Year's resolution to limit my coffee to 1 pot per day (about 2.5L). That's a reduction by half or more for me, so i was slamming 10-15 cups a day with ease.

Holy he'll, 10-15 cups a day!  :o

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: January 28, 2021, 12:53:23 PM »
The body is a fickle mistress sometimes for sure.  1500 cals at that bodyweight does seem a little *too* low, imo.  When I was just doing cardio for my weight loss, I kept it in the 1800-2200 range.  Could be the transition of your body slowing metabolism down in the "starvation mode" scenario that is often referenced.  Your BMR is probably around 1900 cals, so doing the additional exercise as you describe, it probably isn't necessary to go as low as to 1500 cals for your consumption.

Just my 2 cents for an amateur's opinion.

I agree 1500 is way too low. 

I've always struggled with the starvation mode thing too.  I do believe if you're in a defeceit you'll lose but then you see situations like Chinos, so I don't really know.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2229 on: January 28, 2021, 01:04:16 PM »
1500 is too low? I was doing 900-1000, six days a week, for about four months straight last year  :lol oof Figured my body had plenty of stuff to eat in place of food.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: January 28, 2021, 01:23:12 PM »
1500 is too low? I was doing 900-1000, six days a week, for about four months straight last year  :lol oof Figured my body had plenty of stuff to eat in place of food.

Wow.  Maybe that's why you're struggling now with 1500?  Maybe going so low for a long period you're body has lowered it's set point.  I don't know the full science but long periods of ultra low calorie decrease your maintenance set point and then a rise makes you gain weight more easily once some calories are reintroduced.  Not sure but it's something to think about.

What was your calories on the 7th day during that time?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2231 on: January 28, 2021, 01:35:00 PM »
I agree that you shouldn't be going below 1500. You basically have to have no musculature whatsoever if 1000 calories is enough to sustain your muscles. I can honestly say that I have eaten at least 1700 calories every day, with the exception of days I have a stomach virus and have been vomiting my guts out. If I'm in 'weight loss mode', I aim for a net of 2000 (i.e. if I exercise I can eat more to fuel said exercise). In maintenance mode i up it to around the 2300 calorie mark. I've never heard of any doctor or dietician recommending a diet below 1200 cal for women or 1500 for men, and I've never had trouble losing weight eating 2000 per day.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2232 on: January 28, 2021, 01:35:47 PM »

Wow.  Maybe that's why you're struggling now with 1500?  Maybe going so low for a long period you're body has lowered it's set point.  I don't know the full science but long periods of ultra low calorie decrease your maintenance set point and then a rise makes you gain weight more easily once some calories are reintroduced.  Not sure but it's something to think about.

What was your calories on the 7th day during that time?

Probably around 2000 calories or so. It was usually a Friday and it would depend on how many Heinekens I had that night.

It's been weeks though since I had a sub-1000 day. All of December was 1500+. Probably closer to 2000 most days.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:58:48 PM by Chino »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: January 28, 2021, 01:56:30 PM »
Hmmm....since you were laid up for a bit I guess those calories aren't too bad.  I feel a long period of not a single day over 2000 calories is a little extreme though.  I'd give it another week and reasses.  Sometimes your body holds for days at a time then one day you lose a shitload in one day.

2.5 miles in under 30 mins too mate is really good considering you've had leg surgeries.  Don't get discouraged mate, it's hard work.  Keep staying consistent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: January 28, 2021, 02:04:31 PM »

Holy he'll, 10-15 cups a day!  :o

That was my thought too.  I have two cups in the morning, but started brewing 1/2 decaf a few months back.  I'll have a couple more in the late morning/early afternoon because I like something hot to sip at ... but those are 100% decaf.  A couple of days a week, I'll reload another couple of cups of 1/2 decaf in the late afternoon / early evening to keep me going.  10-15 cups of full octane though.  :caffeine:... literally!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:36:23 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: January 28, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »
My stomach simply couldn't handle that amount of coffee.  Unreal.  There's something about the bitterness of black coffee that really irritates my stomach.  Probably more of a me problem.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: January 28, 2021, 02:35:35 PM »
Hmmm....since you were laid up for a bit I guess those calories aren't too bad.  I feel a long period of not a single day over 2000 calories is a little extreme though.  I'd give it another week and reasses.  Sometimes your body holds for days at a time then one day you lose a shitload in one day.

Agree with the things that Schecter and Kade have mentioned here.  I'm certainly no Kinesiology major, but I have seen my body composition flatline, or do the opposite of what I'd expect, for a week or two at a time.  Maybe give it another week or so to see how your body reacts.  The body does like to find a state of equilibrium, so it might take a bit of time for it to get away from the 'equilibrium state' it found when you were in the 1000 calorie intake zone.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2237 on: January 28, 2021, 02:41:32 PM »
My stomach simply couldn't handle that amount of coffee.  Unreal.  There's something about the bitterness of black coffee that really irritates my stomach.  Probably more of a me problem.
Actually, my stomach is what prompted me to cut back lol. I say it was a NY resolution only because it was jan 3 or 4th when I decided to try it out, but in reality I've developed a minor stomach/digestive issue over the last few years. At first I thought it was related to the ridiculous quantity of greek yogurt I was eating, but after cutting out yogurt almost entirely I'm still having issues. Thought I'd see if the coffee is the culprit. I may even just cut back more once I'm used to this just to try to reset whatever receptors in my body react to caffeine. I'm pretty sure I've trashed the shit out of them to the point that they don't feel anything from the coffee.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:00 PM »
If you think it's a caffeine issue, try doing what I did (based on something El Barto mentioned in another thread) ... start brewing 3/4 regular and 1/4 decaf for a while.  Then move to 1/2 decaf.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2239 on: January 28, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
If you think it's a caffeine issue, try doing what I did (based on something El Barto mentioned in another thread) ... start brewing 3/4 regular and 1/4 decaf for a while.  Then move to 1/2 decaf.
I'm not sure if it's caffeine so much as the acidity/bitterness/whateverthehellitis in the coffee itself. Definitely a good suggestion overall though considering how much I still drink each day.