Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 190207 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1540 on: April 05, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:57:37 AM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1541 on: April 05, 2019, 11:25:19 PM »
Not around here (Seattle/Pacific Northwest area).  I haven't heart DT on the radio since 1993....

KISW played As I Am when ToT came out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1542 on: April 05, 2019, 11:48:21 PM »
Not around here (Seattle/Pacific Northwest area).  I haven't heart DT on the radio since 1993....

News to me...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: April 05, 2019, 11:53:54 PM »
I swear that happened. I even remember being in the car when I heard it. I was not keeping up to date on DT news at that point in my life so that's how I found out about ToT being released.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: April 06, 2019, 01:37:54 AM »
Just watched a decent quality vid of PBD...holy crap. They were
flawless and Mangini is super human. Unbelievable talent from
every member to play that song so spot on live. Stunning !!!

Link?

I'm guessing it's this, from emtee's description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqBIiZTaDU
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1545 on: April 06, 2019, 06:40:00 AM »

As I Am got airplay here in Chicago as well.  With all the "controversy" surrounding Train of Thought (the stripped-down approach, more metal, less prog, whatever) I remember thinking that I guess I was okay with it if it meant DT finally scored a hit again, or at least got noticed.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1546 on: April 06, 2019, 08:01:36 AM »
DoT probably has more radio friendly songs than most DT albums or maybe any of them for that matter.  I realize DT gets a lot of internet radio play but what about local radio stations?  I never listen to the radio, so does anyone know if some of the new songs are getting radio play at all?
Not around here (Seattle/Pacific Northwest area).  I haven't heart DT on the radio since 1993,  which is a bummer since they have quite a few radio friendly songs since then. 

I don't know if the label has much clout with mainstream radio since they mostly focus on prog/metal  music. I wish insideoutmusic would push harder to get Distance Over Time on some hard rock stations around the country, but like I said I doubt they have enough clout to do so.

It seems an absolute crime that songs from this album (d/t) aren't getting airplay, Dream Theater deserves better than that!   I know they would have a bigger following here in the states if they did. Plus they would sell out bigger venues.

It all has to do with contracts between radio stations and mainstream record companies.  :tdwn

Hit radio stations aren't playing Dream Theater, in part because rock and metal are 'over' as a mainstream source of music. Like jazz before it, it will live on (obviously, and imo most of the best jazz came after it wasn't mainstream anymore) but is underground. New songs aren't going to be filled with riffs, or even people playing instruments for the most part. Mainstream music has been dumbed down more and more each decade, a band like Dream Theater is only going to expand minds, it's any wonder that The Mars Volta had a relatively big hit back in 2005/6, "The Widow" but the rest of their music sounds nothing like that song, but they kind of fit a particular sound that was popular in the rock spectrum at that time. The 'popular' music keeps getting simpler, less reliant on anyone playing an instrument, and more on the ability to push a few buttons in a studio, or have someone do it for you. Notice how the biggest rock songs from the 60s-00s the average song got simpler and simpler until we got to the point of no guitar solos and simple chords while someone sings over them and someone plays a beat. Today's youth in America is just fine with a rapper who can't sing and doesn't know where middle C is, who doesn't write music, just raps over a beat for 3 minutes. Maybe there's something that one could mistake for a chorus.

DT also never got airplay throughout the 2000s, and had many radio-friendly tunes during that era, where rock 'hits' were still a thing until late in the decade from my perspective. I did hear Constant Motion a few times on the NYC Q1043 classic rock station, and each time it was during the Eddie Trunk show on Friday nights. That's not really much exposure, outside of your general fan base.

Besides, what constitutes a 'hit' song? I read one time a couple years back that you pay the stations to play your single, the more you pay, the more they'll play. I'm sure there was something related to the record company, but record companies, for all the bad they did in trying to control artistic directions for bands and artists through the 20th Century they did take risks and give many types of acts a chance to succeed. Part of the problem is illegal downloading, and more recently "streaming" and things like Spotify and Apple Music. These things destroyed the music business for better or worse. Nowadays, a hit is a hit before it enters the audiences ears. The general crowd listening to what's popular now, is not seeking anything else out. Combined with a poor education system in this country, especially in regards to the arts and music, and how our society doesn't care about music like they used to a generation ago, and its easy to see why Dream Theater is not a mainstream act. I still think it's amazing that Pull Me Under was a hit, considering the sound and that grunge was coming in as the new big thing.

Offline spacebard

« Reply #1547 on: April 06, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »
According to Setlist.fm, they played FITL 3 shows in a row, instead of alternating it with Paralyzed. Can anyone confirm?

Yesterday in Montreal, they indeed played Fall into the light.

at 25:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDsAYboHjw

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1548 on: April 06, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »
*snip*

I just realized I posted this here instead of the setlist thread. Sorry :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1549 on: April 06, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
Anyone notice the acoustic intro to Untethered Angel is related to Pale Blue Dot?  The re-occurring solo after the lines " who's out there, to save us from ourselves"  could be played right over the intro to UA and it fits musically.   Possible nugget?? :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #1550 on: April 06, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
DoT probably has more radio friendly songs than most DT albums or maybe any of them for that matter.  I realize DT gets a lot of internet radio play but what about local radio stations?  I never listen to the radio, so does anyone know if some of the new songs are getting radio play at all?
Not around here (Seattle/Pacific Northwest area).  I haven't heart DT on the radio since 1993,  which is a bummer since they have quite a few radio friendly songs since then. 

I don't know if the label has much clout with mainstream radio since they mostly focus on prog/metal  music. I wish insideoutmusic would push harder to get Distance Over Time on some hard rock stations around the country, but like I said I doubt they have enough clout to do so.

It seems an absolute crime that songs from this album (d/t) aren't getting airplay, Dream Theater deserves better than that!   I know they would have a bigger following here in the states if they did. Plus they would sell out bigger venues.

It all has to do with contracts between radio stations and mainstream record companies.  :tdwn

Hit radio stations aren't playing Dream Theater, in part because rock and metal are 'over' as a mainstream source of music. Like jazz before it, it will live on (obviously, and imo most of the best jazz came after it wasn't mainstream anymore) but is underground. New songs aren't going to be filled with riffs, or even people playing instruments for the most part. Mainstream music has been dumbed down more and more each decade, a band like Dream Theater is only going to expand minds, it's any wonder that The Mars Volta had a relatively big hit back in 2005/6, "The Widow" but the rest of their music sounds nothing like that song, but they kind of fit a particular sound that was popular in the rock spectrum at that time. The 'popular' music keeps getting simpler, less reliant on anyone playing an instrument, and more on the ability to push a few buttons in a studio, or have someone do it for you. Notice how the biggest rock songs from the 60s-00s the average song got simpler and simpler until we got to the point of no guitar solos and simple chords while someone sings over them and someone plays a beat. Today's youth in America is just fine with a rapper who can't sing and doesn't know where middle C is, who doesn't write music, just raps over a beat for 3 minutes. Maybe there's something that one could mistake for a chorus.

DT also never got airplay throughout the 2000s, and had many radio-friendly tunes during that era, where rock 'hits' were still a thing until late in the decade from my perspective. I did hear Constant Motion a few times on the NYC Q1043 classic rock station, and each time it was during the Eddie Trunk show on Friday nights. That's not really much exposure, outside of your general fan base.

Besides, what constitutes a 'hit' song? I read one time a couple years back that you pay the stations to play your single, the more you pay, the more they'll play. I'm sure there was something related to the record company, but record companies, for all the bad they did in trying to control artistic directions for bands and artists through the 20th Century they did take risks and give many types of acts a chance to succeed. Part of the problem is illegal downloading, and more recently "streaming" and things like Spotify and Apple Music. These things destroyed the music business for better or worse. Nowadays, a hit is a hit before it enters the audiences ears. The general crowd listening to what's popular now, is not seeking anything else out. Combined with a poor education system in this country, especially in regards to the arts and music, and how our society doesn't care about music like they used to a generation ago, and its easy to see why Dream Theater is not a mainstream act. I still think it's amazing that Pull Me Under was a hit, considering the sound and that grunge was coming in as the new big thing.

Metal has been “over” many times and it always comes back, there will always be people who want to listen to aggressive loud guitar music and rock out, there just needs to be a new superstar band to do it. We’re still largely relying on old bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica to headline major metal festivals and that needs to change. Not sure who’s going to do it but someone will eventually come along.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1551 on: April 07, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1114972807782387713

Now Dream Theater has their own beer. Pretty cool. It seems to be the popular thing to do right now. I’ve never had any band beers except Iron Maiden’s, which was good. If it’s NY and order only, I won’t be able to ever have it since you can’t ship beer to MN, but still a cool opportunity.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1552 on: April 07, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/dreamtheaternet/status/1114972807782387713

Now Dream Theater has their own beer. Pretty cool. It seems to be the popular thing to do right now. I’ve never had any band beers except Iron Maiden’s, which was good. If it’s NY and order only, I won’t be able to ever have it since you can’t ship beer to MN, but still a cool opportunity.

I am in Nevada and you can ship anything here! :biggrin:

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1553 on: April 07, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
Metal has been “over” many times and it always comes back, there will always be people who want to listen to aggressive loud guitar music and rock out, there just needs to be a new superstar band to do it. We’re still largely relying on old bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica to headline major metal festivals and that needs to change. Not sure who’s going to do it but someone will eventually come along.

I think when people say a music genre is "over" or "dead" they really mean it's no longer "popular".  Nothing is ever "over" and seeing the crowds at the live rock/metal shows (especially in Europe and Japan) is testament to that.

We'd just be happier if mainstream music wasn't one-dimensional like it is nowadays and gave a more diversified landscape like back in the 80s when they'd play a bit of everything and have live interviews and performances from all across the board.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1554 on: April 12, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »
Been a few weeks now. I'll say It's probably my favorite JP
album. The solos and riffs are just amazing.

The opening riff in PBD is so addicting...I wish a whole song could be
built around it. Every time I hear the song I wish that riff kept going.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1555 on: April 12, 2019, 03:46:35 PM »
Anyone notice the acoustic intro to Untethered Angel is related to Pale Blue Dot?  The re-occurring solo after the lines " who's out there, to save us from ourselves"  could be played right over the intro to UA and it fits musically.   Possible nugget?? :coolio

Ha! No way! I was thinking that exact thing tonight! I had just listened to the UA intro then went for a run and realized I was humming the PBD part in my head over the UA intro.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1556 on: April 15, 2019, 12:59:44 PM »
At 5:43 Mangini starts hitting the high hat faster and it's stuck in the left speaker - it's super annoying :D. Every time I hear it it's like scratching a chalkboard or something and I'm always relieved when he stops it a few seconds later. It also sounds louder on earbud headphones.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #1557 on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
After almost 2 months in now. It still is very very strong. I would still put it in the Top 3 with Awake and SFAM. The band has never been tighter! I am glad to hear they are going to record the same way again. I really don't have anything insightful to say.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1558 on: April 16, 2019, 02:12:52 AM »
At 5:43 Mangini starts hitting the high hat faster and it's stuck in the left speaker - it's super annoying :D. Every time I hear it it's like scratching a chalkboard or something and I'm always relieved when he stops it a few seconds later. It also sounds louder on earbud headphones.

You're talking about AWE here? I love that part, so unorthodox and it is slightly offbeat that it really gets you offguard.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1559 on: April 16, 2019, 03:23:41 AM »
Yeah, AWE - forgot to mention it.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #1560 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »
Two months in.. still play the whole thing every other day while working out! PBD did nothing for me at launch but it is growing on me. R137 still does nothing but its OK in the album flow i guess.

I feel that Mangini's serene happiness channels through this record and makes me keep coming back for more.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1561 on: April 17, 2019, 01:30:55 AM »
I know it's barely 2 months in, but I'm surprised by how well this album is aging for me. May be my favorite of the Mangini era thus far. I wouldn't place it in the upper echelon of DT albums personally, but for a group this deep into their career, it's a solid effort.

Initially I was feeling a bit lukewarm on S2N, but in hindsight I really enjoy the drum work towards the latter half of the track, and the only thing I wish is that it had a more grand and explosive pay off. PBD hasn't warmed up to me in the way I would have hoped, however. Some of the vocal lines I feel are delivered a bit awkwardly and as much as I love and admire the subject matter, I was really expecting something more introspective and meditative when I first saw the tracklist revealed.

Standout songs to me are still BW and AWE for sure, and stand up as some of DT's strongest songs of the past decade. I still think the overall flow of the album could have been better, as I feel it doesn't make the grandest of opening and closing statements, but in general the album is a really solid effort from one of my favorite bands of all time.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1562 on: April 17, 2019, 02:14:00 AM »
For me it's weird - there has been so many new releases lately, that d/t has been swamped by it and I rarely listen to it. I say it's weird because I like the album - I like all the songs, the stylistic choices behind it, basically everything about the album, and yet I never come back to it.

Today I have a longer trip than usual 'cause I have stuff to do around the city so I'll probably try and listen to it. Also because whenever it happens, it's a nice and pleasant musical ride from the beginning to the end so I'm puzzled myself as to why I never feel the urge to listen to it anytime I can.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1563 on: April 17, 2019, 03:05:11 AM »
It's been almost 2 months and it still feels fresh and new. Hope the feeling will last.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1564 on: April 17, 2019, 03:42:47 AM »
Having listened to a lot of Evergrey recently in preparation for their show and putting this album on my way back home, the vocals sounded almost buried in the mix.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1565 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
I don't know if it's appropriate to say so, but anyway: When I listened to S2N this morning, I noticed that James' first cue (the spoken parts) reminded me of both Dave Mustaine in some way and the spoken sections of This Dying Soul as well, which I didn't really expect to happen again (for James to use this kind of effect again) And one other thing: I only tend to like one piece on the album and that is Pale Blue Dot.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1566 on: April 17, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »
I haven't played it nearly as much since I saw the live show.    Doesn't mean I don't love it, but I have just been listening to various things.

I considered putting it #4 behind what I consider the big 3 (SFAM, I&W, SDOIT) but the production on Awake is just too amazing to be dethroned. 

I have DOT solidly in at #5 behind the big 3 and awake.   

This now makes 2 straight albums by DT though that surpassed a 90's album (FII) for me and I honestly never through that would happen again.

I have DOT and TA at 5 and 6 with FII at 7 now. 

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1567 on: April 28, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
Sadly, the only piece on the album I always come back to is PBD. So many little details make the album as a whole an unpleasant listening experience to me, which I didn't really fully anticipate. I'm not saying anyone who loves the album (and they're many it seems to me) is wrong or anything like that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:30:31 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1568 on: April 28, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »

Also hate that part in AWE- it sounds like a scratch in a CD. Like I literally thought there was something wrong in the stream/download. Maybe it’s super complex or showing off some technique I’m unaware of but it sounds awful to my ears.

But then again others have been pointing to it as one of their favorite moments, so, to each their own.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #1569 on: April 28, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »

Also hate that part in AWE- it sounds like a scratch in a CD. Like I literally thought there was something wrong in the stream/download. Maybe it’s super complex or showing off some technique I’m unaware of but it sounds awful to my ears.

But then again others have been pointing to it as one of their favorite moments, so, to each their own.
not a scratch compromising the CD, he splits the hihat pattern between two hihats and one of them has that dark raw "scratch" sound.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1570 on: April 29, 2019, 03:32:05 PM »
I don't think it sounds that bad.  It only lasts for 5 secs anyway.  Not a big deal.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #1571 on: May 02, 2019, 07:54:40 PM »
Haven't posted here in a long time, but new DT album compels me to. Just finished my first listen and so far I'm not particularly impressed by it. It's not bad but nothing really stood out to me as spectacular which is extremely rare for me in a DT album. The first 3 tracks of the album kinda bored me, they kinda felt like I've listened to them before and not in a good way. Just kinda dull. Barstool Warrior was decent but I expected more from it since I heard a lot of people say it was their favorite song on the album. Room 137, S2N and At Wits End is where I truly started to enjoy the album. They were memorable and fun to listen to. Out of Reach is easily my least favorite song. Pale Blue Dot I liked and Viper King so far is my favorite song but not sure if it counts since its a bonus track? Of course I do need to listen to it more to truly see how I feel about it but at the moment it ranks towards the bottom of my album rankings.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1572 on: May 03, 2019, 12:18:21 AM »
Haven't posted here in a long time, but new DT album compels me to. Just finished my first listen and so far I'm not particularly impressed by it. It's not bad but nothing really stood out to me as spectacular which is extremely rare for me in a DT album. The first 3 tracks of the album kinda bored me, they kinda felt like I've listened to them before and not in a good way. Just kinda dull. Barstool Warrior was decent but I expected more from it since I heard a lot of people say it was their favorite song on the album. Room 137, S2N and At Wits End is where I truly started to enjoy the album. They were memorable and fun to listen to. Out of Reach is easily my least favorite song. Pale Blue Dot I liked and Viper King so far is my favorite song but not sure if it counts since its a bonus track? Of course I do need to listen to it more to truly see how I feel about it but at the moment it ranks towards the bottom of my album rankings.

After one listen? Wow!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1573 on: May 03, 2019, 02:44:12 AM »
Happy that after 2 month in this album is still one of my all time favorite albums from Dream Theater. Not beating SFAM and SDOIT but actually just behind. Only so so song would be Unthered Angel for me but the rest is fantastic and varied songs. Barstool Warrior is still goosebump material after listening to it most likely 100 times. Petrucci said it was a great album to just put on in the car and blast away with, I think he got it!

Sometimes on Spotify after Viper King it will choose a new random song that would fit whatever was playing before and it takes something like The Looking Glass. If I wasn't sure how bad DT12 sounds compared to D/T I think that ones makes it crystal clear.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1574 on: May 03, 2019, 04:27:11 AM »
Of course I do need to listen to it more to truly see how I feel about it but at the moment it ranks towards the bottom of my album rankings.

After one listen? Wow!

He did say "at the moment" though. :P
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。