Author Topic: Keyboard/Midi Controller Help Needed  (Read 427 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Keyboard/Midi Controller Help Needed
« on: November 02, 2023, 07:54:41 AM »
My 14 year old son is a pretty talented piano player and I'm wanting to get him a midi controller keyboard for Christmas to hook up to Garage band on our ipad. I want to start out with a basic, cheap set-up that he can learn with and then expand his kit over time if needed. I'm a little at a loss for what I need. Is the keyboard and Garage Band all he really needs to get started? Obviously speakers and/or headphones would be nice. Hope there are some people here that can provide some insight.

As far as the keyboard goes, he wants full 88 keys and is adamant about having weighted keys. This is the keyboard I'm looking at right now. Any thoughts on this? Do these types of keyboards make sound on their own, or do they always need to be plugged into another system, like Garage Band, and have external speakers?

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-88-MK3-Synthesizers/dp/B08HDCY2D3/ref=pd_sbs_sccl_2_2/139-0942954-4459500?content-id=amzn1.sym.9e4bb0e3-6517-4128-9279-264b7296d379&pd_rd_i=B08HDCY2D3&th=1

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I'm not knowledgeable at all about this stuff.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Keyboard/Midi Controller Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 07:58:25 AM »
The simple answer is, 'yes,' all you need is your device, the app, and a controller.

Him being 14, I suspect if you just toss the controller at him, he will figure it out right quick.

The one you linked is super nice...you could easily spend half that and he would be good to go.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 08:38:15 AM »
The simple answer is, 'yes,' all you need is your device, the app, and a controller.

Him being 14, I suspect if you just toss the controller at him, he will figure it out right quick.

The one you linked is super nice...you could easily spend half that and he would be good to go.

Any specific suggestions? I'm not finding anything cheaper with weighted keys, though admittedly don't really know what to search for.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 08:46:53 AM »

Any specific suggestions? I'm not finding anything cheaper with weighted keys, though admittedly don't really know what to search for.

Ahh...I didn't catch the 'weighted keys' part when I first read your post.

No, unfortunately, if that's a must, then I think you are stuck in that pricepoint.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 12:14:46 PM »

Weighted keys. 

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 12:48:20 PM »
Yeah, you can't go wrong with M-Audio. Probably the best inexpensive controller. Most other controllers will start to get much more expensive very quickly. I get it that he wants an 88 key controller, but it honestly might be a good idea to get 61 keys instead (just my opinion).

Only reason why I would suggest something different is because features and capabilities. While that particular M-Audio is good, it is limited for a midi controller, also important to note that it says "Semi-Weighted", which is not the same as weighted. Since he already plays piano, the difference between semi-weighted and weighted is something he might notice.

I'm far removed from my retail days of selling keyboards, but two brands you can look into as well is Arturia and Novation.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 12:57:13 PM »

Weighted keys. 

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Smart ass :lol

I get it that he wants an 88 key controller, but it honestly might be a good idea to get 61 keys instead (just my opinion).
I was trying to convince him of that too. How often do you really use those top and bottom keys? I think he's coming around to the idea. As much for space as anything since this will likely be in his bedroom. Any other particular features that are nice to have that the M-Audio one doesn't have?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
Is not so much how often you use those keys, but whether they are available or not. The great thing about controllers is that you can transpose the keys, so that if you want to play something an octave or two higher/lower, you just press a button and the notes are automatically available.

As for features, it depends on what he wants to do with it. If he is looking to use it as a piano/keyboard, the M-audio works perfectly fine. As I said on my first post, you can't go wrong with that one. But if he is looking to experiment with sounds and effects, there are better controllers out there. Honestly, and not to try to take the "easy way out", but it might be good to just take him to a music store and have him try out an instrument or two. If there is a Guitar Center or Sam Ash near you, I would pay them visit.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 06:18:55 AM »
Is not so much how often you use those keys, but whether they are available or not. The great thing about controllers is that you can transpose the keys, so that if you want to play something an octave or two higher/lower, you just press a button and the notes are automatically available.

As for features, it depends on what he wants to do with it. If he is looking to use it as a piano/keyboard, the M-audio works perfectly fine. As I said on my first post, you can't go wrong with that one. But if he is looking to experiment with sounds and effects, there are better controllers out there. Honestly, and not to try to take the "easy way out", but it might be good to just take him to a music store and have him try out an instrument or two. If there is a Guitar Center or Sam Ash near you, I would pay them visit.
At this point, honestly, none of us really know what a controller is capable of. He loves to play and figure songs out by ear. Particularly movie scores. He just wants a way to be able to record them and to layer different instruments.