Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 57485 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #805 on: June 17, 2023, 06:39:16 PM »
Im off to Boston on Monday for a work confernece. Not much time to sightsee but the hotel is right in the thick of things, so hopefully I have time to at least wander around a bit.

Where are you staying? Not stalking lol.
Intercontinental Boston

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #806 on: June 17, 2023, 06:42:37 PM »
Im off to Boston on Monday for a work confernece. Not much time to sightsee but the hotel is right in the thick of things, so hopefully I have time to at least wander around a bit.

Intercontinental Boston

Nice, right down by the water. It's awesome there. Yeah, lots to get to in walking distance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #807 on: June 17, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »
7 minute walk to the Trillium brewery/Restaurant if you are into beer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #808 on: June 17, 2023, 07:56:48 PM »
I am, but most of my meals are accounted for already. The last night I'm on my own and could check that out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: June 17, 2023, 08:02:17 PM »
You won't be disappointed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #810 on: June 17, 2023, 11:19:44 PM »

Well...how 'bout that.  It's right next door to where I'll be in August!  Adding it to my list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: June 18, 2023, 08:47:46 AM »

Intercontinental Boston

Awesome hotel.  I stayed there on my last Boston trip to see Aerosmith at Fenway.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: June 18, 2023, 09:01:14 AM »
Heading to Florida tomorrow to visit my brother and catch the Clearwater Dreamsonic show. While not a big trip I always love going back home and eating at all my favorite spots.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: June 18, 2023, 03:41:02 PM »

Well...how 'bout that.  It's right next door to where I'll be in August!  Adding it to my list.

Nice!!  I want reports if you two go. I haven't had a beer in 6 months. August I can't have a little. Not like I used too.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #814 on: June 19, 2023, 07:41:54 AM »
After almost 13 hours of travel, I made it to San Diego last night. I was immediately rewarded with maybe the best tacos of my life :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: June 19, 2023, 12:07:37 PM »
San Diego has some killer food, amazing weather too.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #816 on: June 19, 2023, 06:23:33 PM »
Sitting at Trillium now sipping on a nice IPA and waiting for my dinner. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: June 19, 2023, 06:28:55 PM »
Awesome!  Cool place too. The have a rooftop lounge but it's too cold right now, I'd bet.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #818 on: June 21, 2023, 06:06:36 PM »
Not sure if a work travel post counts but I went from lower Hudson Valley New York to Providence Rhode Island today and I must say I really like how pleasant the highways in Connecticut are. A three hour ride down through New York City in Long Island or through New Jersey? There's something a bit depressing about it but heading down through I84, I691, Route 3, Route 2, and I395 there's just something pleasant and cozy for lack of a better word where I don't mind the long travel. Of all the neighboring states CT is definitely my favorite as far as work travel goes.

Also I hope no one was hurt in the absolute inferno of a car fire I saw this morning near the I84/I691 exit this morning.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #819 on: June 22, 2023, 07:51:52 AM »
I'll be going to Korea and Japan for work/holidays in a couple of weeks. Should be good!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: June 22, 2023, 07:55:18 AM »
Not sure if a work travel post counts but I went from lower Hudson Valley New York to Providence Rhode Island today and I must say I really like how pleasant the highways in Connecticut are. A three hour ride down through New York City in Long Island or through New Jersey? There's something a bit depressing about it but heading down through I84, I691, Route 3, Route 2, and I395 there's just something pleasant and cozy for lack of a better word where I don't mind the long travel. Of all the neighboring states CT is definitely my favorite as far as work travel goes.

Also I hope no one was hurt in the absolute inferno of a car fire I saw this morning near the I84/I691 exit this morning.

I must live in an alternate universe.  Driving through CT is an absolute nightmare  :lol (this is not in defense of NJ)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #821 on: June 22, 2023, 08:15:06 AM »

I must live in an alternate universe.  Driving through CT is an absolute nightmare  :lol (this is not in defense of NJ)
Outside of Hartford and away from the water I've generally enjoyed driving around CT. Down by the coast it's kind of awful, and my limited experience with Hartford was simply typical city traffic. Everywhere else I've driven has been quite pleasant. Even driving through smallish towns was alright.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: June 22, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »

Outside of Hartford and away from the water I've generally enjoyed driving around CT. Down by the coast it's kind of awful, and my limited experience with Hartford was simply typical city traffic. Everywhere else I've driven has been quite pleasant. Even driving through smallish towns was alright.

The roads in the state are terrible.  The traffic is terrible.  Yeah, I've had some nice drives and it can be scenic with the rolling hills and the coast, but no one from this part of the world speaks well of driving in CT from my experience until this morning

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #823 on: June 22, 2023, 08:23:14 AM »
lol I actually don't mind driving through CT as long as I stay away from I95 (which from NYC is hard to avoid).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 09:19:00 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #824 on: June 22, 2023, 08:31:13 AM »
I like CT highways because the cops don't seem to give a shit about anything until you crack 90mph or so. Whenever I have to drive on highways anywhere else, I find myself going ballistic over how 'slow' everyone is going.

That being said, I did out the math the other day and calculated I've spent over 6 WAKING MONTHS of my professional life (this isn't counting my childhood) sitting in traffic on 84. The construction and highway projects are never ending. The bulk of 84 is 60ish years old, and I don't think any of the engineers or city planners factored in its inevitable maintenance. They certainly didn't factor in modern traffic. 84 was designed to handle 55K cars a day and it sees about 140K (that was pre-covid numbers).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: July 18, 2023, 10:46:15 PM »
Going to Hawaii with the family this weekend. BiL's parents got some coin, so they are renting two rooms at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club for everyone. My wife's family is from rural big Island Hawaii, and we usually stay at this same old VRBO there. Much more rustic, and making the same trip nearly every summer has gotten old. It will be a nice change to stay in someplace upscale and resort-y.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #826 on: July 19, 2023, 01:38:15 AM »
I'm one month away from my trip to Lisbon! first time in Portugal, first time so far west!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #827 on: July 19, 2023, 01:47:23 AM »
I'm one month away from my trip to Lisbon! first time in Portugal, first time so far west!

Literally sitting in the Lisbon airport. Just spent two weeks in Portugal for my honeymoon. Loved it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #828 on: July 19, 2023, 03:18:10 AM »

Literally sitting in the Lisbon airport. Just spent two weeks in Portugal for my honeymoon. Loved it.

Wow, great! did you tour a lot of Portugal? I'm going specifically to Lisbon so that's where I'll be staying, but I plan to visit also nearby places - most definitively I'm NOT gonna miss the ocean at Cabo de Roca, then also Sintra and Cascais are in the plans.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #829 on: July 19, 2023, 06:49:02 AM »
Going to Hawaii with the family this weekend. BiL's parents got some coin, so they are renting two rooms at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club for everyone. My wife's family is from rural big Island Hawaii, and we usually stay at this same old VRBO there. Much more rustic, and making the same trip nearly every summer has gotten old. It will be a nice change to stay in someplace upscale and resort-y.

I swear I saw a headline a day or two ago about a big storm coming towards hawaii? Hope I'm misremembering.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #830 on: July 19, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »

I swear I saw a headline a day or two ago about a big storm coming towards hawaii? Hope I'm misremembering.

Hurricane Chris.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #831 on: July 19, 2023, 10:00:30 AM »
I'm flying into Zurich on 10/9 and flying home from Rome on 10/21. Other than a ride on the Bernina Express to get from one country to another, we have nothing else planned.

The closest I've been to either of these places is Ireland. I'm excited.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #832 on: July 19, 2023, 10:04:24 AM »
Off to Disney World on Saturday - we haven't taken a family vacation for over two years.  I'm excited, and haven't been to Disney since 2001.  The advances in technology that they have incorporated are really neat (bracelets/mobile apps that open your hotel room door, check you into the parks or rides, order food, etc.).  Our kids are also getting really excited for their first time flying on an airplane and first time going to Disney. 

I know it will be long, crazy, busy and exhausting, but I can't wait to spend 5 days with my kids and just have fun and make memories with them. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #833 on: July 19, 2023, 10:31:10 AM »
I'm flying into Zurich on 10/9 and flying home from Rome on 10/21. Other than a ride on the Bernina Express to get from one country to another, we have nothing else planned.

I assume you're riding from Chur to Tirano? I rode the opposite direction and it was spectacular. Leaving Tirano the gradual change in climate as you climbed the mountain was fascinating. It was all so lush and green down low, gradually becoming brown as you switch back and forth up the mountain, and then eventually white as you reached the top. It was also cool that I had the entire back car to myself to run around and take pictures from all directions. That train ride was one of the highlights of my trip. I also road the glacier express and it was nowhere near as interesting.

If you haven't already planned it all out, consider crashing a night in Kandersteg. It's about 30 clicks S of Interlaken, and one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Interlaken honestly sucked. Kandersteg was amazing and close enough to be a solid alternative.

For what it's worth, my approach to Italy was to spend days in the big cities and nights in places outside of town. You'll get better hotels for cheaper, and you'll damn sure eat better dining with the locals rather than with your fellow tourists. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #834 on: July 19, 2023, 10:50:15 AM »

I assume you're riding from Chur to Tirano? I rode the opposite direction and it was spectacular. Leaving Tirano the gradual change in climate as you climbed the mountain was fascinating. It was all so lush and green down low, gradually becoming brown as you switch back and forth up the mountain, and then eventually white as you reached the top. It was also cool that I had the entire back car to myself to run around and take pictures from all directions. That train ride was one of the highlights of my trip. I also road the glacier express and it was nowhere near as interesting.

If you haven't already planned it all out, consider crashing a night in Kandersteg. It's about 30 clicks S of Interlaken, and one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Interlaken honestly sucked. Kandersteg was amazing and close enough to be a solid alternative.

For what it's worth, my approach to Italy was to spend days in the big cities and nights in places outside of town. You'll get better hotels for cheaper, and you'll damn sure eat better dining with the locals rather than with your fellow tourists.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into those.

We're torn about how to do Italy. I would love to not have to rent a car as we move through it, but that'll handicap us a bit in terms of where we can go. I love driving and happily did over 1000 miles in Ireland with a 5spd Peugeot, but driving around the cities of Italy looks like nightmare fuel to me. It's like Boston during rush hour except I have the added stresses of being in a rental overseas.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #835 on: July 19, 2023, 11:13:21 AM »
Off to Disney World on Saturday - we haven't taken a family vacation for over two years.  I'm excited, and haven't been to Disney since 2001.  The advances in technology that they have incorporated are really neat (bracelets/mobile apps that open your hotel room door, check you into the parks or rides, order food, etc.).  Our kids are also getting really excited for their first time flying on an airplane and first time going to Disney. 

I know it will be long, crazy, busy and exhausting, but I can't wait to spend 5 days with my kids and just have fun and make memories with them. 
Have fun!

Plan for the heat, it's super hot here now and it will drain your soul away. I would really have a semi-structured plan of all the rides you plan to hit for sure on each day. The app is really good for planning plus ordering food ahead of time to skip the lines. I don't like how they switched it now to the Genie plus model, the previous FastPass was excellent and a well oiled machine. Now even if you pay for the extra perks, it's a pain to schedule ride you want to skip the lines for. That's how it was last year, haven't gone this year yet. Waiting for the heat to die down to go. If you're staying at the resorts or hotels attached to the parks that's super advantageous as you can go back and forth and you'll have the extended hours.

Enjoy the trip!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #836 on: July 19, 2023, 12:00:34 PM »

Have fun!

Plan for the heat, it's super hot here now and it will drain your soul away. I would really have a semi-structured plan of all the rides you plan to hit for sure on each day. The app is really good for planning plus ordering food ahead of time to skip the lines. I don't like how they switched it now to the Genie plus model, the previous FastPass was excellent and a well oiled machine. Now even if you pay for the extra perks, it's a pain to schedule ride you want to skip the lines for. That's how it was last year, haven't gone this year yet. Waiting for the heat to die down to go. If you're staying at the resorts or hotels attached to the parks that's super advantageous as you can go back and forth and you'll have the extended hours.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks!

We won't be doing too many big rides.  My wife isn't a fan of rollercoasters, and she and my daughter don't do well with heights.  I'm not paying extra for the Genie/Lightning pass - it's only good for certain big rides.  We're skipping Hollywood Studios, but doing the other 3 parks.  So we'll just play it by ear, walk around and hit the rides we want to hit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #837 on: July 19, 2023, 12:13:32 PM »

Plan for the heat, it's super hot here now and it will drain your soul away. I would really have a semi-structured plan of all the rides you plan to hit for sure on each day.

We used to go every August, and yes it was hot. But honestly, in August, it's just as hot here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #838 on: July 19, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into those.
I was in Kandersteg in the Spring, so it had a natural advantage. I suspect Fall would still be pretty cool, and since it's a ski town, it'll be pretty low-key in October. I was just looking for a place to crash after a long train ride, and somebody recommended it. Once I looked more into it I wound up spending a couple of days before moving on to Interlaken. It became one of my most anticipated destinations. When you walk in from the bahnhof you pop out in this giant glade between the mountains, and the cliff face to your right is covered with waterfalls (again, it was Spring, no telling about Fall). That notch between the mountains is a 30 minute hike up to one of those crystal blue lakes nestled in a crook 1200' above the town.

Everybody wants to visit Interlaken, but unless you're backpacking and looking for hostels and titty-bars, little towns like this are where it's at.

We're torn about how to do Italy. I would love to not have to rent a car as we move through it, but that'll handicap us a bit in terms of where we can go. I love driving and happily did over 1000 miles in Ireland with a 5spd Peugeot, but driving around the cities of Italy looks like nightmare fuel to me. It's like Boston during rush hour except I have the added stresses of being in a rental overseas.
I can tell you that the roads in Rome and Milan were absolute insanity. I remember thinking that I'd have a ball driving my E30 there, but only if it were incredibly well insured. The thing is, the parts of Italy that you really want to drive around in are the parts that everybody wants to drive around in. Places like the Amalfi Coast, which will be bumper to bumper traffic with tourists. Since you're already hep to the Burnina Express you've presumably already looked into rail passes. Italy's a great place to get around by rail, at least insofar as my interests were concerned. High speed trains will get you between big cities cheap and easily (and you can hop off in small places to eat or look around). Smaller trains will get you to the other places.

Prepare to be disappointed with Rome.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #839 on: July 19, 2023, 01:14:41 PM »
Hey, Rome - lived as a tourist for 4-5 days - is actually awesome. But visiting it in the middle of summer? good luck not falling on the floor from heat exhaustion.

The fame it has is absolutely deserved, the "greatest hits" are really cool. What bring the atmosphere down is transportation (not worth of a capital) and tourists traps (restaurants mostly). Also the main train station isn't exactly super safe.