Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 58009 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2022, 01:15:56 PM »
Not worth it. I'm not going out to dinner for bread. What kind of meal is that? :lol

Although If I ever find myself at an Olive Garden again, I'm going to ask them to serve me my bread sticks french toast style.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2022, 04:39:00 PM »
Seriously I am watching the desolation of smaug right this minute where Thorin and Gandalf are talking at the beginning  in prancing pony and they are ripping into delicious bread and cheese. I had to go get myself bread.  Bread butter and cheese.  Mmmmm. 
Anyways continue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »
Ugh, when I was in Amsterdam last month, I checked into my hotel and the toilet wouldn't stop running (it was already prefilled with piss when I got into the room, so flushed and it just didnt stop).  I complained and got a new room and the same thing happened.  I told them I wouldn't be able to sleep in such a room so I told them to cancel my reservation and I will stay somewhere else.  They obliged after going to my room with me and then checking a third room and finding the same problem.  Well, doing my expense report from that business trip and low and behold, they charged me for the entire stay  >:( Seems like I will have to deal with long phone calls to get that refunded come monday, I didn't have the patience to do that before I left work today.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2022, 12:50:11 AM »
What hotel was that?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2022, 07:46:14 AM »
That sucks Cram, back when I was traveling for work our company would handle discrepancies. Last time I was in houston I got charged for someone's bar bill, almost $300.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: January 15, 2022, 08:45:19 AM »
That sucks Cram, back when I was traveling for work our company would handle discrepancies. Last time I was in houston I got charged for someone's bar bill, almost $300.

I may have to call up my travel agent, I put in an issue request online with the IHG and I'll see on Monday who I may need to get on the phone. 

What hotel was that?

Holiday Inn Express Schipol

Online pg1067

« Reply #356 on: January 15, 2022, 05:58:07 PM »
I'll be heading to Nashville in a couple weeks for a work conference.

Any suggestions for good BBQ places (or otherwise)?  I'll be in the downtown/arts district area of the city.

Well...my conference in Nashville got cancelled.  We were planning on going to the Predators game on Thursday and, if the Titans played on Saturday, we were going to stay an extra day and go to the game.  Supposedly going to be rescheduled in August.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2022, 01:59:18 AM »
Holiday Inn Express Schipol

Thanks, I know where I'm not staying next time I'm in Amsterdam. :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #358 on: January 16, 2022, 08:11:16 AM »
I'm trying to book a camping trip to Glacier national park this summer. I'm finding it incredibly annoying that the vast majority of campsites are first come first serve and are not reservable.  I'm not driving 18 hours without a reservation and the available sites book up every day instantly. I get on, set up my reservation, and click reserve at the earliest time of day to the second and they're already booked. So frustrating!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 19, 2022, 07:11:30 AM »
Not exactly traveling, but my wife secured a job in Barcelona with her current company and we will be moving there around March. So yeah, I'm starting a new life in a different country which I expect will be far better than my current one. My brother is already living there and one of our best friends is also moving there in a couple of days.
I expect that I will be doing a lot more traveling once I'm there since I will be able to afford it  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2022, 07:14:41 AM »
Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: January 19, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
Yeah, it's both super exciting and frightening at the same time. We've been preparing for this for months, but there are still quite a few things we need to resolve before we can pack our things and go.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2022, 03:01:49 AM »
Not exactly traveling, but my wife secured a job in Barcelona with her current company and we will be moving there around March. So yeah, I'm starting a new life in a different country which I expect will be far better than my current one. My brother is already living there and one of our best friends is also moving there in a couple of days.
I expect that I will be doing a lot more traveling once I'm there since I will be able to afford it  :smiley:

Barcelona is lovely!

I was skeptical about visiting it, everyone was loving it and I was afraid that it was a glorified sea town where people was going just to party and have fun, with maybe the occasional nice building here and there.

I was wrong. Barcelona is beautiful, elegant, captivating and you could take away the sea from it, and it'd still be an amazing town. Enjoy your stay there!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »
Ugh, when I was in Amsterdam last month, I checked into my hotel and the toilet wouldn't stop running (it was already prefilled with piss when I got into the room, so flushed and it just didnt stop).  I complained and got a new room and the same thing happened.  I told them I wouldn't be able to sleep in such a room so I told them to cancel my reservation and I will stay somewhere else.  They obliged after going to my room with me and then checking a third room and finding the same problem.  Well, doing my expense report from that business trip and low and behold, they charged me for the entire stay  >:( Seems like I will have to deal with long phone calls to get that refunded come monday, I didn't have the patience to do that before I left work today.

This has been a headache, I'm using my travel agency from work as the in between of myself and the hotel partly to make them do the work (since we pay for the service) and partly because I can't make international phone calls with my work phone.  So they kept saying that I did in fact stay there since they had a room number associated with my stay... which is true because I did check into two different rooms before saying fuck this hotel and their running water in the bathrooms.  So they asked me to send an email with all my details to the hotel and the manager will review and get back to me.  No word after a few days since I sent the email, so the agency got back in touch with the hotel.  They said they received the email but the manger hasn't been back in to give me the refund.  What a shit experience.  It's becoming a huge waste of time, but I guess the positive is I'm not stuck on the phone with them for hours.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2022, 06:02:21 AM »
We're going to be in Monte Carlo for two days this year during the Grand Prix, and are trying to decide if we want to watch the qualifying rounds on Friday. Has anyone from the forum been? Is it worth the (nearly) thousand dollars to hang out in the grandstands all day? Thoughts?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2022, 05:17:48 PM »
We're going to be in Monte Carlo for two days this year during the Grand Prix, and are trying to decide if we want to watch the qualifying rounds on Friday. Has anyone from the forum been? Is it worth the (nearly) thousand dollars to hang out in the grandstands all day? Thoughts?

I don't think it's worth it to be honest. Saturday and Sunday are the fun ones.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2022, 04:18:19 AM »
Thanks for the input, Nekov. I can see your point, but we went ahead a booked it anyway. Figured it's likely we won't be back that way ever and it might be kinda fun way to spend the day. Hopefully, we'll be able to walk around town a bit if we get bored.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #367 on: March 09, 2022, 09:07:28 AM »
Random question:

Has anyone flown domestically in the US recently? And if so, do you have to show proof of vaccination?

I'm am, but would rather leave the card safely at home if I don't need to bring it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: March 09, 2022, 09:12:15 AM »
Random question:

Has anyone flown domestically in the US recently? And if so, do you have to show proof of vaccination?

I'm am, but would rather leave the card safely at home if I don't need to bring it.

There are no proof of vaccination requirements for domestic travel within the US.  Check your airline to be sure though, maybe it's different, but I've flown a bunch since the pandemic began and only needed to show proof when entering another country (or returning to the US) but never within the US.

As for traveling, heading to Las Vegas Friday morning  :metal :metal so excited, first "real" vacation in awhile.

Online pg1067

« Reply #369 on: March 09, 2022, 09:16:31 AM »
Random question:

I last flew last June.  My wife flew within the last couple weeks.  Neither time was any vaccination-related info required.  In fact, the only vaccination/testing requirement I've heard of was for Hawaii.  My boss was supposed to go to Hawaii sometime in fall 2020.  He had to have a negative test result within X days before the flight, but he didn't get his results in time, so he missed his flight.  He did the same trip the following year around the same time, and the requirement was still in place (even though he is vaxed).

Do a google search for "[name of state] travel vaccination or testing requirement" and you'll get what you need.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #370 on: March 09, 2022, 09:23:46 AM »
I'm heading to Ireland for a week in early April for work and will have a couple days for sightseeing. Any must see or do things that anyone would recommend? I think I'll be flying into and out of Dublin and the work related stuff will be in Galway.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #371 on: March 09, 2022, 09:53:56 AM »
Random question:

Depending on where you go you might want to tote it along anyway. If nothing else be sure and have a picture of it on your phone.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #372 on: March 09, 2022, 08:52:43 PM »
We managed to do two road trips during the pandemic, first in fall of 2019 to Salem/several points in Massachusetts, and then post-vaccine we did a tour to see some sights and friends through Virginia, Western PA, and New York.

Now on the seemingly immediate horizon are the first two "back to normal" trips. Flying down to Florida for RoSfest in a few weeks, and then not long after getting back from that is the big one. Fly to Nashville, have a day and a half there leading into MorseFest just North of that, which then leads to Cruise to the Edge. If all goes well then I will get off the ship Saturday morning, fly home, and catch Thank You Scientist in Harrisburg that night. Then Sunday, if I feel up to it, will be John 5 near home. Then that coming Tuesday is Haken/Symphony X. After so much time at home that stretch is going to be... something. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2022, 01:25:52 AM »
I arrived at Barcelona a week ago and have been working on getting used to the city and looking for furniture and home appliances for the new appartment. My brother is unemployed at the time so he has been spending a lot of time with me which is helping me quite a bit.
I'm also looking for a job but that will take some time since I haven't finished my paperwork yet. But I'm enjoying the unemployed life to be honest. I tried to get my wife to support us both but she was not very keen on the idea  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #374 on: March 10, 2022, 08:15:27 AM »
Question for the LA peeps: Is there any way that parking isn't a nightmare for a big show at Staples and a bigger show at the Coliseum? I recall from the super bowl thread that it was going to be godawful. Any way to make it less so?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: March 10, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »
Question for the LA peeps: Is there any way that parking isn't a nightmare for a big show at Staples and a bigger show at the Coliseum? I recall from the super bowl thread that it was going to be godawful. Any way to make it less so?

Anguyen usually talks about the parking situation for LA concerts in the concerts thread, I'd bet he would be able to answer your questions.  I drove to Staples once for an event and I was able to find parking a a garage nearby that wasn't an issue.  Traffic getting to the venue was a PITA though.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #376 on: March 10, 2022, 09:04:00 AM »

Anguyen usually talks about the parking situation for LA concerts in the concerts thread, I'd bet he would be able to answer your questions.  I drove to Staples once for an event and I was able to find parking a a garage nearby that wasn't an issue.  Traffic getting to the venue was a PITA though.
We talkin twenty bucks or 50 bucks? Trying to budget for this.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: March 10, 2022, 09:09:33 AM »

We talkin twenty bucks or 50 bucks? Trying to budget for this.

I don't remember but thinking it was less than or around 20 back then, maybe 4 years ago. I don't think I would have paid 50, at that point just uber. I was coming from work only like 10 miles away. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #378 on: March 10, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »

The Super Bowl was in Inglewood.  I haven't been anywhere near SoFi since it was built, but it was built on property that made overflow parking at the neighboring Foum easy.  Thus, unless they built a bunch of nearby parking, I imagine it's an expensive nightmare.

The Arena formerly known as Staples Center is in downtown.  Parking has never been a problem.  In my opinion, the best lot that won't cost more than $20 (unless it's the NBA Finals or something like that) is at 888 S. Figueroa, which is less than a half mile walk north of Staples (and has the added benefit of having both a Denny's and a Fatburger in the building).  The other option is to park at Union Station and take the Metro.  I believe parking at Union Station is free, and the Metro will cost less than any parking lot.

I haven't been to anything at or near the Coliseum in a LONG time.  It's downtown adjacent, two miles south of Staples.  Parking always used to be AWFUL (I once parked in someone's backyard), and I would absolutely take the Metro.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #379 on: March 10, 2022, 10:19:09 AM »

Well, for me, I have connections where I get validated parking at the lots near the Crypt House and LA Live, so that hasn't been as big as an issue for me in comparison to other places (like parking near the Forum and SoFi Stadium).  As for going to shows at the Coliseum or Banc of California Stadium, I would go with what PG said.  I don't know what it was like to park at the lot near the Fatburger and Denny's, but if you have the time to spend, it's probably more cost-efficient to take the Metro and head south there.  I did that for the Iron Maiden show in 2019.  Didn't take the Metro on the way back since for some odd reason, I had massive cramps as I got to my seat and couldn't stand at all during the show and had to resort to taking a Lyft (walking from the nearby station to the USC area was a pretty lengthy walk).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: March 10, 2022, 10:54:21 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys.  :tup
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #381 on: March 10, 2022, 11:03:59 AM »
I'm hitting Austin for a long weekend next weekend. Had to use a flight credit from March 2020 before the end of this month and Leprous and DT are both playing Austin within a 3 day span. I'll fly in Saturday afternoon, catch Leprous Saturday night, spend Sunday and Monday eating meat and drinking beer, Monday night is the DT show, and then fly home on Tuesday.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: March 10, 2022, 11:57:26 AM »
I'm hitting Austin for a long weekend next weekend. Had to use a flight credit from March 2020 before the end of this month and Leprous and DT are both playing Austin within a 3 day span. I'll fly in Saturday afternoon, catch Leprous Saturday night, spend Sunday and Monday eating meat and drinking beer, Monday night is the DT show, and then fly home on Tuesday.

Funny how in your home state DT/Leprous also played within a 3 night span  :lol  I can't imagine there being less people at Leprous than there were in Asbury Park though, felt like a private show.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #383 on: March 10, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »
You should take the time to drive out to Taylor, Tx to hit up Louie Meuller's. I think it's about a half hour, and most of it is rural Texas which is an interesting thing. Quite different from the rural parts up in your neck of the woods. As far as Hill Country BBQ goes, it's been a top 3 place for over 50 years, and deservedly so.
E.F. Benson

Online pg1067

« Reply #384 on: March 10, 2022, 03:11:59 PM »
You should take the time to drive out to Taylor, Tx to hit up Louie Meuller's. I think it's about a half hour, and most of it is rural Texas which is an interesting thing. Quite different from the rural parts up in your neck of the woods. As far as Hill Country BBQ goes, it's been a top 3 place for over 50 years, and deservedly so.

And, if you happen to be a Friends fan, there's another reason to visit Taylor, TX:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yemen+Rd,+Taylor,+TX+76574/@30.5896906,-97.4401429,17.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8644ddfe5076ef75:0x94d9ff7e03b58c85!8m2!3d30.5897009!4d-97.4418167?hl=en