Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 254683 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The "Apple Will Not Surprise Me Today" Thread
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:25 PM »
I think it's got potential. Apple will iterate and make it better, quickly, and developers have a really interesting new plaything.

To me this is really the only thing that sets the iPhone and no doubt the iPad apart from other similar devices. It's not that there's anything special about the technology, it's that third party developers care enough to make a ton of innovative programs for it. A touchscreen phone in itself doesn't appeal to me at all. But throw in the fact that it can be a musical instrument, a guitar tuner, a multi track recorder, a game console, and suddenly the deal looks pretty sweet. Just don't try typing more than two characters on it, lol.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »
Dare I ask whether it has phone functionality? And if so, how you use it like a phone?

rumborak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYLMk8xplqw&feature=related
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2010, 12:18:23 AM »
It can't multitask? As long as it doesn't have this function, the iPad will never have a chance of being an adequate laptop surrogate.

Still, as I said before, its potential shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed because of it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »
Can't multi-task? Jeeeeez. Even the Android phones can multi-task.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2010, 12:26:08 AM »
Can't multi-task? Jeeeeez. Even the Android phones can multi-task.

In my opinion, multi-tasking on a smartphone, while being a very supportive feature, isn't as necessary as on a tablet PC. Sure, sometimes it bugs me that the iPhone doesn't have this ability, but I can get over it. On a tablet PC, however, I consider it essential, since it should contain the same functional basics as a laptop/PC.

Mentlegen.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »
Trust me, I agree with you.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2010, 04:31:21 AM »
Honestly, this was just a disappointment for me. I expected some different design, but this is basically a fu**ing iPhone enlarged version. Screw you apple. Though it's cheaper than I expected.  :P
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:07 AM »
So I saw that Moses brought the tablet down from the mountain yesterday.  No big woop though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:20:40 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »
come again?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:40 PM »
Copy of a reddit interview:

Why? why release essentially a huge ipod touch?

They wanted to hit the market of people who own computers for work but want a recreational device that was larger than an iPod Touch. It's the same market the Wii is hitting-- people who want outrageously simple devices that does a few of the things they care about well.

(Paraphrasing here) What they did was design from the end-user experience backwards. They started by looking at how the people who purchase eBook readers and netbooks interact on a day-to-day with technology, and realized that most people in this group have low interest in learning new technologies, so it doesn't need to replace their usual computers but rather replace everything else they own with a computer.

why no multitasking?

Because they want to give the end user the impression that the few things it does it does very smoothly. To allow it to run multiple software the way most netbooks do means it would slow down the speed by quite a bit. The experience for the end users must be completely flawless. They want to create something that doesn't feel like a computer.

why no flash?

The same reason Apple didn't want flash for the iPhone. (He didn't elaborate].

has apple grown cocky that they feel they can just release anything onto the masses and feel it'll sell?

Quite the opposite. Apple is realizing that the competition from Windows is getting tough, they need to hit the market that neither companies have really touched on (that is, the casual users who might own a PC for work but doesn't have a smartphone) before Windows does. The timing is also geared towards this.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
I love Apple, yet I still think this thing is fucking rediculous.  It, to me, is very much just an enlarged iPhone.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
    why no multitasking?

Because they want to give the end user the impression that the few things it does it does very smoothly. To allow it to run multiple software the way most netbooks do means it would slow down the speed by quite a bit. The experience for the end users must be completely flawless. They want to create something that doesn't feel like a computer.

Suuuure. Only that Android successfully solved the problem, so this explanation doesn't fly. Reality is that they didn't want to write another OS, simple as that.

why no flash?

The same reason Apple didn't want flash for the iPhone. (He didn't elaborate].

Well, Adobe will soon release Flash for Android. So, there you go.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
I am really interested in this. Seeing I only game on consoles now, this would be a good replacement for my laptop, at least in terms of needing something on the go. I'm probable going to wait for the second gen to come out with a price drop, just like everything else Apple has ever released.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »
Apple haters are lame. "Oh no, they make popular products and the media likes to cover them. Let's dismiss everything they do out of hand!"
Not at all, I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I fully admit that they create good stuff and I think the iPhone is great. But this new product is pathetic and it's genuinely hilarious that people are getting so excited about it.

Like Blob says, it's an iPod Touch that is the size of a laptop but can't do as much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »
The name alone allows a part inside of me to be convinced it's actually a joke.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
Like Blob says, it's an iPod Touch that is the size of a laptop but can't do as much.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »

haha.

I don't see the point of this device at all.  I love my itouch but part of the reason is that it fits in my pocket and is very convienient.  This seems like niether plus more money. UPad sounds pretty lame too.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »
I laughed hard at the video, where he is showing off all those features that have been there on the ipod/iphone ever since the first touch screen one!
Look, it rotates the display when you rotate it!
Look, it has a keyboard!
Look, you can press hyperlinks with your finger!

He could have taken out all the old stuff and done that presentation in about 30 secs.
"look, it has a bigger screen than an ipod. That is all."
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »
I still don't understand why they decided to upscale the iPhone OS, instead of down-scaling OS X. A non-multitasking OS in a device of that size is just ridiculous. It was a mere necessity on the iPhone, but on a tablet it's like putting a VW Beetle engine into a Porsche with the thought "it worked really well in the Beetle".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2010, 05:22:34 AM »
 :lol

Quote from one of the comments: "Who's Hitler? :/". I hope he/she was joking :|

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
From Tycho:
That iPad presentation had to be the worst thing I've even seen on on the Apple stage. There is a part where they - I am not making a joke - there is a part where they try to make creating spreadsheets seem awesome. Jilted may be the word. Of course, we're at the second wave of commentary now, the reflexive defense phase, but I've seen this practiced arc too many times to feel its pull. Apple didn't make a case for the device.

The end.

Also, just saw this:

Thinking about it more, I can see a good market for something like this, but in the end you're paying two to three times the price of a netbook for something with far lesser capabilities. Like rumborak said, there's absolutely no reason for this thing not to use OSX, besides Apple not wanting to take the time to actually make a new OS. Netbooks have trouble because they really can't handle full-on OS's. The solution isn't to load one that's designed for a phone.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:06:54 AM by Sigz »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »
:lol That pic is great, although the iPad does actually have a headphone socket.

However, why on earth does it only have mono sound? That's just pathetic, 30 years ago walkmans had stereo sound.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2010, 12:45:36 PM »
However, why on earth does it only have mono sound? That's just pathetic, 30 years ago walkmans had stereo sound.
Tell Apple to reinvent the Walkman!

WAIT!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
:lol That pic is great, although the iPad does actually have a headphone socket.

The pic isn't right - it's in stereo. I was wondering at the lack of USB ports, but then remembered that it's really a glorified phone.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »

The pic isn't right - it's in stereo. I was wondering at the lack of USB ports, but then remembered that it's really a glorified phone.
Apple's website says it has "Mono audio" under the Accessibility heading, so not sure what it means otherwise. https://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2010, 10:52:57 AM »
I was talking about this with a friend, and what mystified him is why Apple would make this product a glorified iPod touch instead of a legitimate computing device in the form of a pad.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »

Apple's website says it has "Mono audio" under the Accessibility heading, so not sure what it means otherwise. https://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
Perhaps it's the speaker?

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »

Perhaps it's the speaker?

I think that's what it's referring to. Under 'Input and Output' it says stereo headphone jack.

Offline TL

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
A friend of mine is excited about this because it has "apps". I tried explaining to him that with other tablets, or with any netbook or laptop, you can get these things called "programs" and that there are far more of those available. That I even have to simplify the argument that much for him is kind of sad.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
A friend of mine is excited about this because it has "apps". I tried explaining to him that with other tablets, or with any netbook or laptop, you can get these things called "programs" and that there are far more of those available. That I even have to simplify the argument that much for him is kind of sad.

:facepalm:

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »
Want to simplfy your argument so even idiots will understand??

I bet there's an app for that.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2010, 12:03:49 AM »
This hysteria about "apps" is totally ridiculous imo. I mean, some of them really seem useful, no doubt, but so many iPhone users (and not just them) just go unnecessarily wild about those.

Mentlegen.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2010, 01:28:34 AM »
Apps on a phone are great.  On the iPad where you view it in the original resolution or pixel-doubled?  Not so great anymore.