Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 254660 times)

Offline adace

Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini
« Reply #3640 on: September 07, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
The iphone 7 looks great but there's no way in hell I'd pay that much just for a phone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3641 on: September 07, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »
Looks like they are including an adapter in the box to connect current headphones to the lightning port. Its a fix I can live with, but I would have liked the headphone jack to have stayed. 

And I don't know about current wireless headphones, but apple are going to sell their own "air buds" that do have a mic so you can have phone calls.

I read that this is a play by apple to have control and proprietary over devices that use the aux port not named headphones.  Such as those nice credit card swipers and other gadgets. Now you will have to buy an apple product to get those to work (not sure if the adapter works on those gadgets).  It's bad for the idea of open source and inventing items based on what you have (AUX is old technology) but that is and has been the apple way for awhile.  Some of my apple friends have already said they will be switching to Samsung on their next phone.  I'll wait and see about that since historically, Apple has been able to get their user base to adapt.  Otherwise, I'm sure the phone will be awesome and great for any iphone user looking to upgrade.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3642 on: September 08, 2016, 06:22:49 AM »
I'm going to hold and see the phone in the store and do some comparing. I think I may be going back to Samsung.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3643 on: September 08, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Good article summing up the headphones discussion around the new iPhone:

https://www.businessinsider.com/airpods-apple-iphone-7-wireless-headphones-explained-faq-2016-9

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3644 on: September 08, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
You know, I would have bought into this if the iPhone 7 had wireless charging only. Then they could say there's no awkward connectors anymore, your would have a smooth, self-contained unit.
But this way, I don't know, it just looks like change for change's sake.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3645 on: September 08, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
You know, I would have bought into this if the iPhone 7 had wireless charging only. Then they could say there's no awkward connectors anymore, your would have a smooth, self-contained unit.
But this way, I don't know, it just looks like change for change's sake.

:lol but seriously, I use the wireless charging for my samsung phone and think it's pretty nice to have the charging stand on my nightstand next to bed.  It works pretty well too.  I always thought it was just a gimmick

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3646 on: September 10, 2016, 02:06:28 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3647 on: September 10, 2016, 04:24:55 AM »
Never in 1,000,000,000e years will I get wireless in ears.

Wireless over the head phones ? Yep.. Of course.

Plus I don't like the 6 and 7 design. Prefer the feel of the chunky 5.

I've had a 5S for 3 years now with no cracks on it and it still works fine.

If the 5 SE is cheap enough on my next contract I may go for that one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3648 on: September 30, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #3649 on: October 01, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »

So not sure where to ask this but I'll post it here and the Android thread. Anyone know why the forum looks so shitty on an Android Chrome? Not going to embed it link's here
https://i.imgur.com/mtXaTXH.png

I have two android devices and looks equally shitty on both. The screenshot above is from a ZTE Zmax 2 using Chrome on 5.1 lollipop and it looks the same on my LG 8.3" VK815 tablet marshmallow 6.0

Compare that to the chrome browser on iOS on my iPhone 6 plus, this is legible.
https://i.imgur.com/CgiHOke.jpg

Any thoughts? ideas? What do android users do for this forum?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3650 on: October 27, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
So they updated the macbook pro's today. They added a touch bar at the top

I feel like the trackpad handles anything I need to do touch related. At this point, I don't see myself using it, but who knows

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3651 on: October 27, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »
A touchbar for emojis?  I hope it's customizable.  Not that I really care, just got a new (well same older model) macbook pro for work as my lease was up on my old one. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3652 on: October 28, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »
A touchbar for emojis?  I hope it's customizable.  Not that I really care, just got a new (well same older model) macbook pro for work as my lease was up on my old one.

It changes based on what you are doing.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3653 on: October 28, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »

I see virtually no added benefit of that outside of an excuse for Apple to charge even more for an already overpriced device.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3654 on: October 28, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »

I see virtually no added benefit of that outside of an excuse for Apple to charge even more for an already overpriced device.

#StandardAppleCriticismOfVirtuallyEveryNewAppleProductFeaturesSinceTheBeginningOfTime

Yeah, Apple products are kinda overpriced, but you get what you pay for. I, personally, think the addition of that touch bar is quite nice. For casual use it's probably not gonna make much of a difference, but with the use of professional applications I can see the bar enhancing the workflow.

In terms of pricing, doesn't it cost the same as the last generation Retina?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3655 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
They also eliminated damn near every port on the device. All it has is Thunderbolt 3, aka USB-C (2 ports on the lesser models, 4 on the pricier ones - gone is the MagSafe adapter, the computer charges over USB-C now). They've effectively forced all consumers, even iPhone 7 users, to purchase adapters to keep their devices useful with the new MacBooks. There is no lightning connector, no USB 3.0 connector, no ethernet connector, and they've eliminated the SD card slot. BGR wrote an article yesterday that said you'd need to spend roughly $260 extra to purchase the necessary adapters required to restore USB, CD, Ethernet, Thunderbolt 2, and Lightning functionality to the laptop.

Out of the box, there is no way to connect a brand new iPhone 7 to a brand new MacBook. Even the Lightning headphones are useless with the new laptops.

That much said, I am in the market for a new MacBook, and given that within the next few weeks I'll be receiving a new Pixel XL, which uses USB-C, I personally wouldn't be tethered to the old ports (with the exception of portable flash drives, really) so it wouldn't kill me. I just find it fascinating that Apple deems it so necessary to "kill off" far from outdated technology. It isn't as if USB 3.0, ethernet, or SD cards are on the way out; they just want to grab as much in licensing fees and extra hardware sales as they can. I do find it somewhat silly that their two flagship devices can't integrate out of the box, though.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3656 on: October 28, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »

#StandardAppleCriticismOfVirtuallyEveryNewAppleProductFeaturesSinceTheBeginningOfTime

Yeah, Apple products are kinda overpriced, but you get what you pay for. I, personally, think the addition of that touch bar is quite nice. For casual use it's probably not gonna make much of a difference, but with the use of professional applications I can see the bar enhancing the workflow.

In terms of pricing, doesn't it cost the same as the last generation Retina?

The old retna without the touchbar was $1299. The new one without the touchbar is $1499. The new one with the touchbar is $1799 (https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/). That's insane for a 13" device. I'm genuinely asking this.. from a professional application standpoint and "enhancing the workflow", what can this touchbar do that couldn't have been done to the same standard and arguably faster with a mouse and keyboard?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:01:49 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3657 on: October 28, 2016, 12:03:48 PM »
I think the touchbar I would need to see and experience with use on the laptop before I say if I'd like it or not.  It seems like a feature thats not necessary, but in real life application, maybe it is useful. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #3658 on: October 28, 2016, 12:10:27 PM »
This article is an interesting take from the pint of view of creative pros and developers: https://bgr.com/2016/10/28/macbook-pro-2016-specs-creative-professionals-developers/

It has been speculated for a while now that Apple would be moving away from the computing space and aligning more with mobile-only. While it might be more lucrative, it will alienate what has been a very loyal, and previously necessary, user base that almost single-handedly kept the company afloat in pre-iPhone history.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3659 on: October 28, 2016, 12:28:46 PM »
The old retna without the touchbar was $1299. The new one without the touchbar is $1499. The new one with the touchbar is $1799 (https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/). That's insane for a 13" device. I'm genuinely asking this.. from a professional application standpoint and "enhancing the workflow", what can this touchbar do that couldn't have been done to the same standard and arguably faster with a mouse and keyboard?

I think the idea is that if you open up Photoshop, the touchbar automatically shifts to frequently used Photoshop tools that you can touch to activate without really moving your hands from the keyboard, or if you open up InDesign, the touchbar does likewise for that program, etc...etc...

Depending on how it actually functions, it could be useful because it would essentially give you quick access to different options depending on the program. As per the usual with Apple, it's more about the interaction with the device, which I can't speak to because obviously I haven't tried this yet.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3660 on: October 28, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »

I think the idea is that if you open up Photoshop, the touchbar automatically shifts to frequently used Photoshop tools that you can touch to activate without really moving your hands from the keyboard, or if you open up InDesign, the touchbar does likewise for that program, etc...etc...

But you can macro that can't you? Now you have to hover your hand over a touch strip with no tactical feedback, find the tool you want and hope you press the right one, just to do what you've been able to do in a split second in photoshop for as long as I can remember.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3661 on: October 28, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »

But you can macro that can't you? Now you have to hover your hand over a touch strip with no tactical feedback, find the tool you want and hope you press the right one, just to do what you've been able to do in a split second in photoshop for as long as I can remember.

Yup, I'm not sure it'll make the user interaction better at all. I'm just saying I'm guessing they clearly think that it will.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: October 28, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »

Photoshop is only one example.  Maybe there are better examples?  I'm not sure, I think it's questionable as to how useful this is vs. how cool it is.  It's definitely cool.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3663 on: October 28, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »

Photoshop is only one example.  Maybe there are better examples?  I'm not sure, I think it's questionable as to how useful this is vs. how cool it is.  It's definitely cool.

What would be really cool would be some kind of eye tracking/gesture to select all of those customizable tools rather than touch configuration. Instead of having the touch strip, just have gesture strip display above or below the main screen, look at the item you want, and right or left eye blink to select it. Your fingers would never have to leave the keys or mouse.

I still don't understand how Apple hasn't released an iPad with a full blown Mac operating system on it. The surface is doing really well, and with the amount of artists that use Mac products, you'd think that monster iPad would be perfect for that.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3664 on: October 28, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
I like the idea of the touchbar actually, but I don't like that it replaces the function keys. As far as enhancing workflow or whatever goes, keyboard shortcuts are important, and without a row of function keys someone using the new Mac would have to constantly switch between using the bar's additional functionality over having it simply display the function key shortcuts. Probably not difficult to do, but I imagine it would get tiresome.

I think it would have been a better idea to simply add the touchbar above the function keys, but Apple seems to be making a habit of taking something out of every new device they design these days.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3665 on: October 29, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Of course they announce the new MacBook Pro a month AFTER i decided to finance a 2013 MacBook Pro when my 2009 MacBook Pro died :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3666 on: March 24, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Just bought a MacBook Pro with the touchbar as a birthday present to myself. Only have spent a few hours with it so far, but I'm liking it so far. I don't really do much on my laptop except web browsing, writing, and watching YouTube-- so just day to day activities. But having the touchbar is nice for videos on YouTube for fast forwarding through videos. Even as I'm typing this, the touchbar keeps suggesting the next word or acts as a spellcheck. It's a cool feature that will only get better as more developers take it on.

The keyboard is taking a bit to get used to. The fact that they are so flat against the surface is weird to me, but I like the way it sounds--they have that mechanical clacking sound to them.

The other thing that is a huge upgrade for me is the speakers. They sound surprisingly good, something I never really liked on my 2011 MacBook Pro. Overall for me, going from a 2011 MacBook Pro to this is really cool and I feel like I've been missing out. I'm looking forward to playing around with it more.

Oh, and the Touch ID login is really cool too!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3667 on: March 24, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
I got to be honest when I say I think it's crazy to spend so much on a laptop for your usage.  However, I love my macbook pro (work provided) so I guess I get it.  I was interested to see how people felt about the touchbar though, cool to see that it works will with youtube.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3668 on: March 24, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
Yeah, I can understand that. I just have always liked the MacBook Pro and didn't feel like going with the Air and was intrigued by the TouchBar. Works well with YouTube, like I said and in iTunes. I've heard people like using it with Final Cut, so I'll check it later.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #3669 on: September 18, 2017, 06:50:19 AM »
Did anyone else watch Apple's event on the 12? Thoughts, opinions on iPhone 8 and iPhone 10?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3670 on: September 18, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »
I still have an Iphone 5s  64gb. Still running just fine and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. I wasn't all that blown away by the 8

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: September 18, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »
I'm going to grab the iPhone X, it's time for an upgrade

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3672 on: September 22, 2017, 07:33:03 AM »
I work in one of the busiest AT&T stores in the state. We have all employees scheduled to work from open to close.

We've been open half an hour and have had two customers.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3673 on: September 22, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
^People (like myself) are waiting for the X.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3674 on: September 22, 2017, 09:46:27 AM »
I’ll also just preorder it, I don’t need it day one.