Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256342 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini
« Reply #3605 on: March 22, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »
The smaller iPhone was a good move. I read that last year there were still 30,000,000 older 4" iPhones sold. Not to mention, phone companies are doing away with the 2 year contract and subsidies. Most people can't or aren't willing to shell out $600+ for a new 5" phone.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3606 on: March 22, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »
Isn't that the point of the C iphone?  To be cheaper and still be an iphone.

Kind of, but I think the approach to this phone was very different. The 5C had a very plastic feel to it, and it was basically an iPhone 5 sold in times of the iPhone 5S (which was a huge upgrade from its predecessor). The SE has the same horsepower as the flagship 6S minus the force touch, and it feels just as premium as its older brothers.  Also, the introductory price of the 5C was $550, while the introductory price of the SE is $399. You get more bang for the buck, so that's why I think this was a long overdue move by Apple.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3607 on: March 22, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
Isn't that the point of the C iphone?  To be cheaper and still be an iphone.

Kind of, but I think the approach to this phone was very different. The 5C had a very plastic feel to it, and it was basically an iPhone 5 sold in times of the iPhone 5S (which was a huge upgrade from its predecessor); and the SE has the same horsepower as the flagship 6S minus the force touch, and it feels just as premium as its older brothers.  Also, the introductory price of the 5C was $550, while the introductory price of the SE is $399. You get more bang for the buck, so that's why I think this was a long overdue move by Apple.

Ah cool, Does this mean the C class is done?  I also agree with the thought the smaller version is good because I know a lot of people really liked the small form factor.  Also good point on the price and paying full because it's a tough pill to swallow when you pay full price out of pocket although I know verizon just bundles the cost into your bill which makes it the same as it was before when you had a contract (when you think about it, you were always paying the price of the phone) but a $400 iphone that is as good as the 6S is nice.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3608 on: March 22, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
Yeah, you could say this is the new C. I also expect this one to do a lot better in the market than the C.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: March 22, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
Yeah, you could say this is the new C. I also expect this one to do a lot better in the market than the C.

I always thought C was a bad letter to use, just makes me think Cheap

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3610 on: March 22, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
Yeah, Apple kinda missed that back then. If you had one, you had an iPhone but it was super evident it was the cheap iPhone; and although I'm inclined to say: 'who cares if you have the expensive or the cheap iPhone' ee live in a society that kinda judges everyone based on the clothes they wear and the phones they have.  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3611 on: June 22, 2016, 07:12:14 AM »
So I have a question..

I have to replace my wife's iPhone. Down at the local Sprint store, it's kind of pricey. On Amazon, I am seeing terms like Certified Refurnished and Factory Unlocked. What exactly do these mean?

My usual preference is to buy new on these things.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #3612 on: June 22, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
Refurnished I am guessing means refurbished. So maybe it had a faulty battery, broken screen etc and was fixed to re-sell. Unlocked is free of any carrier lockdown. So you can use it on any carrier, and I'm guessing that factory unlocked means it was unlocked from the get-go. Or unlocked at least by professionals or something. My iPhone 5 for example is locked to Sprint, 6S locked to Verizon.
---

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3613 on: June 22, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
I figured that was what refurbished was.

So if I buy something new, I just want to make sure it says Unlocked, right?
If I buy something new that doesn't say unlocked, then Sprint may not be able to set it up? That doesn't seem right, as in kosher.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #3614 on: June 22, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
I figured that was what refurbished was.

So if I buy something new, I just want to make sure it says Unlocked, right?
If I buy something new that doesn't say unlocked, then Sprint may not be able to set it up? That doesn't seem right, as in kosher.

If you buy it brand new, they generally are sold by the carrier. There also is an option to buy it SIM free (unlocked), but requires paying off the phone in full. On Apple's site, you can pick which carrier you want the phone from. Or if you go to a store (Apple or otherwise), you pick the carrier. So when I got a 5, I was on Sprint and bought it from Apple.com, selecting Sprint. When I got a 6S+, I went to Costco and got it through Verizon.

If you get it refurbed and unlocked, it can be activated on a carrier that utilizes the same wireless signal. I don't know if this holds true anymore with LTE, but it used to be GSM = ATT and TMobile, and CDMA = Verizon and Sprint. So  if you have an unlocked GSM phone, it will need to be on a GSM carrier.

So if you stay on Sprint, and don't want it unlocked, make sure your phone is Sprint. They lock them down to specific carriers.
---

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3615 on: June 22, 2016, 09:31:04 AM »
Wow, that's interesting. I had no idea. Thank you.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3616 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
If future iPhones do away with headphone jacks then i'll just not store any music on them or stick with a 5S

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3617 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:04 AM »
If future iPhones do away with headphone jacks then i'll just not store any music on them or stick with a 5S

And in 4-6 years you'll finally cave and buy wireless headphones, just like they wanted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3618 on: June 24, 2016, 06:51:27 AM »

And in 4-6 years you'll finally cave and buy wireless headphones, just like they wanted.

Wireless headphones are great.  Bose finally released bluetooth noise cancelling head phones.  I really want those to replace my wired ones, but my convincing of my boss to buy them for me has not worked yet.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3619 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:46 AM »

Wireless headphones are great.  Bose finally released bluetooth noise cancelling head phones.  I really want those to replace my wired ones, but my convincing of my boss to buy them for me has not worked yet.

A few fathers days ago I bought my dad a pair of the over-ear Bose noise cancelling headphones. They were pricy, but worth it, IMO. He lets me borrow them every time I fly and they are soooo good. Bose gets a lot of shit for not having good quality sound for what their products cost, but I don't hear it. I think their stuff sounds great. I bought me one of the Bose Bluetooth Mini Soundlinks and it rocks. The amount of sound and bass they can get out of that little thing amazes me. I use it constantly.

I also like wireless headphones, even if they lose some sound quality. When I'm out doing yardwork, having a chord dangling around and getting caught on shit is beyond annoying.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3620 on: June 24, 2016, 07:06:47 AM »
Yea, I probably have the same ones as your father.  QuietComfort15 and they are AWESOME.  I think the sound is great and the noise cancelling works really well plus they aren't heavy.  My only hate on them is the wire because I wear them most of the work day and often knock the wire out (it's loud in the data center and that's why my company bought them for me).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3621 on: June 24, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »
I got him these. They might technically be considered 'on-ear' not 'over-ear'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3622 on: June 24, 2016, 07:15:17 AM »
I got him these. They might technically be considered 'on-ear' not 'over-ear'

Ah, looks like it's probably the older version of mine since they look close to the same but I know it's not the newer models.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3623 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
Do some of the wireless headphones have a mic for talking on the phone? I've started to prefer using the headphones with a mic to actually holding the phone to my head.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3624 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »

Yeah, that's the Apple effect. A controversial decision that will spur hatred in millions that, in due time, will become somewhat a staple in the industry. I can see some 'premium' Android phones ditching the headphone jack as well not long after Apple announces iPhone 7.

Also, I think the whole technological environment is moving towards a no-cables paradigm. In 10 years time, lots of the cables we use to charge stuff/listen to stuff/connect stuff will disappear.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3625 on: June 24, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »

Yeah, that's the Apple effect. A controversial decision that will spur hatred in millions that, in due time, will become somewhat a staple in the industry. I can see some 'premium' Android phones ditching the headphone jack as well not long after Apple announces iPhone 7.

Also, I think the whole technological environment is moving towards a no-cables paradigm. In 10 years time, lots of the cables we use to charge stuff/listen to stuff/connect stuff will disappear.

Fine by me. I can't wait until I can drop my phone anywhere on my coffee table and have it charge.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3626 on: June 24, 2016, 08:05:49 AM »
Yeah, same here. Also, I have spent some money in buying replacement cables for mi iDevices and that annoys the hell out of me (because they're not good quality cables, of course).
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3627 on: June 24, 2016, 08:06:24 AM »
I actually really like my wireless fast charger, I was surprised with how well it works

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3628 on: June 25, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »

or i'll go back to MiniDisc. . .

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3629 on: June 26, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »

or i'll go back to MiniDisc. . .
Was that a thing?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3630 on: June 26, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »
MiniDisc rock.

Offline Cable

« Reply #3631 on: June 26, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »

A few fathers days ago I bought my dad a pair of the over-ear Bose noise cancelling headphones. They were pricy, but worth it, IMO. He lets me borrow them every time I fly and they are soooo good. Bose gets a lot of shit for not having good quality sound for what their products cost, but I don't hear it. I think their stuff sounds great. I bought me one of the Bose Bluetooth Mini Soundlinks and it rocks. The amount of sound and bass they can get out of that little thing amazes me. I use it constantly.

I also like wireless headphones, even if they lose some sound quality. When I'm out doing yardwork, having a chord dangling around and getting caught on shit is beyond annoying.

I feel that while Bose is not worth their full cost, their product is still great. The same could be argued for this thread name sack, Disney parks and so on. Overpriced sure vs others. But that doesn't mean the product is still not solid. My dad's Wave radio had huge sound for a rather small box.
---

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3632 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
Yeah, I have some Bose earphones and although they're not WTFAMAZING they are rock solid. A tad overpriced maybe.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3633 on: June 27, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
Expensive but worth every penny if you ask me.  You get what you pay for which may be too much for most, but most don't need the quality that Bose provides.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3634 on: September 07, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »
The new IPhone 7 looks pretty cool. I definitely like that they upped the storage capacity and I also really like that it has stereo speakers now. I don't plan on getting one right away, but maybe when the 7s comes out next year, I will probably look into getting a 7.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3635 on: September 07, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »

-Bluetooth-like connectivity. What does that even mean? Do I have to buy a Beats speaker because my Bose won't be able to connect?

-No auxiliary port. If you want to use your headphones, you need an adapter for the lightning port. Can you not charge and listen to music at the same time?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3636 on: September 07, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »
Do some of the wireless headphones have a mic for talking on the phone? I've started to prefer using the headphones with a mic to actually holding the phone to my head.

I'm also still curious to know the answer to the above.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3637 on: September 07, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »
Looks like they are including an adapter in the box to connect current headphones to the lightning port. Its a fix I can live with, but I would have liked the headphone jack to have stayed. 

And I don't know about current wireless headphones, but apple are going to sell their own "air buds" that do have a mic so you can have phone calls.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3638 on: September 07, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
I'm interested in the 5SE

I don't like the 6 & 7 round shape. Too slippery for me.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3639 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »

-Bluetooth-like connectivity. What does that even mean? Do I have to buy a Beats speaker because my Bose won't be able to connect?

-No auxiliary port. If you want to use your headphones, you need an adapter for the lightning port. Can you not charge and listen to music at the same time?

The adapter is included with the phone purchase. My car stereo can charge and play music through the lightning cable so that part is not an issue for me. If I'm at home then no I'll have to choose which one I'm doing but then again I barely ever do both at the same time anyways.
I'm sure it still contains bluetooth connectivity, I'm guessing just for the airpods they might have some specific connectivity. I don't know.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan