Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 256527 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini
« Reply #3500 on: October 23, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
I'm probably going to be picking up a 32GB iPad air. My second gen iPad is becoming outdated, and I've had to start deleting apps I've paid for to fit more music I've paid for. I think it's a pretty nice improvement, but I would have really liked to see Apple bring the price of the 32GB down to what the 16GB has been selling for the last few years. I'm going to put my iPad2 on Facebook for $250 with a $45 case included.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:59:18 PM by Chino »

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3501 on: October 23, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
OS X Mavericks is free and was released today.  Looks like it's time for me to move on from Snow Leopard.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3502 on: March 14, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »
Question for anybody with a MacBook or other Apple desktop: is there a hard drive "cleaner" that you use or recommend? My MacBook is running slow as shit, which is really weird bc I just had the hard drive replaced back in October. Anyway, it's really getting on my nerves. Don't know if something has been wrong since the new drive was installed or if it has a virus or what, but if I can't improve it soon I'm going to break the damn computer myself, lol

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3503 on: March 14, 2014, 09:00:45 PM »
What could have possibly happened to your hard drive in 5 months to make your Macbook run slowly?  I'm almost positive the problem is elsewhere, unless you're truly treating your computer like shit.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3504 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:57 PM »
Never was crazy for Macs mostly because they are over priced but my new job gave me a macbook pro and I'm really liking it. They also gave me an iPhone 5 and if I stay for a month I should get an iPad.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #3505 on: March 15, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
What could have possibly happened to your hard drive in 5 months to make your Macbook run slowly?  I'm almost positive the problem is elsewhere, unless you're truly treating your computer like shit.

What do you mean by 'elsewhere' ? No, I have not been treating it like shit, lol. My wife seems to think it has been running slowly ever since we got it back and that maybe something got messed up while they were fixing it. Who knows? Just thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3506 on: March 15, 2014, 06:54:57 PM »
By elsewhere he means RAM, resource-hogging programs, maybe a virus, things alone those lines.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3507 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »
While on the subject of Apple issues,

I've had an Iphone 4s for a little over a year now and all of a sudden my battery can't even make it through the day, and that's starting at 100% in the morning. And when I get down to about 30%, the phone just shuts off dead.

Anybody have this happen to them. Any ideas for fixes or is this just normal battery wear.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #3508 on: March 16, 2014, 04:53:58 AM »
That's definitely not normal. You have it for just over a year so that means that the warranty just expired... Which means that you'll probably have to pay for a battery replacement if you want this fixed, either by Apple or third party.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3509 on: March 16, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »

I've had an Iphone 4s for a little over a year now and all of a sudden my battery can't even make it through the day, and that's starting at 100% in the morning. And when I get down to about 30%, the phone just shuts off dead.

Anybody have this happen to them. Any ideas for fixes or is this just normal battery wear.

I know there was some recent iOS update that was causing battery drain issues. Worth looking into (I am not an iPhone user so I haven't really paid much attention to what the update was or anything)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: April 05, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »

This is from the battery meter having an error with its calibration. Try a restore, or "reset all settings".

You can re calibrate the battery by letting it go to 0% and dying and then fully charging to 100% without removing it from the charger.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3511 on: April 07, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »
Game of War - Fire Age

that is all.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3512 on: May 16, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
It's a sad day.....I've been using our departments iPad since December of 12'. I've gotten very used to it....very used to not having to 'pay' for it....very used to all the cool conviniences that it afforded me. I just had to pass it along to someone else in the department. I knew the day would come because it was never really 'mine', I was just testing it out per say...but I had it for so long I just figured no one else really wanted to use it or had any interest in it.

Now it looks like I have to buck up like the rest of the population and get some sort of tablet. I REALLY got used to using that thing for a lot of things other than work.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3513 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
It's a sad day.....I've been using our departments iPad since December of 12'. I've gotten very used to it....very used to not having to 'pay' for it....very used to all the cool conviniences that it afforded me. I just had to pass it along to someone else in the department. I knew the day would come because it was never really 'mine', I was just testing it out per say...but I had it for so long I just figured no one else really wanted to use it or had any interest in it.

Now it looks like I have to buck up like the rest of the population and get some sort of tablet. I REALLY got used to using that thing for a lot of things other than work.

I've checked out quite a few tablets over the last couple of years as my company has been slowly, but surely, upgrading our accounting systems.  We now give all of our field techs a Windows 8.1 tablet (Dell Venue) and they use our software to write up work-orders and they can actually get a customer signature right on the tablet before they leave the job site.   The tablets then automatically synchronize with the office.  This has helped us reduce the amount of time it takes us to get a bill for a service call in the mail.  It used to take us about 30 days to produce an invoice and now it takes....nothing. 

We looked at the iPad first because when we were first setting up the system there were very few tablet options out there.  But now, things are much different.  Windows 8.1 is taking a HUGE bite out of Apple's share of the tablet market.  And I think that trend will continue as Windows tablets get better and better with each generation.  The newest ones we have here are smoking fast and packed with all kinds of great features, and the best part is the cost, which in many cases is less than half of what an iPad costs, and it's compatible with...everything. 

The iPad is certainly a nice tablet, but like everything else Apple makes, it's massively overpriced, and that's the main reason we went elsewhere.  It would have cost us about $15k to equip all of our techs with iPads.  Instead, we got them top-of-the-line Windows 8.1 tablets and I'd be surprised if we end up hitting $8k when we're done with deployment.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3514 on: May 16, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »

I've checked out quite a few tablets over the last couple of years as my company has been slowly, but surely, upgrading our accounting systems.  We now give all of our field techs a Windows 8.1 tablet (Dell Venue) and they use our software to write up work-orders and they can actually get a customer signature right on the tablet before they leave the job site.   The tablets then automatically synchronize with the office.  This has helped us reduce the amount of time it takes us to get a bill for a service call in the mail.  It used to take us about 30 days to produce an invoice and now it takes....nothing. 

We looked at the iPad first because when we were first setting up the system there were very few tablet options out there.  But now, things are much different.  Windows 8.1 is taking a HUGE bite out of Apple's share of the tablet market.  And I think that trend will continue as Windows tablets get better and better with each generation.  The newest ones we have here are smoking fast and packed with all kinds of great features, and the best part is the cost, which in many cases is less than half of what an iPad costs, and it's compatible with...everything. 

The iPad is certainly a nice tablet, but like everything else Apple makes, it's massively overpriced, and that's the main reason we went elsewhere.  It would have cost us about $15k to equip all of our techs with iPads.  Instead, we got them top-of-the-line Windows 8.1 tablets and I'd be surprised if we end up hitting $8k when we're done with deployment.

You know I've noticed near every Vendor Rep. that comes in and tries to sell me thier product cracks open a Windows tablet to show me product information or what not. Hardly any of the major Healthcare Vendors (Siemens/GE/Philips/Steris etc) seem to be carrying iPads. I'm definately in the market for one now and given your endorsment and the fact that I see them used industry wide, the Windows tablet is at the top of the list.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
In the terms of using them for work, windows is still a better option for companies for security and control features, plus easy integration with the MS Office products that most companies use.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3516 on: June 03, 2014, 07:07:17 AM »
So my Iphone 4s battery is officially toast. Its now just randomly turning off at like 94% battery life. I've tried the full factory restore, a hard restart, power saving options, ect, ect, but the thing is done.

Not a big deal though since its about 2 years old, so its all good. It served me well. I just need to be patient until September, when I can get a newer one and in the meantime I guess I'm going to make good friends with this:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:34:22 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #3517 on: June 03, 2014, 07:32:37 AM »
That cable won't fit your 4S though.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3518 on: June 03, 2014, 07:33:58 AM »
Dumb me.

picture fixed

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3519 on: September 09, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »
According to the main site, looks like something (coughiphone6coughcough) is going to be announced 10am PDT

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3520 on: September 09, 2014, 03:47:28 AM »
Unless I can drag and drop files to it and not have to use iTunes as a transfer medium, I have zero interest in it.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #3521 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:46 AM »
Come on, let it be an iWatch! Pleeeeease.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3522 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:39 AM »
I'd love an iWatch. I've been rocking a Pebble Steel for about 9 months and I love it. However, I'm sure it won't be compatible with Android, so you can count me out.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3523 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:35 AM »
I'd love an iWatch. I've been rocking a Pebble Steel for about 9 months and I love it. However, I'm sure it won't be compatible with Android, so you can count me out.

I would think an iWatch would be better than the Galazy Gear at this point.  It almost has to be by default given how poorly the Gear was reviewed.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3524 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:20 AM »
My favorite thing about people upgrading to the new iphone is that I can now upgrade to last years model  :)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3525 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
So my company provides us with apple products.... macbook pro, iphone 5, and ipad air.  After 6 monthes now, I love my macbook pro.  I probably wouldnt dish out the insanely high price for it, but its great for work.  Everything works fine and its easy to use now that Ive gotten used to the OS.  I wouldnt buy one, just because for that price I should be playing some high performance games as well.  The Ipad, I love as well.  Thin and light, and great for reading books.  My iphone, I hate it.  I understand the ipad and iphone are essentially the same, but my iphone feels so limited compared to my personal galaxy S5.  Its too small and for my main device, I dont like that I cant do as much customization.   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3526 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »
I'm the same way. As far as tablets go, I wouldn't consider anything other than the iPad (I'm really hoping the 12.9" rumor turns out to be true). In terms of phones, I don't see myself getting an iPhone any time soon. I love Verizon's Droid line. I've owned three of them now and have no complaints whatsoever.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3527 on: September 09, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
I'll give it to Apple. That watch is sexy. 

However, it is super fucking lame that the smallest/cheapest size available is still only 16GB.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:01:06 PM by Chino »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3528 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
I love Tim Cook. He's such a fanboy and I love the direction he's taking the company

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3529 on: September 19, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
I saw a great comment on a news article about the iPhone 6+

"You can tell a guy runs the Apple Marketing Department. Calling the iPhone 6+ when it is really only 5.5 inches."
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3530 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »
Hai gais.

My beloved 27' iMac is about to die, and it's time to buy a new Apple computer. It's to be noted that I work with this computer (I'm an Audio Engineer), so my line of work depends greatly on peripherials, reliable software and stability, etc. I've had no problems whatsoever with Apple so far, so I'm still giving my money to the Cupertino guys. I'm considering in buying a new Mac Pro so it can last longer than the iMac (I love it, but I didn't like the lack of expansion capabilities it has). Anyone here owns a Mac Pro?

Kisses.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3531 on: October 17, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
What makes you think it's about to die? Really, it should last a very, very long time.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3532 on: October 17, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »
I've been  having the black screen of death problem for the past 4 months or so. I already took the machine twice to the Apple Store and it has had some parts replaced, etc. to no avail. Upon calling the guys for third time they're telling me that if by that time the computer wasn't fixed already, the problem was from the logic board.

Thing is, that's one expensive part of the computer to replace so for the price they gave me I prefer to put in a few extra bucks and buy a more powerful machine because I might actually put the Mac Pro processor to some good use given the fact that I do use these computers to the max. A lot of processes I run require a lot of horse power, and although the iMac is an amazing computer it did fall short a couple of times.

On a side note, Yosemite is gorgeous. I feel it runs (and looks) smoother than Mavericks, so that's a great thing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:56:28 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3533 on: October 18, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
I'm not really an Apple user, but can someone here explain to me why Apple Pay would succeed, when the same technology (NFC) already didn't work well with Google Wallet? I remember trying it with my HTC One at a CVS store, and quickly realized that if you use a case on your phone, NFC won't really work.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3534 on: October 19, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »
Because Apple.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"