Author Topic: The Mars Volta - Octahedron (2009)  (Read 7730 times)

Offline ScottOfRedemption

• Banned
  • peaCOCK
Re: The Mars Volta - Octahedron (2009)
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 08:34:39 AM »
I'm listening now.

I like it. I think they were smart to bring it down a notch for a change, instead of they're past two in which they kept trying to out do themselves.

This was a nice, and calm album, with some nice songs and good melodies. It will make for a more solid album in the vein of their first two for the next one, hopefully
https://www.last.fm/music/The+Funeral+Drums/Chaos+on+the+Rise
My theory is that teh progerz is teh porgerz as thus it's a must the has to fuck shit up.
It feels kind of weird saying this out loud, but...Scott is exactly right.

Offline matamor1

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »
This album is terrible.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »
I only like like one song of The Mars Volta...everything else is to crazy for me and takes 5 years to start up. Overrated
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »
This album is amazing.

After more listens I've realized that Cedric pretty much owns this album. His vocals are at their best here. All of the melodies are excellent. This album is their third best. Frances, De-Loused, and then this one. Bedlam and Amp follow.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 03:50:51 PM »
I think this is probably their best after listening to it a few more times.  One thing TMV suffer from IMO is putting too many ideas into their songs and trying to make sure they use up almost all of the 80 minutes available on a disc.  Frances has too much unnecessary stuff, so does Amp.  Bedlam and this one show a more cohesive Volta, which is better, IMO.  An album like De-Loused, which has a bunch of ideas stuffed into it, doesn't overstay its welcome and a part of that, I think, is that its only an hour long.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 01:34:38 PM »
Gave this another chance...It's really cool....Nice drumming and amazing vocal melodies
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
Just traded in this as well as the other three Mars Volta albums I still own in for about $12 store credit total at a local record shop. The good ones, Deloused and Francis, are still on my hard drive. This one isn't.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 12:53:41 AM »
I like it. Not as batshit insane as the other albums. They have some great stuff, but I can rarely be bothered to get past all the other crap. Octahedron is nicely accessible.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 05:49:56 PM »
Reviews sound great so far, will have to check this album out! Though haven't got round to listening to Bedlam yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Bedlam is awesome.

I've listened to this once while on the bus, so I don't really have an opinion yet. I'll listen again soon though.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
bump.

they're working on their next album.
https://stereokill.net/2010/05/the-mars-volta-begin-work-on-album-six/

The album is rumoured to be a departure from the band’s previous releases, with band leader Omar Rodriguez-Lopez relinquishing creative control to allow the other members of The Mars Volta Group to collaborate during the writing process. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Rodriguez-Lopez stated that:

“I want to share experiences, instead of controlling and owning them. [...] I want to move beyond that. I’ve had 10 years of being a dictator. From 2002 to 2007, I cannot tell you how unfun it must have been to be around me. I worked from 11 in the morning until 2 in the morning, no breaks, no going out for lunch, no days off. I drove an engineer mad. Another renounced me. I understand it now. And now, I stop, I eat lunch, I play with the dog, and I get four times as much done now than when I was choking it to death. Now I come back invigorated. I’m definitely happier.”