Author Topic: [Music] BT - This Binary Universe  (Read 3807 times)

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

[Music] BT - This Binary Universe
« on: January 08, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
BT - This Binary Universe
Electronic, Ambient

Have you ever listened to an album so perfect that it changes the way you view music?  Have you ever listened to an album where genre classification and album ratings just seem to be unnecessary? This Binary Universe manages all that and then some. Inspired by the birth of his daughter, BT created an album filled with lush landscapes and beautiful atmosphere. It is almost misleading trying to call this album electronic, as it contains elements from jazz, classical, indie, and dance. One moment you will be listening to soft ambiance, and the next you will be bombarded with a 110 piece orchestra.

Not only did BT put all his effort into the music, but the package he gives it to you in is great. When you buy the album you not only get the CD, but also a 5.1 mix, and music videos to accompany all the songs. These music videos range from CGI to live action. The videos are well done and add to the experience. You get the idea that BT wanted to make this a truly special album.

This Binary Universe beings with All That Makes Us Human Continues, a beautiful song that captures the feel of the album. The 8 minute length of the song feels like a mere 5 minutes. It begins and ends almost like a lullaby, with a bit of electronic flare in the middle. I would say it is one of the more straightforward tracks on the album, as it keeps the same mood throughout. The next course of tracks all span over various genres and moods. Dynamic Symmetry manages to tread grounds of jazz, ambient, and dance. While The Internal Locus starts calm, but evolves into an orchestral odyssey. See You On The Other Side takes a break from all the complexity and remains very minimal, slow, and peaceful.

The album closes with Good Morning Kaia, an extremely powerful and beautiful track. The music video really puts the song on an entirely different level. It is obvious that when making this BT put all his heart and soul making this track, and he succeeded at making it perfect.

If you are looking for an album that you can just put on in the background while playing a game, or doing work, than this album will not work well. It is designed for a close, and focused listen. I made the mistake of just passing this album off as just another electronic album. But when you listen to it with full attention you really notice how great it is. The sound and production, the music and flow, it all just fits together so perfectly. I know most people will not get the same experience I do from this album, but it is worth at least a few listens. And if you purchase the album, I highly recommend watching the short films that accompany the songs, it makes the experience much more memorable.

Album Rating - 10/10

TL/DR Version: “In a hundred years, it could well be studied as the first major electronic work of the new millennium.” - Keyboard Magazine

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G8OZ16/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p15_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=16SNQFRJ04214FNNPR8B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: [Music] BT - This Binary Universe
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
I'll look for it in Best Buy tommorow (think they'll have it?)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:35 PM »
I'll look for it in Best Buy tommorow (think they'll have it?)
Maybe, BT's older material was pretty popular among dance and trance circles. But Best Buy is weird when it comes to music. They have had obscure shit like Kayo Dot, but did not have more in the middle acts like Streetlight Manifesto.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
Well I'll check there for it tommorow; hopefully they have it

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 04:14:11 AM »
Couldn't agree more with pretty much everything you said, especially about the videos. The first time I listened through the album I did so with the video, which really does give every song a wonderful feel and atmosphere, so now when I hear them I still get that from them.

The best is Good Morning Kaia; the song and video literally put tears in my eyes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
The best is Good Morning Kaia; the song and video literally put tears in my eyes.
Yeah, there have been a ton of songs that have moved me before, but when watching that video it really had an emotional impact on me.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:49:54 PM »
Nope; not in Best Buy. I'll have to check somewhere else (or buy it online)

Offline jezstyle

• Rafiki from Stradley Hall
  • Rafiki from Stradley Hall
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:23 PM »
This Binary Universe is truly an awesome album.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:05:19 PM »
I value your musical opinion Poseidon, so I will definitely try to check this out.  :tup

edit: woah, gonna need more listens to take this in. this album is something special
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:34:01 AM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »
I was thinking about buying this album like 3 months ago, now after reading this review, which was pretty good by the way, I might get it now. What you said in the review is what I was hoping this album would be. Time to go out and by this masterpiece that's been missing in my collection.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »
I would highly HIGHLY recommend making sure it comes with the DVD version (dunno if you can buy the CD alone, but don't anyway) and watch it for the first listen. Amazing experience!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 09:40:08 AM »
I would highly HIGHLY recommend making sure it comes with the DVD version (dunno if you can buy the CD alone, but don't anyway) and watch it for the first listen. Amazing experience!

I'm actually gonna disagree in two ways:

(1) I heard the music first, and appreciate having been able to associate my own thoughts and feelings with the music first.

(2) When I saw the videos for the first time, I already knew the songs pretty well, so I was able to put more focus into the visuals since I knew what to expect from the music.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again