Author Topic: Camel  (Read 22719 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Camel
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
Interesting choice to leave Mirage for last. I'd agree it's their best one, although I love The Snow goose and Moonmadness as well.

Also, do NOT ignore the album Nude. It's brilliant.  :hefdaddy

Thanks I won't!! There's this German prog review website on which I read daily, it's called Babyblaue Prog Reviews. Most of the people there wrote that the 80s albums are not as good, and NUDE had a 8,5 / 15 rating. But if you say it's good, then I will listen to it soon :)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
Stationary Traveller is also very good.

Don't forget to check Dust And Dreams, Harbour Of Tears, Rajaz and A Nod And A Wink. They are almost as good as their 70s output.

Latimer is easily one of my all-time favorite guitarists. Just watch the DVD Coming Of Age. The guy plays from the heart and he is the proof that you don't need to be fast nor technical to be an amazing guitarist. "Ice" on that DVD is breathtaking.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
Since Camel ist going to play at the Night Of The Prog Festival this year, I decided to listen to my Snow Goose vinyl that I have sitting in my collection for about 5 years now. I knew it before and liked it but never listened to it as closely as I should have.

Listening to it carefully, I realized how good it actually is and how little recognition this band gets next to the giants Genesis, Yes etc.! So I bought their debut from 1973 and live album from 1978 in Amsterdam a couple weeks ago and ordered Moonmadness on discogs (bc they will play this one in its entirety at the NotP). I am falling in love with this band more and more! Their music is a lot more introverted than most 70s prog. Closest band of the bigger prog bands musically speaking would be Genesis. But I love Camels instrumental approach and the introverted vocals. The latter could actually be a big reason that they never gained as much popularity as other bands of their time who had charismatic singers (Greg Lake, Jon Anderson, Gabriel).

I will continue with the 70s albums Rain Dances, Breathless and I Can See Your House From Here and save Mirage up for last. I heard it's their best. I also haven't listened to the first LP of their live album since there are some Mirage songs on there. I heard their 80s stuff is not thaaat good, but I'm sure I will listen to those albums too at some point.

My favorite songs are until now:
Never Let Go
Arubaluba
Air Born
First side of The Snow Goose (I don't know where one track ends and the next one starts, this is just one big piece for me in the vein of Thick As A Brick, Hergest Ridge etc.)
Lunar Sea

I think Mirage is their best, yes, although Moonmadness and The Snow Goose are not far behind.

And I agree about Camel and the vocals.  Had they had a more traditional lead singer, they probably hit it a bit bigger, but I like the way they did the vocals back then.  It was almost like another instrument at times, and I think calling them introverted is a good way to put it.

Andrew Latimer is a true guitar god.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »
Anyone else get their new live DVD?

https://www.discogs.com/Camel-Live-At-The-Royal-Albert-Hall/release/14512833

Okay, I didn't get it, but a friend did, and we watched it last night. Very good, and Andrew Latimer's guitar tone is just insane.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2020, 08:38:21 AM »
Another band that I digitized from vinyl over my extended "staycation".    I just ripped Snow Goose, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, and Breathless to FLAC last week.   (I already had Mirage on CD)

I remember being skeptical of Breathless because of people's reviews, but it was better than I expected.  Even the obvious radio single was not a complete sell out. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »
I did not realize there was a Camel thread here. Kind of a recently acquired obsession of mine. I don’t have that Royal Albert DVD, but I did see the End of the Line promo on YouTube and thought it looked and sounded amazing.

In the last few months I’ve tracked down copies of three of their many concept albums, Nude, Dust and Dreams, and Harbour of Tears. Nude and Dust and Dreams I really like, and I’ve especially been loving Nude. Harbour of Tears has some nice moments but isn’t very focused, and a lot of the instrumental passages feel like rehashes of Dust and Dreams.

Anyway, I’ve got everything by Camel now except for The Hit Factor and Rajaz. So many different eras of the band, but throughout Latimer has always been amazing.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Interesting choice to leave Mirage for last. I'd agree it's their best one, although I love The Snow goose and Moonmadness as well.

Thanks I won't!! There's this German prog review website on which I read daily, it's called Babyblaue Prog Reviews. Most of the people there wrote that the 80s albums are not as good, and NUDE had a 8,5 / 15 rating. But if you say it's good, then I will listen to it soon :)
yes in my opinion it is (given that you like what they do musically speaking. I don't, but I'm doing my best to be neutral about their music). I'd also get all the albums up until A Live Record (2002 editions if you can, seeing as they sound very clean and they are complete, most importantly. This also applies to Pressure Points, their second live album, which features quite a bit from Nude in its complete form.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:04:56 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »
Love Nude.
I played a Pressure Points today. A great live album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2020, 04:26:39 PM »
Anyone else get their new live DVD?

https://www.discogs.com/Camel-Live-At-The-Royal-Albert-Hall/release/14512833

Okay, I didn't get it, but a friend did, and we watched it last night. Very good, and Andrew Latimer's guitar tone is just insane.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Wow, I totally missed this release. I saw Camel live at the Night Of The Prog and they were awesome. I've been dying to hear that live version of Another Night again! The straight drum groove and the harmony vocals fit that song so well. Shame this concert wasn't released on vinyl though ;)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2020, 04:28:55 PM »

yes in my opinion it is (given that you like what they do musically speaking. I don't, but I'm doing my best to be neutral about their music). I'd also get all the albums up until A Live Record (2002 editions if you can, seeing as they sound very clean and they are complete, most importantly. This also applies to Pressure Points, their second live album, which features quite a bit from Nude in its complete form.)

Interesting that this conversation from 2 years ago came up again  :lol I have NUDE in my collection for over a year now, and I like it a lot. I haven't listened to it in months though, will do that tomorrow :)

Online HOF

« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »

Listening to it carefully, I realized how good it actually is and how little recognition this band gets next to the giants Genesis, Yes etc.! So I bought their debut from 1973 and live album from 1978 in Amsterdam a couple weeks ago and ordered Moonmadness on discogs (bc they will play this one in its entirety at the NotP). I am falling in love with this band more and more! Their music is a lot more introverted than most 70s prog. Closest band of the bigger prog bands musically speaking would be Genesis. But I love Camels instrumental approach and the introverted vocals. The latter could actually be a big reason that they never gained as much popularity as other bands of their time who had charismatic singers (Greg Lake, Jon Anderson, Gabriel).

Bumping an old comment, but “Introverted vocals” is a great descriptor for Camel and probably is one reason they didn’t have the commercial success of their peers. One thing I appreciate about them is the vocals do take a back seat to the instrumentation, which kind of lets the music emote and tell the story and the vocals just kind of give you the words if that makes sense. A different approach, but one I really enjoy. For instance, “Echoes” off of Breathless goes on for several minutes before the vocals kick in. The music has already sort of set the tone and the vocals come in to sort of guide you the rest of the way.

That said, I do think Andrew Latimer has a very interesting voice that can be very emotive in its own way. Listening to “End of the Line” off Dust and Dreams now, and it’s just an aching and beautiful song, with his mournful voice complimented by the soulful guitar solos.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:14:20 PM by HOF »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2020, 06:05:36 PM »
I am sure I already said it in this thread years ago :lol, but Camel's non-noteworthy vocals are a unique part of their sound. Another Night has long been one of my favorite Camel songs, and it wouldn't be the same with a singer who belts it out.  I like the "introverted vocals" description as well. 

Online HOF

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2020, 06:28:52 PM »
I am sure I already said it in this thread years ago :lol, but Camel's non-noteworthy vocals are a unique part of their sound. Another Night has long been one of my favorite Camel songs, and it wouldn't be the same with a singer who belts it out.  I like the "introverted vocals" description as well. 

Yep. There’s more than one way to tell a story, and while I like dramatic singers generally, not everybody has to have a Jon Anderson or Phil Collins type of voice to get the point across. King Crimson rarely had dynamic singers (although Wetton had his moments, he wasn’t a great singer at the time he was in the band). You can get away with it if the music is strong enough.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »
That said, I do think Andrew Latimer has a very interesting voice that can be very emotive in its own way. Listening to “End of the Line” off Dust and Dreams now, and it’s just an aching and beautiful song, with his mournful voice complimented by the soulful guitar solos.
This is why I think Harbour of Tears works well for his voice. “Eyes of Ireland” is a good example of this because it’s kind of a sad song in that it’s remembering a better time or retelling of a time gone by and his voice does a good job of conveying that emotion.

You mention Dust and Dreams, Camel’s later stuff is nothing to ignore. It’s different from the early stuff, but it’s not bad. I really enjoy A Nod and a Wink
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online HOF

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2020, 07:25:39 PM »
This is why I think Harbour of Tears works well for his voice. “Eyes of Ireland” is a good example of this because it’s kind of a sad song in that it’s remembering a better time or retelling of a time gone by and his voice does a good job of conveying that emotion.

You mention Dust and Dreams, Camel’s later stuff is nothing to ignore. It’s different from the early stuff, but it’s not bad. I really enjoy A Nod and a Wink

A Nod and a Wink is really great. I do like Harbour of Tears but about half of it doesn’t do much for me. Dust and Dreams is really powerful though (even if it sounds a little low budget). Some of Latimer’s more aggressive guitar work on that one.

Speaking of Latimer’s guitar work, now listening to “Ice,” which is just impossibly beautiful.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2020, 03:11:09 AM »
I'm listening to Nude right now and it's beautiful. I don't know why it not ranked among Camel's greatest. It has an introverted character and it's mainly instrumental, maybe reflecting the loneliness of the protagonist on the island. I love the opener City Lights and I think it is so catchy that it could have been a hit. I think I'll be listening to this album a lot more.

I will also give their other two 80s albums a listen. I know, The Single Factor is very poppy and regarded as one of their worst albums, but I have nothing against well done pop music, so let's see! I'm also looking forward to Stationary Traveller, I heard good things about it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2020, 03:17:01 AM »
I've always had a soft spot for Nude, there are some gorgeous instrumentals in there.

Online HOF

« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2020, 07:55:03 AM »
Nude really is wonderful. I’ve been playing City Life frequently these last few months. Kind of a reminder of before everything went crazy when you could just be bored with regular life. Most of us would trade the current situation for that banality I expect. Nude and City Life are up there among my favorite Camel albums/songs for sure.

I also think I Can See Your House From Here is a really strong blend of pop and prog. I had it for a while before it really hit me, and I think coming back to it after hearing Nude helped it click for whatever reason.

Online HOF

« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »
BTW, for fans of early Camel (and anyone else really), this Israeli band called Telegraph has a really great album called Mir that recalls some of the early Camel sound. It’s really strong in its own right though (and based on a cool story). Highly recommended.

https://telegraphband.bandcamp.com/album/mir

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »
BTW, for fans of early Camel (and anyone else really), this Israeli band called Telegraph has a really great album called Mir that recalls some of the early Camel sound. It’s really strong in its own right though (and based on a cool story). Highly recommended.

thanks for the recommendation. Listening now and enjoying it.

Online HOF

« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »

thanks for the recommendation. Listening now and enjoying it.

Awesome! It’s a beautiful recording with some really nice guitar work on it. Hope these guys make another album before long.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »

I will also give their other two 80s albums a listen. I know, The Single Factor is very poppy and regarded as one of their worst albums, but I have nothing against well done pop music, so let's see! I'm also looking forward to Stationary Traveller, I heard good things about it.

I'm not overly wild about that album as a whole, but it does have Sasquatch, which is one of their most awesome instrumentals.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2020, 01:35:21 PM »
Ever since I've popped in this thread by happenstance a couple days ago I've been listening to the first three albums back to back to back pretty much non stop. Still not familiar with the song titles....but man these are a really fun and cool listen.

I guess I'll graduate on to the other albums in a bit but I really wanted to 'get' them before just inundating myself with all of their music.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2020, 02:18:44 PM »
That is great to hear, Gary.  Albums 2-4 (Mirage, The Snow Goose, Moonmadness) are the best and most consistent, but pretty much all of their albums have something to like.

Online HOF

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »
For whatever reason I’ve had a hard time connecting with The Snow Goose. I generally like instrumental Camel a lot, but for some reason that one just kind of washes over me when I hear it, and I don’t really retain much memory of it.

I think Moon Madness is a stronger album from the original Camel lineup than The Snow Goose, and it might even be my favorite of those first four.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2020, 02:46:40 AM »
I like The Snow Goose a LOT, but I agree that Moonmadness is the stronger album. Both albums are more introverted than Mirage imo. I love that introverted side of Camel's music. I also think the debut of the band is fantastic, a little more raw than the following albums.

Btw, I've been listening to Pink Floyd a lot lately and I realized again that the guitar style of Latimer and Gilmour is not that different! Both know how to make so much out of few notes.

Online HOF

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2020, 08:08:11 AM »
That debut is really cool. Was watching this old promo video of Never Let Go recently and thinking how raw it is. The drums on that song (and whole album really) are just in your face. Almost a grunge or metal edge to this song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkDP3fZmyiE

There’s definitely also a Pink Floyd type vibe but to a lot of Camel. A lot of similarities between Gilmour, Latimer, and Rothery as far as soloing.

Online HOF

« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2021, 10:25:41 PM »
Listening to Nude tonight. There’s just something oddly peaceful about this album for me. It was my soundtrack to the early stages of the pandemic, so it’s kind of wild to come back to it and realize it’s been right about a year since that all started (here in the US at least).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2021, 12:54:13 AM »
Listening to Nude tonight. There’s just something oddly peaceful about this album for me. It was my soundtrack to the early stages of the pandemic, so it’s kind of wild to come back to it and realize it’s been right about a year since that all started (here in the US at least).

I agree, Nude is a beautiful album and it's rarely appreciated. I think I even spin it more often than Moonmadness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2021, 05:41:55 PM »
I am always in favor of this thread being bumped. Love me some Camel.

Admittedly, Nude is not an album I revisit often, but I still like it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2021, 07:02:37 PM »
I started to rip my vinyl to FLAC. Loved Snow Goose, Moonmadness and Rain Dances. Kinda lost me on Breathless though. Can’t figure out what they were thinking with a couple of those songs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »
I started to rip my vinyl to FLAC. Loved Snow Goose, Moonmadness and Rain Dances. Kinda lost me on Breathless though. Can’t figure out what they were thinking with a couple of those songs.

Breathless is the marmite Camel album for sure. I love Echoes, and for a while the oddball nature of that album intrigued me, but I don’t go back to it all that often now.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2021, 08:38:15 PM »
"Echoes" and "Summer Lightning" are two of my favorite Camel songs, but as a whole, Breathless was nowhere near as strong as Rain Dances in my opinion. A few weeks ago I read some blog that counted down the best progressive rock vocalists, and they included Richard Sinclair, who sang on both of those albums. I was completely unfamiliar with his previous band, Caravan, and so I decided to give them a listen, and have been absolutely obsessing over their albums If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You, In the Land of Grey and Pink, For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night, and Cunning Stunts. Are you all fans of Caravan too?

Online HOF

« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:17 PM »
"Echoes" and "Summer Lightning" are two of my favorite Camel songs, but as a whole, Breathless was nowhere near as strong as Rain Dances in my opinion. A few weeks ago I read some blog that counted down the best progressive rock vocalists, and they included Richard Sinclair, who sang on both of those albums. I was completely unfamiliar with his previous band, Caravan, and so I decided to give them a listen, and have been absolutely obsessing over their albums If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You, In the Land of Grey and Pink, For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night, and Cunning Stunts. Are you all fans of Caravan too?

I have In the Land of Grey and Pink, in part because of the Camel connection (I also thought the pink and grey cover was really unique). I like that album but haven’t heard anything else by Caravan.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2021, 03:30:05 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm a "fan" of Caravan (yet), but I have three albums by them and I really like them: Grey & Pink, Waterloo and Cunning Stunts. I think all of them are good, and I have to cut some slack for the lesser known (and liked, apparently) Cunning Stunts. Especially the second side is awesome.

As for Breathless by Camel, this is another album that is never talked about, but I really like it. It has one of those oddball songs I sometimes can't get enough of: Down On The Farm. Sung by Caravan's Richard Sinclair. So Canterbury-like, humorous, groovy, and the lyrics are awesome  :lol I absolutely love this track!