Author Topic: The Official Shinedown Thread  (Read 4727 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
The Official Shinedown Thread
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:40:46 PM »
Shinedown is probably one of the best hard rock bands out there, to this day. They have released three solid albums so far. Not to mention, Brent Smith is possibly the most talented singer in mainstream rock. His voice is so damn wonderful and powerful.

Discuss anything Shinedown. GO!
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Shinedown Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
Easily my second favorite hard rock band, behind Hurt.

Both Us and Them and The Sound of Madness would probably be on my top 150 albums.

They're touring in 2010, but they're opening for... wait for it... Nickelback and Breaking Benjamin. :\

Any word on when a new album might come out, though?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
Just got into them. Sound of Madness, 45, and The Crow and The Butterfly are my favorites by them

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
indeed, great band and great mainstream rock

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Eh, what the hell. Album recommendations?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
The Sound of Madness

Listen to the title track and Devour

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »
The Sound of Madness

Listen to the title track and Devour

Listen to all of it.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
Devour is very...eh for me. It's not a good representation of what the band really sounds like, if you ask me. It's kind of just their way of trying to be more "metal".

Though, the album The Sound of Madness is a great place to start, still. It's easily their most accessible. Such great music throughout.

They're touring in 2010, but they're opening for... wait for it... Nickelback and Breaking Benjamin. :\
I FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU'd so hard when I found that out.

I saw them open for Rob Zombie and Godsmack back in 2006. Why can't they do something like that again? ugh.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
Nickelback is less monotonous than Godsmack :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
They are coming right by me...headlining...I can't go! :(

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »
Great band
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »

Leave A Whisper.

Sound of Madness is disgusting in comparison, IMO.  Bland, unoriginal, emotionless, and very paint-by-numbers.

LaW at least had some emotion to it, and Us and Them is was a much more original and creative direction for the band to go.  SoM is three steps backward if you ask me, although it has garnered them a lot of media attention (mainly Second Chance).  Also, Brent Smith is not so hot live.  I've seen the band live 5 times now, and each time he's sounded worse...he sounds awesome in the studio, but he can't even hit half of his notes live (he essentially rewrites I Dare You because it's absurdly high).

Don't get me wrong, I used to love Shinedown...at one time, they were my #1 band.  I've become very, very disillusioned with them lately, however.

Also: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=3506.0

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:31:35 PM »

Leave A Whisper.

Sound of Madness is disgusting in comparison, IMO.  Bland, unoriginal, emotionless, and very paint-by-numbers.

LaW at least had some emotion to it, and Us and Them is was a much more original and creative direction for the band to go.  SoM is three steps backward if you ask me, although it has garnered them a lot of media attention (mainly Second Chance).  Also, Brent Smith is not so hot live.  I've seen the band live 5 times now, and each time he's sounded worse...he sounds awesome in the studio, but he can't even hit half of his notes live (he essentially rewrites I Dare You because it's absurdly high).

Don't get me wrong, I used to love Shinedown...at one time, they were my #1 band.  I've become very, very disillusioned with them lately, however.

Also: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=3506.0
I've gotta agree with you. The latest album is terrible compared to the first two.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
I just gave the first album another listen and I can now agree the first two albums are their best. 45 (especially the acoustic version) deserves a mention, so amazing.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
I just gave the first album another listen and I can now agree the first two albums are their best. 45 (especially the acoustic version) deserves a mention, so amazing.

'Tis awesome.  I'm glad you've seen the light. 

And no.  Not white lights.  Or a train wreck, for that matter.  :loser:

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
I was giving their discog another listen about a week ago. I think I can safely say that I have a hard time actually choosing a favourite album. I personally think each album is great in it's own way.

And yes, 45 is incredible.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »
I have yet to give Us and Them a full on listen but I have given listens to both Leave a Whisper and The Sound of Madness and I will say with all the strength I have that The Sound of Madness is better than Leave a Whisper and it does not have one bad song on it.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »
I was giving their discog another listen about a week ago. I think I can safely say that I have a hard time actually choosing a favourite album. I personally think each album is great in it's own way.

exactly this...I would add, though, that Fly From the Inside was an immediate favorite for me the 1st time I heard it

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »

exactly this...I would add, though, that Fly From the Inside was an immediate favorite for me the 1st time I heard it
This. I remember my mom buying their first album about a week or so after it's release. I fell in love with Fly From the Inside instantly when listening to it in the car. So. Damn. Good.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Weird question. In Guitar World, the guitarist of shinedown was going over their set and it says that it sucks playing Devour at the end because it is their most brutal song to play, and I quote, "For me, it is a terrible closer though! [laughs] By that time, we've played for a good 2 hours and I'm so out of breath it is not funny"

Now, my question. How is it that that play for "a good 2 hours" when their entire discography is 2.4 hours, and they play 16-18 songs. That is only half of their discography, clocking in at less than an hour and a half. I took a recent set and clocked it and it came to about an hour!!! I am seeing these dudes in a week and a half and if they play for an hour, I am going to be mighty pissed.

Normal set:

Cry For Help
Heroes
I Dare You
If You Only Knew
Junkies
Burning Bright
Call Me
Left Out
Sound of Madness
The Crow & The Butterfly
Cyanide
Fly
Second Chance
Save Me
Devour

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 05:22:08 AM »
Weird question. In Guitar World, the guitarist of shinedown was going over their set and it says that it sucks playing Devour at the end because it is their most brutal song to play, and I quote, "For me, it is a terrible closer though! [laughs] By that time, we've played for a good 2 hours and I'm so out of breath it is not funny"

Now, my question. How is it that that play for "a good 2 hours" when their entire discography is 2.4 hours, and they play 16-18 songs. That is only half of their discography, clocking in at less than an hour and a half. I took a recent set and clocked it and it came to about an hour!!! I am seeing these dudes in a week and a half and if they play for an hour, I am going to be mighty pissed.

Normal set:

Cry For Help
Heroes
I Dare You
If You Only Knew
Junkies
Burning Bright
Call Me
Left Out
Sound of Madness
The Crow & The Butterfly
Cyanide
Fly
Second Chance
Save Me
Devour

They do not play for an hour.  Ever.  Brent's voice can't even hold up for over an hour.  The shows are the same every time too...they play every single they've ever produced (.45, Fly From The Inside, Burning Bright, Heroes, Save Me, I Dare You, Devour, Sound of Madness, Second Chance), and then they'll play 3-4 songs of the new album, probably two of the heavy ones like Cry for Help and Cyanide, and then some of the lame, radio-ready crap that they put out on SoM, like Call Me or If You Only Knew. :\ 

You're VERY lucky if you ever catch one of their old gems from LaW or UaT, like Crying Out/Stranger Inside/Beyond the Sun.  Most predictable setlist ever...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
I am a fan, but Brent Smith is average. I have seen them twice (should have been three times) and both times, dude failed to deliver.

First was opening for Van Halen in 2004. He COULD NOT sing, at all. I was dead center, and he ran around so much, he couldn't hit any of the notes. Hearing him gasp for air and not hit anything in "Fly From the Inside" was painful.

The second time was when Shinedown SHOULD have opened for Rob Zombie and Godsmack. They called in sick, apparently with Brent having "vocal issues. " So instead, Godsmack had Shinedown's songs, in elevator music format (without vocals) played during the 45 minutes they were set to perform. Hysterical.

The third time was at the Pain in the Grass Festival in 2008 in Washington (State). Again, guy comes out blazing. He blows out his voice halfway through and even apologies to the crowd for it, and can't really sing the rest of the way (although he tried).

So I gotta say, I am very UNIMPRESSED with Brent and Shinedown as a live act. Musically, the band is fine. They dress like a bunch of emo guys trying to play hard rock, but image issues aside, they are solid. But vocally, Brent Smith needs SERIOUS vocal coaching. He has a good voice. He just needs to know how to better use it, protect it and train it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
I am a fan, but Brent Smith is average. I have seen them twice (should have been three times) and both times, dude failed to deliver.

First was opening for Van Halen in 2004. He COULD NOT sing, at all. I was dead center, and he ran around so much, he couldn't hit any of the notes. Hearing him gasp for air and not hit anything in "Fly From the Inside" was painful.

The second time was when Shinedown SHOULD have opened for Rob Zombie and Godsmack. They called in sick, apparently with Brent having "vocal issues. " So instead, Godsmack had Shinedown's songs, in elevator music format (without vocals) played during the 45 minutes they were set to perform. Hysterical.

The third time was at the Pain in the Grass Festival in 2008 in Washington (State). Again, guy comes out blazing. He blows out his voice halfway through and even apologies to the crowd for it, and can't really sing the rest of the way (although he tried).

So I gotta say, I am very UNIMPRESSED with Brent and Shinedown as a live act. Musically, the band is fine. They dress like a bunch of emo guys trying to play hard rock, but image issues aside, they are solid. But vocally, Brent Smith needs SERIOUS vocal coaching. He has a good voice. He just needs to know how to better use it, protect it and train it.

I could not agree with this more.

It's obvious that Brent beats the living HELL out of his voice, and while his enthusiasm is appreciated, he is not going to last long in this business with that kind of approach.  He probably abuses his voice with at least mild alcohol, something a singer should never indulge in as it dries out your throat INCREDIBLY, and he probably has not receive proper vocal training.

When Brent has had a few days to rest his voice and does a quiet acoustic set, he sounds REALLY GOOD.  It's like night and day.  But with Shinedown's usual schedule of shows every single night back to back everywhere they go, it's very wearing on the voice, especially when you are traveling so much and abusing it so much each night on stage.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »
Anyone got the setlist from last night and/or tonight?

And...I think I might be going with TDoL! :victorydance:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:58:15 PM by 73109 »

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 10:25:18 AM »
I just heard the track from the Alice In Wonderland soundtrack. It was pretty damn cool.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 07:05:21 PM »
This thread needs to be bumped.

Shinedown is incredible. One of the best mainstream bands out there today. Leave a Whisper was my favorite album ever before I got into prog, but I still love it.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
Sound of Madness is better but you are correct. An amazing fucking band.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Shinedown is like Tool for me, in terms of how I rank their albums. I don't. I just really fucking enjoy all three of them.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 07:12:37 PM »
Maybe SOM is better, but Leave a Whisper has the nostalgia factor for me.
I AM A GUY

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
I CREATED THE SOUND OF MADNESS
WROTE THE BOOK ON PAIN

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:21 PM »
I'M STARIN' DOWN THE BARREL OF A .45
I AM A GUY

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
Maybe SOM is better, but Leave a Whisper has the nostalgia factor for me.
>Mom buys new CD from some band I never heard of
>Really, really enjoy said album during car rides
>Love Shinedown for years to come

Been listening to them since Leave a Whisper was released. Seen them live once. And yeah, I still have some of that nostalgia factor as well.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
Aren't these guys due for another album soon?  I dug Sound Of Madness, especially their title track, but the previous two albums felt rather mundane and boring, save for a handful of songs (.45, Heroes, Lady So Divine, and Fly From The Inside).  I'm interested to hear what they have in store for the future.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
I love their studio work, but the comments in this thread are not the only negative ones I've heard about their live performances.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »
Second Chance makes me feel good whenever it comes on the radio. :)
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.