Author Topic: Van Halen help  (Read 9360 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Van Halen help
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:56:28 PM »
Hey im looking to buy a couple Van Halen albums. I have 5150 and Van Halen, as well as The Best of Both Worlds Greatest Hits album. I guess the ones i should looking at buying are

VHII
Women and Children First
Fair Warning
Diver Down
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

i think those are the ones i need...?? Which ones are worth my money

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Van Halen help
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:07:37 AM »
I would say the first three especially...classic VH albums

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:12 AM »
VHII
Women and Children First
Fair Warning
Diver Down
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

i think those are the ones i need...?? Which ones are worth my money

Diver Down is pretty lame, but the rest are all worth getting, for sure.  Throw Balance in the mix, too.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:31 AM »
they are ALL worth the money....and while you're at it...get Sammy's Unboxed...because baby....there's only one way to ROCK!!!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:56 AM »
The Sammy stuff isn't worth your time, IMO, but all the Roth albums are classics.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »
The Sammy stuff isn't worth your time, IMO, but all the Roth albums are classics.

Well, the Sammy stuff is OK, but true Van Halen is the Roth era.

Diver Down is easily the worst of the 6 Roth albums, but they are all worth getting.

Remember though, each Roth/VH era albums only run about 35 minutes each! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »
The Sammy stuff isn't worth your time.

Blasphemer.

I'd go with VHII, 1984, and F.U.C.K.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »
Coz, I love VHII and take it over their first album anyday. But I prefer WACF and FW. Funny thing is about 1984, once you get past the shit (Jump/Panama), it actually might be their "heaviest" album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
Jump and Panama shit? LOL

And VH2 has nothing on the first album, although it's still good.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »

And VH2 has nothing on the first album, although it's still good.
Hey they're both great! I just prefer VHII. I love I'm The One and On Fire from the first album.

VH is very underappriciated, and I can't believe how little I hear of them on this forum. It's a band that everyone needs to hear. Forget the Sammy stuff, their formula was set by then, but you cannot beat the energy from those DLR era albums.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 10:27:36 AM »
TAC, please stop losing cool points by disrespecting the Hagar era.

Roth was fun, but he was also a fool and a buffoon, and is the second-luckiest person in the history of rock and roll (right behind Ringo Starr).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Get all the ones you listed, they're all amazing. Diver Down's got nothing on the others but it's a good listen. Don't listen to other people, the Hagar era has got some great stuff. Such as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFUVmLVqRzc

DRILLLLLLLLLLLLL

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »

Roth was fun, but he was also a fool and a buffoon, and is the second-luckiest person in the history of rock and roll (right behind Ringo Starr).

LOL! Stop it hef!  I'd go with Fair Warning and Balence.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 12:25:47 PM »
I saw VanHagar...on the balance tour..must have been late 90's.....before the interwebz really got going...I had no idea he used a real drill.....i was 4 rows back in general..he comes out with the red and white drill... i just about lost my mind....

Michael Anthony and an I shared a beer.
(on a competley unrelated note i probably have hepatitis A through L, but it was worth it)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
Now he only used a drill as far as holding in in front of the pickups to make noise.  For ACTUAL drill usage, see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-C-oS--xQ

Starts at around 2:40.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

VH is very underappriciated, and I can't believe how little I hear of them on this forum. It's a band that everyone needs to hear. Forget the Sammy stuff, their formula was set by then, but you cannot beat the energy from those DLR era albums.

Well this is a prog focused forum, so there are many great bands that get overlooked here. I'm usually apprehensive about starting threads about rock stuff because while there are plenty of us who would discuss the rock, the threads often get bogged down with haters.

I wouldn't count out the Sammy stuff entirely though. It's obviously not the same caliber of the DLR stuff, but I find it's better not to compare them and just treat them as different bands. Sammy Hagar is an incredible singer, and there are plenty of great Van Hagar songs, especially if you like the ballads. But at the same time, it does lack the spirit of rock that the earlier albums had.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:39:25 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »
WaCF and FW are the tops, IMO.  The prior being one of those life-altering albums for me growing up.  I often overlook II because it had the singles that define what I hated about VH, but it also had some great music.  Diver Down was where they started their decline, I think, and 1984 was shit (just my personal opinion).  I don't really give the Hagar era much though. 

DLR was one of the ultimate front men.  While the man wasn't much of a lead singer,  he was a huge part of the band's identity.  I don't consider it luck when you invent a style. 

And if you wanna talk about the luckiest people in rock, his bass player is among the upper echelon.  His background vocals were a key part of their music, but as a musician, he was dead weight. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
:lol
Hey thanks! I didn't know I had cool points to lose!

I wouldn't count out the Sammy stuff entirely though. It's obviously not the same caliber of the DLR stuff, but I find it's better not to compare them and just treat them as different bands. Sammy Hagar is an incredible singer, and there are plenty of great Van Hagar songs, especially if you like the ballads. But at the same time, it does lack the spirit of rock that the earlier albums had.

I don't really compare them. It IS really like 2 different bands. Truth be told, I'm not really a Sammy fan anyway. I do think they had some decent songs, but I haven't bothered to trade in my old cassettes for any Van Hagar CDs.

I went to see Van Hagar live plenty of times and they really were great shows.

and 1984 was shit (just my personal opinion).   

Well Bart, I can understand that, but after the "hits" (Jump/Panama/I'll Wait), there's some serios rockin' going on. I'd ask you to give it another chance.
Tracks like Drop Dead Legs, House Of Pain, Top Jimmy, Hot For Teacher, and Girl Gone Bad make this a lot more solid album than it's typically given credit for. It contains some of their heaviest playing, almost on par with Fair Warning.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
Coz, I love VHII and take it over their first album anyday.

:eek :eek :eek Yikes, I cannot agree with that.  I think II is easily their second worst album of the Roth era (only better than the mediocre Diver Down).  It has a few good songs, but it cannot touch I or Fair Warning, easily the two best they did with Roth, and Women and Children First and 1984 are also considerably better, IMO. :)

Forget the Sammy stuff

Rubbish. :p

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is great (probably THE heaviest VH record to date, and doesn't have any of those sappy ballads that can be found on the other Van Hagar records), Balance is probably their most underrated record to date (very solid the whole way through, and with three or four truly great VH songs), and 5150 is good, as well (even though it sounds very dated).

And I gotta give a shout-out to III, the Cherone record.  It is a lot better than most give it credit for being.  No, it isn't as good as their best records, but it is better than the two worst Roth era records, as well as OU812.  There are some damn fine songs on that record.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 07:53:50 AM »
Hey Kev..Happy New year! :lol

Never checked out III.

I actually like OU812, and I know F.U.C.K. is pretty heavy. Perhaps I'll go back and give my tapes a listen, but like I said, I'm just not into Sammy....and I found those albums with him, though well constructed on their own, lack a certain spontineity that the Roth albums did....but then again, it's been over 15 years since I've listened to the Van Hagar albums....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:05:10 AM by TAC »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »
I willl admit that Van Hagar never had the balls out boogie-style tunes that the Roth era had, like Hot for Teacher, but they were good in a different way with Sammy.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 11:18:27 PM »
I willl admit that Van Hagar never had the balls out boogie-style tunes that the Roth era had, like Hot for Teacher, but they were good in a different way with Sammy.
Wholeheartedly agree. They were good in the "pump your fist out of your window singing Why Can't This Be Love" sense of good. Which is still damn good in my book. :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 11:55:22 PM »
Hey Kev..Happy New year! :lol

Same to you. ;) :lol  :biggrin:

Never checked out III.

You should.  It is a good CD once you get used to the fact that neither DLR nor Hagar is the vocalist on it.

I actually like OU812, and I know F.U.C.K. is pretty heavy. Perhaps I'll go back and give my tapes a listen, but like I said, I'm just not into Sammy....and I found those albums with him, though well constructed on their own, lack a certain spontineity that the Roth albums did....but then again, it's been over 15 years since I've listened to the Van Hagar albums....

The Roth albums definitely have a more raw and fun vibe to them, and VH is definitely fun party music, so I hear what you are saying. :)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 12:25:45 AM »
My second VH album was Balance. Great album.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
Without reading the whole thread, I'm just gonna say, sir, all you need is their best album, which is Balance. It is indeed one of the finest rock-and-roll albums in my opinion.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
Never checked out III.

You should.  It is a good CD once you get used to the fact that neither DLR nor Hagar is the vocalist on it.

The only part I'm familiar with is A Year to the Day, which I thought was quite good.  I've always meant to give the album a chance, but never got around to it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
I never have given it a shot, either...listening to year to the day now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »
"Year to the Day" is pretty good, but I think "Dirty Water Dog" and "Fire in the Hole" are the most likely songs to appeal to those wanting a return to the VH days of old.  And while it is very different for them, I think "Once" is one of the best songs VH ever did. 

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
cool, buying those songs right now and will check out tomorrow...thanks

Offline TTTSTA

• GRRRRR
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »
GET VHII! It's my personal favorite!

Sig removed for being too Gaahl!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »
Van Halen = great summer music...Always!

NP: "And the Cradle Will Rock..." :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 09:48:19 AM »
Summer is not complete without Van Halen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 09:53:03 AM »
Absolutely! Let's get in the time machine and set it on 1981.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »
You can drop me off in 1886.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
You can drop me off in 1886.
:lol

OK.. I'll be sure to pick you up on the way back!