Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232713 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Marillion
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2011, 11:22:16 PM »
I really wish I had the 2 disc version of Marbles. Drilling Holes, and The Invisible Man are my faves from it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
Less than a month 'til Marillion Weekend in Montreal!  :caffeine:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2011, 09:23:38 AM »
https://www.dprp.net/wp/?p=1061

Marillion announces licensing deal with Snapper

10 Marillion audio and visual back catalogue titles originally released on Marillion’s own label Racket Records, have been licensed by Snapper Music to be reissued worldwide in deluxe packaging.

Marillion formed in 1979 and have sold over 15 million albums worldwide.  Rightly regarded as legends of progressive rock, the band have also continued to evolve and have been keen to embrace the possibilities of the internet, using innovative ways to interact with their audience resulting in an incredibly loyal legion of fans around the world.  They were one of the first bands to have their own website and have been rightly acknowledged as internet pioneers.

The Marillion catalogue re-launch will start in April with a 2CD edition of the acclaimed 2004 release Marbles, which includes the Top Ten Single ‘You’re Gone’.

Racket Records’ Lucy Jordache says “we run a very successful direct to the fans business, but we know that some Marillion fans still want to purchase their CDs and DVDs directly from traditional retailers and Snapper has a proven track record on delivering successful campaigns to retail which is why we chose to do this deal with them.”

Snapper’s Johnny Wilks notes “We are delighted to have secured this deal with Racket Records. This is a great opportunity for retailers around the world to carry classic Marillion back catalogue much of which has previously only been available via mail order”

Interesting... Looks like the albums after Afraid Of Sunlight might get the 2CD Deluxe Package treatment like their first 8 albums were through EMI, starting with a NEW re-re-release of Marbles. I already own the "retail" 2CD version from Racket Records, but if the packaging looks nice, I may have to get Snapper's version as well. Snapper's PT re-releases are really nice, so I'm looking forward to this.

It says 10 albums, so I can only guess the following:
Anoraknophobia (w/ Bonus disc and at least "Number One")
Marbles
Somewhere Else (w/ Something Else DVD?)
Anorak In The UK (RR had a 2CD version)
Brave Live 2002 (God I hope so, I really want this!)
Marbles By The Sea
Smoke
Mirrors
Popular Music
Piston Broke

If it's not even half of those, I'd be happy, but I'd like to get a the set of Smoke/Mirrors/MBTS without having to pay $200+ for all of them. Then again, I probably shouldn't talk considering how much I've spent on "catching up" on their Racket Records releases in the last two years...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:09 AM »
Hooray!  A new legitimate way of getting the 2CD version of Marbles!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQGaBYSx1c

Just amazing.  Makes me teary.  :)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2011, 02:54:39 AM »
Man, I hope they release and tour their new album soon. Being at a Marillion concert must be such a great experience.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
It's amazing.  I've only seen them twice (Marbles tour in '04 and Marillion Weekend in '09) because they pretty much never come to North America, but they put on one hell of a show.  And the crowds are so intense. 

This was the crowd reaction after they played "This Strange Engine".  (And, keep in mind, this was NOT the end of the set... they just pretty much had to stop for a bit because the crowd wouldn't let up.  This went on for like 3 or 4 minutes).  It was (eventually) followed by Neverland...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E7eF4MEhTk

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQGaBYSx1c

Just amazing.  Makes me teary.  :)

There were tears of joy (just wow) until he ruined it by singing.

WHY? There was no reason for him to sing that. Does it always have to be about him?

I can't even imagine what that would have been like if the crowd alone just sung the whole song. What would have been wrong with that?

Despite that, it must have been one hell of a vibe.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
WHY? There was no reason for him to sing that. Does it always have to be about him?

Well he IS the lead singer of the band now.  Its kind of his job to sing stuff, crazy as that sounds.  And its always cool to hear H's take on Fish stuff, and that song is really the only Fish song they play with any regularity now, right? 

I mean, H CAN let the crowd sing stuff.  There's a youtube video somewhere with the band playing Wish You Were Here, the crowd started singing along REALLY loudly, and he just smiled and walked off the stage.  So quit yer whining.  H > Fish anyways.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »

Well he IS the lead singer of the band now.  Its kind of his job to sing stuff, crazy as that sounds.  And its always cool to hear H's take on Fish stuff, and that song is really the only Fish song they play with any regularity now, right? 

I mean, H CAN let the crowd sing stuff.  There's a youtube video somewhere with the band playing Wish You Were Here, the crowd started singing along REALLY loudly, and he just smiled and walked off the stage.  So quit yer whining.  H > Fish anyways.

They really don't play ANY pre-89 stuff with regularity (that I know of). He did it a lot more during the first few tours with Marillion.  I'm not saying he has no right to sing that (Well, I am, but that's not really my point). The way it started, it was going to be the most beautiful thing ever and he could have acknowledged that and just let it be. That's all I'm saying.

Hell, at NEARfest in 2008 Fish was singing that and I wished he would have shut his yap during the song too. (But then I'm into audience participation)

Not getting into the Hogarth-Fish "debate."
It's been over 20 years now and Nick will take more enjoyment from his Fish>H argument than I will because half of the time, I have no problem with Hogarth anyway.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
I'm sure the people who were there had no problem with Hogarth singing the song.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »
:heart Marillion.  I think they may have just moved up a spot on my favourite bands.  I just looooove them so much.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
Just got back from Marillion Weekend in Montreal.  Holy crap.  Night 1 was "Holidays in Eden", plus B-sides and a few others.  Night 2 was an "A to Z" setlist, where they played one song starting with each letter from A - Z, with the exceptions of I (for "Intermission") and X (for "X-tra Intermission).  For "Z" they played a medley of Separated Out, Black Dog and Kashmir, which they called "Zeparated Out".  Night 3 was a sort of "choose-your-own-set" setlist, where for each spot in the set, they'd give us a choice between two songs and we'd have to vote for one.  Although for the encore, we had to choose between "The Great Escape" and "Easter", but everybody kept chanting "Both" until they caved.  Earlier in the night, we had to choose between "This Strange Engine" and "Ocean Cloud", and Ocean Cloud won, but just barely, and the crowd kept demanding This Strange Engine... so after the band had played Easter and left the stage, the house lights came back on, the house music started played and people started filing out... but then they retook the stage for an impromptu 4th encore and played This Strange Engine.  Holy awesome.

Full setlists here: https://betterwayoflife.wordpress.com/

Oh, and p.s. ~ h told us they're planning a US tour for Summer 2012.  :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:10:22 PM by ZeppelinDT »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
Sounds like a good time.  I haven't seen them since Brave, and was only my second time, having seen them on Clutching at Straws too.

And I will kindly stay out of the whole Hogarth vs Fish thingy.  They are two different bands with each singer, and both have their plusses and minuses.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:21 PM »
SUMMER TOUR?

ITS NEVER GOING TO COME ANYWHERE CLOSE TO THE SOUTH BUT HOLY DAMN THE POSSIBILITY THAT IT COULD HAS ME GIDDY.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
US SUMMER TOUR IN 2012?!?!? AHHHHHHHHHH!! YESSSSS!!!!...*ahem*...

Hopefully (and probably) in support of their upcoming album?

I look forward to seeing them, if I can scrounge up the cash for tickets and if a show is near enough (although anything in MD, VA or PA would be great!).

Also, I cannot wait to get the 2011 Weekend DVD/CDs from RacketRecords, whenever they eventually decide to release them. Between all three nights, each of Marbles's three epics was played as well as "This Strange Engine" and many more great classics!

Good stuff and I hope they release the 2011 Weekend stuff pretty soon!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
It seems as if I do this in every band thread but which Marillion album should I check out first?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2011, 05:50:27 AM »
Marbles

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »
Clutching at Straws or Script for a Jester's Tear.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
Sounds like Marillion weekend was a hit (Still recovering from Rush weekend myself)

A tour in 2012 would be nice provided the new album is strong (if there is one).

I just stumbled on the Live in Cadogan Hall CD set at a record show last week. Only listened to it a few times, but the second disc is much better than the first one and I didn't like some of the rearrangments of a few songs. One being The Space. Very mellow recording in any case. I actually liked what they did with Hard as Love here.  I really didn't like it on Brave and it just seems to have a lot more depth and sincerity here. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »
Bumping this up for two reasons - I could use more voters in my Marillion Survivor!!! I know there are more than 3-4 Marillion fans here, so if you can take a few minutes every other day to vote in my Survivor, that would be awesome! We're about half-way through Holidays In Eden, which I'll admit is one of the weaker of the band's first 4 albums with H, but it's still got some good stuff on it.

Also, I bought the Marillion Friday Night Live CD set, and when I purchased the CDs on Racket, they said the slipcase for the whole set (3 shows) had sold out, it was to my pleasant surprise to find my package had contained the slipcase for the 3 jewel cases! Bonus! I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but it should be some good stuff considering they LOVE to play whole albums! I'm just glad they've released them on CD now!

-Marc.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
UK Christmas shows in December! Whoo! It's been a long time!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
 :metal I'll be at Manchester!  :)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
Re-bump for updating my Survivor and discussion about Brave! What's everyone's thoughts on this concept album? Do you like or even understand the story? What about the music?

Share your thoughts here and please vote in my Survivor! I hope because Brave is one of the band's more well-known albums that I'll get more than 3-4 votes per round this time! :tup

-Marc.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
I do like Brave, but I don't think I've listened to it in about a year.  I'll change that soon.  It was one of the albums, along with SFAM that got me into prog and modern music in the first place, so its a pretty important album for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »
Re-bump for updating my Survivor and discussion about Brave! What's everyone's thoughts on this concept album? Do you like or even understand the story? What about the music?

Share your thoughts here and please vote in my Survivor! I hope because Brave is one of the band's more well-known albums that I'll get more than 3-4 votes per round this time! :tup

-Marc.

I guess I'll be THAT guy again.

This album turned me from being an absolute Marillion fanatic (and collector) to just a fan.

Brave puts me to sleep (The version on Made Again is a slight improvement). I've always respected the attempt at the time to try something different but this album does nothing for me. I suppose you could make the argument that it was necessary to get to albums like This Strange Engine,  Radiat10n, or even Somewhere Else.

I also thought that the "story" could be told more economically.  I don't really like much of what Rothery is doing on this album either, which is kind of rare for me.

I don't get much passion or inspiration from that album. I still listen to it about once a year since its release to see if it clicks or I missed something, but it just doesn't happen for me.  (I even watched the video a few times and that didn't convert me either)

Brave and Afraid of Sunlight are the only Marillion albums I have not totally gotten into.  I pretty much love the rest of them (although Less is More isn't much better either).

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
WAT

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »
"Marbles on vinyl"

AFAIK, the track listing on the vinyl version of Marbles is the 1CD track list, and omits the best song on the album, "Ocean Cloud" :-[

It *looks* pretty neat, though! :tup

-Marc.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
WAT

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?

They announced it a couple of months ago.  Pre-ordered it back then, but it just finally shipped this week.

"Marbles on vinyl"

AFAIK, the track listing on the vinyl version of Marbles is the 1CD track list, and omits the best song on the album, "Ocean Cloud" :-[

It *looks* pretty neat, though! :tup

-Marc.

Yeah, I'm a little bummed that it's the 1-disc version, but the 1-disc version on vinyl is better than no vinyl at all.

Also, the best song on the album is Neverland, not Ocean Cloud.  :P

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2011, 02:19:59 PM »
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Allthough marilion has great songs with H and hes great sttl marillion with fish is what counts for me.
That era the music the artwork...more than aweome.

Forgotten sons ....do i need to say more?
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
Allthough marilion has great songs with H and hes great sttl marillion with fish is what counts for me.

Love Forgottten Son's. :hefdaddy

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #209 on: June 10, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »

Love Forgottten Son's. :hefdaddy

I'm not getting drawn into the Fish/Hogarth thing, but the best version of Forgotten Sons I think I've ever heard was from the Recital of Script recording. There are some other great ones from those years that are nearly as good, but I've always thought that one was the best.