Author Topic: Marillion  (Read 232731 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Marillion
« Reply #1015 on: January 20, 2018, 02:34:39 AM »
Marouette Jam is the best track from those sessions and it never made the freaking album!

Part of it did. The Slide.

Online gborland

« Reply #1016 on: January 20, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »
A hi-res Steven Wilson remaster of one of my favourite albums of all time. Yes please!
Graham Borland

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1017 on: January 20, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
Deluxe reissue of Brave coming in March.

That's cool.  I'll buy that.   That's the full show from Made Again (Made Again had only the Brave portion).

My brother had Made Again on CD but I never tracked it down for myself. I was gonna get this anyway, Marillion is pretty much an auto-buy for me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1018 on: January 22, 2018, 08:20:47 AM »

I'm almost 100 percent sure this will be the only Marillion deluxe I'm passing on.

I'm kind of idly wondering if a Steven Wilson remix will do anything to change my opinion of it. But if it's not going to move mountains I'm not going to bother with it. I have Made Again and while I think it's a slight improvement over the studio record, it's not enough to make me reach for it much.

Are you a 5.1 guy?   I feel like of all the Marillion albums, this is the one that will benefit the most from a 5.1 mix.  It's a dense record, and it's a complicated (for them) record.    That's what I'm looking forward to the most, not any subtle changes that Steven might bring to the stereo mix.   

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #1019 on: January 23, 2018, 05:49:24 AM »
Saw Fish play Clutching at Straws in its entirety at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Absolutely magnificent, especially for someone who was told they'd never be able to sing again. I'll be sad when his next, "final" album is out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: January 23, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
I think this partial quote from the article - "Thinking is no longer actually required..." - says it all.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: January 23, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
I just replayed Brave for the first time in a while... what a great album.  Really fired up for this reissue.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1023 on: January 23, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
I just replayed Brave for the first time in a while... what a great album.  Really fired up for this reissue.

I haven't heard the album, but I completely disagree with this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: January 23, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »

Do you disagree with everything Stadler says?

Well.... you have taken a stand at least

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: January 23, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »

If nothing else, you have to admire his integrity.   :)

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1026 on: January 23, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »
I think Adami is just very good at gentle trolling

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1027 on: January 23, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »

If nothing else, you have to admire his integrity.   :)

Hard to disagree with that.

But I’m going to anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1028 on: January 24, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »
Saw Fish play Clutching at Straws in its entirety at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Absolutely magnificent, especially for someone who was told they'd never be able to sing again. I'll be sad when his next, "final" album is out.

I'm trying not to hate you, and failing miserably.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: January 24, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »

I saw the 13th Star tour, and while it wasn't the whole album, it was seven out of eleven songs, and while it was very very good - and special from the "event" aspect of it, he did struggle.  He's not the Fish of 1988 (no one expects him to be) but that material exposes that pretty clearly.   In all fairness, though, for whatever reason, he wasn't in a great mood before the show (I met him and he was rather curt to some of the fans, including my 7 year old daughter) and that carried over into the show (someone took a photo during the show - after he asked that no one take any photos - and he stopped the show, made the audience in front of the guy move aside so the guy was highlighted, and called him a "TWAT!".  Funny for everyone else, but pretty uncalled for.)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1030 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »

I saw the 13th Star tour, and while it wasn't the whole album, it was seven out of eleven songs, and while it was very very good - and special from the "event" aspect of it, he did struggle.  He's not the Fish of 1988 (no one expects him to be) but that material exposes that pretty clearly.   In all fairness, though, for whatever reason, he wasn't in a great mood before the show (I met him and he was rather curt to some of the fans, including my 7 year old daughter) and that carried over into the show (someone took a photo during the show - after he asked that no one take any photos - and he stopped the show, made the audience in front of the guy move aside so the guy was highlighted, and called him a "TWAT!".  Funny for everyone else, but pretty uncalled for.)
I was there
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: January 24, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
Hopefully you weren't the guy that took the picture...   :) :)    Did I remember it right?  (I was in the back). 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1032 on: January 24, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
I saw him at NEARfest on that tour. Got a picture with him early in the day, and he was nice enough, and seemed in good spirits during the show. And yeah, definitely sounded better on his 13th Star material than Clutching stuff.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1033 on: January 24, 2018, 08:15:49 AM »
Here we go, and yes, my exact thoughts at this point was, "yeah, he is fucking tall".

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #1034 on: January 24, 2018, 08:53:29 AM »

:rollin

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: January 24, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »

:rollin

Mee too....

Doris Brendel as support and background singer to Fish.... would have loved to see that

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1036 on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »
Hopefully you weren't the guy that took the picture...   :) :)    Did I remember it right?  (I was in the back).
Not me. I rarely ever take pictures at shows. That would mean I'd have to put my beer down.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: January 24, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Not me. I rarely ever take pictures at shows. That would mean I'd have to put my beer down.

Haha, you and me both. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: January 24, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »

Haha, you and me both.
I had forgotten how heated Fish got. I know he was hanging at some local bar before the show and said for fans to come out and say hi. I regretted not going. Maybe I could have put him in a better move with my sense of humor! Either that or he might have pummeled me in anger?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:57 PM »

Haha, you and me both.
I had forgotten how heated Fish got. I know he was hanging at some local bar before the show and said for fans to come out and say hi. I regretted not going. Maybe I could have put him in a better move with my sense of humor! Either that or he might have pummeled me in anger?

There was a snafu with that.  The fans on his forum (at the time) agreed on "The Irish Times", about three blocks from the venue, and about four blocks from my house at the time, so I went there.   After arriving in Philly, he wanted to stay at "Manny Brown's" on South Street, about a block from the venue, but everyone was already committed to the Times.   Then when he got there was a mix up with merch; either it didn't show up or the owner said he couldn't sell it, I don't remember which.  The idea was that the venue took a cut of the merch, so he would set up a stall at the bar and take the whole kit and caboodle, but it didn't happen for some reason (I know the owner of the Times, and it could have gone either way; I could absolutely see him saying "can't sell your shit here").   There were about 40 people at the Times (my daughter and I included) and he went through the line in a perfunctory way then left in a mood.   

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1040 on: January 24, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »

Haha, you and me both.

There was a snafu with that.  The fans on his forum (at the time) agreed on "The Irish Times", about three blocks from the venue, and about four blocks from my house at the time, so I went there.   After arriving in Philly, he wanted to stay at "Manny Brown's" on South Street, about a block from the venue, but everyone was already committed to the Times.   Then when he got there was a mix up with merch; either it didn't show up or the owner said he couldn't sell it, I don't remember which.  The idea was that the venue took a cut of the merch, so he would set up a stall at the bar and take the whole kit and caboodle, but it didn't happen for some reason (I know the owner of the Times, and it could have gone either way; I could absolutely see him saying "can't sell your shit here").   There were about 40 people at the Times (my daughter and I included) and he went through the line in a perfunctory way then left in a mood.
Woah wait...
Your talking about a show in Philly? I'm talking about Toads Place in New Haven. Were you not at the Connecticut show?
Was he pissed off every show of the tour? In New Haven he threaten to beat up a heckler if I recall correctly?  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: January 25, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
Yeah, Philly.  He got hot at Toad's too?   Must have been a hell of a tour for him.  :)   

I like Fish a lot - certainly as far as Marillion goes, if I had to pick one and only one, I'd say I'm "Team Fish" - but it's almost as entertaining as the music to watch the emotional rollercoaster that is his career.   Every two years or so there's a new "Cunning Plan" that for whatever reason goes off the rails wildly.   I wish him no ill-will, of course, but still. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1042 on: January 25, 2018, 08:25:29 AM »
Yeah, Philly.  He got hot at Toad's too?   Must have been a hell of a tour for him.  :)   

I like Fish a lot - certainly as far as Marillion goes, if I had to pick one and only one, I'd say I'm "Team Fish" - but it's almost as entertaining as the music to watch the emotional rollercoaster that is his career.   Every two years or so there's a new "Cunning Plan" that for whatever reason goes off the rails wildly.   I wish him no ill-will, of course, but still.
In fairness to Fish its not easy trying to make ends meet doing what he does. I'm sure its quite stressful.

and he was definitely hot at Toads. In you live in CT why did you go to Philly and not New Haven?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: January 25, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »

In fairness to Fish its not easy trying to make ends meet doing what he does. I'm sure its quite stressful.

and he was definitely hot at Toads. In you live in CT why did you go to Philly and not New Haven?

I am originally from CT (1967 to '98) and live here now (since 2013 or so).   At that time I was in Philly (I lived there from '08 till I moved back here).  I still drive to Philly on occasion to see shows.  There are so many great places to see bands there, and they get some cool shows.   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1044 on: January 26, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
Marouette Jam is the best track from those sessions and it never made the freaking album!

Part of it did. The Slide.

You're right, but not nearly enough.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1045 on: January 26, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »

I'm almost 100 percent sure this will be the only Marillion deluxe I'm passing on.

I'm kind of idly wondering if a Steven Wilson remix will do anything to change my opinion of it. But if it's not going to move mountains I'm not going to bother with it. I have Made Again and while I think it's a slight improvement over the studio record, it's not enough to make me reach for it much.

Are you a 5.1 guy?   I feel like of all the Marillion albums, this is the one that will benefit the most from a 5.1 mix.  It's a dense record, and it's a complicated (for them) record.    That's what I'm looking forward to the most, not any subtle changes that Steven might bring to the stereo mix.

Not a 5.1 guy.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1046 on: January 26, 2018, 06:20:32 PM »

I have to say I'm much more excited for his new album and hearing solo tracks live than hearing him do anything from the Marillion days.

Some of his new arrangements work, but I have way too many miles and time invested in his time with the band for me to enjoy much of it. Way to too easy to throw on a live recording from those days and just be in total bliss in the experience of it all.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1047 on: January 26, 2018, 06:22:09 PM »

I was there

As was I.....

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: January 27, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
Anyone going to the Pittsburgh show? I'm road tripping it from Connecticut. About 8 hours.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1049 on: January 29, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Anyone going to the Pittsburgh show? I'm road tripping it from Connecticut. About 8 hours.

Nope. It's 5 hours away on a weeknight. Not happening.

First US Tour I've missed since those fan-funded gigs for Afraid Of Sunlight. Chose to miss that one.

I guess I choose to miss this one too, but I'd go if the circumstances allowed for it.