Author Topic: Billy Joel Appreciation  (Read 12990 times)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
Re: Billy Joel Appreciation
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 01:50:03 PM »
Good to know.  I'll never meet her, and would never have a chance, but somehow it's comforting to know that there's one more Italian babe out there who's indeed hot.

If she ever becomes single you'd have to fight me for her :).  (I already spent like a year trying in spite of the fact that she's "taken").

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »
Love Billy and saw him on the 94 tour with Elton John.  Great show with way too many hits.  My favorite Billy song is Goodnight Saigon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 02:52:38 PM »
Coming soon to a theater near you!

https://thelastplayatshea.com/

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
Love Billy and saw him on the 94 tour with Elton John.  Great show with way too many hits.  My favorite Billy song is Goodnight Saigon.

I love that song too

Hell, there's hardly a Billy Joel song I DON'T love :D

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »

:tup Gonna see if my dad wants to go to that with me, hes a pretty big Billy Joel fan. I was going through my records the other day and I found a tour program from 76/77 inside of "The Stranger" from when he saw him in Boston.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »

:tup Gonna see if my dad wants to go to that with me, hes a pretty big Billy Joel fan. I was going through my records the other day and I found a tour program from 76/77 inside of "The Stranger" from when he saw him in Boston.

What is it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »

What is it?

Wait, what is what? I'm confused.  :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
The Last Play At Shea

I don't understand what it is. The link didn't really explain it

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
The Last Play At Shea

I don't understand what it is. The link didn't really explain it

Oh, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure its just the concert footage from Billy Joel's last concert at the Shea Stadium in New York before they tore it down. I think he was the last artist to play there. I can't remember when they tore it down, but it wasn't all that long ago.

EDIT - Some more info about the concert:
From wikipedia
The stadium has hosted numerous concerts since, the last being a two-night engagement by Billy Joel on July 16, and July 18, 2008. The concerts were dubbed the "Last Play at Shea," and featured many special guest appearances, including former Beatle Paul McCartney who closed the second show with an emotional rendition of The Beatles classic "Let It Be". Other artists that joined Joel on stage for the show were former Shea performer Roger Daltrey of The Who, Tony Bennett, Don Henley, John Mayer, John Mellencamp, Garth Brooks, and Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. The concerts are the subject of a documentary film of the same name, which uses the concerts and Shea's history to tell the story of changes in American suburban life.[37]

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »
^^^^^

This.  Billy Joel played two nights at Shea Stadium on July 16th and 18th, 2008, and had a bunch of guests come out and join him, including Tony Bennet, John Mayer, John Mellencamp and Don Henley on the 16th and Garth Brooks, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltrey and Paul McCartney on the 18th.

I was at the July 16th show and it was phenomenal.  Although I still hold a bit of a grudge about how it was all handled, because they announced the 16th show first, and it was hell trying to get tickets, but a bunch of us kept trying to get through and we eventually did.  But the show sold out almost immediately, due in no small part to the fact that this was billed as the last show ever at Shea Stadium, and then a few days later they decided to add a second show on the 18th, basically saying "fuck you" to all the people who bought tickets for the show on the 16th.  The second show ended up being the real "last show ever" and obviously had all of the better guests... including the Billy Joel/Paul McCartney encore duets of "I Saw Her Standing There", "Piano Man" and "Let It Be" (which were all originally intended for the 16th show).

>:(

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »
Thats pretty stupid. If they were going to add a second show (which they probably knew before the first one sold out) they could have atleast had the courtesy to do it a couple days BEFORE your show.

But this is the music industry, so its not surprising when things like that happen, sadly.  :P I'm sure the first night was awesome too.  :tup

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »
Yeah, I mean... the show I saw was definitely amazing.  And tbh, I don't even really care about the "last show ever" part... I'm just really bummed that I missed out on the Billy Joel/Paul McCartney encore... and also - to a slightly lesser degree - the fact that he played "Summer, Highland Falls" on the 18th, but not at the show I was at.  (Probably one of my top 5 Billy Joel songs).

Offline Harmony

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2022, 08:31:18 AM »
If you consider yourself an old fogie you might appreciate this.

I consider myself a pretty big fan of Billy Joel, but I never knew anything about this.  What a cast!  And how do you pronounce the creator's last name?   :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJiyeD2dzhw
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »
That's fantastic, but I have no idea what it is lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2022, 08:43:46 AM »
I think it is a pilot for a t.v. sitcom that never got produced.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »
Probably just a joke but I still did some digging…

The creators name doesn’t come up anywhere, but the three names listed as “developed by” are three well known producer names of sitcoms in the late 70’s.

Co-star Liberty DeVitto played drums for Joel.

The others listed in the cast are all real actors from the 70’s and 80’s.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kram

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
If you consider yourself an old fogie you might appreciate this.

I consider myself a pretty big fan of Billy Joel, but I never knew anything about this.  What a cast!  And how do you pronounce the creator's last name?   :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJiyeD2dzhw
Can't tell if this is real or some sort of joke.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2022, 01:25:06 PM »
I would guess it's a joke.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 03:30:07 PM »
I don't know that it's a joke.  I think either they were filming it for a video or they legit thought it could be a t.v. show like Welcome Back Kotter and Taxi.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2022, 05:16:10 PM »
So what happens when you make a biopic and you can't use the name of the star, his likeness, or use any of his music?

Would anyone even bother? 

https://consequence.net/2022/03/billy-joel-biopic-no-rights-greenlit/

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2022, 07:15:15 AM »
Side bar: Watching "This Is Us" (for my money, the best show on network television by a LONG shot and the first show in years that I am actually sad to see go) and there was a backstory about Jack and Miguel arguing about "The best Billy Joel song ever", and I turned to my wife and said "My vote?   'Vienna', or 'She's Always A Woman', from The Stranger".  Deep down I expected "Scenes", because it's sort of a hipster vote, but sure enough, the argument was between "Piano Man" and "She's Always A Woman".

Offline Trav86

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2022, 07:36:35 AM »
Side bar: Watching "This Is Us" (for my money, the best show on network television by a LONG shot and the first show in years that I am actually sad to see go) and there was a backstory about Jack and Miguel arguing about "The best Billy Joel song ever", and I turned to my wife and said "My vote?   'Vienna', or 'She's Always A Woman', from The Stranger".  Deep down I expected "Scenes", because it's sort of a hipster vote, but sure enough, the argument was between "Piano Man" and "She's Always A Woman".

Piano Man is for sure his signature song. I don’t know if it’s my favorite, but it’s hard to argue against it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
Piano Man is undoubtedly his signature song, but I will go to my grave arguing that Allentown is his best song. 

But if someone wants to argue in favor of Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, I will not fight back. ;)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2022, 08:13:56 AM »
... I will go to my grave arguing that Allentown is his best song. 

You may be right.

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2022, 08:25:05 AM »
I've always loved We Didn't Start the Fire. 

My freshman high school history teacher taught the song.  He broke down the lyrics by year and students had to research why that person/item was important in that specific year.  This was before the internet and before wikipedia.  I spent so many nights with my parents reading encyclopedias to get the answers.  Then at the end of class, every day for a month straight, we sang the song in class.  Nearly 30 years later and I still have the entire song memorized. 

But I was a kid in the 80's and his videos ruled my childhood - Uptown Girl, Allentown, The Longest Time.  Those are always my go-to Billy Joel songs, despite the popularity of Piano Man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2022, 08:27:18 AM »

You may be right.

Why must you go to extremes?

:P :P:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2022, 08:29:53 AM »
I've always loved We Didn't Start the Fire. 

My freshman high school history teacher taught the song.  He broke down the lyrics by year and students had to research why that person/item was important in that specific year.  This was before the internet and before wikipedia.  I spent so many nights with my parents reading encyclopedias to get the answers.  Then at the end of class, every day for a month straight, we sang the song in class.  Nearly 30 years later and I still have the entire song memorized. 

But I was a kid in the 80's and his videos ruled my childhood - Uptown Girl, Allentown, The Longest Time.  Those are always my go-to Billy Joel songs, despite the popularity of Piano Man.

We Didn't Start the Fire is fun with all of those cultural references, one after another, but I can't say it is one I go out of my way to hear anymore.

The Longest Time is amazing when you consider that the entire song is Joel's vocals (every single voice you hear in the song is his), a bass guitar and hand percussion (snaps and claps).

Offline Harmony

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2022, 08:53:28 AM »
Whattsamatta with the posts I'm reading?

Cantcha tell that you got side-eyed?

Maybe I should grab a shopping cart...

take it out for a fabulous ride.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2022, 09:00:27 AM »
HAHA!

The Longest Time is amazing when you consider that the entire song is Joel's vocals (every single voice you hear in the song is his), a bass guitar and hand percussion (snaps and claps).

It's not my favorite album - that's either The Stranger or Nylon Curtain - but that album is so impressive.  It's a concept album in a sense, as every track is an homage to the one of the groups (or styles) that influenced him.  My favorite is of course the title track, but that's me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2022, 09:03:29 AM »

You may be right.

Why must you go to extremes?

:P :P:

Because he's a big shot.

Offline Kram

« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2022, 09:44:59 AM »
Vienna's a good one.  I'll throw a few more at you that I love - Goodnight Saigon, Honesty, Zanzibar, The Downeaster "Alexa", Leningrad, And So It Goes, Rosalind's Eyes - so many great songs!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2022, 10:39:23 AM »
Vienna's a good one.  I'll throw a few more at you that I love - Goodnight Saigon, Honesty, Zanzibar, The Downeaster "Alexa", Leningrad, And So It Goes, Rosalind's Eyes - so many great songs!

No lie, EVERY ONE of those songs are on my list of favorites.  I gave in the extended version of Zanzibar (it's about a minute or so longer with the band jamming at the end) in a roulette once and killed it. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2022, 10:57:28 AM »

No lie, EVERY ONE of those songs are on my list of favorites.  I gave in the extended version of Zanzibar (it's about a minute or so longer with the band jamming at the end) in a roulette once and killed it.
Cool!  I'm a big Billy Joel fan, sounds like we've got similar tastes with him.  Here's a few more - All About Soul, Lullabye, She's Got a Way, Everybody has a Dream and of course New York State of Mind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2022, 11:07:16 AM »
Anyone ever see Movin' Out?  It was basically a "rock ballet" (I don't know if that term is really a thing, but I remember describing it that way to somebody at the time because that was the best description I could come up with, and interestingly enough, that is how wikipedia describes it as well) featuring songs by Billy Joel, and weaving a story together with a mock Billy Joel singing and playing piano for all the songs, along with a backing band, and actors/dancers acting out the lyrics.  I saw it years ago (I want to say maybe 2005 or 2006) and thought it was pretty good.  Interesting format for a show.  The music was performed pretty credibly, and the stage show brought the songs to life in interesting ways.

The song list is here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movin%27_Out_(musical)

VERY solid set for any Billy Joel fan, regardless of which era you might prefer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2022, 04:39:13 PM »

It's not my favorite album - that's either The Stranger or Nylon Curtain - but that album is so impressive.  It's a concept album in a sense, as every track is an homage to the one of the groups (or styles) that influenced him.  My favorite is of course the title track, but that's me.

I am actually not sure I have ever heard An Innocent Man from start to finish.  It has been forever since I listened to all of The Nylon Curtain.

I need to rectify both of those very soon.

Cool!  I'm a big Billy Joel fan, sounds like we've got similar tastes with him.  Here's a few more - All About Soul, Lullabye, She's Got a Way, Everybody has a Dream and of course New York State of Mind.

Let's not forget Prelude/Angry Young Man and Captain Jack.  :hat :hat