Author Topic: Official DTF Photography Thread  (Read 144197 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Official DTF Photography Thread
« on: December 27, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »
I noticed that there was no photography thread and I thought there should be one.  I just got a Nikon D5000 and have been taking some pictures here and there.  This is a place for people to post some pictures they have taken and for others to comment on it.  The point would also to be to give tips and tricks, critiques, and to talk about the technical stuff as well.  So here is a picture I took right after getting my camera.

This is a little figurine of Jospeh out of a nativity scene that is in my house.  I was shooting with an ISO of 500 I believe, 55mm zoom, and a 5.6 fstop.  It was a real low shutter speed too probably 1/8.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official DTF Photography Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
Great idea, I am often out on walks taking photos. I don't know about gear, I just use my compact digital camera (Olympus FE-150).

Here is a few I've taken recently.

More can be seen at my new online photoalbum.

https://hakan81.deviantart.com/gallery/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:41:56 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »
All great guys :tup

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
I don't know about gear, I just use my compact digital camera (Olympus FE-150).

Pretty much same here man, except mine is a Casio EX-Z120.

A bunch of my photos can be seen on my deviantart page, though I haven't updated in a little while: https://ariich.deviantart.com/gallery/

Here are a few that I quite like:

Canadian Yellow

Looking Down on Clouds

Atlas at Dawn

Sun and Sea II

Wind Rain Fog

Marrakech Sunset

Remembrance

Rust

Statue in the Sun

Pre-Wine

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »
I've been an amateur photographer for a few years now, and I love it. I use my beloved Canon EOS 450D and I think I might be pretty good, actually. I often combine my photography skills with my Photoshop skills. Some photographers consider this cheating, but I say if I can improve the quality of a picture, why should I not?

And more: https://logicalnightmare.deviantart.com/

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:21:45 PM »
And for Zydar (in separate post to prevent things from looking messy): I really love the second pic. The colours, the light, it's just wow! I would like to see a little more of the road, but otherwise, it's close to perfect.

And something I thought about in the other pictures: You should think about the photographer's golden rule, the one that might be so hard to remember (I don't always...) and try to prevent point-and-shoot pictures. (meaning pictures where you just point the camera at something and shoot without thinking.) Always see so you don't have any disturbing objects in the picture (like the lamppost between the trees in the last pic) and try different angles and views to get the most interesting picture. It's tough and it can be very frustrating when you just can't get it right, but it's important to be able to improve as a photographer. When I started thinking about this, I thought everything got so much harder, but my pictures also turned out better... Just some constructive criticism. Hope you find it helpful.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I will think about that in the future.  :smiley:

And I really like your pictures, what is the last one you posted there?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:05:13 PM »

Panasonic LX3, ISO 400, F2.0, 28mm WIDE.

Nice pictures, guys.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 03:05:24 PM »
Great photos everyone.

Aarich, You have some  AWESOME locations for your pictures.  I often find that just having a beautiful location creates great pictures for you, and finding those times to snap off those shots is key.  You got some really cool ones going on there.

Zydar, I really like that picture of the log with the shallow depth of field.  Very cool.  I love close ups of ordinary things with shallow depth of field.  It's like you are giving significance to something you would never think twice about.  I have some cool pictures like that that I will post soon.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I will think about that in the future.  :smiley:

And I really like your pictures, what is the last one you posted there?
The last one is a shot from Heron City in... is it Södertälje? Somewhere around, at least. There are fountains and buttons on the side of them that anyone can press. Depending on which ones are pressed there are different lights under the water. It's really cool.

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »
My personal gallerie, have a look !  :metal

https://www.flickr.com/photos/etiennedufresne/

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
Really nice stuff there spolt.  I really like the batch of pictures you have with the high saturation of color.  Looks really vivid.

Here are a few more that I took this afternoon just walking around my back yard for a few minutes.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:07:20 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:55:12 AM »
Great stuff there 7SB! Those first two in particular remind me of a lot of my own photos :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
Thank you!  I setup a Flickr account.  There are a couple more pictures up there.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/45948864@N02/

This is my newest picture.  It's of my mic cradle.  I was trying to play with HDR images but it did not work out.  So I just added one I didn't shoot for HDR.  This is not HDR btw.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 06:42:29 PM by 7StringedBeast »

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:38:42 AM »
Bump.  C'mon I wanna see some more DTF photos!!  There's gotta be some more photographers out there.

Updated my flickr account with a couple more.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
I know kari has a photo project going that he's going to be starting soon if it didn't start already.  

edit: he didn't start it and it doesn't involve posting them right away. 

Anyways here are a few pictures I've taken... I don't have a really nice camera so they aren't anything spectacular.  Someday soon I hope to get a better camera.

The last one is more for cuteness factor
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:56:34 AM by Splent »
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
Oh yeah I remember seeing  the thread for that.  Unfortunately I did not have a camera at the time boo.  I wonder if there is still room for myself to be in it.  To the Search mobile!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
Some awesome shots here. And awwww, Splent. Maybe I'll post some stuff in here in a few months or whenever I come back next :P
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 04:50:05 AM »
How do you get the sharp foreground/very blurry background without a manual focus on your camera?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:26 AM »
The sharp focus in the foreground and the blurry background is called having a shallow depth of field.  There are a few ways to achieve this effect.  Firstly, zoom in all the way on your optical zoom, never use digital zoom.  Then, if you can control F stop or your iris, open it up as much as you possibly can.  In order to get shallow DOF you need to be able to let more light into the camera.  Then, get really close to the subject you are shooting.  As close as possible to it while still being able to keep the subject in focus.  A lot of this will depend on the camera and your lens.  If the background isn't getting blurry the best way to achieve this is to make sure the subject is very far away from the background that you want to be blurry.  The more distance between the subject and the background means the DOF will look shallower in the picture.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »
The sharp focus in the foreground and the blurry background is called having a shallow depth of field.  There are a few ways to achieve this effect.  Firstly, zoom in all the way on your optical zoom, never use digital zoom.  Then, if you can control F stop or your iris, open it up as much as you possibly can.  In order to get shallow DOF you need to be able to let more light into the camera.  Then, get really close to the subject you are shooting.  As close as possible to it while still being able to keep the subject in focus.  A lot of this will depend on the camera and your lens.  If the background isn't getting blurry the best way to achieve this is to make sure the subject is very far away from the background that you want to be blurry.  The more distance between the subject and the background means the DOF will look shallower in the picture.

I don't think my camera has these options :( I'll check when I get home though. I bought it just over a year ago, but I might have spent too much on the MegaPixel rating (It's 12 I think) rather than having full camera functionality.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »
You should still be able to get this effect to an extent by following my instructions.  Try to put your camera into manual mode.  There should be some control over how much light you let in.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
You should still be able to get this effect to an extent by following my instructions.  Try to put your camera into manual mode.  There should be some control over how much light you let in.

I re-read and think I grasped it more on the second time. I thought (because I'm a pretty noob photographer) that the F size thing was mainly used for shutter speed when taking moving images? I use this quite a bit when taking pictures of water to get the flowing effect.

I'll play about tonight and post my results.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
My wife and I are amatuer photgraphers (my wife more than me). We have a Canon Rebel Xti and a few good lenses. We mostly take pictures of our son and other kids we know. I try and take more scenery type pics, but I don't do it enough to get much better at it unfortunately. Anyway... here are a couple pics of my son that we took. I'll try and remember to upload some newer stuff someday when I'm at home.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »

I re-read and think I grasped it more on the second time. I thought (because I'm a pretty noob photographer) that the F size thing was mainly used for shutter speed when taking moving images? I use this quite a bit when taking pictures of water to get the flowing effect.

If you have a basic camera with an in-built lens like I do, then it should still have something called "Macro focus" or similar. This does essentially the same thing, though it'll only really work on items very close up, as to get the same effect further away you need a longer lens.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »

F stop is a number that refers to how open your aperture is.  A low F stop means you have a wider open aperture (more light gets into the camera) and a higher F stop means less light.  Shutter speed is a different number, usually a fraction of a second.  1/60, 1/100 1/200 etc.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »
Hey guys,  I went out shooting this afternoon and I updated my Flickr with some new photos.  Here is a quick preview of a few.

If you want to see the rest go to https://www.flickr.com/photos/45948864@N02/

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 04:25:35 PM »

Colours, composition - wooow.

I would have wanted all of the uhm... flower thingie... to be sharp, the blurry parts are too few to look good to me. But that's just a minor flaw in my eyes, I really like the photo.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:34 PM »
Oh thank you very much for the compliment.  I love that picture as well.  I did some cool color correction and grading to get that look.  It's a look I really love when trying to get across a winter feeling.  I also love shallow depth of field so the out of focus flowery parts are cool to me haha.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
Yeah that photo is gorgeous, great job!

I really wish I had a better camera.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »
Oh thank you very much for the compliment.  I love that picture as well.  I did some cool color correction and grading to get that look.  It's a look I really love when trying to get across a winter feeling.  I also love shallow depth of field so the out of focus flowery parts are cool to me haha.
Getting "winter looks" in pictures are fun.

This is not my picture but a stock picture from a model called TwiggX, her real name is Disa. (link to stock)

So I borrowed this picture:

And turned it into:

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »
That's nice!  You should try to see if you can mask her shirt out more in order to keep it black.  There is a strong blue cast in it.  I think it could be cool if her shirt stayed black like the original.  Cool stuff though.  Are you using photoshop?  I've been using Lightroom for my stuff.

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 05:00:29 PM »
Yeah, now when you mention it. You're right. This is quite old though, a year maybe. I might try to fix that up sometime.

Yes, I use Photoshop. It's my one and only editing program.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
Yeah Photoshop is amazing.  I started shooting RAW on my camera so everyone I have talked to has told me to go and get Lightroom.  Well it is definitely worth it if you are shooting RAWs.  The workflow and organization are very nice to have.  Not to mention top notch color correcting.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
I use Photoshop on a daily basis for photo retouching, color correction, photo manipulation and digital effects; it's the master tool along with the rest of the Creative Suite.

In that stock pic/chop, I would mask out her shirt as said, and I would also play with the levels in her skin. Due to the desat and adjustments, the definition in her skin, particularly the contours of her cheek, are lost and look a little overexposed. Otherwise that's pretty good; hair is a tough thing to mask.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche