Author Topic: Official DTF Photography Thread  (Read 144140 times)

Offline missedthepoint

• Ahh, I see now. Wait, what?
Re: Official DTF Photography Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:19 AM »
Why thank you. :)

The one that looks like a sparkler is indeed a sparkler, I just played with the colour in Camera RAW and settled on that lovely green colour.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
Nothing too great recently, been kinda busy. These are the only things kind of recent.

https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2011, 08:28:02 AM »
Took this one about an hour ago. The light through the icy trees looked amazing!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
Amazing stuff everyone.  :tup
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »
Bahahahhahahaha  ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
;D
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
 :tup

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
That's amazing dude! Snow and sun are such a great combination.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
That's amazing dude! Snow and sun are such a great combination.
Thank you. I took that the other day in my front yard. It just looked amazing,

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #328 on: February 10, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
Damn that looks eerily similar to my campus.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
That wouldn't be UMW, would it? 

Anyway, anyone interested in telling me how I can do better?  I got a camera for my birthday a week ago and I've been trying to learn photography.  Those two were my first. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
What would you like to know?
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
This. I could tell you a million things, as I could probably tell myself if I looked at my photos objectively. What you need to do now is to get to know the camera - the functions, settings, how to get the focus where you want it, etc. You'll improve a lot with that, and you'll need to experiment until you're familiar with everything - you can read what every setting does on the Internet, and that helps, but you need to get the feel for it yourself.

A tip from me is not to use the automatic settings too much (assuming you have a camera where you can use manual settings). Learn how to set them yourself, it makes photography much funnier once you've learned it and it gives you greater freedom.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #332 on: February 10, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

I'm not sure what I'd like to know, unfortunately. 

I was wondering if anyone could spot anything on the two I posted that could be done much better.  Besides everything, probably. 

A tip from me is not to use the automatic settings too much (assuming you have a camera where you can use manual settings). Learn how to set them yourself, it makes photography much funnier once you've learned it and it gives you greater freedom.
This is helpful, I guess I should take the time to learn the ins and outs and what-have-yous of my camera.  I was pretty much just pointing and shooting with those two, which means I had much less control and the camera was doing all the work, I guess. 

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #333 on: February 10, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Well for the second pic, you should have something interesting to focus on in the foreground (the pave/snow) for a macro shot. That's what I try to do at least, and pair it with a nice background.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #334 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:25 PM »
1. Use manual mode.
2. Practice.
3. Look at the work of well known photographers for inspiration.
4. Bring your camera everywhere.
5. Practice.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 10, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Learn about light and lenses.  Learn what happens when you use a low F stop compared to a high F stop.  Figure out how to obtain shallow Depth of field, and deep depth of field.  Find out what the different focal lengths of lenses do.  Find out how the shutter speed affects the image you create and the light you let in.  All this is really important stuff, and the more you think of about this stuff, the more composed your shots will be and you will have the right knowledge to use as tools to get the shot.  All this info is readily available online!   :tup
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
I was takin some pictures yesterday and came up with some boring stuff such as this:

nothing too special. but this is I think another valuable lesson, don't think that what is taken in the camera is the final product. photographers have been editing and adjusting there images since the beginning, and I think we need to embrace the fact that a photo is about how you think it should look (ok as long as you aren't photoshopping a ufo into it or something.) Anyways, with color correction this is what I came out with..

I find that to be much more interesting, yet still believable to most viewers. A friend already told me this is simplistically one of the better photos I have taken. Don't think I agree, but it definitely feels much better than what my camera took.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
very nice Brakkum!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Logical Nightmare

• DTF.org Member
  • YAAAY! awww...
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:09 AM »
To be honest, I liked the first one more. The purple and orange colours are out of place. The contrast between blue and beige in the first one looks way better. I also think that it's okay to adjust images, but if the adjustments are clearly visible it's photomanipulating, which is not the same thing as photography.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2011, 01:48:43 AM »

the endemic New Zealand alpine parrot, Kea. They have a natural green wing colour with red underneath, but using this grey-blue filter really emphasizes it's presence and expression. This was done with a landscape lens (15-55) which photographers would know means I'm bloody close to this bird! (a few feet!) such is how friendly this wild bird is.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2011, 02:01:59 AM »
^Fuck me :tup

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »

People seem to like the colour version more  :lol so here is one. Exact same spot. Wanted to get a painting sort of look to this one. I like how the flat grey sky can be seen as a white painters page. Any other sky would have ruined the look.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: February 14, 2011, 07:21:24 AM »

My place I go to clear my head. Its a half mile from my front door.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
4. Bring your camera everywhere.

So very important, this.  I have an old Pentax K-1000 35mm that I SHOULD be carrying with me everywhere, in order to get that once in a lifetime shot.  The sunset picture I posted a page or two ago, I got REAL lucky on.  Right place/right time.  The pro/con with my old 35mm is that (pro) I can take it out, point, and shoot.  I don't have to wait for the power to come on, for the lens to extend, etc.  (Con) it's film-based, so I can have no clue what my pictures are coming out like.  However, based on the liight meter in the view finder, I can make adjustments to exposure time and aperture opening in order to get fairly close to a decent lit shot.  Even then though, that isn't foolproof.  It has been entirely too long since I got into some serious photographing stuff.

My place I go to clear my head. Its a half mile from my front door.

I'm so jealous of you.  Where is that?

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »

This is another shot I like. I was sort of in a hurry when I took it, so it originally was crooked by a few degrees, I think I fixed it in Lightroom. Didn't do too much tinkering, I used the 'Yesteryear 1' filter, which gives it a nice ancient sort of look. The top left is over-exposed, I suppose I will fix that will a brush tool at some point. Any critique is appreciated! On my bird shots as well. I'd rather bad criticism then none at all  :lol I'm only an amateur after-all.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2011, 02:05:33 AM »
I'd rather bad criticism then none at all  :lol

That's how pros are made. :tup

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
Portucci,

I like your nature shot there.  The things I would tell you though is to establish more of a foreground for added depth to your shot.  It overall looks pretty flat.  Take a look at Tick's dock shot for an example of what I'm talking about.  It's a great example of foreground, middle-ground, and background.

It also looks heavily processed and over sharpened, although it could be my bad monitor here at work or bad compression of the image.

The colors look really good in that picture, and I like the framing as far as balance of the image is concerned.   

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Portucci,

I like your nature shot there.  The things I would tell you though is to establish more of a foreground for added depth to your shot.  It overall looks pretty flat.  Take a look at Tick's dock shot for an example of what I'm talking about.  It's a great example of foreground, middle-ground, and background.

It also looks heavily processed and over sharpened, although it could be my bad monitor here at work or bad compression of the image.

The colors look really good in that picture, and I like the framing as far as balance of the image is concerned.   
Thanks mate. I agree it's not a truly nice landscape shot due to the lack of foreground interest. I did take it quickly as I was at the back of a trekking party and didn't have time to stop for long, but when I turned around and saw the nice white petals across the path, I thought I'd grab a shot. Surprisingly it's not processed that much, apart from that 'aged photo' sort of filter, that's pretty much what it looked like. Sometimes I admit I definitely like to play with the contrast and sharpness a bit too much, which I guess I could rein in. Anyway, thanks for the comment!  :)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
Yeah it looks cool.  Very interesting to look at.  It reminds me of some kind of fantasy book or something.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
I really dig it, Port. The only I can think that might have worked (although not necessarily) would be to have taken it from a lower angle. The petals are clearly the focus and getting closer to them might have given it that foreground interest.

Of course, it might not have worked at all, just a thought though. That's what's so fun about photography, just got to try things and see what works.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.