Author Topic: I'm Cutting The Cord  (Read 19686 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: I'm Cutting The Cord
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2023, 08:42:40 PM »
I'm looking at Fubo now. For us, it'd be $84.99 a month after trial, and additional $7.99 for Fubo Extra so I can get the MLB and NHL networks.

I can get NBC Sports Boston for Celtics and NESN for Bruins so this could work. And it does have ABC and the ESPN channels.

We also get our internet through Xfinity, so I'm not sure what to do about that, but our monthly Xfinity bill is ridiculous.

@Gary, are you still happy with Fubo?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2023, 11:38:11 PM »
I'm looking at Fubo now. For us, it'd be $84.99 a month after trial, and additional $7.99 for Fubo Extra so I can get the MLB and NHL networks.

I can get NBC Sports Boston for Celtics and NESN for Bruins so this could work. And it does have ABC and the ESPN channels.

We also get our internet through Xfinity, so I'm not sure what to do about that, but our monthly Xfinity bill is ridiculous.

@Gary, are you still happy with Fubo?

Dropped fubo a while back when Foxsports (Ballys) left them. Now, they did return and I re-upped for all of about 20 minutes. I logged on and fired it up but the image quality on all their channels SUCKED. Like, horrible…..once you’re used to crystal clear high def there is no going back. Don’t know what their deal was. I immediately opted out and they refunded me same day.

So, I use Direct TV stream still….over fiber. I have the highest speed you can buy around here and it’s great. Just expensive. Internet is $85 a month and the streaming is $120.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2023, 06:27:26 AM »
I'm paying $240 for cable/internet, then add Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV to that, and I'm creeping up to $300/mo.  Fortunately, I get most Hulu content with Disney+, so there's no extra charge for that.  Been trying to figure out how to get my cable package down by about $20-$25 without any major sacrifices of content.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2023, 06:45:21 AM »
I use an IPTV service and pay $30 USD a year and watch TV from all over the globe, around 2000+ channels.
I pay $1.5 USD a month for Disney+ and the same for Star+ (ESPN) then I pay $15 USD a month for Apple+ and my brother shares me his Netflix and HBO max account details.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2023, 01:48:22 PM »
I use an IPTV service and pay $30 USD a year and watch TV from all over the globe, around 2000+ channels.
I pay $1.5 USD a month for Disney+ and the same for Star+ (ESPN) then I pay $15 USD a month for Apple+ and my brother shares me his Netflix and HBO max account details.

Sounds like the same way I "buy" music from Russian websites.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2023, 01:54:51 PM »
Egad at some of these costs! I am so glad we dropped cable years ago. We do great with just Disney+ and Netflix, which I think are each around $20. Internet is around $70.

and my brother shares me his Netflix .... account details.

I thought they were cracking down on this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2023, 06:24:10 PM »
I'm paying $240 for cable/internet, then add Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV to that, and I'm creeping up to $300/mo.  Fortunately, I get most Hulu content with Disney+, so there's no extra charge for that.  Been trying to figure out how to get my cable package down by about $20-$25 without any major sacrifices of content.

Dang....I just sat and calculated what I'm spending each month and it's freaking ridiculous:

$85 for Internet 1000(Fiber 1 GIG), $130 for DirectTV Stream, $20 for Netflix, $10 for Paramount +, ($90 annual so) $7.50 for Disney +......grand total of $252.50 a month  :omg: :censored >:(

I also have Apple TV but I pay $20 a month for that whole Family plan for Apple....all the music and storage and what not....Apple TV is 'included' in that bundle.

It just doesn't matter. Any way you slice it if you want the content you're either paying $10 a month to 10 different apps or it's all in one spot. I really need to take a hard look at if we really 'need' Netflix....and honestly....this may sound like I'm an idiot....but I don't know how to cancel Paramount +  :lol  The app says go to the website...I get to the website and it says you have to do it from the app....there is no one screen I've found that just says 'cancel subscription' and I usually get ticked and give up...like I'm sure they want.

Offline HOF

« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2023, 10:22:27 PM »
Thankful that this thread reminded me I had a "free" trial of Apple TV+ so I could watch exactly one Friday night baseball game. Didn't realize it automatically renewed. Not even sure how it was charging me because I don't remember giving them any payment info, but it's been charging me through my Paypal which I guess we've used for itunes purchases before. I've been paying on it since July. I guess I should chalk that one up to the dumb tax. There's another $7.50 a month freed up!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 10:29:03 PM by HOF »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2023, 10:41:59 PM »

When we switched from cable to streaming TV in 2017, we had to sacrifice some content - it's just not possible to replicate a full cable package with streaming.  My wife was a big A&E watcher, but after we switched, she realized that she didn't miss having the channel it at all - it was just a "time filler" for her. 

YouTube TV has been adding channels over the last few years and I think it's definitely improved since we started using it.  It's definitely the most similar to having cable tv. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2023, 03:21:49 AM »

Dang....I just sat and calculated what I'm spending each month and it's freaking ridiculous:

$85 for Internet 1000(Fiber 1 GIG), $130 for DirectTV Stream, $20 for Netflix, $10 for Paramount +, ($90 annual so) $7.50 for Disney +......grand total of $252.50 a month  :omg: :censored >:(

I also have Apple TV but I pay $20 a month for that whole Family plan for Apple....all the music and storage and what not....Apple TV is 'included' in that bundle.

It just doesn't matter. Any way you slice it if you want the content you're either paying $10 a month to 10 different apps or it's all in one spot. I really need to take a hard look at if we really 'need' Netflix....and honestly....this may sound like I'm an idiot....but I don't know how to cancel Paramount +  :lol  The app says go to the website...I get to the website and it says you have to do it from the app....there is no one screen I've found that just says 'cancel subscription' and I usually get ticked and give up...like I'm sure they want.

On your iPhone, go to settings then click your profile picture at the top, go to subscription and then to paramount+ and there hit cancel subscription

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2023, 08:34:13 AM »

On your iPhone, go to settings then click your profile picture at the top, go to subscription and then to paramount+ and there hit cancel subscription

Thanks for the advice....issue is I don't have this downloaded on my phone so it doesn't show up in my subscriptions on it or on my iPad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »
My gf moved in 6 months ago and brought all her streaming services with her  :lol  So I cut the cable a couple years ago when I lost my Directv discount I had.  Now we have Roku/Amazon sticks on all the TVs and my gf pays for all the apps.  We use YoutubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, Disney, and I have Amazon. I don't actually know how much it all costs, but it's not cheap or any cheaper than traditional TV like back in the day.  Granted, there's just so much content.  And we just cancelled AppleTV since we watched a lot of the shows we wanted to.  At some point I think we'll cancel say Hulu and opt into Apple again or something.  I guess that's the positive of these services, you can just easily drop them and pick them back up.  If my gf wasn't living with me, I'd likely just have YoutubeTV so I can watch PSU football. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2023, 12:36:42 PM »
Granted, there's just so much content.

That's the problem - all of these content providers moved to their own apps.  I miss when HBO would have something like 75% of all new movies, but each studio will now premier their own content on their own app. 

We subscribe to certain apps for certain shows and when those seasons are done, we cancel.  Overall, we keep Youtube TV, HBO, Netflix and Disney year-round, and we get the ad supported version of Paramount+ for free through Walmart+ grocery subscriptions.  It's not financially feasible to subscribe to EVERYTHING and expect to save money compared to cable.