Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 172769 times)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: Avatar (Spoilers likely)
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
Oh btw, I didn't get the impression that the native race and the Avatars were actually like 10 feet tall from the commercials

Yeah, when I first saw him it was all O_O HOLY SHIT.

The most amazing thing is that this is by far the most extensive and realistic creation of a CGI world from scratch.  It didn't feel like some made up and ridiculous planet, but a place that could actually be real.

That's the thing! It's such a beautiful planet that Cameron has constructed that he's used the amazing CGI to it's advantage to make a world where you keep having to remind yourself through the film that it's not real.

And as long as people go into the film with an open mind, then i'm fine.

If they come out saying it was bad anyway, well then you are jus silly  ;D

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2009, 10:15:04 PM »
I can't wait to see this Sunday.

A bit off-topic Reap, but what movie would be before The Dark Knight that is comparable cinematic experience?

Probably The Lord of the Rings

fixed

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2009, 05:35:50 PM »
I have now seen this movie 3 times. It is no doubt it is in my top 10 movies of all time.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2009, 06:04:54 PM »
Just saw it a second time.  It blew me away again.  I truly love Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline faemir

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »
I knew I should have kept the 3D glasses... I'll have to pay another £2.10 to get them  :yeahright

But atleast I get the cinema ticket free.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »
I just purchased tickets to another IMAX showing tomorrow night.  :metal :metal will be my 4th time seeing it.

Offline faemir

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »
I just purchased tickets to another IMAX showing tomorrow night.  :metal :metal will be my 4th time seeing it.

>:(

I have to wait till JANUARY to see it IMAX. But at least it's in 3D.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 08:43:01 PM »
I knew I should have kept the 3D glasses... I'll have to pay another £2.10 to get them  :yeahright

I thought about that too, but when I asked, they said the glasses are free, the extra charge is for the technology.   ::) So no use in keeping them. 

Offline faemir

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »

I thought about that too, but when I asked, they said the glasses are free, the extra charge is for the technology.   ::) So no use in keeping them. 

:yeahright >:(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
I just came back from seeing this movie and this is really the best use of CGI ever! Without a doubt!

Now, the story, as has been pointed out, is not groundbreaking or original at all. But it's told in a very good way. I definitely got a cowboys vs. indians, Pocahontas vibe from the story but I don't think it subtracts that much from the film.

The attention to detail Cameron did to Pandora is second to none! This is not CGI for the sake of CGI, James Cameron literally created a whole world! The flora, the fauna, the atmosphere, the day and night cycles, goddamn was I blown away by the attention to detail and scope of the enviroment!!

SPOILER ALERT!!

The part I loved the most about the movie was that the didn't take the cheap way out when Jake was fighting Quaritch! When Jake rams the knife into the cockpit and he takes off the... well the cockpit glass because I can't remember what's that called, I was so expecting him to die from the plot device about the atmosphere being deadly, thank you for not doing that James Cameron.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18:41 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

At one point in the battle, the part where it seems like all hope is lost, there is a cut to an alien horse that's on fire, riding through the battlefield.  I saw a similar interpretation in the Animatrix, where a machine is riding a mechanical horse through the battlefield of the Machine/Human wars, and it's on fire and slowly breaks down.  Does anybody know if this is some sort of cultural motif of which I'm not aware?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
I've seen a similar scene to that on another movie I can't remember the name right now...

By the way, Avatar tied Inglourious Basterds as the best movie I saw this year.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »
SPOILER ALERT!!

The part I loved the most about the movie was that the didn't take the cheap way out when Jake was fighting Quaritch! When Jake rams the knife into the cockpit and he takes off the... well the cockpit glass because I can't remember what's that called, I was so expecting him to die from the plot device about the atmosphere being deadly, thank you for not doing that James Cameron.
Actually I thought that was really cheap. The atmosphere not being breathable never felt the least bit dangerous, and most of the time I forgot it was even supposed to be like that.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
SPOILER ALERT!!

Actually I thought that was really cheap. The atmosphere not being breathable never felt the least bit dangerous, and most of the time I forgot it was even supposed to be like that.
Me too, but when that happened I instantly thought: "Oh don't tell me you're gonna go that route to end your big final fight?!?!"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2009, 10:47:58 PM »
What I didn't like was how the chick Navi was trapped under the dead animal until right when she needed to free herself.

The atmosphere thing was cool because it led to two of the Colonel's finest moments. First, when he ran out into the hangar to shoot at the escaping choppers. And then, when he held his breath again during the final fight.

As horrible as that guy was, he wasn't a sniveling opportunist who ran away at the first sign of trouble. He was serious about what he wanted to do.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »
His performance was great, so was Sam Worthington's.

He's fast becoming a favorite of mine, he saved Terminator Salvation from just being a Michael Bay film and has a another good one here.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 10:57:18 PM »
I wasn't too thrilled with Terminator Salvation personally, mostly because I saw the film as merely being a fan service.

I do agree however that Stephen Lang (the Colonel) really shone in this film.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
I thought he was pretty shit. Well, maybe he was okay with what he was given, but the character was complete cliche garbage.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »
I think that was the point.  Given the archetype he was meant to fill, how necessary was it he break the trend?  And if anything, I feel as if he brought new life to a very tired archetype.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
By the way, Stephen Lang is 57 years old. :eek

Offline faemir

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2009, 06:02:23 AM »
By the way, Stephen Lang is 57 years old. :eek

:omg:

What I didn't like was how the chick Navi was trapped under the dead animal until right when she needed to free herself.

See I was fine with it because it didn't come off as cheesy. I was thinking "oh no its gonna be some cheesy save by her at the last minute" but instead she cooly gets up and shoots him twice with her bow.

If it had been something like either he goes for her instead and Jake sacrificed himself for her, or she sacrificed herself for him, or she saved him in a more silly way than just shooting him, but it felt more believable and real, like a miraculous random event rather than a cliche, lame moment. At that point I could feel my heart pounding and I was all "shit shit shit get free damn it!"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy JAMES CAMERON

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
Saw this in 3D yesterday and I was overwhelmed. Literally. Greatst spectacle i've ever seen.

I'm going again ASAP.

11/10  :tup

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
Haters of this movie, just go watch it, it is freaking amazing. And I have a crush on Neytiri. . .

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
Also, CGI sex. :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »
Yeah, at first I was just clearing my throat, then I proceeded to imitate baby-making music when it continued.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »
Wow chicka wow ow

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2009, 11:54:26 AM »
For those interested, the score is really fuckin' good.  I'm not a die-hard James Horner fan, but the man does solid work for James Cameron (Aliens, Titanic).  Here's a track I've thrown on more than a couple of times, showcasing the main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Wqi0FSLec

And for those of you who want some epic goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEY2kBbnAY&feature=related

Offline TL

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »
Though obviously it's a matter of opinion, I just don't understand why people are raving about this film. It's an unoriginal story, poorly told, with effects that don't come close to living up to the hype.
The world James Cameron created didn't come off as believable at all. On top of that, it was basically Ferngully, right down to the comically evil invaders and the can-do-no-wrong natives. Also, Unobtainium? Seriously?

It was a mediocre film at best. It irritates me to no end people praising it as an incredible film when it's basically a two and a half hour fucking tech demo, with a rehashed plot, not well told, with unimpressive acting.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
I'm gonna go see this movie again before this week ends!

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
Though obviously it's a matter of opinion, I just don't understand why people are raving about this film. It's an unoriginal story, poorly told, with effects that don't come close to living up to the hype.
The world James Cameron created didn't come off as believable at all. On top of that, it was basically Ferngully, right down to the comically evil invaders and the can-do-no-wrong natives. Also, Unobtainium? Seriously?

It was a mediocre film at best. It irritates me to no end people praising it as an incredible film when it's basically a two and a half hour fucking tech demo, with a rehashed plot, not well told, with unimpressive acting.

While I'd be willing to accept anyone's criticism with the story, the accomplishments with the CG are beyond anything we've seen so far.

Offline TL

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
All I'm saying is that I saw the CG, and it wasn't nearly as impressive as they're making it out to be. The CG wasn't bad, but I definitely didn't see it as revolutionary, or the future of visual effects.
Plus, again, a 160 minute tech demo does not make for a good movie.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
I don't understand your gripes about the acting; I think they did just fine.  Then again, I am a Michelle Rodriguez fanboy.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »
I have absolutely no desire to see this movie. It looks like a three hour CGI wankfest.
Then why did you see it? You decided you didn't want to like the movie before you saw it, that's why it didn't work on you.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2009, 01:22:51 PM »
I think you can make a number of legitimate criticisms of the CGI, and I think to some degree you can say it was overhyped.

But what you have to realize is that Cameron created CGI a CGI world that, while not necessarily photo realistic, still blended in consistently with the live action footage. Not to say that incredible CGI hasn't been done before, but Cameron built a planet from the ground up with CGI, and it looks like a real place. That's just ridiculous, and I'd argue the greatest accomplishment from a technical standpoint of any CGI in film.

Plus, like a couple people have said, the CGI is used to tell the story. Lucas doesn't understand this, Cameron does. I don't know if you need this level of production value to tell this story (maybe my biggest complaint with the movie), but nothing on the screen is superfluous.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again