Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 173804 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1610 on: April 22, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
Besides, we all know Fern Gully is the best :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: April 22, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
Dont Hold Your Breath For Those Avatar Sequels.

I can wait. At least it means he's not rushing them. He's treating them as one massive movie split into 4.

3.5 years though...

Big Gap between Avatar 3 and 4... Wonder why that is ?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1612 on: April 22, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »
Interesting. I'm excitedfor all of it, but yeah, if it means getting it right, I'm okay with waiting longer than expected.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: April 22, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
If Avatar 2 is absolutely stunning visually and really exciting with a great story then i don't mind how long it takes.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1614 on: April 22, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
Got my plane tickets booked and 7 nights reserved at a hotel.... Heading to The Land of Pandora the second week of September!  :metal

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1615 on: April 22, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »
So as it stands, are all 4 of the movies going to be sequels to the 2009 one? or they being mixed in with prequels? If I were a studio head I'd get nervous with that amount of waiting and no way of knowing if 4 movies, let alone 1, will payoff. I'm thinking the gap after 2 movies are released is to assess if there is going to be another 2 more to follow. I personally think they should all do fine and continue to make however many they want, as many franchises (Pirates, Fast and the furious, Transformers, etc..) have shown people will watch anything.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1616 on: April 22, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »
It's also irritating that Cameron started working on the scripts for the sequels when he penned a deal with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to put Pandora in Disney's Animal Kingdom, in which that land (which looks AMAZING by the way) takes place during the sequels, and the new area will open in late May

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1617 on: April 23, 2017, 04:08:28 AM »
So as it stands, are all 4 of the movies going to be sequels to the 2009 one? or they being mixed in with prequels? If I were a studio head I'd get nervous with that amount of waiting and no way of knowing if 4 movies, let alone 1, will payoff. I'm thinking the gap after 2 movies are released is to assess if there is going to be another 2 more to follow. I personally think they should all do fine and continue to make however many they want, as many franchises (Pirates, Fast and the furious, Transformers, etc..) have shown people will watch anything.

They'll all be sequels. From what James has said, the following 4 movies will be the franchise's official story arc. The first film acted as a proof a concept for the technology and gave a good introduction to what Pandora is, who inhabits it, and an understanding of the conflict with humans. Now with that out of the way, the main story can hit the ground running and waste no time on introductions or setups.

I'm assuming we'll get a couple flashbacks. I'd personally love to see the first encounter with humans as well as the floating mountains mining accident.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:01:18 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1618 on: April 23, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »
It's also irritating that Cameron started working on the scripts for the sequels when he penned a deal with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to put Pandora in Disney's Animal Kingdom, in which that land (which looks AMAZING by the way) takes place during the sequels, and the new area will open in late May

I fail to understand your irritation. Are you saying there'll be spoilers in the park, or that the park will lack content because it opened so early?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1619 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
Dont Hold Your Breath For Those Avatar Sequels.

Not holding my breath.

I don't believe any of these release dates, and I won't believe any new release dates (when they come) until I see a trailer that has a release date in it.

And I still won't fully believe it until tickets go on sail.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »

And I still won't fully believe it until tickets go on sail.

You buy your tickets from a boat ?! :o

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1621 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
lol that sucked
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1622 on: October 01, 2017, 07:34:15 PM »
Two weeks ago I ventured to Florida and visited Pandora.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1623 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
Nice, I'll have to check it out when the crowds die down a bit.
Also this skit on SNL Avatar related I thought was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1624 on: October 02, 2017, 06:00:23 AM »
Nice, I'll have to check it out when the crowds die down a bit.
Also this skit on SNL Avatar related I thought was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

I'll check that vid out when I get home tonight. The crowds weren't too bad honestly. But that could have been because 1) People moved their trips because of hurricanes, and 2) school was a week back into session. Not many people going on vacation that week of the year. That's the main reason why we went down their at that time.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1625 on: October 04, 2017, 05:55:38 AM »
Kate Winslet joins Avatar for all sequels. I'm curious if she's going to be a human or a Na'vi

https://deadline.com/2017/10/kate-winslet-avatar-2-titanic-reunion-titanic-helmer-james-cameron-1202181471/

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1626 on: October 04, 2017, 06:39:56 AM »
How are people still joining? I thought he's been shooting these sequels already?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1627 on: October 04, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »
How are people still joining? I thought he's been shooting these sequels already?

They technically just started shooting last week. The last few months were preparations (building the new volume, stress testing all the new hardware and software, getting Weta Digital in order, etc..) and tests, pre production stuff. I think these new additions are just being announced now that the pedal is 100% officially down. Seven child actors were announced a few days ago as well. 3 are Jake and Neytiri's Na'vi offspring, 3 are from the new Reef Clan we'll be introduced to, and 1 is going to play a human that was conceived and born on Pandora in Hell's Gate.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1628 on: October 04, 2017, 07:47:45 AM »
I imagine there's a ton of planning that goes on for an endeavor of this size. They're probably planning for multiple scenarios should something go south, how to salvage, etc.. I'm most curious of the new tech that will be utilized and showcased.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1629 on: October 04, 2017, 07:55:48 AM »
I imagine there's a ton of planning that goes on for an endeavor of this size. They're probably planning for multiple scenarios should something go south, how to salvage, etc.. I'm most curious of the new tech that will be utilized and showcased.

I think most of the 'new tech' is just enhanced old tech. I know in the original film, it was hard to motion capture and face map more than 30 or so people at a time without the computers crashing. It made filming really hard for certain scenes. I remember reading an interview last year where Cameron was saying he now expects to be able to capture up to 100 people in real time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: October 04, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »

They technically just started shooting last week. The last few months were preparations (building the new volume, stress testing all the new hardware and software, getting Weta Digital in order, etc..) and tests, pre production stuff. I think these new additions are just being announced now that the pedal is 100% officially down. Seven child actors were announced a few days ago as well. 3 are Jake and Neytiri's Na'vi offspring, 3 are from the new Reef Clan we'll be introduced to, and 1 is going to play a human that was conceived and born on Pandora in Hell's Gate.

Gotcha. totally makes sense. I can't wait to see the movies. I let my boys watch AVATAR recently and they LOVED the visuals and that world. I told them they missed out on the 3D experience which was still the single best 3D experience I've ever had at a movie.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1631 on: October 04, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »

Gotcha. totally makes sense. I can't wait to see the movies. I let my boys watch AVATAR recently and they LOVED the visuals and that world. I told them they missed out on the 3D experience which was still the single best 3D experience I've ever had at a movie.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that there will be a theatrical re-release leading up to the release of the second film.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »

I'll bet my bottom dollar that there will be a theatrical re-release leading up to the release of the second film.

I'd go...as long as it was 3D.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1633 on: October 04, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »
I really do need to see it again on the big screen hopefully IMAX 3D. When it came out I did see it but it was IMAX 2D and wasn't that great of an experience due to how the screen at the theater was setup. I'm quite sure they'll re-release it in theaters in 3D before the sequel.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1634 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »
Chino, I want to know what you thought about your visit.  It looks really cool from the pics.  But what did you think about it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1635 on: October 05, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »
Chino, I want to know what you thought about your visit.  It looks really cool from the pics.  But what did you think about it?

Story time.

I freaking loved it. Had you never seen the movie, I think the place would have been really enjoyable, but as a full blown Avatard, I think they knocked it out of the park. There were two rides in Pandora. One was an indoor river boat ride through a Pandora stream during the night. You start in a relatively quiet forest with some background animal sounds, and the entire ride takes place in bioluminescent surroundings that look just like they did in the movie. There's some crazy projection systems in there that put animals and Na'vi groups all over the place that really fooled me at first. I thought they were animatronics until we got really close to the viperwolves. As you progress through the forest, you hear some background music and na'vi singing/chanting getting progressively louder. It's actually a really cool song even though I admittedly didn't understand a single word of the lyrics. As the ride ends, you encounter a life-sized version of Mo'at doing some spirit dance in sync with the songs the tribe is singing and she's screaming away. Hands down the most advanced animatronic I have ever seen. Everything about her seemed real.

The second ride was "The flight of passage". It's about 4 minutes long and you're hauling ass on the back of an ikran around Pandora. This was the best ride I have ever been on in my life, and I'm not just saying that as die-hard fan of the movie. Unless you're satan, I don't think it's possible for anyone to get on that ride and not feel exactly the same. You sit on this "link chairs" that pair you to an Avatar and you go for a flight. 3D effects of the screen you're looking at combined with the effects generated by the room make for a really intense experience. You feel the breeze, orientation changes, temperature variation, water, and smells as you fly around. I kept a sharp eye out and counted at least four creatures that we hadn't seen in the first movie. We went on it a total of four times. The third time we went on it, the ride started and Victoria realized her glasses were missing the right eyepiece. She told a guy after the ride and he brought us to the front of the 115 minute line. I wish I could have ridden this ride 50 times.

The rest of the world was great. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but it looked pretty cool. The attention to detail throughout the park was incredible. I couldn't get enough of it. We spent about 12 hours in Animal Kingdom and 8 of those were in Pandora. I will admit though, I was a little underwhelmed by the nighttime version of the park. It was cool, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting way too much. The riverboat ride absolutely nailed nighttime Pandora, and part of me was really hoping the entire park would look that way once it got dark. It looked great, but it did fall a little short of the movie.

I had a great time at the rest of Animal Kingdom as well. So many people told me it was the shittiest of the Disney parks, and while I've only been to Epcot prior (10 years ago) and didn't have much to compare it to, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:39:29 AM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1636 on: October 05, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
Awesome.  I'd like to eventually see it as well.  When I went to Animal Kingdom April of last year, it was under construction, so there was a good chunk of Animal Kingdom that you couldn't access.  But I still thought the park was really cool.  In particular, I really liked the safari and Expedition Everest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1637 on: October 05, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
Expedition Everest was awesome. We went on that three times. Lines were relatively short because everyone was in Pandora.

Here's the underlying working of the Mo'at animatron I was talking about.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1638 on: October 05, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
And if you go through this thread backwards, you can see the progress of the park from the very beginning. I was following this all along.

https://www.themeparx.com/avatar-land-disneys-animal-kingdom/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1639 on: October 05, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »
There were lines when we went.  Not really bad, but long enough that we only repeated Everest once.  But the park hours were short as well.  I think they closed at 5:00 or 6:00, which was fine with Pandora not yet open anyway.  We got a park hopper pass and hit Animal Kingdom from opening until about the time it closed, drive to the McDonald's around the corner for a cheap dinner, and then went to Magic Kingdom until that closed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: October 05, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
Brian....do you mind if I get nosey and ask what type of cost I'd be looking at for the Avatar Park? (excluding travel to park)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1641 on: October 05, 2017, 10:11:44 AM »
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

I just ran it for a 3-day visit, and it comes out as follows:

For 1 park per day tickets:  $289 for adults; $271 for kids
For park hopper:  $349 for adults; $331 for kids

For Disney World, I would probably just go with the 1 park per day option now that Animal Kingdom has extended hours and Pandora is finished.  In the past, I would have gone for the Park Hopper for the reasons I outlined in my previous post.  But absent the situation above where a park you want to see has really limited hours, I don't find the Park Hopper to be worth the extra money because the parks are so far apart that it discourages hopping just as a practical matter.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:17:37 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1642 on: October 05, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
Brian....do you mind if I get nosey and ask what type of cost I'd be looking at for the Avatar Park? (excluding travel to park)

I think we paid $110 each and $20 to park. But that's for all of Animal Kingdom, not just Pandora. I know they offer family discounts if you have a bunch of kids, but I'm not sure what those packages go for. I was also told the parks get cheaper if you stay in a Disney hotel as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: October 05, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
I think we paid $110 each and $20 to park. But that's for all of Animal Kingdom, not just Pandora. I know they offer family discounts if you have a bunch of kids, but I'm not sure what those packages go for. I was also told the parks get cheaper if you stay in a Disney hotel as well.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets/

I just ran it for a 3-day visit, and it comes out as follows:

For 1 park per day tickets:  $289 for adults; $271 for kids
For park hopper:  $349 for adults; $331 for kids

For Disney World, I would probably just go with the 1 park per day option now that Animal Kingdom has extended hours and Pandora is finished.  In the past, I would have gone for the Park Hopper for the reasons I outlined in my previous post.  But absent the situation above where a park you want to see has really limited hours, I don't find the Park Hopper to be worth the extra money because the parks are so far apart that it discourages hopping just as a practical matter.

Thanks fellas  :tup    all in all that really isn't that expensive...it's not chump change but it's not near what I had just guesstimated with no research.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1644 on: October 05, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
I know they offer family discounts if you have a bunch of kids, but I'm not sure what those packages go for. I was also told the parks get cheaper if you stay in a Disney hotel as well.

The Disney hotels are definitely more expensive than anything else you could get.  But the convenience and being linked to all the parks is REALLY nice.  If you want to look into that route, I highly recommend checking it out through Costco travel.  Their Disney packages are some of the best deals out there.