Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 173787 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:18:44 AM »
Just got back from the midnight showing in 3D.  

:laugh: :corn  :smiley: :D ;D :o :hefdaddy

:heart :tup

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:49:43 PM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:21:19 AM »
Fuckkkkkkkk. I really want to see this film.

Offline Anaesthesia

• pastry
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:25:23 AM »
Watching it on Monday. C:
120 px height.
In visible light // last fm

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:00:51 AM »
It was an amazing movie, visuals were absolutely stunning. I was surprised by how much I cared about the na'vi by the end of the movie.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:17:03 AM »
Was going to see it 5 minutes ago but slept in because my last day of college was cancelled :metal

Going to see it in a few hours though \o/

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 06:47:52 AM »
Spoiler tags in the thread title will be much appreciated.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:33 AM »
I have tickets to go to IMAX 3D tonight! I'm fucking pumped.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »
Spoiler tags in the thread title will be much appreciated.

Generally, I agree.  But it's a thread about a movie that just came out.  Some things don't need an explanation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »
I downloaded the game to my PSP last weekend, but I don't suspect I'll see the movie anytime soon.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
Seeing it Sunday night, one of my friends is being really fanboyish about our impending viewing, though. He sent me a text saying "All of my friends on facebook are saying that this movie is awesome, I can't wait to see it Sunday!!!"

:lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Avatar (Spoilers likely)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
This was seriously the best film I've seen in a LONG time.  The only one that comes close is The Dark Knight.  I went in not really knowing much about the film except it being revolutionary in its 3D film making. 

The CG was incredible.  About 60% was CG (from Wikipedia), and it was done very well.  While you could figure out which parts were CG simply because it's not physically possible, it was extremely realistic.  Natural facial expressions, beautiful scenery, etc.  The first chase scene through the forest had me holding my breath in suspense. 

The world of Pandora was alien yet inviting.  The story was very compelling and made me feel for the Na'vi as if they were human. 

Supposedly, Cameron already has a basic story arc for a three movies (including this one).  Given the ending, I can see it being just fine as a single movie, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind going back to Pandora. 

Offline TL

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
I have absolutely no desire to see this movie. It looks like a three hour CGI wankfest.
I've actually heard reviewers basically say "When you get past the poor writing and plot, it's great!".

Call me old fashioned, but I actually like a good narrative and well written dialog in my films.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
I have absolutely no desire to see this movie. It looks like a three hour CGI wankfest.
I've actually heard reviewers basically say "When you get past the poor writing and plot, it's great!".

Call me old fashioned, but I actually like a good narrative and well written dialog in my films.

I can guarantee you that the CGI is used to enhance the storytelling, not replace it.  The 3D didn't break the 4th wall and the story was compelling.  This is not a CGI wankfest like 2012.  Even Roger Ebert, who is extremely skeptical of 3D technology said it was the best implementation ever, because it wasn't used as a means to its own ends.  He gave the film 4 stars too. 

See this movie. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:19 PM »
My local movie theater has options to see the movie in regular definition or the 3D edition and I'm not sure which to go see.  Anyone have a second opinion?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
Definitely 3D.  Not only because it was filmed specifically for it, but because it is in a full 16x9 format, as opposed to a cropped version for 2D.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »
I mean it's not at an IMAX; it's just a regular theater, so I dunno what they're gonna do.  Probably just give us cheesy 3D glasses.

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »

+1

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »
I didn't see it in IMAX either.  The 3D technology used in standard theaters is RealD which is a substantial improvement to the red and blue glasses.  I take it you've never seen a 3D movie using the new technology?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »
I didn't see it in IMAX either.  The 3D technology used in standard theaters is RealD which is a substantial improvement to the red and blue glasses.  I take it you've never seen a 3D movie using the new technology?

How'd you guess? :lol

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
Definitely do 3D then.  It is miles and miles above the red and blue glasses.  You can look around and the 3D effect stays the same.  It is very crisp, and doesn't give you headaches. 

Seriously, you will be coming back after seeing it saying "OMG 3D IS AWESOME!"

Offline faemir

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »

Screw that, IT WAS EPIC. The visuals weren't just CGI wankfest, the animals, the world, and culture of the Naa'vi was outstandingly thorough and original. The plot was predictable, but in the good way that is delivered so well that it feels brilliantly well done. The CGI is merely a means to do the film, which is why it took Cameron a decade to get the technology to make the film he had always wanted to do, unlike say 2012 which was a 2 year development to cash in on conspiracy theories and cgi.

Bottom line: great writing, well constructed plot, outstanding visuals, insane cgi.

tl;dr: don't talk crap, it was amazing.

(oh and FYI, it has 94% cream of the crop on rotten tomatoes, and every film has some detractors, so whoever said what you quoted is just one of those silly idiots).

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »

This is a ridiculous post. How you formed such a strong opinion without seeing the movie is beyond me.

Absolutely with Fiery winds and Faemir on this one, 10/10 movie.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline faemir

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »
I think my biggest complaint is that his haircut (as a naa'vi) in the second part was not as good as his first style.

Which says a lot about the film :biggrin:

Offline progmonster

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »

Bottom line: great writing, well constructed plot

Every reviewer, even the insanely positive ones, wholeheartedly disagree with you there.

If I want a great visual feat of cgi awesomeness, I'd want it in a video game, not an empty shell of a cliched movie. I know that I may be wrong, and it may be the greatest movie of all timez, but it's not the kind of film that I would want. I plan on seeing it at some point over the holidays, and it would be nice to be proven wrong, since I love all of Cameron's previous films....

"It was enough to hold and be held." ~ Jake : The Dark Tower
4,000 soldiers died so we can keep our fellow Americans from being free.  :)

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »

Every reviewer, even the insanely positive ones, wholeheartedly disagree with you there.

Really? Every reviewer?

Please stop berating a movie you haven't seen with nonsense comments.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »

from what I saw browsing RT today, this isn't the case at all. The very positive reviews (of which there are many) may say something along the lines of Cameron has some unfortunate lines, and dialogue isn't his strong suit. That's a far cry from "the writing/plot are terrible"
Photobucket sucks.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »
I've read that yeah, there's some "wince-inducing dialogue" (from my local newspaper) and the plot is familiar and predictable (the same review made a reference to the South Park episode  :lol), but I plan on seeing it anyway due to the overwhelmingly positive response its gotten.  I really hope its amazing and I can look past story problems.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »
Something that everyone should keep in mind: there is no such thing as an "original" plot.  All the stories we produce today are based on some play the Greeks wrote thousands of years ago.  What's original or isn't is how that story is told.  It's inevitable that this movie has a movie has a plot that's been told a thousand times; I could tell you that just looking at the previews.  What matters is whether or not it tells it in a new and exciting way, and I hope I won't be disappointed in that.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
Ugh, Rotten Tomatoes is a terrible site.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 08:54:51 PM »
It seems to me that people just want criticise the movie because they don't like the positive responses it's getting. The plot is good, much better than most action movies, but people like to tear holes and the plot is the most obvious choice.

Offline TL

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
Yes, I love nothing more than to attack things that garner positive critical reception. Oh wait, no, I just dislike Avatar because it's literally ripping off its plot from an earlier film (not basing it on something, not referencing, but outright ripping off) and counting on CGI wank to get people into the theater.

Seriously, that's probably my biggest problem with it. It's depending on people going all "ooh, purty!" at the fucking CGI, rather than counting on good writing or dialog. This is the kind of thing that is ruining modern cinema as we know it.

Something that everyone should keep in mind: there is no such thing as an "original" plot.  All the stories we produce today are based on some play the Greeks wrote thousands of years ago. p
Nope. You're wrong. There are plenty of original ideas left.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »

Ideas, yes.  Plots, no.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 10:19:21 PM »

Ideas, yes.  Plots, no.

This is a very important distinction to make.  Life itself has not changed in all the millennia of our civilized existence, and so should the tales we relate to remain unchanged.  While the wrapping may change, these Greek tragedies and comedies remain in circulation because their message and essential content are universal, adaptable to all cultures and times.

Offline TL

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 10:25:09 PM »
No. While the Greek tragedies and comedies are certainly still very influential, to say there are no original plots left is nothing but pessimism. I'm a very cynical person, and even I have to disagree.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
It's not pessimism at all.  I'm not saying everything's been done and there's nothing new left to do; I'm saying that the Greeks provided the templates for the universal stories.  No matter what's on the surface, most life experiences throughout history will generally follow similar patterns because that's simply the way life works.