Author Topic: Dark Tranquillity  (Read 15972 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Dark Tranquillity
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
I just realized that Mikael has a Rush shirt on and Anders is wearing a Riverside shirt in the tour trailer :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
I just realized that Mikael has a Rush shirt on and Anders is wearing a Riverside shirt in the tour trailer :D

I read that interview that was recently posted and then saw the trailer. I laughed and thought it was cool.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ruba

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2013, 05:23:30 AM »
They'd come to my town w/Omnium Gatherum on Thursday, but 22 euros is kinda much for me. :(

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
C'mon, I bet there aren't that many great gigs in Joensuu too often :biggrin: Besides, the tickets are 4,50€ cheaper than for the Tavastia show :P

Offline Ruba

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
OK, I got a ticket. I'll look at their most recent setlists for what they might play, since I only know Fiction album and The Wonders at Your Feet.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
They'll start the world tour in Turku tonight, so the setlist may change quite a lot (or at least the tour trailer hints so).

Offline Ruba

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »
OK, thanks for info, didn't knew that.

But seems like TWAYF is one of their most played songs, so I'll have a good chance to hear it live.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
Yeah, they rarely leave TWAYF out of headlining sets, so it'll probably be played. It may be boring for longtime fans to hear it every time, but I've never seen DT live before and I love that song, so I wouldn't mind hearing it :metal

Offline Ruba

« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2013, 03:44:53 AM »
First of all, this post will contain some spoilers.

Yeah, I had good time last night. Omnium Gatherum was very good, they play melodic death metal with some progressive edge, I think they sound a bit like Dark Tranquillity.

DT was great. Anders had a Moving Pictures shirt. :metal Mikael was very energetic and clearly in a good mood, thanking the audience numerous time and complementing Finnish beer they had been supplied onstage. Behind the band was a screen, where images supporting the music were projected. And it's kinda weird they don't have a bassist at a moment, but the music worked well without a bass anyway.

Setlist:

Science of Noise
unknown, something off Construct probably?
What Only You Know
Lost in Apathy
The Fatalist? (I'm not completely sure, but I remember a line "The day has come")
The Silence In Between
Lethe
The Mundane and the Magic
Monochromatic Stains
The Wonders at Your Feet
Indifferent Suns
Silence, and the Firmament Withdrew
Terminus (Where the Death Is Most Alive)
State of Trust
Endtime Hearts
ThereIn
Final Resistance
Misery's Crown

For me the highlights were The Mundane and the Magic (have they ever played it with that woman?), The Wonders at Your Feet (before the guitar solo Mikael sang "These are the wonders, Joensuu" :biggrin:), Terminus, State of Trust, Endtime Hearts, ThereIn and Misery's Crown.

I got some pictures with shitty quality, I'll try to upload them later. And I got to shake hands with Martin Brandström, the bald guitarist (Martin Henriksson?) and Mikael Stanne.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:09:11 AM by Ruba »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2013, 04:40:45 AM »
Judging by the recent setlists, the second song was probably White Noise/Black Silence. Or if it was a new song, then it's probably Uniformity. Cool that you heard Indifferent Suns and got to shake hands with the guys! :o
The Mundane and the Magic (have they ever played it with that woman?)
Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8b7toEIv1Q

Offline Ruba

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2013, 05:05:55 AM »
No, it wasn't Uniformity. I'm pretty sure it was based on F# minor key, but I don't remember anything else about it.

And that shaking hands thing... I was pretty near the stage and after the set they just came to the front stage and shook hands with everyone near. I didn't meet them or anything.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2013, 05:36:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was based on F# minor key, but I don't remember anything else about it.
Then it has to be WN/BS.

And yeah, I thought you probably just shook hands with the guys instead of meeting them after the show. The Tavastia gig is almost sold out, so I probably won't get to be close to the stage :-[ That doesn't make me any less excited though :caffeine:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »
I think I just experienced the best gig I've ever seen :hefdaddy

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »
Did you get any video?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2013, 02:17:57 AM »
Nope, but I did take some blurry photos with my phone. I'll post them and a report later.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »
Ok, here's my report...

This was the first time I've attended a gig in Helsinki; the next will be in February when I see another DT live ;D The show took place at the legendary Tavastia club and it was sold out. OmG were alright and they got a good reception from the crowd (which already was pretty big by this point). DT started almost 10 minutes before the official showtime, which didn't bother me one bit :D The music played over the PA before their performance must've been picked by the band, since we heard some electronic stuff and The Depth of Self-Delusion by Riverside :P

The setlist was mostly the same as the one Ruba posted above, but we got Zero Distance instead of Lethe and Final Resistance. Mikael has to be the best frontman I've seen on stage - the amount of energy he has is unbelievable :hefdaddy Too bad I wasn't close enough to the stage to shake his hand :-\ He was seemingly amazed by the reception they got, saying "kiitos" after many songs and repeating "It can't get any better than this!". After both Indifferent Suns and The Firmament Mikael was like "You guys recognized that song? Awesome!"

The screen projections were definitely cooler than just a basic backdrop would've been. The lack of bassist was kind of weird, but the performance worked well in spite of that. The backing track could've been a bit louder on some songs, but luckily you could clearly hear the bass on Indifferent Suns, because the bass line is so crucial to that song.

I had a long-sleeved shirt on and I didn't drink anything the whole night, so I was pretty sweaty after the show :lol But hey, isn't that what rock music is all about? :D There was some moshing in the crowd, but I stayed away from the pit and kept some distance in order to avoid getting pushed. Seeing some guy attempt to clap his hands to the rhythm of the music in the 7/4 section in Zero Distance was comical. I bought a nice T-shirt with the tour dates on it after the gig.

A couple of pics I took during the verses of What Only You Know (the pics I took during some heavier moments of the show are pretty blurry thanks to Mikael's hyperactivity :lol):

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:29 AM »
This cover is pretty awesome :o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqz3s1koYy4

In recent interviews Mikael has said they're gonna tour both North America and Europe again in the fall - can't wait to see them again! :caffeine:

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Nice. Saw them in Denver back in February. Awesome show. I was especially excited to see Omnium Gatherum support them, as it was their first tour in the States, even though they've been around for years.

I didn't know the bass player (of DT) quit though! I was so confused the first minute or so of the show. Never seen a metal band use a backing track just for bass.  :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »
Oh yeah, it's weird but they manage to make it work :D

Online gazinwales

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
I haven't listened to DT in a long time, decided to give WATV a spin and it sounded way better than I remember.
I have since loaded 7 of their albums to my ipod for further investigation.
A really incredibly consistent band that never seems to make a bad album.
Also killer live act.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »
A really incredibly consistent band that never seems to make a bad album.
Also killer live act.
:iagree:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2016, 04:15:57 PM »
Ok, good news and bad news. The album's nearly done in terms of writing...

but one of the founding members left.

https://www.facebook.com/dtofficial/photos/a.420686500747.191215.6841740747/10153583709215748/?type=3&theater

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2016, 05:24:28 AM »
Looks like Henriksson never recovered from that writer's block... :-\ Sad to hear the man who wrote classics like Lethe and Final Resistance has lost his inspiration. I also remember that in the documentary on Where Death is Most Alive they said the founding members had grown up in the same street and been friends since childhood, and it made me feel like these guys were inseparable.

Anyway, I'm confident the band will survive even without Martin, because Sundin, Jivarp and Brändström are all great writers and came up with pretty much all of the material on Construct already.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »
Yeah sad to see him going, but as you said they still have very strong songwriters in the band, with Brändström being my fave.
I've loved his writing and keyboard melodies for a long time now.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »

Offline adace

« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:19:45 PM by adace »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2016, 03:43:32 AM »
I've heard Atoma a few times, and I'm surprised they didn't pick the title-track as the lead single, because it's like the new Wonders at Your Feet and has got clean vox in the verses. It's a little early for me to say anything about the album, but I'd say it's more diverse and perhaps a little more keyboard-driven than Construct and includes a few atypical DT songs. The bonus tracks are... interesting!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2016, 04:02:12 AM »
It's a little early for me to say anything about the album, but I'd say it's more diverse and perhaps a little more keyboard-driven than Construct and includes a few atypical DT songs.

Not sure if "more keyboard-driven" will be an accurate observation because Construct has plenty of that. However, based on comments of another journalist I'm expecting this to be a bit more aggressive and faster in overall tempo.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2016, 04:06:10 AM »
It's a little early for me to say anything about the album, but I'd say it's more diverse and perhaps a little more keyboard-driven than Construct and includes a few atypical DT songs.

Not sure if "more keyboard-driven" will be an accurate observation because Construct has plenty of that. However, based on comments of another journalist I'm expecting this to be a bit more aggressive.
Yeah, my first impression was "wow, so many keyboards", but I haven't listened to Construct in a while so there may not be a lot more of them after all. :lol But the person you're referring to is right, because there are more fast and aggressive songs this time around, though there are also more clean vocals.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:43 AM »
Great song. Records gonna kick ass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2016, 06:34:21 PM »
New song sounds exactly like Construct. I'm good with that as long as it's as consistent as that record.

Offline adace

« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2016, 06:19:26 PM »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
It's on official streaming services. Apple Music, Spotify, etc.

Offline adace

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2016, 01:04:09 PM »