Author Topic: Dark Tranquillity  (Read 15964 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Dark Tranquillity
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2013, 05:55:17 AM »
Second part of Mikael's playlist: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/decibrity-playlist-mikael-stanne-dark-tranquillity-part-2/

There's some prog again ;) I'm not surprised he likes Depeche Mode, since he's the one who wrote Day to End and his clean voice reminds me a bit of Dave Gahan.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 05:14:31 AM »
Bumping this so that the "what are you listening to" thread won't go completely off-topic :D Album ranking time:

Haven
Projector
Damage Done
Construct
The Gallery
Fiction/We Are the Void (can't decide which one is better)
Character
The Mind's I

I haven't heard Skydancer yet, but I'll probably buy it and an accompanying shirt in a couple of days.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2013, 05:26:31 AM »
:lol okay here we go (still don't own all of them):

#1 Fiction (10/10 for me, absolutely incredible)
#2 Character
#3 Projector
#4 Construct
#5 Haven
#6 Damage Done

Not sure about We Are The Void since I've only listened to it once on Spotify and don't have it yet on CD.   

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
The Gallery is a milestone of melodic death metal and definitely worth buying! It also includes Mikael's best screams :metal However, not getting The Mind's I isn't a huge loss - there are some great songs but also a huge amount of filler. Character still hasn't clicked with me, it feels like there aren't enough great melodies.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:15 AM »
The Gallery is a milestone of melodic death metal and definitely worth buying! It also includes Mikael's best screams :metal However, not getting The Mind's I isn't a huge loss - there are some great songs but also a huge amount of filler. Character still hasn't clicked with me, it feels like there aren't enough great melodies.

I'll definitely get all of them, but there are just waaay to many albums on my albums-to-buy list, so it will take some time :D

Character was my first DT album and I didn't really like it for over a year, until it just clicked a couple of months ago. Songs like The New Build, The Endless Feed, Lost To Apathy, Senses Tied and My Negation are absolutely incredible IMO.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »
Okay, let's go then :D

The Gallery
Fiction/Projector
Haven
Damage Done
(probable place for Construct)
We Are The Void
Character
Skydancer (has some pretty cool songs on there)
The Mind's Eye

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »
I've only heard of Construct so far,recommendations for my next album?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2013, 06:04:54 AM »
It depends on what you want to hear... The earlier albums are traditional Gothenburg metal with aggression, but also lots of guitar harmonies and acoustic moments. Projector has more clean vocals than any other release, Haven only has one song with them but it's also really melodic. The later albums are more up-tempo and aggressive, but the electronic elements are also strong. The clean vocals came back on Fiction.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:13:58 AM by ? »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »
If don't explicitly want an album with the traditional Gothenburg sound, I'd say Fiction is the best representation of their later stuff. It has the clean vocals and guitar melodies of Projector, the keyboards and "melodic growls" of Haven, the catchiness of Damage Done and the aggression and electronic effects of Character. It's also (in my opinion of course) their strongest and most consistent album to date.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2013, 07:59:20 AM »
I think Fiction has a few weaker songs (hence the relatively low position in my ranking), but it's a good introduction album indeed.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
I think Fiction has a few weaker songs (hence the relatively low position in my ranking), but it's a good introduction album indeed.

Which ones? I personally can't think of any.

EDIT: 1000th post, woohoo :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »
Congrats on the 1000th post! :D

I'm not too keen on Blind at Heart, Icipher and Empty Me. They are all kind of forgettable IMO. That said, the rest of the album is really great :metal

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
My Negation is too epic for this world :letam: :2metal: :metal

If The New Build wasn't absolutely perfect, MN would surely be my #1 DT song :heart

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
Cornered is my #1 :heart

Today I bought a CD + T-shirt combo of Skydancer (the CD also includes Of Chaos and Eternal Night)! :metal I'll listen to the album tomorrow.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
Freaking Haven fan :D

Haven is fantastic. I won't deny that.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:59 PM »
I'm a sucker for atmosphere and melancholy :D

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
I just noticed that "there's something out there
lost behind the power linesssssaaaahh" from Senses Tied might be my favourite "oouuuaaaaaah" vocal moment out of all the DT material :lol :D

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2013, 06:30:36 AM »
Haven grows on me with every listen, whereas my enthusiasm for Projector seems to come to a bitter halt (:neverusethis:). My revised rankings:

1. Fiction
2. Character
3. Construct / Haven (can't decide)
5. Projector
6. Damage Done

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »
My ranking has basically remained the same, except that now I've heard Skydancer and would put it between Character and The Mind's I. I also think I may prefer Fiction to WATV.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
Damage Done (nothing will surpass it for me, i don't think. first DT record, love every song, even the outtakes)
Construct (obviously REALLY impressed with this one, and it was really immediate, too)
Character (less stellar all the way through than the above)
Projector (i really, really dig their style alterations on this)
The Gallery / The Mind's I (classics but i need to learn them better)
Haven (mostly for "The Wonders at Your Feet;" i find a lot of the melodies are 'happier' in major keys all over the record, so i find it hard to enjoy this one as much as the above)
Fiction / We are the Void (don't know these well enough, kinda fell off the bandwagon in these years)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 08:11:13 AM »
Haven (mostly for "The Wonders at Your Feet;" i find a lot of the melodies are 'happier' in major keys all over the record, so i find it hard to enjoy this one as much as the above)
I can't remember any part of any song on Haven being in major key or sounding even relatively happy :huh: However, I find the mood of the whole album pretty sad, the keyboards have a big role and the guitars aren't tuned down to C# like on most albums, which makes it sound a bit light compared to the aggressive nature DT's music usually has. This doesn't bother me though :D

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Someone tell me that At Loss For Words is a happy song :D

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
straight up, compare the melodies and harmonic movement (not the lyrics, it's strictly how they wrote the music i'm talking about) on Haven to about any other record, but let's say Construct in particular, since it's an extremely stark comparison. Construct is bleak in comparison; they were tapping into some serious doom metal vibes on that one, though obviously their tempos stayed fast. listen to the way the music of "Uniformity" is formed: semitones backed with fifths, parallel movement in the keyboards with the guitars and bass, it's all extremely desolate and negative. throw on "The Wonders at Your Feet" and it's the exact opposite (an observation of the band's prowess across the entire mood spectrum!): electronica keyboard voices playing catchy, friendly melodies under happier guitar leads and harmonic choices. listen to what the guitars play in the verses (or maybe it's a pre-chorus) after the rhythm-section-keys-vocals part — total change in mood, but it's not depressing, bleak, or even neutral; it's still 'happier' even though the song got heavier and deeper (probably a feeling aided by Anders switching to the toms-heavy beat) compared to "Uniformity." this happens all over Haven.

of course it has unhappy songs, it wouldn't be a DT record without; but even those songs have 'happy' harmonic writing — check out 1:40ish of "At Loss for Words" and tell me the harmonic change under the keyboard melody is sad or even neutral despite the overall track having a mood best described as unhappy (and less happy than the rest of the record, compositionally speaking). this is what i'm talking about; even in the epic album ender that covers lots of emotional territory, it's still absolutely covered in that writing style, whereas a track like "Monochromatic Stains" completely avoids it in every single possible way. it's something intrinsic to Haven that i personally don't like very much, and it's cool that lots of people do. i don't need to OK every compositional move they make, but it doesn't mean i have to like them all either.

it's how they were composing at the time, and it held over a bit into Damage Done ("Cathode Ray Sunshine" would have easily fit on Haven) but DD has a much broader mood spectrum representation in comparison, which is part of why i like it a lot more.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »
Now that's a thorough analysis... :o :clap:

I still don't think Haven has any happy moments and Emptier Still is one of their most depressive songs ever IMO (and one of my favorites). Maybe bittersweet or wistful would be a good description of the mood of the album? However, I agree that Cathode Ray Sunshine sounds like it could've been on Haven, which is probably why it's my favorite song on DD. I've also noticed the doomy and slightly dissonant vibe on Construct and it became especially clear when I started learning Uniformity on guitar.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2013, 02:20:45 AM »
You can listen to and buy the newly remastered Skydancer and Of Chaos and Eternal Night digitally here: https://darktranquillity.bandcamp.com/

In the FB post they said the remastered Skydancer will also be available on CD... Dammit, every time I buy some old album it gets reissued immediately after that! :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »
You can listen to and buy the newly remastered Skydancer and Of Chaos and Eternal Night digitally here: https://darktranquillity.bandcamp.com/

In the FB post they said the remastered Skydancer will also be available on CD... Dammit, every time I buy some old album it gets reissued immediately after that! :lol

Think I'll get skydancer.

That same thing happens to me. I find it funnier when I buy an album online then decide to randomly check out a record store and find that same album...yet when I go when I want to get a cd, nothing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:57 AM »
Realisation of the day: Fiction is still a perfect album :2metal: :hearts:

And Haven is still growing on me. It even comes close to replacing Character at #2 for me now.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
I found two live recordings from the Projectour (the tour wasn't called that way, but I like puns) - here's an early version of Misery in Me played in Japan and here's a live video of Freecard from France.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
Another cool discovery from Youtube: Mikael playing guitar! I wonder why he didn't do that at the DVD shoot in Milan...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:21 AM »
Tour trailer (includes setlist spoilers)

Can't wait to see them in Helsinki! :caffeine: For those who weren't curious enough to watch the part where you can see the setlist paper slowed down in HD, the last 4 song titles are

White Noise/Black Silence
The Silence in Between
What Only You Know
State of Trust

The news that the girl from Tristania will sing on some dates of the tour makes me believe at least one of the songs Mikael wanted to play will be in the setlist :biggrin:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:18 AM »
And I won't be able to see them  :-[ :'( >:( :censored :( :tdwn :marriageanalogy:

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
Big fan of this band right here! :metal

I think Construct is one of the strongest metal releases so far this year, along with Soilworks Living Infinite.
Id love to see these guys live, but Tampere is not in their tour-calender this year. :censored

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
Id love to see these guys live, but Tampere is not in their tour-calender this year. :censored
Yeah, that sucks, but I HAVE to see them, so I'll just travel to Helsinki. Hopefully they won't ignore Tampere next time...

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
Yeah, that sucks, but I HAVE to see them, so I'll just travel to Helsinki. Hopefully they won't ignore Tampere next time...

Yeah, hopefully they play in pakkahuone, with their next tour cycle.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
Guess I might have to travel to denver
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD