Author Topic: The Zappa Thread  (Read 81462 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: The Zappa Thread
« Reply #770 on: July 29, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
Yeah, I remember losing my shit laughing out loud when I heard ´Flakes´ for the first time. The second album by him I listened to was Joe´s Garage.... instant fan.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #771 on: July 29, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
I'd heard One Size Fits All years before, but that was in junior high and I had no money.  Sheik Yerbouti came out when I when in high school and had a job, so it was the first Zappa I actually owned.  He had a minor radio hit with "Dancing Fool" (a song about a guy who can't dance?!  :lol) and "sheek yerbouti" seemed to be a pun which fit the dancing theme.

Years later, I was watching some news thing about Arab oil and they were talking about the sheiks who were all multi-zillionaires, and they kept pronouncing it "shake".  Then it hit me: "shake yerbouti".  :omg:

Also, to this day the guitar solo in "Yo Mama" is still my favorite.

Fuck yeah that solo

Joe's Garage was the first album for me (recommended by one of you weirdos on dt.net, I believe) but it didn't stick initially. It wasn't until a friend played Muffin Man and Dinah Moe for me that I thought I should go give it a try again, and I fell in love.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #772 on: July 30, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »
Muffin Man was one of my firsts too, but it was Inca Roads that instantly made me a fan.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #773 on: July 30, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
I had some trouble with Joe's Garage at first, too, and this was after I was already a Zappa fan.  I was a major proghead by then and thought "Really Frank, a concept album?"  The whole thing being narrated by The Central Scrutinizer was wacky, but not itself a horrible idea.  It actually kinda worked, because as with most concept albums, you do need narrative to tie things together.  The whole homoerotic/mechoerotic thing with Gay Bob and Sy Borg was weird and frankly a turn-off.  It didn't help that I'm 100% straight (sorry dudes) and some of my friends took to calling me Gay Bob "to be funny".  The episode with Joe from work didn't really help, either.  (Weird, his name was Joe.  I never thought about that before, although to this day, when I picture Joe from Joe's Garage, he looks like Joe from work.)

But eventually I realized that the story of course was insane as only Frank could do it, parody of the highest order, and the music as always was great.  The story seems to get a bit lost in Acts II and III, but the solos... wow.  And since the music is always more important to me than the concept anyway, I ended up liking it.  But as with most concept albums, I have my favorite parts and rarely have time to listen to the whole thing, and just listening to individual tracks seems somehow wrong.  Which is dumb, but there you go.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #774 on: July 30, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
I have a hard time getting through all of it. There's a ton of good stuff but it's long and I'm not really a fan of that sound he was developing from the late 70s through the early 80s.

The solos are awesome though. Love the xenochrony stuff.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #775 on: July 30, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »
Also, Stick It Out is really funny.

"Fick mich, du miserabler Hurensoooohn!"
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #776 on: July 30, 2016, 11:57:29 PM »
Yeah, I love that whole storyline :lol
There are a few weak spots, but overall I love the album.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #777 on: July 31, 2016, 05:31:26 PM »
Sweet, let us know how it is!
Good stuff. I was expecting a lot of it to be stuff I've already seen before but they surprised me with some new interview/concert footage. Was a very "surface level" view of Frank but still very enjoyable.

I agree with most of this. Some pretty common footage (Steve Allen show, Crossfire, the PA state trooper, the one towards the end of his life) but also a bunch of stuff I hadn't seen and some great concert moments. I just about lost it a few times, especially that interview with the lady on the couch, whoever she was. And his comments on his own drug use :rollin
Definitely worth a watch. Places it's playing for the rest of you: https://sonyclassics.com/eatthatquestion/dates.html

Offline Mosh

« Reply #778 on: July 31, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
Awesome! As far as archival footage goes, I was actually mostly intrigued by some of the concert recordings they showed from the original Mothers. I don't think I've seen that before and I hope the ZFT releases it in full. Or maybe some sort of box set of archival footage.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #779 on: July 31, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »
I'm listening to Tinseltown Rebellion now. Easy Meat is such a killer track!

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #780 on: August 01, 2016, 05:29:54 AM »
By the way, has anyone else realised only relatively recently that the person on the cover of Hot Rats isn't Frank?  :facepalm:
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #781 on: August 01, 2016, 07:17:08 AM »
At first glance, I thought it was Frank, but upon closer examination, you can see that it's not him at all.  The eyes aren't right.  In fact it looks like a chick.  Of course, this was back in the vinyl days when the picture was much larger, easier to see.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #782 on: August 01, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »
I believe the person on the cover is one of Frank's many groupies.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #783 on: August 01, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »
Something like that.  She was their babysitter.

Her name is Christine Frka, a member of Frank's Girls Together Outrageously project, aka the GTO's.  She is also the one generally credited for connecting Frank with Alice Cooper and Frank ultimately signing Alice Cooper.

What, you didn't know that Frank "discovered" Alice Cooper?  True story.

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #784 on: August 01, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
What, you didn't know that Frank "discovered" Alice Cooper?  True story.

I knew about that and, frankly, the AC debut sounds rather different accordingly...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #785 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
The documentary Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words (2016) is making the rounds on Starz or one of those other second-tier premium channels, and I recorded it and checked it out.  Very nicely done.

It's literally just a collection of interviews and archival performances, but they're arranged and sequenced in such a way as to give you an excellent view into Frank's mind.  Frank's gone, of course, but rather than having a bunch of people giving their views on Frank or "reminiscing" or whatever, it's all him, and I'd never seen most of it before.  Basically chronological, there's a lot of black-and-white footage in the older stuff, and the newer stuff is color and generally better quality, but none of it is really horrible, and all of it is worthwhile.

Five barking pumpkins out of Five.  Would watch again (and probably will).  :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #786 on: February 22, 2017, 03:05:55 AM »
So NIhil, Any chance of reviving that Discography-thread?   :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: February 22, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »
The documentary Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words (2016) is making the rounds on Starz or one of those other second-tier premium channels, and I recorded it and checked it out.  Very nicely done.

It's literally just a collection of interviews and archival performances, but they're arranged and sequenced in such a way as to give you an excellent view into Frank's mind.  Frank's gone, of course, but rather than having a bunch of people giving their views on Frank or "reminiscing" or whatever, it's all him, and I'd never seen most of it before.  Basically chronological, there's a lot of black-and-white footage in the older stuff, and the newer stuff is color and generally better quality, but none of it is really horrible, and all of it is worthwhile.

Five barking pumpkins out of Five.  Would watch again (and probably will).  :tup

I watched this for the first time last week. It was so good, yet I couldn't help shedding a few tears at the end. Frank died from the exact same cancer I survived and it doesn't seem fair to the world. I dare say we have needed him these past 20 + years.

I give it four Arfs + one Telefunken U47
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #788 on: February 22, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
With leather?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: February 22, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »
Läther?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #790 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
You'll love it.  It's a way of life.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: February 22, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »
 :lol  We could probably go on like that for days.

Just follow the magic footprints.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #792 on: February 22, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #793 on: February 26, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »

Hi guys, was just thinking about that actually. I don't see it happening in the near future, but I've always said that somehow I'm going to finish it.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #794 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:57 AM »
 :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: February 27, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »
I'm ready when you are, Nihil!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
Totally getting back into it. Even made me stack up my Zappa collection.  :biggrin:

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Nice collection!

My piece of resistance (can't be bothered to look up the correct spelling) is a giant six-foot poster of Frank that my sister procured for me.  This was back in the 80's, Frank was playing somewhere near her, and as they did in the old days, these were posted on walls all around town, like six or eight of them all in a row, a media blast.  She took one and sent it to me.  I have no idea where it is right now, or I'd take a picture of it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #798 on: April 01, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »

Didn't know about this. I'll check it out.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #799 on: April 01, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »
There was some discussion earlier in this thread about the posthumous albums going for ridiculous prices. In case anyone hasn't heard, just about every posthumous album (that wasn't reissued already) is now available on streaming sites and Amazon for very reasonable prices. The only missing albums I've noticed are Trance-Fusion and the 4 disc MOFO.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: April 02, 2017, 02:53:00 AM »
And the 5.1 audio DVD's: Halloween en Quadiophilliac.
Great stuff that all CD's will be rereleased (or have been rereleased if you're from the US). I'm not sure about the packaging, possible all albums will be thin digipacks, I'll order a single one, or possible two or three to check that out, if they look good I guess I will make my Zappa collection near-complete. That would mean ordering 10, but with these prices that's very doable. 

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #801 on: April 02, 2017, 06:42:18 PM »
Ok people, I think I'm finally at a place in my musical listening where I absolutely want to dig into all things Zappa. I have heard numerous individual pieces and I think I've listened to Joe's Garage and Zoot Allures in whole previously.

Although I really love musicianship all around (which is obviously a good thing with Zappa), I find that I connect most instantly with guitar and I know Zappa has had stellar solos and guitar parts throughout his music. If I wanted to start this journey with individual songs; list songs where I can find the juiciest guitar?

I know "Watermelon in Easter Hay" and "Black Napkins" off the top (they are so, so great) . Feel free to list as many songs you all think I would gravitate to initially!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:57:23 PM by WebRaider »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #802 on: April 02, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
Inca Roads
RDNZL (You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore 2)
Montana
Yo Mama
All of Hot Rats

Also there are three albums that are nothing but guitar solos. Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar (originally 3 separate records, now available as one double album), Guitar, and Trance-Fusion. These are worth hearing.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: April 28, 2017, 08:58:01 AM »
The re-releases of nearly all posthumous albums are now out in Europe too. They look really nice, and are remarkably cheap. Listening to Philly 76 now, which is really an awesome live album.

In other news: apparently there is a massive boxset coming. 18 hours of material from a string of shows (Helloween 1977) where the Baby Snakes movie was made from. Among the shows is what Zappa fans call 'the best Zappa live show ever'. Two days of early and late shows of over 1,5 hours each, and then two single night shows of over 3 hours. With extra's I guess.

I'm first and foremost interested to see what the material will be, and what it will cost. I mean, if it's 6 shows, will it mean that we get 6 times Disco Boy, or 6 Poodle Lectures? On the other hand, that will mean 6 versions of Black Napkins. (There is even talk of video, but we'll have to wait and see)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #804 on: April 28, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
That sounds really cool, but damn, why?  Why not just release the individual shows for a reasonable price, rather than a huge thing that will cost so much that only very, very few people will buy it?