Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103294 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #560 on: March 10, 2017, 05:01:02 AM »
When the Walls Go Down is so fucking epic!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #561 on: March 10, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »
Yea that song will suck your soul out, one of the most emotional metal songs i've heard.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #562 on: March 10, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »

I'm wondering if these guys are going to pack it in after this album and tour. I remember reading Tom saying he had always envisioned doing 10 albums, and "The Storm Within" is their tenth. It would really bum me out if they did. There's really not any other band out there that's even remotely similar to fill the void.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: March 10, 2017, 04:19:44 PM »

I'm wondering if these guys are going to pack it in after this album and tour. I remember reading Tom saying he had always envisioned doing 10 albums, and "The Storm Within" is their tenth. It would really bum me out if they did. There's really not any other band out there that's even remotely similar to fill the void.

I have never heard that before.  That would be strange since their last two have been so strong.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #564 on: May 07, 2017, 02:39:26 AM »

Just got home from the first show of the North American tour. Fucking amazing. Got to hang out with them for about half an hour after the show, and got a guitar
pick. I was very pleasantly surprised during the show when Tom announced the next song was going to be "My Allied Ocean", as it was newly added to the set list.
It kicked total ass.

HILARIOUS moment before the show - my cousin and I stopped at a Subway restaurant next to the venue they played. My cousin headed for the bathroom, which was just a small men's
room with a single toilet. He opens the door without knocking, sees a man pissing, and quickly shut the door. The man walked out seconds later.

It was Rikard Zander.  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #565 on: July 14, 2017, 04:57:56 AM »
 >:(
Just got known that Polish Evergrey show in Gdynia (almost my hometown...) which was about to happen on 9th of September... is cancelled... because of reasons independent of the company... Sad day for me because I really hoped to see Them live again with new material. Last time I saw Evergrey live was 2015, during Prog Festival in Spodek, Katowice which DT were headlining... It was awesome show from Evergrey, and of course, even more awesome show from DT. But the main reason I was there was Evergrey... And now, so close home, they had to cancel the show...  :'(

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Great show at Siegburg previous night! Setlist spoilers ahead.

They had an excellent setlist with a lot of my older favourites (A Touch of Blessing, Mark of the Triangle, Recreation Day, When the Walls Go Down) mixed with new songs—I think they had like four songs from Hymns (The Fire, A New Day, The Grand Collapse and King of Errors), and a few from the new album (Distance was excellent live with everyone singing along on the chorus). It was probably the smallest crowd I've ever seen, perhaps 150 people total, and a very cosy local place.

You can even see my silly face on the pic the band posted on FB (see the guy wearing Rock Hard t-shirt? I'm standing next to him on the right in the blue Need shirt—they were opening for Evergrey) :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #567 on: September 28, 2017, 11:01:48 PM »

They had an excellent setlist with a lot of my older favourites (A Touch of Blessing, Mark of the Triangle, Recreation Day, When the Walls Go Down) mixed with new songs—I think they had like four songs from Hymns (The Fire, A New Day, The Grand Collapse and King of Errors), and a few from the new album (Distance was excellent live with everyone singing along on the chorus). It was probably the smallest crowd I've ever seen, perhaps 150 people total, and a very cosy local place.

You can even see my silly face on the pic the band posted on FB (see the guy wearing Rock Hard t-shirt? I'm standing next to him on the right in the blue Need shirt—they were opening for Evergrey) :biggrin:
I'm jealous now... I was angry that Evergrey had to cancel their show in Poland which was planned for 9th of September... Now angry is gone, only sadness left... Did they play For Every Tear That Falls? ;) I was stalking Tom's FB page for that since couple of years now, I even asked Him about it personally after Evergrey show in Katowice, 2015. He only smiled like he always does, and said "Not today, my Friend"...  :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:12:33 PM by The Silent Cody »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: September 29, 2017, 05:20:42 AM »

From the songs you listed, that does sound like an amazing set.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: September 29, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »
They didn't play Every Tear that Falls, unfortunately. Sucks that they cancelled you show, though. Hopefully you'll be able to catch them again someday!

I think the set was similar to this one:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/evergrey/2017/the-underworld-london-england-23e26093.html

So actually yeah, five songs from Hymns! I forgot Black Undertow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #570 on: February 24, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to say how amazing The Storm Within is. Perfect 10/10.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #571 on: February 24, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to say how amazing The Storm Within is. Perfect 10/10.

Hell yeah it is  :metal :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #572 on: February 24, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »
It didn't floor me as instantly as HFTB did. That album was such a breath of fresh air for the band.

TSW is a great album though that grew more and more after each listen, there's some really great tracks on that album but I think Disconnect is still my favourite though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:31 AM »
So the recent drumclip from the studio of the new album sounds very diffrent from recent albums, a bit more prog with a "djent" touch at the end. I for one welcome back prog in Everygrey of course along with the traditional Evergrey sound. Excited for this one I am!  :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #574 on: June 15, 2018, 06:43:14 AM »
I thought The Storm within was much better than HFTB. But I haven't listened to either in a while.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #575 on: June 15, 2018, 07:23:20 AM »
I thought The Storm within was much better than HFTB. But I haven't listened to either in a while.

I agree... except the other way around.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
They just played some music they're working on during a live Q&A on Facebook.  And wow, it was insanely incredible! \m/
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »

Storm is really really good, but Hymns fucking slays it!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2018, 06:06:06 AM »
I'm more of a storms guy over hymns, but hymns is solid.  WAY better than glorious

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: June 19, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
Had nothing better to do today so here's my ranking.  :P

1. In Search of Truth (2001)
2. The Inner Circle (2004)
3. Hymns for the Broken (2014)
4. Recreation Day (2003)
5. The Storm Within (2016)
6. Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy (1999)
7. Monday Morning Apocalypse (2006)
8. The Dark Discovery (1998)
9. Torn (2008)
10. Glorious Collision (2011)

1 and 2 are clear as day to me. ISoT is one of my favourite concept progmetal albums, as simple as that. TIC is also a great album with some deeply dark songs.
3 was such a "comeback" for them and even though it's less proggy and more straight forward than usual it's still has some really great songs, infact I feel all the songs on the album are really strong with no real filler.
4 to 7 was harder to rank because even though they're not as strong as 1-3, they still contain some really strong songs and honestly I pretty much could put them in whatever order.
8 It's a great debut but not really on pair with their latter albums.
9 and 10 are both pretty meh for me other than some interesting songs here and there.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #580 on: June 19, 2018, 07:02:26 AM »

1. In search of truth
2. recreation day
3. Dark discovery
4. MM Apocalypse
5. Storm

Those are my 5 go to albums, that I listen to on regular rotation. These rest I don't really listen to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »
1 - Recreation Day
2 - Hymns for the Broken
3 - Solitude, Dominance Tragedy
4 - In Search of Truth
5 - The Inner Circle
6 - The Storm Within
7 - Torn
8 - Monday Morning Apocalypse
9 - Glorious Collusion
10 - The Dark Discovery
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #582 on: August 04, 2018, 09:45:35 AM »
So I don't know much about Evergrey (I only know about Tom thanks to Ayreon appearances, where I adore his parts). But I just wrapped up Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy -  :omg: That is a good album. Wow. Really digging this, hope the other albums don't disappoint, I'm going to try to hear one or two more today.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #583 on: August 04, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
SDT is great. Other albums in my top three Evegrey would be In Search of Truth and The Inner Circle. Great band. They seemed to lose their way for 2-3 albums, but their last two records are a pretty solid return. Definitely worth exploring their catalogue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: August 04, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
SDT is great. Other albums in my top three Evegrey would be In Search of Truth and The Inner Circle. Great band. They seemed to lose their way for 2-3 albums, but their last two records are a pretty solid return. Definitely worth exploring their catalogue.

Friend of mine suggested both of those. Unfortunately TIC isn't on spotify so I downloaded ISOT and Recreation Day.  The latter is impressing me in a big way.  Will play ISOT later.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #585 on: August 05, 2018, 12:17:09 AM »
Recreation Day is my favorite.  In Search of Truth seems to be the fan favorite, and it's also great.  (So is The Inner Circle).  Basically, what Snow Dog said except RD is my personal favorite.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #586 on: August 05, 2018, 12:35:14 AM »
In Search of Truth  :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: August 05, 2018, 04:37:43 AM »

Friend of mine suggested both of those. Unfortunately TIC isn't on spotify so I downloaded ISOT and Recreation Day.  The latter is impressing me in a big way.  Will play ISOT later.

If you're liking Recreation Day, ISOT will be a hit too.  It's a shame too, because Everygrey was going to be on the list if I kept with the strategy of submitting gradually heavier albums in your Roulette.  But, after Anthriel didn't hit the mark, it was back to prog-rock.  I'll go all-heavy next time around.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: August 05, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »

If you're liking Recreation Day, ISOT will be a hit too.  It's a shame too, because Everygrey was going to be on the list if I kept with the strategy of submitting gradually heavier albums in your Roulette.  But, after Anthriel didn't hit the mark, it was back to prog-rock.  I'll go all-heavy next time around.

ISOT is very good. If I had to rank them so far, I enjoy Recreation Day the most, then SDT, then ISOT. But they're all fantastic, I'm enjoying this band a whole lot, you would've done well to send them! Too bad you can't for the next one now  :lol

This band's hitting the sweet spot, these three albums are fantastic. Gonna digest them before checking out the rest, but this is awesome.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #589 on: August 05, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
Took me a long time, but I finally listened to an Evergrey album. Recreation Day is awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lethean

« Reply #590 on: August 05, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
My every morning....

Offline T-ski

« Reply #591 on: October 14, 2018, 07:24:31 PM »
according to Evergrey's Facebook page, their new album is done.

no other details as of yet.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: October 14, 2018, 07:51:16 PM »
according to Evergrey's Facebook page, their new album is done.

no other details as of yet.

Oh baby!!  Bring it on.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: October 15, 2018, 04:36:50 AM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #594 on: October 15, 2018, 08:40:47 AM »
That is good news! Hopefully a new tour with a date over here, as I have yet to see them live and would certainly not want to miss them again.