Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103188 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #420 on: June 23, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »
New album details from their Facebook page:

Support Evergrey by pre-ordering their new album from the band here: www.evergrey.net/shop
AND PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD BY SHARING! THANK YOU!

EVERGREY - The Storm Within

Summing up Evergrey's new album The Storm Within quick and to the point, the band is celebrating their 20th Anniversary with the strongest album of their career.

While this may come off as music industry lip-service in honour of the Swedish quintet, anyone who has followed Evergrey will find it impossible not to become completely enthralled by the music on The Storm Within within the space of the first listen. The band's trademark progressive, dark and melancholic elements are as strong as ever, the album ranks as one of the most progressive record they've created in terms of performance, but Evergrey managed to put it in a package that is more accessible and direct compared to any of their nine previous outings. Frontman / founder Tom S. Englund credits Evergrey's learning-by-doing over the past two decades for the feel of The Storm Within, in particular their all-important Hymns For The Broken record from 2014, which saw a revitalized Evergrey line-up return with a new energy.

"We went from having no intention of making an album at all to having all the inspiration in the world on Hymns For The Broken," says Englund. "Honestly, we've never felt better. The Storm Within is a massive album. There are no fillers on it and we've never been about that. I think the inspiration speaks for itself."

Evergrey's lyrics have always matched the depth and intensity of their music, and the concept behind The Storm Within is no exception. Englund considers the storyline behind the lyrics to be one of the biggest concepts Evergrey has ever tackled, based on something that everyone can relate to; having someone, losing them, and having to pick yourself up and move on. He goes so far as to call it the band's first "love" album, but it's not a subject that should be taken lightly in the Evergrey universe.

"As usual, the lyrics are based on someone or some event in my life," says Englund. "When we were making this album a lot of these relationship issues were going on around me; people losing a partner or a loved one and grieving. The Storm Within is about a search for identity, trying to make yourself full when you feel half empty, and I placed that storyline in an interstellar world."

Musically, The Storm Within plays to Evergrey's trademark prog metal attack but it's loaded with double-take moments. Lead-off track "Distance" is a surprise lead single (and first video), the melodically and lyrically stunning "Passing Through" is destined to become a fan favourite, "My Allied Ocean" is one of Evergrey's most aggressive songs to date, and the epic title track makes for the perfect album closer in the tradition of Devin Townsend or Rush. The addition of Nightwish vocalist Floor Jansen on "In Orbit" is the icing on an already filling cake.

"That was actually my wife (Carina Englund) thinking for me," Englund says of Jansen's involvement. "Floor is a personal friend and major Evergrey fan, so it was over a glass of wine between her and my wife, who asked her if she wanted to do the song. 'In Orbit' is a powerhouse of a song and it would be easy to make it the first single, but it's not the first impression we want to make. That said, it would be stupid not to release it as a single, and if we could get Floor to do the video, that would be a home run."

Speaking of Englund's better half Carina, she reprises her ongoing role as Evergrey's secret weapon on every album since they began, contributing vocals this time out to the song "The Paradox Of The Flame". In addition, Evergrey renewed their partnership with critically acclaimed video director Patric Ullaeus for The Storm Within, fulfilling the band's vision of creating the most cinematic album in their catalogue. Three stellar clips were shot and, in a huge promotional push, are slated to hit the internet leading up to the official album release.

Englund is proud to have The Storm Within represent Evergrey's all-important 20th Anniversary, although he freely admits he didn't take note of the landmark occasion until the album was well underway.

"I had a goal when I started Evergrey; I wanted to make 10 albums and that would fulfill my life plan. That's not something I ever thought I would accomplish. It's quite an amazing thing to be a band for 20 years and release albums that aren't sub-par. When I realized we'd done 10 albums in 20 years it was mind-boggling. I'm proud to say that out of all the albums we've released over the last 20 years, we've never released one that we didn't feel was the best we could do at that time. That goes for every song, every note, everything. That's why we don't do anything half-assed."

THE STORM WITHIN - Tracklist

Distance
Passing Trough
Someday
Astray
The Impossible
My allied ocean
In Orbit (feauturing Floor Jansen)
The lonely monarch
The paradox of the flame
Disconnect
The storm within

Line-Up

Tom S. Englund - vocals, guitar
Henrik Danhage - guitar, backing vocals
Rikard Zander - keyboard, backing vocals
Jonas Ekdahl - drums
Johan Niemann - bass, backing vocals

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: June 23, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
Damn, I'm really excited for this. Time to finally update DTF Release Date Calendar I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
Do you guys think the link above is the best spot to order the album?  The digipak/t-shirt bundle ended up being $51, which is a bit steep.  I'm assuming it's because the online shop is based in Europe and I'm in the U.S.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
Do you guys think the link above is the best spot to order the album?  The digipak/t-shirt bundle ended up being $51, which is a bit steep.  I'm assuming it's because the online shop is based in Europe and I'm in the U.S.

If you want a boxset or some bundle, maybe. I'll probably end up ordering on Amazon as I did with 2CD Digipack edition of Hymns for the Broken.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #424 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Awesome!

I really enjoyed the last one and rank it as one of their top albums but it was less progressive than any of their previous albums so reading this makes me happy:

"The band's trademark progressive, dark and melancholic elements are as strong as ever, the album ranks as one of the most progressive record they've created in terms of performance, but Evergrey managed to put it in a package that is more accessible and direct compared to any of their nine previous outings."
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #425 on: June 23, 2016, 12:41:52 PM »
I'm constantly amazed how much band press releases can talk about albums while saying so very little. :lol

Regardless, I'm very excited for this. If it's anywhere close to the quality of Hymns, then this is going to be a hell of an album. The album cover is really awesome as well. :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #426 on: June 23, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »

Those prices are pretty steep, price's in Euro's plus shipping.
I'll wait for amazon.

Also avoid ordering direct from their label AFM, nothing good to say about them.
High prices, high shipping and usually they don't ship until after the official release date.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:33:41 PM by gazinwales »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: June 23, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »
Can't wait for this.  Hymns blew me away and is top 3 Evergrey IMO so this is an instant purchase.

But when is the actual release date, doesn't say anywhere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: June 23, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »
Can't wait for this.  Hymns blew me away and is top 3 Evergrey IMO so this is an instant purchase.

Sept. 9, according to Blabbermouth.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: June 23, 2016, 02:40:24 PM »

Sept. 9, according to Blabbermouth.

Cool, thanks bro.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #430 on: July 01, 2016, 07:39:16 AM »

Can't. Fucking. Wait.

That album cover is bad ass, too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #431 on: July 07, 2016, 01:51:54 AM »
https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/essential-rock-metal-releases-still-to-come-in-2016-part-1/

I will admit at this point to having already heard album number 10, ‘The Storm Within’, which is due to be released on 9th September 2016. I won’t give too much away at this stage but, suffice to say, I have a problem. I gave the superlative ‘Hymns For The Broken’ a perfect 10/10 when I reviewed it. So what score do I give an album that might, just might, turn out with a few more spins to be even better?

Seems like we might be in for treat yet again.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:39 AM »
^^^^^

Hot damn, can't wait!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: July 07, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »
Can someone recommend me some Evergrey?
Kade? Ruslan?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #434 on: July 07, 2016, 08:06:01 AM »
My favourite is by far The Inner Circle, but it has fairly weak/thin production. The combination of music/lyrics is hugely powerful though.

However, you may well be more interested in their most recent album, TAC, called Hymns for the Broken. Less proggy, but very strong melodically and by far their best produced.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: July 07, 2016, 08:11:46 AM »
Kade? Ruslan?

My favourite Evergrey album is In Search for Truth (Mark of the Triangle, the song I sent you a live version of, is on that album), but I'm not sure it'll be right up your alley to be honest. Their latest album, Hymns for the Broken is not too shabby either, really well-done and as Rich said, good melodies and production, so maybe try that one if you already haven't. The Inner Circle and Recreation Day are also in my rotation fairly often.

These four albums are basically Evergrey for me, I can't remember the last time I listened to something else from them except maybe Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: July 07, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
Recreation day does nothing for me but all the other ones mentioned are the only albums I bother with -  Hymns, The Inner Circle and In Search of Truth.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »
Kade? Ruslan?

My favourite Evergrey album is In Search for Truth (Mark of the Triangle, the song I sent you a live version of, is on that album), but I'm not sure it'll be right up your alley to be honest. Their latest album, Hymns for the Broken is not too shabby either, really well-done and as Rich said, good melodies and production, so maybe try that one if you already haven't. The Inner Circle and Recreation Day are also in my rotation fairly often.

These four albums are basically Evergrey for me
Yeah those are definitely the main four. I also like Glorious Collision, though the fanbase seems less keen on that one for some reason.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
Kade? Ruslan?

Recreation Day
In Search of Truth
Hymns For the Broken
The Inner Circle

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #441 on: July 18, 2016, 10:44:45 PM »

I'm totally psyched about this, and glad it didn't take them a long time to get this done after "Hymns for the Broken".

The video appears to be quite elaborate from what we've seen so far. However, it might be a little difficult to top the impact
"King of Errors" made in 2014 with the reveal of Henrik and Jonas being back in the band, and the song itself being so good.

I hope they go with better choices of songs to make videos for this time around, too. "Black Undertow" and "The Grand Collapse"
really weren't the best choices last time, in my opinion.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: July 19, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »
I hope they go with better choices of songs to make videos for this time around, too. "Black Undertow" and "The Grand Collapse"
really weren't the best choices last time, in my opinion.

I'd agree, even though TGC is insanely epic.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2016, 11:33:56 AM »
I can see how TGC wouldn't be a great video choice but Black Undertow is great. Has mellow parts, heavy parts, catchy chorus. What's the problem?

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #444 on: July 19, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »
I can see how TGC wouldn't be a great video choice but Black Undertow is great. Has mellow parts, heavy parts, catchy chorus. What's the problem?

Right. "The Grand Collapse" as a song is great. It just seemed an odd choice for a video due to there being very little vocals.(which reminds me, there was supposed to be vocals added to the video version that never happened) I showed it to a few people who were unfamiliar with the band, and I could tell they were losing interest in it about half way through. Everyone of them also said "I thought this was a band??" after realizing they hadn't seen anyone but Tom after 3 or 4 minutes. "Black Undertow" is a good song, too. I just think "Hymns for the Broken" would have been the better choice. It has "radio hit" written all over it. It could have easily been the first single/video from the album if they had decided not to go with "King of Errors".

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 19, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »

Just better songs to pick IMO.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2016, 11:22:19 AM »
EVERGREY - Distance (2016)

Oh I really like the last choir part, so emotional. I like the video, some beautiful cinematography from what I presume is Island.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2016, 11:24:05 AM »
first new song/video out.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqoJTWmG4Xs

not as into it as I was with the new stuff from Hymns.  we'll see how it plays out.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #448 on: July 28, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »
Cool song, cool video

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: July 28, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
Not bad, but definitely not as exciting as King of Errors was for me two years ago. Still a solid song though, really liked the last chorus where Tom sings together with the choir.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #450 on: July 28, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »
Not bad, but definitely not as exciting as King of Errors was for me two years ago. Still a solid song though, really liked the last chorus where Tom sings together with the choir.

That's how I would describe it, as well. I knew that whole experience would be hard to top. This is still a decent enough song, though. It seems like it could
have been on the "Hymns" album.

The video itself looks really good as expected. However, I hope this is the last video we see of Tom going on another slow motion nature walk.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: July 28, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
Definitely picks up where Hymns left off, I really really like it.  Looking forward to it big time.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #452 on: July 28, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »
The song was good, nothing amazing overall but solid. Until the ending - that was brilliant.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: July 28, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »
The song was good, nothing amazing overall but solid. Until the ending - that was brilliant.

Similar for me - a bit of a plodder that took a step up from the solo onward.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2016, 03:39:01 AM »
That's a decent track. Lots of subtle dynamics in the music and good vocal lines.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.