Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103070 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:46 PM »
Wake a Change is easily my least favorite. The modulation at the end seems a bit too cliché. At least for my tastes. Black Undertow is my favorite at the moment.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »
Yea Black Undertow was the first that clicked with me. If I were to rate a least favourite, I guess it would be The Grand Collapse not because it's a bad song, there's some really cool parts in it but I feel it's a bit to repetitive and i'm thinking mostly of the rythm that starts at 2:05 and run through almost the whole song.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2014, 07:14:58 AM »
I understand, though I really like the song, it's one of my favorites. It uses monotony as a weapon. Doesn't work for everybody I see.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
I love that children's choir or whatever it is in The Fire. So catchy.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
I love that children's choir or whatever it is in The Fire. So catchy.

Me, too, and I normally don't like when bands or artists do that. It usually reminds me of those children nursery rhyme CD's you see advertised on TV.

As for "The Grand Collapse", yes, I can see where parts of it can be perceived as monotonous. Lots of single note "chugga chugga". I can overlook it, though.
It's still a bad ass, adrenaline pumping track.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »
So I've listened a few times, and it's definitely a great one. A little bit repetitive, but very very good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #321 on: October 15, 2014, 01:01:23 AM »

My crotchety neighbor who doesn't like ANY music beyond the 70's listened to the album in its entirety with me today, and I damn near dropped dead when he said "I definitely need to hear this again."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: October 19, 2014, 04:41:26 AM »
Got my copy a few days ago, and I will say that the album is a major grower.  On the first couple of listens I reserved judgement as a lot of the material here was quite unique and hard to fully grasp onto right away.  I actually felt a little underwhelmed on the first listen, but that will always happen when something is hyped up so much.

Saying that, after about 6 or 7 listens, this does actually live up to the hype.  It's bloody unbelievable. 

King of Error is just as strong as when it was released, perhaps even stronger with the album.  The chorus is just incredible and the atmosphere is wonderful and thick.

A New Dawn instantly reminds me of In Rememberance and I guess it shows the more commercial feel the band acomplish in parts here.  Great melodies and love Rikard's section in the middle.

Wake A Change is a little weaker and more of a grower.  As it grows, it's a excellent edition to the album.  Quite catchy and again has a very heavy commercial feel, although at the same time reminding me of TIC a little.  The middle 8 though is very MMA.  Tom's solo at the end too is good.

Archaic Rage is one I'm still coming to terms with, it's strange and can't fully gather my thoughts around it.  I don't think they should have placed it next to Wake a Change as the intro sounds a lot like it.  The middle section is fantastic.  More prog in this one and a big grower.

Barricades is something very different for Evergrey but again another grower it's a welcome addition to the album.  Placed nicely in the middle of the album too.

Black Undertow was one of my least favs at the start but is becoming one of my favs.  A big grower with an amazing atmosphere with a catchy chorus.  Tom sounds huge here with amazing emotion.

Reminds me of the heavier moments from TIC.  Love the child choirs and one of the best choruses on the album.  Interesting structure and decision to not include a guitar solo.

The title track at the moment is the best song on the album and simply one of the greatest things Evergrey have ever done.  It's just stunning with emotion and atmosphere that is just insane.  A perfect song really.  Love the double trade off solos too.  They are so simple but express so much emotion.

Missing You is a pretty damn good ballad.  Something like this sometimes would not work placed between heavier songs but Evergrey make is work.  Tom again sounds huge and puts out a intense performance.

Here comes two of the most boldest, breathtaking pieces the band have ever done.  The Grand Collapse has some insane riffing which actually reminds me a lot of When the Walls Go Down.  The structure of this is again a grower but is opening up to be one of the most excellent and emotive pieces.  When that riff kicks in when Tom sings 'I' at around the 2 minute mark is just goosebump material.  What a song.  Again, no real solo which is interesting, but saying that, it doesn't need it.

The Aftermath at first was something I wasn't sure what the band were trying to do, but I knew it was a grower.  I thought the structure was weird and one of those songs that could have been a lot more.  Until I listened to it more and more and realised it is one of the greatest things the band have done.  I think now the structure is perfect and I actually wish the jam at the end would go on for a couple of minutes longer.  The last verse is just incredible.  I can't really express how I feel about this song at the moment, and it's still growing, I've only had the album 4 days.  This song has a lot of The Tea Party feel too actually, but I know it's probably a band the band wouldn't be influenced by.  Again no real solo which surprised me as the solos on this album are limited, but everything has it's place and this song in particular is perfect the way it is.

I'm fucking loving this album at the moment.  Top 3;

The Aftermath
Hymns for the Broken
King of Errors

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #323 on: October 19, 2014, 05:53:27 AM »
Great writeup Kade. I've been splitting my time recently between this, Enchant, and Flying Colors - all released on the same day. Only have 3 listens or so myself.  Love the title track too, and I really love how Hymns For the Brpken isn't just a piano remix, but actually recorded on its own. It's just as awesome as a ballad.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: October 19, 2014, 06:51:38 AM »
  Top 3;

The Aftermath
Hymns for the Broken
King of Errors

Same here
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: October 19, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
Great writeup Kade. I've been splitting my time recently between this, Enchant, and Flying Colors - all released on the same day. Only have 3 listens or so myself.  Love the title track too, and I really love how Hymns For the Brpken isn't just a piano remix, but actually recorded on its own. It's just as awesome as a ballad.

Still waiting on my Flying Colors.  Never was a huge Enchant fan, but I might check the new one out.

I actually haven't been able to pull the album out to put on the second cd.  I should do that.

Top 3;

The Aftermath
Hymns for the Broken
King of Errors

Same here

Word.  :hat

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #326 on: October 19, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »
Every time I get to the end of this album, I end up listening to "The Aftermath" about 3 times.  It's on Evergrey's Pantheon of greatest songs.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #327 on: October 20, 2014, 04:20:18 AM »
Awesome to hear so much positive things about the album. Looking forward to hear the songs live, I think alot of the songs will work even better live.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: October 20, 2014, 05:33:36 AM »
Every time I get to the end of this album, I end up listening to "The Aftermath" about 3 times.  It's on Evergrey's Pantheon of greatest songs.

Yes to this whole post.

It's on repeat in the car, and I have no intention of switching to something else.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #329 on: October 20, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
Got my copy a few days ago, and I will say that the album is a major grower. 

It was pretty much the opposite for me. I connected with most of the songs instantly, which is so rare. It's funny, many of the reviews beforehand said this
album was a return to the Evergrey of old, but I feel overall, they took a step forward.

And damn, I just can't say enough good things about "The Aftermath". Just a truly incredible song. It leaves me with a feeling I can't even describe.

I thought for sure I'd be tired of "King of Errors" by the time the album came out, but no, I crank the hell out of it just as much as the others.
I can't wait to see the video for "The Grand Collapse" to find out what they've added to it. I thought for sure "Hymns for the Broken" would be the second video.

This was an amazing comeback for the entire band, but I hope this album earns Tom Englund the respect he deserves as a vocalist. He's one of a kind, and sounds just as great live.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2014, 09:00:06 PM »
Got my copy a few days ago, and I will say that the album is a major grower. 

It was pretty much the opposite for me. I connected with most of the songs instantly, which is so rare. It's funny, many of the reviews beforehand said this
album was a return to the Evergrey of old, but I feel overall, they took a step forward.

And damn, I just can't say enough good things about "The Aftermath". Just a truly incredible song. It leaves me with a feeling I can't even describe.

I thought for sure I'd be tired of "King of Errors" by the time the album came out, but no, I crank the hell out of it just as much as the others.
I can't wait to see the video for "The Grand Collapse" to find out what they've added to it. I thought for sure "Hymns for the Broken" would be the second video.

This was an amazing comeback for the entire band, but I hope this album earns Tom Englund the respect he deserves as a vocalist. He's one of a kind, and sounds just as great live.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #331 on: October 21, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
After some time, this album is still going strong. With some big names (to me) putting things out around the same time as this, it went under the radar to some degree, but it quickly rose to the top. Flying Colors, Threshold, Enchant... all very solid (especially Flying Colors), but this was on a level above them all. Great album from Evergrey.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
This album will probably make my top 3 for the year.  Definitely top 5 for sure though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
Finally, my review is up. I just started out reviewing for Dutch Progressive Rock Pages.

Here's the review of the album: https://dprp.net/reviews/201458.php#evergrey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
Yeah, I definitely thought it would be in my Top 5 and it's growing and growing. Just received the physical digipack 2CD copy yesterday (about time). I'm in love with piano version of title track now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »

Good review, Pixel. It came across as objective. I agree with the comparison between "The Aftermath" and Floyd's "High Hopes", too. They managed to capture a similar feel without it being a blatant rip off.

As for where this albums ranks in releases this year, I have to easily put it at number one. My next anticipated release is Nightwish's next one, and they are going to have their hands full topping "Hymns for the Broken", but I still have a feeling it's going to be good.

And yes, Evermind. I totally dig the piano version of "Hymns for the Broken", as well. It's fucking stunning.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #336 on: October 24, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »
The new album isn't doing it for me at all. It probably has to do with my general lack of interest in Evergrey over the last couple of years, though...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: October 24, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »
The new album isn't doing it for me at all. It probably has to do with my general lack of interest in Evergrey over the last couple of years, though...

How many times did you spin it?

I'm still listening to it after a week straight.  Still in my cd player.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2014, 04:10:05 AM »
Five or six times.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: October 26, 2014, 03:59:15 AM »
Five or six times.

Fair enough then.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #340 on: October 26, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »

So, the "King of Errors" song/video didn't reignite your interest in them?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »
The band doesn't interest him.  Sometimes interests drift.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:48 AM »
I really connected with this album over the weekend.  I love the whole "inner revolution/war" concept and how it's delivered through the artwork, lyrics and sound effects.  Brilliantly done.  Tom captured the feeling/mindset really well, in my opinion.  I feel like this could end up in my top 10-15 albums of all-time eventually, but we'll see.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mladen

« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »

Nope, I thought the song was pretty average. It's weird how the new album got some older fans excited, even the ones that gave up on the band years ago, yet to me it doesn't sound like much of an improvement over Monday morning apocalypse or Torn. In fact, it reminded me that Glorious collision was pretty solid in comparison. But hey, that's just me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: October 28, 2014, 05:25:59 AM »

Nope, I thought the song was pretty average. It's weird how the new album got some older fans excited, even the ones that gave up on the band years ago, yet to me it doesn't sound like much of an improvement over Monday morning apocalypse or Torn. In fact, it reminded me that Glorious collision was pretty solid in comparison. But hey, that's just me.

As much as I love the new album, I can totally see where you are coming from.  I don't really think it's a return to the old Evergrey either to be honest.  I think the album is pretty much a perfect mix of MMA and TIC, but still being a new beast also for the band.  There's nothing here that reminds me of anything before TIC at all.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »

To each their own and all that jazz, but would you agree that the new album is very well produced? Surely, you have to give it that much.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: October 30, 2014, 04:21:11 AM »
He doesn't like it man, don't worry about it, it's okay.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: October 30, 2014, 08:08:29 AM »
Another thing I like about the album is that the sound effects incorporate everything from marching soldiers to horses to helicopters -- which are from all different time periods of war.  It's a subtle way of showing that the inner revolution concept is timeless.  The people who lived centuries ago face the same battle as we face today.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #348 on: October 30, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »
Yea I really like the gun sounds, they sound very authentic.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #349 on: October 31, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »
To each their own and all that jazz, but would you agree that the new album is very well produced? Surely, you have to give it that much.
Oh yeah, it does sound great.  :tup