Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103051 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
Yea the production is really stellar. Have been listening both on headphones and in my car and in both places you heard everything crystal clear.
Funny I have been listening to the album all day and have noticed being very affected by their music. Feeling moody and heavy and yet uplifted at the same time. A very strange feeling.
I blame Toms voice, he slowly sucks your soul out!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

Another thing I'm digging is Rikard's increased presence on the album. It's noticeable, yet not overwhelming.

I just made my way to the piano version of "Hymns for the Broken" on the second disc. WOW!! :omg:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »

Another thing I'm digging is Rikard's increased presence on the album. It's noticeable, yet not overwhelming.

I just made my way to the piano version of "Hymns for the Broken" on the second disc. WOW!! :omg:

This is good to read, I always feel Rikard should be involved more in teh sound.

Looks like I will have to get the 2cd version then.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »

Yeah, they let him out of his cage for this one. It's no Jordan Rudess shred type of stuff, and that's a good thing in this case. It's mostly atmospheric sounds and piano. "Missing You" is really nice.

The second disc is definitely worth it for "Hymns for the Broken" alone. Carina's and Tom's voice together is pure magic here.

Out of all the tracks, I think "The Aftermath" surprised me the most. Judging by the title alone, I was expecting a generic filler song, and it's anything but. Hearing the slide guitar in the beginning was really cool.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
It's a really nice duett, there's actually some parts in the melody that Tom sings differently that I prefer over the full version.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #285 on: September 27, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »
Finally, the keyboards that I missed since TIC. And the sick riffage too, this is Evergrey.

The Grand Collapse is melting my face. So  :metal
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:50:41 AM by abydos »

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #286 on: September 27, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »

Yeah, The Grand Collapse is a fun song.

Damn, I'm so glad this lived up to the hype. I can't pull myself away from it. My cousin sent me an email earlier saying this is the first album he's ever owned
where he won't skip a track.

I've given "Missing You" a few more listens. The first time I thought to myself "ah, that was nice", but was eager to hear the rest of the album.
The second time I listened to it a bit more closely, and I was floored. What a gut wrenching ballad.

I'm totally digging how they closed out "The Aftermath", too. So simple, yet melodic and memorable.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: September 27, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Damn, I'm so glad this lived up to the hype. I can't pull myself away from it. My cousin sent me an email earlier saying this is the first album he's ever owned where he won't skip a track.

Wow. I can probably name more than a hundred of those.

But yeah, this Evergrey album is amazing. I was listening to my promo a lot, and I can't wait to hold the actual digipack in my hands, though it will arrive at 15th of October according to amazon. I love both The Grand Collapse and The Aftermath, I also like Black Undertow and title track, and of course King of Errors is some serious metal  :metal
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #288 on: September 27, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »
Man. The album is amazing. Production is top notch (how I wish Glorious Collision and Torn would've been mixed like this). Love how the keys bring up the atmosphere and variety in the songs. Tom Englund is probably one of most underrated singers and guitar players around in the biz.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #289 on: September 27, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
SPOILERS
The 2nd verse in the title track is just pure emotions. The album grows for every listening because I can't put it down.

There's alot of powerful moments on the album like the ending on Archaic Rage were a woman in swedish confronts a guy about physical abuse, it's pretty heart wrenching.

I still stand with the fact that the songs are more straight forward than ever though with less technical parts and more straight to the point kind of vibe.
With that said they nail it on every other department with deep and emotional lyrics and melodies. Lots of big and open choruses drenched in melancholy and despair but also hope and self-reflection.

As many have said the production is stellar and deserve some extra praise. Everything is crystal clear!

The album is very very good but not their best as some say because if you ask me they had a better variation amongst the songs on ISoT. I kind of prefer that to be honest. Still a damn good album and a solid "comeback".

Top 3
Black Undertow
The Aftermath
Hymns For The Broken

Oh I forgot the best part: Tom Englunds voice!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #290 on: September 28, 2014, 04:24:43 AM »
I agree with what you guys are saying. I've been listening to this album for over a month now, and while it's definitely a 'return to form' it's far from their older, more progressive style. That said, I feel that they've taken the better side of their more straightforward style to this album. It does get a bit samey in the middle somewhere, but 'Black Undertow' is a career highlight for sure. By the way, do y'all too think that this is probably their most commercial record yet?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:16 AM »
Yea I think so atleast and I think the hype surrounding the release have helped alot. The exposure and hype they got for the King Of Errors video boosted their sales for sure.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
By the way, do y'all too think that this is probably their most commercial record yet?

I would agree, and unlike like most fans of "prog" bands, I don't mind it at all. I think this is exactly what they needed to do
considering the band itself was on the verge of not existing anymore.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »
By the way, do y'all too think that this is probably their most commercial record yet?

I would agree, and unlike like most fans of "prog" bands, I don't mind it at all. I think this is exactly what they needed to do
considering the band itself was on the verge of not existing anymore.

+1. The commercial approach works this time.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:11 PM »

Right on.

I had "Missing You" playing just a little while ago. My brother, who has never heard of Evergrey walked by and said "since when do you listen to Michael Bolton?"

Now I'll never be able to listen to the song without envisioning that fuck.

I should have punched my brother in the face.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
Cut him up and sell him for parts.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2014, 05:49:05 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: September 29, 2014, 05:41:00 AM »
Just placed my order for the double cd edition.  Can't wait to get it.

In anticipation I sampled the title track on youtube to keep me going..........HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!  :hefdaddy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: September 29, 2014, 06:26:39 AM »
Nice man, the 2nd CD was a nice surprise for me!  :)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
The title track is breathtaking.  I'm not too familiar with old Evergrey, so I held off until I heard some more from the new album before buying.  That song did it for me.  Every hair on my body stood up.  Total chills.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #300 on: September 29, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »
Oh, Mebert, I have the feeling you're going to be blown away pretty much every 2-3 songs from their albums. Just ignore Torn and Glorious Collision. The atmosphere and emotion that reeks from them should be right up your alley.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:35 AM »
Oh, Mebert, I have the feeling you're going to be blown away pretty much every 2-3 songs from their albums. Just ignore Torn and Glorious Collision. The atmosphere and emotion that reeks from them should be right up your alley.

I wouldn't ignore them, but I would go for them last. GC is much better than Torn.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2014, 06:06:42 AM »
I find GC to be much better than Torn or MMA. The production isn't great, and it takes a couple of songs to get going, but there is some fantastic stuff on it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 30, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
I'll definitely be checking out old evergrey one by one, that's for sure. 

Also, I can totally see audiences singing along to the title track, "Hymns for the Broken."

"Reach out!  [The crowd reaches their hands into the air.]  Show me that you feel the same!"
"Scream loud!  [The crowd screams.]  These hymns are for the broken!" 

What a well-crafted chorus.  Brilliant.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #304 on: September 30, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »
Finally handed in my review for the album. I had to listen to this a lot of times to make up my mind about it in the most objective manner possible. The first two weeks, I was pretty much only enjoying the album as a fanboy. I did find some (very few) weaknesses, but I couldn't give this album any less than a 9/10. I do find the numerous 10/10 reviews a bit too enthousiastic though.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #305 on: September 30, 2014, 04:27:20 PM »

Yeah, The Grand Collapse is a fun song.

Damn, I'm so glad this lived up to the hype. I can't pull myself away from it. My cousin sent me an email earlier saying this is the first album he's ever owned
where he won't skip a track.

I've given "Missing You" a few more listens. The first time I thought to myself "ah, that was nice", but was eager to hear the rest of the album.
The second time I listened to it a bit more closely, and I was floored. What a gut wrenching ballad.

I'm totally digging how they closed out "The Aftermath", too. So simple, yet melodic and memorable.

Cool that you mention the last three songs. I feel they're all very unique to this album, all stylistically different and yet they form a cohesive close to the album. The  'naked' ballad, the prog-metal epic and the Pink Floyd-ish 'goodbye'.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »

Yes, I would agree with all of that.

So, I just read the next video is for "The Grand Collapse", which is baffling considering it's mostly instrumental.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »

Yes, I would agree with all of that.

So, I just read the next video is for "The Grand Collapse", which is baffling considering it's mostly instrumental.

I'm psyched. Bold move by the band, "Wake a Change" or "Black Undertow" would've been more obvious choices.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:30:24 AM by PixelDream »

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »

More details....

I saw on the Facebook page that you stated that the band just shot “the best music video in the world’ with Patric Ullaeus. Can you give us an idea of what’s coming next and does it tie in with what you did for ‘King of Errors’ or is it it’s own separate video?

Yes, this is a conceptual story. It’s going to be more of the material you haven’t seen from the same sort of scenes in a way, but with the longer shots that we have done. We shot these clips and meant for them to be 40 seconds long and in a music video you rarely have that happen.

The next video will be for ‘The Grand Collapse,’ which is one of the most, progressive and dark songs, and most metal song on the album. It’s very rare you get to do something like that, then of course we mixed in new vocal clips and I haven’t seen anything of it yet. I felt like when we were filming this in the forest shooting it, doing it, it felt completely amazing. I have yet to be disappointed with Patric. I am really looking forward to Friday when it comes out.

Read More: Evergrey's Tom Englund Talks 'Hymns for the Broken' Album | https://loudwire.com/evergrey-tom-englund-hymns-for-the-broken-album-king-of-errors-video-more/?trackback=fbshare&trackback=tsmclip

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
So they're doing a concept video series, that's pretty freakin cool!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
So I completed my first listen of Hymns for the Broken today, and I have to echo the general consensus.

1. It's a lot simpler.
2. It's so awesome that I don't care.

Will have to listen a few more times, but the first impression is very positive.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: October 02, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »
Got the album last night.  It is nasty and beautiful at the same time.  And he does sound like Michael Bolton in spots, particularly on "Missing You," which is not necessarily a bad thing.  I have a feeling I'll be enjoying this album for years to come.

"FEELS LIKE A BLACK UNDERTOOOOOOOW!"  \m/

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #312 on: October 02, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Got the album last night.  It is nasty and beautiful at the same time.  And he does sound like Michael Bolton in spots, particularly on "Missing You," which is not necessarily a bad thing.  I have a feeling I'll be enjoying this album for years to come.

"FEELS LIKE A BLACK UNDERTOOOOOOOW!"  \m/

In all fairness, from a technical standpoint, Bolton is a damn good singer, but the songs he sings are just so damn miserable to listen to.

I stay haven't been able to pull my self away from this album yet. It is musical crack.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: October 02, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
What are the odds of Michael Bolton being mentioned in two separate threads on the same day on a DT forum?  :o

See the hard rock thread.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: October 02, 2014, 04:51:59 PM »
Really diggin Archaic Rage at the moment.