Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 103146 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »
Yeah, I find myself listening to it a lot too, amazing song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Nick played it on his radio show a little while ago and I loved it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Nick played it on his radio show a little while ago and I loved it.

Yeah, and the more you listen the better it gets.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:26 PM »
My newest obsession with the song is the snare patterns in the intro and outro and the occasional ride hits. Sounds so damn cool. Oh yeah and the different transitions before the chorus that he uses. Little shit like that makes me very happy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
I like Tom's little solo a lot more than Henrik's main solo, killer lead.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
I'm liking this. Not a huge fan, In Search Of Truth apart. Sounds good though.

Ditto - never got the fuss about them for the most part , but really like the sound of this  :tup

Well I took Lowdz's advice and got ISOT and I really like it , so my apathy toward this band just got dialled back a bit.  The weird thing is that when I did my research on what disc to buy first the reviews were almost all the same - ISOT is good but Recreation Day is better.  Well Recreation Day did zero for me aside from Your Darkest Hour and I like almost everything on ISOT.  Go figure.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:39 AM »
Does anyone have any idea why they haven't done Ambassador live yet? It's one of my favourite songs of theirs. The keyboard solo toward the end and especially it's ending leading into another guitar solo is so epic. And of course Tom is killing it, all that is just begging to be played in front of a crazy crowd.

Edit: now that I check setlist.fm it shows up on 2 short shows in 2004.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:35 AM »

Ditto - never got the fuss about them for the most part , but really like the sound of this  :tup

Well I took Lowdz's advice and got ISOT and I really like it , so my apathy toward this band just got dialled back a bit.  The weird thing is that when I did my research on what disc to buy first the reviews were almost all the same - ISOT is good but Recreation Day is better.  Well Recreation Day did zero for me aside from Your Darkest Hour and I like almost everything on ISOT.  Go figure.
I like RD and there are some really good songs on that album like the title track (epic is just the first name), Your Darkest Hour and Visions but in terms of flow and because ISOT is a concept album that I think they nail to the core especially the atmosphere I just find that album more interesting.

Please be the eyes
That guides me through
Please be the hands to lead me
In search for the shocking truth
Please be my courage
My will to win
Please understand and listen
Please be my friend

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:43:37 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2014, 03:28:12 AM »
Does anyone have any idea why they haven't done Ambassador live yet? It's one of my favourite songs of theirs. The keyboard solo toward the end and especially it's ending leading into another guitar solo is so epic. And of course Tom is killing it, all that is just begging to be played in front of a crazy crowd.

Edit: now that I check setlist.fm it shows up on 2 short shows in 2004.
No idea, but I also think it's a great song, the chous really gets stuck in my head.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
It's a good time to be into Evergrey right now, that's for sure.

I wouldn't have thought in a million years that they would make a return to form. King of Errors and the trailers are so good, the album just has to be awesome.

Listening a lot to The Inner Circle lately. Tom's vocals are exceptional on that album and the intensity of it all is just mesmerizing. I have to say I like the first half a bit more. From 'A Touch of Blessing' up until 'More than Ever' is just so good it's almost mean. Adding to that, this album closes with their most unorthodox song yet, and it's incredibly heavy and moving to listen to.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »

According to an article I read a few days ago, Tom was on the verge of not carrying on anymore with Evergrey. I am so glad that has changed. I'm pissing myself in anticipation of this new album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Wow, I actually thought RD was probably their most accessable album.  Shows the strength of the band.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
I think I've watched the King of Errors vid more than 20 times already. This has seriously never happened to me before, especially with prog metal videos. I simply don't care for them. This, however, is beyond epic.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »
I think I've watched the King of Errors vid more than 20 times already. This has seriously never happened to me before, especially with prog metal videos. I simply don't care for them. This, however, is beyond epic.

I'm fucking stoked Evergrey are back at this standard.  It's so great to see.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2014, 12:54:56 AM »
Yeah I hope the rest of the new album is up to this standard.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »
Listening to it right now for reviewing purposes. I just started out as a reviewer for a webzine. They freakin' had this record on the list and they let me do it! Will definitely post a link here when my review is up on that website.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2014, 03:10:14 PM »
Listening to it right now for reviewing purposes. I just started out as a reviewer for a webzine. They freakin' had this record on the list and they let me do it! Will definitely post a link here when my review is up on that website.

Sweet.  Early impressions?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
Awesome stuff! I must say i'm a bit surprised myself about the overwhelming response they got not that I doubted their talent to write songs because that has long been established. I'm not sure where i'm going with this because in the end I cannot do anything other than to chime in. I can't freakin wait for this release!! I'm still surprised though....  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
Can't wait for it even more now. And I really hope this album is the ADTE for Evergrey. They do deserve to get some more recognition and exposure.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »
I need this album so bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
EPK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc3e49uCqBU

That's sounding bloody excellent.

It really is.

Awesome stuff! I must say i'm a bit surprised myself about the overwhelming response they got not that I doubted their talent to write songs because that has long been established. I'm not sure where i'm going with this because in the end I cannot do anything other than to chime in. I can't freakin wait for this release!! I'm still surprised though....  :P

I guess the band have been portrayed to decline since MMA.  People know what Tom and the band are capable of, and that's why they have gotten sructinised with their last couple of albums.  I have enver doubted Tom and pretty much liked everything he's done.  Torn was the only real weak spot for me, but Glorious Burden was really quite good.

It's hard, when you release quality, you are expected to keep the bar high at all times I guess.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
Yea if anything it certainly shows the potential people see in Evergrey and that they finally or again wrote an album that depicts what fans like about EG, even people that haven't been particularly interested in EG seems to enjoy what they hear.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2014, 03:50:25 AM »
I think Toms voice is something you could never replace in a band like Evergrey. The power, range and emotion he has combined with the dark mood they have in their music just fits perfectly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2014, 06:37:34 AM »
I think Toms voice is something you could never replace in a band like Evergrey. The power, range and emotion he has combined with the dark mood they have in their music just fits perfectly.

Tom pretty much is Evergrey, so he wouldn't leave, Evergrey stops with Tom.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2014, 12:26:21 PM »

Sweet.  Early impressions?

Very good! On par with their best albums, pure Evergrey. Some things we've heard before, but there are some surprises along the way as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
Excellent.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: August 30, 2014, 07:40:02 AM »

Tom pretty much is Evergrey, so he wouldn't leave, Evergrey stops with Tom.
Yea besides singing he writes pretty much all the music and probably runs alot of things backstage so he's definitely irreplaceable in alot of ways. I was only talking about the singing aspect and how his voice alone is a huge part of Evergreys sound. But as you say if someone calls it a quite it's Tom that has the last word, he's the last original member and the one that founded the band as far as I know.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
They posted a clip from one of the songs on the ltd edition on facebook. and tom doing the als challenge.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:23 PM »
I agree with the sentiment that Tom's voice = Evergrey. Drummers can vary, and while I'm too lazy too look it up the drums on ISOT and RD are great, and Jonas Ekdahl has been a great drummer for Evergrey since then, bar Glorious Collision. However, Henrik Danhage is THE second guitarist. The twin guitar attack of Tom and Henrik, as well as their unique approaches to soloing are a huge part of Evergrey. I'm always amazed when watching the excellent 'A Night to Remember' DVD; Tom himself can shred like mad. Think about that for a minute: having that much vocal talent and being a proficient guitar soloist as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
In regards to drummers, Patrick Carlsson is by far the best drummer Evergrey ever had, he was amazing.  Wish he'd do more music, as far as I know, Evergrey was his only gig.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
In regards to drummers, Patrick Carlsson is by far the best drummer Evergrey ever had, he was amazing.  Wish he'd do more music, as far as I know, Evergrey was his only gig.

I feel ya, he had the intricate drumming going on full force. However, Jonas Ekdahl brought in more groove-based drumming from TIC on, which I liked. And he wasn't bad on the A Night to Remember DVD either, even when playing PC's parts.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
I have no problem with Jonas at all, I'm just more of a fan of Patrick.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2014, 05:12:04 AM »
Man I can't wait for this album. I know my copy is being freshly baked somewhere and just waiting for the deliver call.