Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 313854 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #2205 on: August 29, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »
Cool thanks for the recommendation guys! I'll also cgecout Oceanborn at some point.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2206 on: August 29, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
For those of you that miss Annette...

The Dark Element - title track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHdSv9TmdI

THE DARK ELEMENT, the new musical project featuring former NIGHTWISH vocalist Anette Olzon and Finnish guitarist and songwriter Jani Liimatainen, will release its self-titled debut album on November 10 via Frontiers Music Srl.

Since word of this project got out, fans have been frothing at the mouth with anticipation for its arrival. And no wonder considering the talent involved! Anette is widely known for being the immaculate voice on the hit albums from NIGHTWISH, "Dark Passion Play" and "Imaginareum". Jani has recently been busy in CAIN'S OFFERING alongside STRATOVARIUS singer Timo Kotipelto, but left a deep mark on the minds of all power metal fans thanks to his time in SONATA ARCTICA.

Said Liimatainen: "I have always been a big fan of Anette's voice and when the opportunity to work with her arose, writing and producing an album, it was something I just couldn't say no! It has been a blast working on the songs and I can't wait for everyone to hear the final result. This will be epic! The songs are extremely melodic and to the point. My goal has been to write catchy songs with hooks that will haunt your dreams, and I think it's pretty much 'mission accomplished.' Stay tuned for something special!"

Added Olzon: "I am so looking forward to this album and I believe our collaboration worked like a perfect match and I am really happy that Jani and Frontiers asked me to do this with them!"

"The Dark Element" track listing:

01. The Dark Element
02. My Sweet Mystery
03. Last Good Day
04. Here's To You
05. Someone You Used To Know
06. Dead To Me
07. Halo
08. I Cannot Raise The Dead
09. The Ghost And The Reaper
10. Heaven Of Your Heart
11. Only One Who Knows Me

Musicians:

Anette Olzon - Lead Vocals
Jani Liimatainen - Guitars, Keyboards, Programming
Jonas Kuhlberg - Bass
Jani "Hurtsi" Hurula - Drums

* Piano on "Someone You Used to Know" and "Heaven of Your Heart" by Jarkko Lahti
* Backing vocals by Anette Olzon, Petri Aho, Anssi Stenberg and Jani Liimatainen
* Growls on "Dead To Me" by Niilo Sevänen

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-nightwish-singer-joins-forces-with-ex-sonata-arctica-guitarist-in-the-dark-element.html#xRCgYjBZoptK5sbZ.99

It's nice to see her doing something again, even if it's Nightwish-lite.  It's actually a really catchy song - love the chorus!

Awesome! My kind of music.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2207 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
Ok, I just bought the deluxe version of Vehicle of Spirit with two concerts on blu-ray and the audio cd's of the Wembley show.
 I knew nothing about Nightwish prior to this. I just never took the time to look into their stuff. I am pleasantly surprised, these guys are amazing!  I am enamored by how good these two concerts are, the sound and the visuals and performance are as good or better as any concert dvd I own. And this is coming from a hardcore Rush, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden etc fan!
 I wasn't expecting Nightwish to be such a high energy positive band. I'm glad I caught them with the current line-up. Floor is like an angel that loves rock-n-roll and metal. Their new drummer is amazing too.
 I had to laugh a little, their music came across as spirtually uplifting to me at parts but the show ended on a heavy quote from Darwin.  I myself lean more towards creation, but the music and performance more than made up for it and I'm glad to discover this band.  It looks like I may need to go backwards through their catalogue. What are the must haves?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2208 on: September 13, 2017, 12:28:22 PM »
Ok, I just bought the deluxe version of Vehicle of Spirit with two concerts on blu-ray and the audio cd's of the Wembley show.
 I knew nothing about Nightwish prior to this. I just never took the time to look into their stuff. I am pleasantly surprised, these guys are amazing!  I am enamored by how good these two concerts are, the sound and the visuals and performance are as good or better as any concert dvd I own. And this is coming from a hardcore Rush, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden etc fan!
 I wasn't expecting Nightwish to be such a high energy positive band. I'm glad I caught them with the current line-up. Floor is like an angel that loves rock-n-roll and metal. Their new drummer is amazing too.
 I had to laugh a little, their music came across as spirtually uplifting to me at parts but the show ended on a heavy quote from Darwin.  I myself lean more towards creation, but the music and performance more than made up for it and I'm glad to discover this band.  It looks like I may need to go backwards through their catalogue. What are the must haves?

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience with Vehicle of Spirit!

I'll bet you lunch most people will recommend you check out Once, but to me that album suffers in the second half. The first four songs rock so hard though, check those out. Oceanborn is another must have.

Beyond that, personally, Dark Passion Play is the album that made me finally 'get' Nightwish, even though it doesn't have the operatic vocals. But there is a LOT to love on that album. Pop singles to 14 minute power metal epics to gospel and everything in between... But if you like Floor, go get their latest album Endless Forms Most Beautiful instead. IMO it kind of rips off past Nightwish material but you'll find a LOT to like there.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2209 on: September 13, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
What are the must haves?

That's a tough question to answer, but I will attempt to explain why.  For me, the earliest albums don't quite do it.  It is very early in the "operatic metal" genre, and I don't think they pull it off well.  I think they REALLY come into their own and find their sound on the last two albums with Tarja.  From that era, I would recommend Century Child and Once, as well as the End of an Era live set (CD/DVD).  To me, they never equaled this pairing of albums.  The only thing is, Tarja is a phenomenal singer, but her vocals aren't for everyone, and it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't like her.

For the next era with Anette as singer, there are two albums.  Dark Passion Play has some good moments.  But I think it falls short for a few reasons.  One is that the music was written before they brought Anette in, and the songs aren't really written to her strengths at all.  Also, the opener, The Poet and the Pendulum, just gets the album off on the wrong foot for me.  It is a huge epic, but is so self-indulgent as to just be eyeroll inducing for me.  Couple that with a bunch of the tracks being Tuomas rants about Tarja, and the whole album just seems silly and pointless to me.  The next album, Imaginaerum, was written with Anette's voice in mind, and is fantastic. 

For the Floor era, although she is easily the best singer Nightwish has ever had, and I love her being in the band, they have only done one studio album with her, and I don't like it.  So while I feel that anything with her on it should get the nod, I can't recommend anything from the Floor era...yet.

So my recommendations boil down to:
-Century Child
-Once
-End of an Era (live)
-Imaginaerum
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2210 on: September 13, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »

Angels Fall First - glorified demo.  No need to own unless you are a completest. 

Oceanborn and Wishmaster are their two power metal/neoclassical style records, with the later being the pinnacle of that sound.

Century Child and Once saw the band turning more into the big, epic, orchestral beast it is now.  Century Child is a little of both - some faster, power metal like songs, and some big bombastic stuff.  Once is the pinnacle of that style and is also  the last album with Tarja, their original singer.

Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum introduced Annette Olzon as their new vocalist.  Orchestration is HUGE on these albums, and they've carried on from where they left off on Once - big, bombastic songs.  Both of these albums have multiple songs featured on Vehicle of Spirit.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful features Floor Jansen as a the new/current singer and is the tour where they recorded Vehicle of Spirit. The album was influenced by the writings and evolutionary theories of Darwin and Richard Dawkins, which explains the quotes used and lyrics.  It pretty much carries on with the current sound and style established after Century Child, and a good portion of the record is performed on Vehicle of Spirit.

My recommendations would be Wishmaster and Once for the Tarja era, and DPP/Imaginaerum for the Annette era.  If you like Floor and VoS, then you'd like EFMB.    Edit - I agree with Bosk's recommendations too if you want to pare them down a bit.  The Tarja era can be condensed into the live album.

Century Child tends to lose steam with me after Ever Dream, but the first handful of songs are awesome.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2211 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
I'll say what I always say - Once is great, but Century Child is the best them.  Imaginaerum is a good third choice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2212 on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
Century Child tends to lose steam with me after Ever Dream, but the first handful of songs are awesome.

It does tend to lose steam a bit before the big, epic closer, Beauty of the Beast.  But where you drew the line jumped out at me.  I'm kind of surprised you didn't go one more song farther, because Slaying the Dreamer is a BEAST.  You no likey?

And going back to the closer, it took awhile for it to really click with me because I didn't give it a chance.  For me, the first 5 songs were awesome.  Then it kinda lost steam over the next 3 tracks (not that they are bad--they just aren't as strong as the first 5, and two of them are slower songs).  I would stick it out for Phantom, which is AMAZING, and then tune out again.  Destiny of Chaos, who doesn't post much on this side anymore, raved about the song for the longest time, so I paid closer attention to it and realized what an amazing song it is.  So, anyway, that's 7 songs out of 10 that I REALLY like, which is a pretty good ratio.

I'll say what I always say - Once is great, but Century Child is the best them. 

Yeah, to put it another way:  Century Child is the band really finding themselves and their sound (with Tarja and Marco, anyway).  Once is taking that and making it more polished and radio-friendly.  Which on one hand, could be considered taking it up a notch by perfecting it.  But could also be considered on the other hand as watering it down just a bit to make it more accessible to the masses.  Either way, it's a good album.  It just comes down to whether or not you prefer that more radio-friendly approach.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2213 on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Gotta agree with bosk on the self-indulgent nature of some of the songs post-Tarja. Poet is an amazing song imo but when you think about it that is the ultimate ego stroke. Could do without the spoken part. Same goes for Song of Myself on Imaginaerum...

I forgot about Ever Dream, how is that possible? One of their greatest songs.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2214 on: September 13, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »
Thanks you guys for taking the time to help me out with this!  Btw, which of the two concerts on Vehicle of Spirit do you like best. I've watched each of them once and they both have their strong points. I found the song "Sleeping Sun" on the disc 2 to be hauntingly beautiful! Floor Jansen owned the stage on that one..  The production seemed a little bigger for the outdoor show as well..

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2215 on: September 13, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »

It does tend to lose steam a bit before the big, epic closer, Beauty of the Beast.  But where you drew the line jumped out at me.  I'm kind of surprised you didn't go one more song farther, because Slaying the Dreamer is a BEAST.  You no likey?

No, I love that song.  I couldn't remember if it came before or after Ever Dream and was too lazy to open my phone and check the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2216 on: September 13, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »
Thanks you guys for taking the time to help me out with this!  Btw, which of the two concerts on Vehicle of Spirit do you like best. I've watched each of them once and they both have their strong points. I found the song "Sleeping Sun" on the disc 2 to be hauntingly beautiful! Floor Jansen owned the stage on that one..  The production seemed a little bigger for the outdoor show as well..

I haven't bought or seen it, so I can't comment. 

That does, however, jog my memory that there is a pre-Endless Forms Most Beautiful live release with Floor that is REALLY good (even though it is a bit short).  The Showtime, Storytime CD/DVD set from Wacken is terrific.  I would highly recommend it.  It's a good performance of basically a "hits" set from up through their prior album.  I don't remember whether that was Floor's VERY first show, or was after just a few shows.  You can tell she is still finding her way with them just a bit.  But she is still amazing.

No, I love that song.  I couldn't remember if it came before or after Ever Dream and was too lazy to open my phone and check the album.

Oh, okay.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: September 13, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »

I like the Wembley show more personally, but both are great.

Also, pretty much agree with what everyone else is recommending.

I find EFMB to be my favorite album of theirs, but Once isn't far behind.  Century Child is definitely great and was my intro to the band. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2218 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
Back to the Showtime, Storytime live set for a second:  I know Floor gets praised--and rightly so--for her stunning performance on Ghost Love Score, especially what she does with the end of the song.  Chills!  But the vamping she does at the end of Storytime is equally glorious and often overlooked.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2219 on: September 13, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »
Back to the Showtime, Storytime live set for a second:  I know Floor gets praised--and rightly so--for her stunning performance on Ghost Love Score, especially what she does with the end of the song.  Chills!  But the vamping she does at the end of Storytime is equally glorious and often overlooked.

Mine is in She is My Sin. The last chorus, man does she belt that out so good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2220 on: September 13, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
Just by watching the concert dvd's, it looks like Nightwish has a large following. Are they more recognized around the world than Dream Theater?
 I know the concerts were filmed in Europe, where there is much more appreciation for symphonic metal and Prog rock. It appears Nightwish has achieved arena status, which is awesome!  Dream Theater deserves arena status too..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
Just by watching the concert dvd's, it looks like Nightwish has a large following. Are they more recognized around the world than Dream Theater?
 I know the concerts were filmed in Europe, where there is much more appreciation for symphonic metal and Prog rock. It appears Nightwish has achieved arena status, which is awesome!  Dream Theater deserves arena status too..

Nightwish definitely have a strong following in Europe, more so than DT.  DT may have a larger audience in the US though, it may be close.  They both played the same venue in NYC fairly recently with DT drawing a slightly larger crowd (from my own eyes) plus were alone vs. Nightwish with Sabaton and Delain.  The following tour, Nightwish played smaller venues in the area, but sold them out.  DT seem to be struggling to sell tickets at the moment, but if they also went to a smaller venue like NW did, I think it would sell out or close to it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2222 on: September 13, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
Yeah, I find it a bit discouraging that DT is struggling to sell tix. I hope they come back with a vengeance on their next album and do well on the following tour.
I actually think a DT and NW co-headline tour would be awesome! Though it will probably never happen.  I was reading the biographies of the band members on the NW website and checking out their favorite bands and influences. I was surprised only one member made any mention of DT.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #2223 on: September 13, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
I mean I'm looking at the venues that Nightwish and DT are playing in Anaheim and both of them have been playing the City National Grove of Anaheim.  Only 1,700 people.  Heck, Nightwish is coming back to that venue next year.  I'm probably not going to get tickets for that since they are too expensive for me.  $58 plus $15 fee for the worst seats.

In comparison, I'm seeing Breaking Benjamin and Halestorm within a week span at the House of Blues in Anaheim and I'm paying $58 and $46.50 total and honestly, I like those bands better than Nightwish so I feel like I got better value (I like Nightwish from what I heard from Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and I do want to dive into more of their stuff, but I just can't justify paying at least $70+ for a ticket for any band, unless it is Alter Bridge playing with an orchestra like they are doing at Royal Albert Hall in October.  That's the only exception).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2224 on: September 13, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

Nightwish definitely have a strong following in Europe, more so than DT.  DT may have a larger audience in the US though, it may be close. 

Yeah, I think that's about right.  Nightwish are HUGE in their home country of Finland, and my understanding is that they are pretty big throughout much of Europe.  I tried to find specific numbers for their album sales, but that info can be hard to come up with.  According to an article I found from 2015, they had sold over 8 million albums by that date, and they attributed over a million each to Once and Dark Passion Play.  Their Wikipedia page says over 9 million.  I am pretty sure that is more than DT by just a little.  But the difference is that DT peaked out in terms of popularity early in their career, whereas Nightwish has peaked in the last decade and is probably more popular right now

EDIT:  Right after typing that post, I found this saying DT has sold 12 million worldwide:  https://dreamtheater.wikia.com/wiki/Dream_Theater  But the last sentence above in bold is still true, I think.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: September 13, 2017, 05:34:20 PM »
I mean I'm looking at the venues that Nightwish and DT are playing in Anaheim and both of them have been playing the City National Grove of Anaheim.  Only 1,700 people.  Heck, Nightwish is coming back to that venue next year.  I'm probably not going to get tickets for that since they are too expensive for me.  $58 plus $15 fee for the worst seats.

In comparison, I'm seeing Breaking Benjamin and Halestorm within a week span at the House of Blues in Anaheim and I'm paying $58 and $46.50 total and honestly, I like those bands better than Nightwish so I feel like I got better value (I like Nightwish from what I heard from Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and I do want to dive into more of their stuff, but I just can't justify paying at least $70+ for a ticket for any band, unless it is Alter Bridge playing with an orchestra like they are doing at Royal Albert Hall in October.  That's the only exception).

If it makes a difference, Nightwish's US tour next year is said to be of all old material and re-worked songs.  I think that makes it a pretty unique tour.  Maybe that changes or only reaffirms your feelings on the price.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: September 13, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
The Showtime, Storytime CD/DVD set from Wacken is terrific.  I would highly recommend it.  It's a good performance of basically a "hits" set from up through their prior album.  I don't remember whether that was Floor's VERY first show, or was after just a few shows.  You can tell she is still finding her way with them just a bit.  But she is still amazing.

Far from it.  Her first show was long before that.  Annette was gassed in October during the tour - I remember, because I was leaving a conference in San Fran the night that she was playing like her 2nd show at The Warfield, and couldn't go; Wacken was filmed almost a year later in August.

Quick search... Floor's first show was in Seattle Oct 2nd.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: September 13, 2017, 06:48:11 PM »
I saw Anette perform in St. Louis like, less than a week before she got sacked. Everyone looked like they were having a blast on stage and Anette KILLED it. Scaretale was one of the most fun live songs I've ever seen by a band. I really liked Anette...

(Just checked - Sep. 25 was Sauget, IL, and then she was fired Oct. 1st. So yeah, a week.)

Nightwish also had a full length movie made about Imaginaerum. Did anyone else watch it? Only saw it once and didn't think it was bad but probably nothing I'd watch again. Visually it was cool though and the Slow Love Slow scene was awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2228 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:36 PM »
The Showtime, Storytime CD/DVD set from Wacken is terrific.  I would highly recommend it.  It's a good performance of basically a "hits" set from up through their prior album.  I don't remember whether that was Floor's VERY first show, or was after just a few shows.  You can tell she is still finding her way with them just a bit.  But she is still amazing.

Far from it.  Her first show was long before that.  Annette was gassed in October during the tour - I remember, because I was leaving a conference in San Fran the night that she was playing like her 2nd show at The Warfield, and couldn't go; Wacken was filmed almost a year later in August.

Oh, right.  Yeah, I couldn't remember the timing, but remember she was still relatively new.  But, yeah, thanks for helping with the details.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2229 on: September 13, 2017, 08:43:32 PM »
Yeah, I think that's about right.  Nightwish are HUGE in their home country of Finland, and my understanding is that they are pretty big throughout much of Europe.  I tried to find specific numbers for their album sales, but that info can be hard to come up with.  According to an article I found from 2015, they had sold over 8 million albums by that date, and they attributed over a million each to Once and Dark Passion Play.  Their Wikipedia page says over 9 million.  I am pretty sure that is more than DT by just a little.  But the difference is that DT peaked out in terms of popularity early in their career, whereas Nightwish has peaked in the last decade and is probably more popular right now

EDIT:  Right after typing that post, I found this saying DT has sold 12 million worldwide:  https://dreamtheater.wikia.com/wiki/Dream_Theater  But the last sentence above in bold is still true, I think.

To put it in perspective, after Nightwish fired Tarja in 2005, the Finnish president was asked their thoughts about the split.  That's equal to Beyoncé-level interest in the US, where Obama may have made comments about big pop stars that are common household names.

They are huge around the world, and are doing well in the US, but are nowhere near playing arenas regularly here.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: September 13, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »

I was there. Such a memorable show. Think about it... you wake up the day of a show you've been waiting for, and read on the internet the band has fired their singer and have a replacement for that night's show! And then they proceed to knock it out of the park!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2231 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »

I was there. Such a memorable show. Think about it... you wake up the day of a show you've been waiting for, and read on the internet the band has fired their singer and have a replacement for that night's show! And then they proceed to knock it out of the park!

I remember I was driving around the western half of America when all of it went down. I was in Seattle or near it when I heard that Anette left and Floor joined and quickly bought tickets and drove down to San Diego for that show. Front row. Amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2232 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:30 PM »
I saw the Chicago show exactly one week before Anette left the band. I'm very thankful I got to see them 4 times with her.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2233 on: September 13, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
Maybe it was just my bad luck. I saw the band twice with Anette and they looked bored out of their minds the whole time. I actually left one of the shows early because of how just uninterested they all seemed.

When I saw them with Floor they were filled with energy and joy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gazinwales

« Reply #2234 on: September 14, 2017, 01:07:07 AM »
I saw Anette perform in St. Louis like, less than a week before she got sacked. Everyone looked like they were having a blast on stage and Anette KILLED it. Scaretale was one of the most fun live songs I've ever seen by a band. I really liked Anette...

(Just checked - Sep. 25 was Sauget, IL, and then she was fired Oct. 1st. So yeah, a week.)

Nightwish also had a full length movie made about Imaginaerum. Did anyone else watch it? Only saw it once and didn't think it was bad but probably nothing I'd watch again. Visually it was cool though and the Slow Love Slow scene was awesome.

I have the movie on BR, it is really good actually, took me several watchings to finally get it though.
The soundtrack is also very good, all orchestral.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2235 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:44 AM »
Never seen the film, though I did youtube the soundtrack once and it was nice, still have to check it out.

Also, at this point I am certain Nightwish definitely has a bigger crowd than DT in Europe. Quite a bit I'd even say. I recall them playing in front of crowds close to 10.000 a couple of times in different countries. And here (in the Netherlands) they easily sold out two shows (in the same weekend) in a venue that holds 6000 people.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2236 on: September 14, 2017, 05:09:19 AM »
In my hometown in Italy they played the same venue as DT, but they also recently headlined a summer festival and DT didn't do that since 2009.

They're both big enough to play in the biggest sport venue in Milan, but overall I'd say that currently also in Italy NW are bigger, I believe they sell out shows while DT don't, even though the venue is never empty when they play.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: September 14, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »
I saw Nightwish with Annette about two weeks before her leaving the band.  I loved the concert, but the band did look a little disinterested.  They played The Escapist though so that was really cool, maybe the last time they ever play that one.  I'm glad to have caught them once with her even though Floor is much better.

Also, there was that one concert with no real singer.  They performed with Elize (from Amaranthe) and Alyssa (now in Arch Enemy) who were both guest singers for opener Kamelot.  They sung some songs and had the crowd sing others.  There's videos of this on youtube that are really cool.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2238 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »
Also, there was that one concert with no real singer.  They performed with Elize (from Amaranthe) and Alyssa (now in Arch Enemy) who were both guest singers for opener Kamelot.  They sung some songs and had the crowd sing others.  There's videos of this on youtube that are really cool.

That is one I would have loved to see professionally made as like an extra on a DVD. The youtube vids are really cool with them reading lyrics off of paper and everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2239 on: September 14, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »

That is one I would have loved to see professionally made as like an extra on a DVD. The youtube vids are really cool with them reading lyrics off of paper and everything.

Denver if I recall correctly... while Floor was flying across the Atlantic learning the setlist.  I also recall this as the firm end for Annette, because she got all pissy that the band didn't cancel the show(s) because of her illness.