Author Topic: Nightwish...  (Read 312588 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nightwish...
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »
Curiously no other covers are coming to my mind(?)

Really?  There are two others on End of an Era alone:

Phantom of the Opera:  Andrew Lloyd Webber
Over the Hills and Far Away:  Gary Moore

I don't recall whether any of their others are on official releases, but I know they've done a few more, such as Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction (with Marco doing all the lead vocals).

Phantom of the Opera:  Andrew Lloyd Webber :facepalm: I actually hate that musical so I pretend it doesn’t exist and NW wrote that song.  :biggrin:   
Over the Hills and Far Away:  Gary Moore – I never knew that was a cover. Double- :facepalm:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »
Nightwish's version of Phantom is vastly superior to the original. I mean, it's a nice show and has a few really good bits, and the ideas behind the song are so brilliant, but the instrumentation always sounds tame. Whereas Nightwish took the ideas and gave them life.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »
Phantom was the song that actually really hooked me on them.  I've always really liked Webber's version and thought it would be amazing if somebody could ever redo it by just making it more metal, but otherwise staying true to the original.  I saw Nightwish's cover from the 2005 Lowlands show, and it blew me away.  I would have bought Century Child for that song alone.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
I would have bought Century Child for that song alone.
I did in fact do exactly that.

And I was not disappointed :tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
Ah now here's a band that has been close to my heart for some 12 years.
A friend of mine from Finland got me into them, when the first album came, who would later author the Nightwish Biography.

I don't think they have ever made a dud, some albums I enjoy more than other, but for most they have been pretty
consistant throughout their career so far. Given that Tuomas is the sole songwriter for most, that is a pretty good record.

Oceanborn is my favourite album, I played it to death when it came out, at the time I was at sea in the Navy and helped me get through some frustrating times. But Once is their best worst to date, has two all time greats in, Creek Mary's Blood and Ghost Love Score.

Marco has brought a lot to the band, a great frontman, bass player and singer, in his own band, Tarot, for more than 20 years.
He took charge of the stage and took the spotlight away from Tarja's lacking presence in front of a crowd.
His bass playing also added to the Nightwish sound, giving things a real heavy bottom end for the first time.

The whole Tarja thing has been well discussed, all I will say is, that, without Marcello, her manager and husband, she would probably still be singing for Nightwish. Anette, is a great person, sings well live and has fitted in pretty good. I've seen her twice, her voice wasn't suited to a couple of the older songs. But she is a lot of fun on stage and has made the band more relaxed and they are enjoying themselves again.

Dark Passion Play, is a great album, better than I had expected. Yes it will be interesting to hear songs composed specifically for Anette's voice, on a new album that might come out towards the end of next year.

A couple of other Nightwish related bands worth checking out;
Tarot, Marco's band of many years,  the recent double live CD/DVD, 'Live Undead', is well worth checking out.
Brother Firetribe, Emmpu's back to the 1980's melodic rock/AOR trip.
For My Pain, Tuomas plays keys and I think writes a couple of songs, dark goth rock.

Live DVD's, 2 official full concerts, the aformentioned End Of An Era (Iwas at the show, one of the best I have ever seen).
From Wishes To Eternity, a good snapshot of the 'old' band, with bass player Sami.
There's a few good bootlegs, mainly shot for European TV, not full shows, but good enough to release officially.

My favourite cover song is, 'Crimson Tide/Deep Blue Sea'.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 05:56:18 PM by gazinwales »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
End Of An Era's Ghost Love Score = win :hefdaddy

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »
^^ Yup, but my fave version is the orchestral instrumental version, simply beautiful.

Offline Valdor

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 02:12:08 AM »
Nightwish was the first metal band I got in to. They truly changed my life!  :hefdaddy

As for the whole Tarja - Anette debate, I think they're both great at what they do. And IMO Tuomas is the real soul of the band, so as long as he stays Nightwish will be as great as ever!
My favourite albums have to be the latest 3. And yes, Ghost Love Score is the definition of epic.  :metal
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
I too think Oceanborn is their best. It's definitely not as richly symphonic as the later ones, but the songs and melodies were very catchy, even if the album did have a bit more of a straightforward power metal feel to it.

Edit:

I don't think "power metal" is necessarily a right label. But you know what I mean...The album definitely is a bit more upbeat and 'synthy' sounding for the most part.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
Century Child > Once > Wishmaster > Oceanborn > Angels Fall First

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking Wishmaster is one of their two best albums, along with Once.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
I like Anette’s voice well enough, and she does a great job on songs like ‘Amaranth’, but overall I feel DPP is a little too heavy, and I don’t like Marco’s vocals like I do on earlier albums. He provided such a nice counterpoint to Tarja, (listen to ‘Wish I had an Angel’).

Ok, I am going to pretend someone hijacked my account on Dec 09 to post such an idiodic comment. WTF? Marco kicks ass on DPP, which I just picked up recently, just as he always does. And 'too heavy'? Not sure what kind of a mood I was in when I wrote that. Anyway, DPP is a good album. Am looking forward to their next release.. whenever exactly that may be...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »

I don't recall whether any of their others are on official releases, but I know they've done a few more, such as Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction (with Marco doing all the lead vocals).

Phantom of the Opera:  Andrew Lloyd Webber :facepalm: I actually hate that musical so I pretend it doesn’t exist and NW wrote that song.  :biggrin:   

:sadpanda:

If you're going by the 2004 movie I whole-heartedly support you because they ruined the story/singing/etc, but if you haven't seen the broadway live I implore you to do so.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 11:27:53 AM »
Phantom was the song that actually really hooked me on them.  I've always really liked Webber's version and thought it would be amazing if somebody could ever redo it by just making it more metal, but otherwise staying true to the original.  I saw Nightwish's cover from the 2005 Lowlands show, and it blew me away.  I would have bought Century Child for that song alone.

Exactly this. I love the broadway version, but Nightwish made it so much better. I think her vocals at the end are phantastic and I love the way they presented it.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2010, 11:37:04 AM »

If you're going by the 2004 movie I whole-heartedly support you because they ruined the story/singing/etc, but if you haven't seen the broadway live I implore you to do so.
On the whole I actually liked the film version, the orchestrations sounded great, and MOST of the singing was good, although a couple of the smaller parts were pretty weak. Like wtf was Jennifer Ellison doing in it other than looking hot? My two big issues with it though were:
- The Phantom himself. Gerard Butler played the part really well, but he just did not look disfigured enough. He just looked like he had a minor burn on his face, which makes the whole story very silly.
- The title song. Like I said, most of the orchestrations sound great as most of the music is more classical in nature, but the title song is meant to be a big, dramatic rock number, and in the film it just sounds pathetic.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:30 AM »
I'll say that while Tarja's a WAY better singer than Anette (though she is still quite talented), I actually like their more recent musical direction more than their older sound, which was still awesome.  The albums from Oceanborn through Dark Passion Play are all awesome, in my opinion.

I love the greater vocal involvement of Marco in DPP.  His vocals blend well with Anette's.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »
Phantom of the Opera

Goodness me, that raised the hair on my arms.

I wish the Lowlands 2005 version was still up on YouTube.  As good as the End of An Era version was, the Lowlands 2005 version slays it, hands down.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »

On the whole I actually liked the film version, the orchestrations sounded great, and MOST of the singing was good, although a couple of the smaller parts were pretty weak. Like wtf was Jennifer Ellison doing in it other than looking hot? My two big issues with it though were:
- The Phantom himself. Gerard Butler played the part really well, but he just did not look disfigured enough. He just looked like he had a minor burn on his face, which makes the whole story very silly.
- The title song. Like I said, most of the orchestrations sound great as most of the music is more classical in nature, but the title song is meant to be a big, dramatic rock number, and in the film it just sounds pathetic.

Has motivated me to make a thread.  ;)

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »
I'm suprised you didnt when you first signed up.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 05:38:10 PM »
Phantom of the Opera

Goodness me, that raised the hair on my arms.

I wish the Lowlands 2005 version was still up on YouTube.  As good as the End of An Era version was, the Lowlands 2005 version slays it, hands down.

Dangit. :sadpanda: This song was also the one that hooked me (along with Moondance and Beauty and the Beast).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
I only have Once and Dark Passion Play.

Once is really a fantastic album, Dark Passion Play nearly made me vomit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
??? Why?  It's not THAT different, other than the singer.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:28 AM »
??? Why?  It's not THAT different, other than the singer.
Yeah, overall the style is basically the same. ???

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 05:20:37 AM »
Dunno, I found the songs on Once really interesting.  It also had an amazing atmosphere, and so many highlights.

Dark Passion I just found generic, and boring.  Amaranth was a decent song but nothing out stood out.

I just think Once had something special, but Dark Passion Play just didn't really click.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »
You find songs like Poet and the Pendulum, Sahara, or 7 Days to the Wolves boring?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 07:53:48 AM »
You find songs like Poet and the Pendulum, Sahara, or 7 Days to the Wolves boring?

As I say, they never really did anything for me.

Maybe I'll revisit it and give it another spin.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
Bump, Nightwish Survivor for Wishmaster is up now. Everyone go vote.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority in thinking Wishmaster is one of their two best albums, along with Once.

Exactly what I think.

Once > Wishmaster > Century Child > Dark Passion Play > Oceanborn > Angels Fall First

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »
It's clearly Oceanborn>whatever else they did minus Angels Fall First>Angels Fall First.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Came for the Planet Hell, stayed for the Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 01:00:22 AM »
I would have bought Century Child for that song alone.
I did in fact do exactly that.

And I was not disappointed :tup

Same here.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
Anyone ever feel like getting up and boogy down to Moondance? just me?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »
Moondance is a great song. But I never boogie down. Or up.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Enjoyed a listen to Oceanborn and Moondance in the car today.  :metal

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:26 AM »
I have Century Child which I really like.  I very much like the male vocalist on a few tracks. Beauty of the Beast may be my favorite song.

This  :metal Favorite song of all time from them, hands down